Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 23/9/2011 12:14:49 AM   
Deviation

Well I usually love slow paced dramas about English middle aged men (especially when directed by Swedish directors) and I'm quite ordinarily intelligent but I thought this was sooooooo boring. I wasted two hour of my life. Only pretentious people who probably liked The Tree of Life as well love this. Don't watch it.

loljk I haven't seen it lolololololololololol etc...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 91
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 23/9/2011 12:18:51 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Well I usually love slow paced dramas about English middle aged men (especially when directed by Swedish directors) and I'm quite ordinarily intelligent but I thought this was sooooooo boring. I wasted two hour of my life. Only pretentious people who probably liked The Tree of Life as well love this. Don't watch it.

loljk I haven't seen it lolololololololololol etc...

Fur Q Deviation.  You're the only person I like who didn't like it.  Keep your dissent quiet...you're blowing my whole theory that only uncool people don't dig it...you cunt

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 23/9/2011 12:19:24 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 92
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 23/9/2011 12:24:52 AM   
Deviation

Well you know I'm right. THIS MOVIE IS SO BORING

On a serious note, I should be watching this in about twelve hours time. I can't wait.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 93
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 23/9/2011 12:27:58 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

Well you know I'm right. THIS MOVIE IS SO BORING

On a serious note, I should be watching this in about twelve hours time. I can't wait.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 94
Still unsure..... - 23/9/2011 9:32:41 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

On one hand it was brilliantly acted and the whole design of the film was outstanding - if you didn't know any of the actors and walked in halfway through, you could genuinely be mistaken for thinking it was actually filmed in 1973, but on the otherhand, it was very complicated and very slow. I don't mind the fact that there were no 'Point Break' style footchases or 'Bourne' style car escapes, and I think the film has to be commended for not walking the viewer through the plot step-by-step, but with all the flashbacks, different names being used and spy-jargon being thrown around, at times I found myself not having a clue what the hell was going on. Flashbacks pop into the story which leave you utterly bewildered as to what purpose they hold. The minute the film finishes you think 'I really need to watch that again' but then, due to the fact that it was such a long, hard, silent watch, you question whether you could actually sit through it again.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 95
RE: Still unsure..... - 23/9/2011 5:15:13 PM   
Deviation

It's excellent and one of the finest thrillers (even though it is more of a drama) I've seen in ages which wonderfully reminded of a 70s political thriller. Also, I'm genuinely surprised that people find this complicated or slow.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Bobby TwoTimes)
Post #: 96
RE: Still unsure..... - 23/9/2011 5:22:41 PM   
thetruth

I wouldnt agree with it being complicated,but it possibly is quite slow for some people.
I still think it adds to the quality of the film.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 97
RE: Still unsure..... - 23/9/2011 5:41:25 PM   
Deviation

Two things I didn't get as there was some distractions in the cinema I was watching it in (loud projectionist who left the projection room while talking on his mobile and a bizarre old man who came in the cinema exactly in the airfield scene).

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

So who was Witchcraft? I got that he was mostly a smokescreen and a distraction but I missed the part where Smiley mentions his name to Toby in the airfield.

SPOILERS END

quote:

quote:

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 98
RE: Still unsure..... - 23/9/2011 5:59:56 PM   
thetruth

quote:

Two things I didn't get as there was some distractions in the cinema I was watching it in (loud projectionist who left the projection room while talking on his mobile and a bizarre old man who came in the cinema exactly in the airfield scene).

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

So who was Witchcraft? I got that he was mostly a smokescreen and a distraction but I missed the part where Smiley mentions his name to Toby in the airfield.

SPOILERS END

SPOILERS ALERT!!!!

Witchcraft isnt a person,itīs the name of the information operation coming from the Russian spy Merlin,which only a select few in the Circus have access to.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 99
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 23/9/2011 9:14:06 PM   
Gazdance

Wow. I'm not sure what went wrong.

This is the only film I have ever seen where I had no idea what the he'll was going on from start to finish. I mean, I got the overall idea that there was a mole and Smiley was trying to find out who it was, however I lost the thread of what was actually happening in the first 15 minutes and never picked it up again. As a result I had the most boring and bemusing film experience of my life.

I don't think the set up was all that well done. I would have thought I'd be able to pick up the thread of what was going on bit it was all pretty meaningless. Shame as I wanted to enjoy a decent, serious film. Don't think I'll revisit.

Post #: 100
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 23/9/2011 9:21:50 PM   
thetruth

Thatīs a pity.
Maybe a second viewing might make things complicated.
Perhaps i was too engrossed,i thought it all went very quckly!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 101
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 23/9/2011 9:31:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

I honestly thought it was straightforward - very much a "follow the money" type mystery. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 102
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 23/9/2011 10:55:50 PM   
thetruth

Obviously i meant LESS complicated!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 103
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 23/9/2011 10:59:15 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I honestly thought it was straightforward - very much a "follow the money" type mystery. 

I was engrossed,but luckily so was everyone who seen it.
You need quiet to watch this.
Warrior was full of chatty UFC/MMA twats who would not stop talking!!!Twice!!!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 104
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 24/9/2011 7:32:30 AM   
ladytubedriver

Seriously looking forward to seeing this now after reading this thread - going tomorrow afternoon. Cheers.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 105
RE: Still unsure..... - 24/9/2011 8:33:52 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

SPOILERS END

SPOILERS ALERT!!!!

Witchcraft isnt a person,itīs the name of the information operation coming from the Russian spy Merlin,which only a select few in the Circus have access to.

MORE SPOILERS

Ah ok, I wasn't so sure if Witchcraft was the person itself or the code of information so I went for the person as I missed that line got a bit confused (especially since the line was "Witchcraft is *misses name* ) . It was explained by Percy as Witchcraft being the operation when it was first mentioned. I AM A DUMBASS. So basically Merlin (the source of the info) was the Russian, i.e. Polyakov, seen when Smiley catches Hayden right?

EDIT: WAIT, yes he is.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 24/9/2011 8:58:55 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 106
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 24/9/2011 9:01:08 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I was engrossed,but luckily so was everyone who seen it.
You need quiet to watch this.
Warrior was full of chatty UFC/MMA twats who would not stop talking!!!Twice!!!

Sorry to quickly derail this thread, but I had an odd experience when I saw Warrior.   It was a fairly empty screen, and 3 youngish lads turned up during the trailers and *just* before the film was away to start.  I eyed them warily as they walked in and thought they were going to be a nuisance in that regard, especially since one of them sat playing on his phone for 5 minutes.  Anyway, I was proven wrong (almost) when they sat quietly engrossed for most of the film... until the last half hour when the serious fighting was going on, when they started chatting to each other.   Even more baffling is that one of them, after chatting non-stop for about 5 minutes, decided to get up and leave, with maybe only about 10-15 minutes of the film left to go.  I didn't understand it at all...  They looked very much of the ilk that had turned up to watch a film about fighting,  (Obviously I was making gross assumptions) yet they sat through the heavy drama fine, and gave up when it came to the fight scenes?  

Anyway, sorry, sorry, sorry, this is the wrong thread, but I just wanted to respond to thetruth's comment there.

On topic:   I really didn't like Tinker Tailor. 

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 107
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 24/9/2011 9:03:28 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I am full of sin and I say we stone her.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 108
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 24/9/2011 11:53:19 PM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I am full of sin and I say we stone her.

I was just mentioning Warrior,as you said noise spoiled bits of TTSP,which for me,would have ruined the film.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 109
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 24/9/2011 11:55:53 PM   
thetruth

In 2 viewings,strangest crowds i seen.Ever.
Back on topic-whaat???

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 110
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 25/9/2011 12:24:00 AM   
Nate_001

Quite simply this film disappointed me. It's not that it was too slow or too complex, it's just that nothing seemed to happen to fuel your interest in the story to make you WANT to stay focused. Well for me anyways.

I will say however, even though Im not a fan of this movie, it saddens me that it has created a platform for smug pricks who followed the storyline and understood everything that was going on to act like, well, smug pricks. Yes this is aimed at some people here, as well as people on other forums IMDB etc.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 111
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 25/9/2011 12:58:34 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nate_001

Quite simply this film disappointed me. It's not that it was too slow or too complex, it's just that nothing seemed to happen to fuel your interest in the story to make you WANT to stay focused. Well for me anyways.

I will say however, even though Im not a fan of this movie, it saddens me that it has created a platform for smug pricks who followed the storyline and understood everything that was going on to act like, well, smug pricks. Yes this is aimed at some people here, as well as people on other forums IMDB etc.

Ah,the 2 post hatchet job!
Though it was addressed to you Dev!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Nate_001)
Post #: 112
Tinker Tailor Solider Spy: Review - 25/9/2011 1:11:00 AM   
Edward9630

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a very good film. It had a great story, great cast & great dialogue. The story is just so well done it was great to learn and I loved the ending. My only complaint about the film is it just a bit slow at times which I feel some scenes could have been cutted out. It is still a good film but its just a bit slow. I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 113
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 25/9/2011 3:19:45 AM   
Deviation

quote:

And we're proud of it!111!!!!

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Nate_001)
Post #: 114
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 25/9/2011 9:24:58 AM   
thetruth

I simply dont get the smug allegation.
If i "got" this,i was happy i enjoyed it.
Being smug about it?Doesnt even make sense.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 115
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 26/9/2011 1:09:29 AM   
moehat

I was disappointed with the film, probably because the trailer was so awesome? Acting was superb but, for some reason I was enthralled by the period detail right from the start. Were there really speed bumps in London in the 1970's ?

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 116
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 26/9/2011 1:13:58 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nate_001

Someone seems a little annoyed....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Nate_001)
Post #: 117
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 26/9/2011 1:30:51 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: moehat

I was disappointed with the film, probably because the trailer was so awesome? Acting was superb but, for some reason I was enthralled by the period detail right from the start. Were there really speed bumps in London in the 1970's ?

No, it is a factual error.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to moehat)
Post #: 118
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 26/9/2011 3:22:20 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I'm going to see TTSS this week and cant wait! Although I still plan to read the book as I generally like to compare film and literature.

Art

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 119
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 26/9/2011 10:15:23 PM   
Hood_Man

I did like it, but I need to watch it again.

I didn't like it quite enough to see it again in the cinema though... Definitely a DVD job this.

It had an amazing cast and acting though, and it really felt like it was from that time period. It was quite fun for the first 20-30 minutes just to spot all those well known faces

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI