Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 9/2/2012 2:10:41 PM   
UTB

Really enjoyed this - brilliantly paced (although I spent about 40 minutes at the start wondering if I hadn't been listening, but it all came together in the end). Some terrific performances from Oldman, Firth, Cumberbatch and Hardy in particular. Shame that Kathy Burke wasn't particularly good, she's usually really good (see This Year's Love for a top performance from her) - her attempt at a posh accent stuck out like a sore thumb and almost sounded like a Harry Enfield sketch.

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 151
RE: RE: - 15/2/2012 4:16:29 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Was quite disappointed by this. I'd only recently watched the BBC series so that was really fresh in my mind and as a result this seemed all over the place. A totally unecessary film IMO.

Some really good performances though and to be fair it is rather well made it's just that I don't see the point in it's existence when you can buy the original BBC series on DVD for a fiver. The performances in that are better, the story is fleshed out better and it makes much more sense.

2.5/5

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 152
Sorry, I've missed the bandwagon! - 16/2/2012 9:52:57 AM   
lelandmeeks

I just don't understand the amount of hype and praise this film has received. Yes, it is well made. Yes, it is intricate in detail. Yes, the performances are good (Mark Strong is always excellent). But NO it isn't 5stars. No, no, no, no.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 153
Sorry, I've missed the bandwagon! - 16/2/2012 10:14:16 AM   
lelandmeeks

I just don't understand the amount of hype and praise this film has received. Yes, it is well made. Yes, it is intricate in detail. Yes, the performances are good (Mark Strong is always excellent). But NO it isn't 5stars. No, no, no, no.

Post #: 154
ONE OF BEST BRITISH MOVIE THRILLER IN A LONG TIME! - 17/2/2012 10:04:18 PM   
soulfood

''A SPY MASTERPIECE''

Post #: 155
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Why Five Stars? - 21/2/2012 6:05:16 PM   
Pop Leibel

I enjoyed this film: intelligent design, quietly cool, several understated performances. It is certainly not the Stinker that some have suggested; however, simply because it isn't the usual run-of-the-mill fodder we are normally served should not elevate its status to five stardom. A good film indeed, but not a great one (cf. lelandmeeks' post).

Note: Cumberbatch is very good and should dispatch TV Holmes (dreadful) forthwith.

Post #: 156
RE: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Why Five Stars? - 21/2/2012 11:01:22 PM   
threshold

In Roger Ebert's review of TTSS he did his usual shpeel about how in political thrillers you have to remember an awful lot of names and events, and often in doing so, you ignore what is happening.
I knew what he meant, so I went prepared.

Even without acknowledging Roger's review, it's still one of those movies where you sort of need a second person in there with you to verify what has happened in order for you to understand what's happening. It helped a lot.
I was constantly leaning over and whispering:

"So is he--"
"Yes"
"Why is he--"
"You'll see"

This helped me a lot in my viewing, even though given time, I would've understood everything on screen eventually.

This movie requires an immense amount of concentration, and in some instances, interpretation.
This is probably a first for this type of movie, considering spy movies aren't always subtle or hard to understand.

The director and main actor are trying to make a special and downright incredibly interesting story subtle and quiet. As probably spies would've done in the first place. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it worked perfectly.

Gary Oldman's performance is the meaning of subtle; his glances, the way he gets up out of a chair, they all require the same amount of attention a monologue or a fight scene should require. But Oldman never over-dramatizes it. We as an audience are just naturally drawn to it, even though it has no real reason why we are so interested. Oldman's performance mirrors the Tomas Alfredson's quiet, calm direction that is somehow always noticed, even though it's trying not to be.

The opening montage of Smiley going about his business with the calm, entrancing and slightly intrusive jazz soundtrack is meant to interest you, and get you involved in this 70's London world, but somehow I was just confused as to why this montage was shown.
Showing Smiley goes through his daily life with the same precision and intent that he goes through investigating? We already knew that.
Lovely shots? Mellow soundtrack? They are already in the movie. The montage is brilliant to watch, but it's still gratuitous.

The amount of actors being awesome on screen is incredible. While Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy and all the usual suspects are epic, Toby Jones has something to do here, rather than being a small part of the scenery. Of course you suspect everyone on screen. But you can't make a proper cold war movie without suspicions everywhere!!!

In this movie, the film-makers have allowed a scene that sums up each character individually, my personal favourite was Jim Prideoux mercilessly killing that owl. It was awesome, shocking, but definitive. While any other teacher would've let the children be excited by the presence of a bird, especially one as majestic as the owl, but he had to take it out to continue with his job. As he did at the end of the movie in that brilliant scene with both people involved embracing what they must do.

This is an incredible experience. This will challenge and excite you. And above all you're proud that you watched and enjoyed it.

4.5/5

(in reply to Pop Leibel)
Post #: 157
RE: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Why Five Stars? - 22/2/2012 1:09:13 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

^I very much agree with the above, I would give it 4 1/2 too.
It's true that if you don't concentrate and expect to be spoon fed information you will not enjoy it. The subtlety and grace is marvellous, it is never over-dramatised and relies on the viewer to keep up. It's definitely satisfying in the end when after you have followed along for so long, the mystery finally gets solved.

Oldman tells us more with a few small body movements then other actors do with ten lines.
Not much more for me to say then what Threshold pointed out really. Will have to see again to see if it gets better/worse with repeat viewings.

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 158
RE: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Why Five Stars? - 22/2/2012 11:24:25 PM   
Drone

Okay, time to toss my hat in the ring here. I attmepted to read the book not so long ago, having been aware of the films' imminent release and being unable to resist the lure of something considered to be such a classic.

Now, I read anything and everything, and I don't care if it makes me sound like an uncultured buffoon - the book utterly, completely, baffled and bored the hell out of me. I was lost by the end of the first chapter. It was just all so stiff upper-lipped and... slow. I always hate having to criticize classic literature (and rarely have the need to do it) but TTSS just completely beat me.

So... I went into the movie with a certain apprehension, having actually been put off since having attempted the novel, and reading the reviews online which confirmed my experience of Tinker Tailor so far,

But, how wrong I was. I have no idea why people found it so boring (and many of my friends and colleagues have made similar comments) but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for a second. It was just... masterful, compelling, and smart.

Not a single performance missed a beat. And, frankly, I feel ready to give the novel a second go. I agree with the Empire review on this one, it was superb.

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 159
RE: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Why Five Stars? - 28/2/2012 12:16:47 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Anyone else think the white make-up was alittle overused on G.Oldman (smiley)?

Great film btw.
One of those films where you can watch over and over again because you always feel you have missed out on little snipets of information.
Really enjoyable.

Side Note:
Great to see such a great british cast.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 160
Dull - 27/6/2012 4:05:39 PM   
danielthompson99

Dull dreary grey and zzzzzzzzzzz. Great cast, well shot but so so very dull.

Post #: 161
An instant British classic - 7/2/2013 2:48:04 AM   
Mr Gittes

Oldman should have won the Oscar. Same goes for the screenwriters for managing to condense the huge story into just two hours and not making it feel like a crammed mess. Beautifully directed by Alfredson too. I've not read the book but I've watched the series and from what I can tell they couldn't have done a more perfect job adapting it to the big screen. Bravo!

Post #: 162
Struggling to watch this - 16/1/2014 10:14:51 PM   
ladybooger

Very slow. Lacks any pace whatsoever. Turned the 42 incher off after 30 minutes the first night. Second night I turned it off after another 30 or so. Great cast but an hour in I'm struggling to care about anything that's happening. A lot of looong pauses that would have Harold Pinter screaming at the screen for the actors to get on with it!

Post #: 163
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI