Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 18/9/2011 8:23:26 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Shadows

The critical consensus would have you believe this film is an unqualified masterpiece. The punters, however, seem less sure.

I say this as someone who went into this film with the best will in the world, looking forward to an intelligent, engaging, grown-up thriller... I was disappointed.

Meh, cut and paste your review if you want it reading. While we're on your initial point though, and its one I've seen repeated elsewhere, but I have to disagree. My wife is a regular "punter", and she went along and paid her 7 yesterday and really enjoyed it. So yeah, some punters like it, some don't. Isn't that how it is with every film?

(in reply to The Shadows)
Post #: 61
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 18/9/2011 8:26:52 PM   
gurnblenston

The ending is a little bit tidy for my taste but this film is just beautiful to watch. the cast are uniformly excellent. tom hardy is stealing almost every film he's in. is gary oldman getting to the age where they need to give him an Oscar 'cos i wouldnt gripe if he picked one up for this. 

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
A modern take on an old fashioned type of film - - 18/9/2011 9:26:28 PM   
bobbyperu

Without a doubt one of the very best films to be released this year - If you are a fan of the TV series you will not be disappointed - It's a condensed version - Oldman is brilliant - He manages to create the physical essence of Smiley in a condensed time frame - Alec Guinness had almost 12 hours as Smiley if you include "Smiley's People" - Oldman has 2 - It cannot go into the same level of detail but is none the less remarkable -

Post #: 63
RE: RE: - 18/9/2011 9:27:12 PM   
The Shadows

quote:

Meh, cut and paste your review if you want it reading. While we're on your initial point though, and its one I've seen repeated elsewhere, but I have to disagree. My wife is a regular "punter", and she went along and paid her 7 yesterday and really enjoyed it. So yeah, some punters like it, some don't. Isn't that how it is with every film?

With respect to the point you raise, it is impossible to disagree. Of course, different people will have different opinions. I was merely reflecting on the critical consensus, which is less normal. You would expect some difference of opinion among the pros as well.

Please find my review, for your reading pleasure:

Spy Games

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a fabulously well made film. You cannot fault it for technical proficiency or period detail. It has a stellar cast: Gary Oldman, John Hurt, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones - French distributor Studio Canal has clearly spent top dollar on the sets, the cars and the clothes, and Swedish director Tomas Alfredson is still riding high on the wave of critical adoration that made his previous film, Let the Right One In, a crossover hit in 2008.

Maybe I didn't do the film any favours by literally reading the book this week.

Maybe it is unfair to compare the film with the television series, which is widely acknowledged as a classic of the format.

But...

and it is with a heavy heart that I say this, I was disappointed.

Probably I built it up too much in my head - the laudatory quotes and five star reviews on the poster certainly didn't help - but that is how I felt.

Trying to be fair, maybe I need to see it again. I was disappointed by the film version of V for Vendetta the first time I saw it, but now consider it to be an interesting and entertaining piece of work in it's own right.

So, where to begin?

The cast, which looks so good on paper, like a football team struggling for form, never quite 'gels'. While Gary Oldman is invisible inside the role of George Smiley (made famous by Alec Guinness ) - not for a moment do you think you are watching the same man who played Dracula, Sid Vicious or Drexl Spivey - some of the British 'made for TV' actors are harder to take seriously. Kathy Burke as love-starved spy madame, Connie Willis is particularly incongruous, but Sherlock Holmes, Ceasar, King George the Sixth and Trigger fair little better. Benedict Cumberbatch, who was terrific as Sherlock Holmes in Mark Gattis and Steven Moffat's modern day updating, doesn't seem to have the stomach to play Peter Guillam, the man who heads the Scalphunters. He is surely too fey and self regarding to marshal the troops amongst the meanest of all the MI6 divisions, the others of which are no shrinking violets, of course. Unlike the actors in the TV series, who were all clearly grown-ups, with the exception of Oldman and Hurt, the actors in this film come across like children playing dress up.

But boy do they know how to dress. Every haircut, every mini skirt, every courdroy trouser is recreated in painstaking period detail and (one assumes) accuracy. If only the kind of care and attention given to the popping of a Trebor mint in the mouth had been given to the script, which, all too often replaces Le Carre's evocative colloquial aphorisms with crude and banal explanation. It is perhaps a minor point, but I don't think there is a single swear word in Le Carre's 1974 book, nor in the BBC's 1977 TV series, so why the need to add them in now?

For the filmmakers, sex, violence and swearing all take precedence over ideology or ideas. What was sub text in the book and TV show is rendered as super text in the film. Characters all too often explain what they are thinking and how they feel, as opposed to letting the audience figure it out for themselves. In the TV series, the threat of violence said so much more than a throat hacked open or a disgorged corpse lying in a bath tub of it's own blood, entrails spilling out over it's legs.

The ironical and ultra-bright Oxford and Cambridge graduates who run London Station, as well as the field operatives who are trusted to undertake missions all over the world, are shown to be just as crass and inept as the man next door, which was certainly not the case in the book. Not to say that the characters in Le Carre's novel are incorruptible automatons. Far from it. Many of them were much more deeply damaged than those depicted in the film, but all of them were at least logical and clever people with misleading and contradictory motivations. Here, however, sensibilities are coarsened and subtleties ironed out, in order to make them more patelable for mainstream consumption.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is a European film with a European sensibility. Funded by the French, directed by a Swede, it never seems to take the idea of British Intelligence very seriously. There is no sense of context given to what are, on the surface at least, trivial matters. A more ambitious film might have started with some sort of newsreel footage, explaining that the Cold War was real, it was earnest and it was a very high stakes game. The ideological battle between the West on one side and the USSR on the other mattered because there was an absolute difference between the two. That is important. But one doesn't get the sense that the filmmakers really believe that, which is odd given the seriousness with which the director handled the fantastic subject of vampires in his previous film. Consequently, the sense of betrayal one felt when the identity of the mole was revealed in the book and the TV show is crucially absent from the film.

I went into this film with the best will in the world, anticipating something really great and wanting it to work for me too. But I came out feeling disappointed, even though the critical consensus tells me what I watched was a masterpiece.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 64
RE: RE: - 18/9/2011 10:52:47 PM   
bobatim

Absolutely brilliant movie! Subtle and slow burning, it really gets under your skin and stays there. The sense of time and place is perfectly executed and the forboding atmosphere of the Cold War was palpable. I loved every second and thought one particular scene in which Smiley drunkenly tells the tale of a past meeting was amazingly performed shot and editing, which can be said for the whole film. If Oldman doesn't win every lead actor award and Cumberbatch, every supporting actor one, then theres no justice in the world.

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

Post #: 65
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 12:57:36 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

The cast, which looks so good on paper, like a football team struggling for form, never quite 'gels'. While Gary Oldman is invisible inside the role of George Smiley (made famous by Alec Guinness ) - not for a moment do you think you are watching the same man who played Dracula, Sid Vicious or Drexl Spivey - some of the British 'made for TV' actors are harder to take seriously. Kathy Burke as love-starved spy madame, Connie Willis

Sachs.

quote:

is particularly incongruous, but Sherlock Holmes, Ceasar,

Caesar.

quote:

King George the Sixth

Colin Firth is a made for TV actor?

quote:

and Trigger fair little better.

Mendel is such a minor character, tell me where Roger Lloyd Pack supposedly effed up, or, if you can't do that, I'll make it easier for you, what scene or scenes put him in much danger of effing up?  Was it his St. Crispin's day speech, or his tap dance number in the second act?  Sorry if I sound sarcastic but a fellow could let a line like that whizz by and not qualify it.  Just like you could type it without qualifying it.

quote:

Benedict Cumberbatch, who was terrific as Sherlock Holmes in Mark Gattis and Steven Moffat's modern day updating, doesn't seem to have the stomach to play Peter Guillam, the man who heads the Scalphunters. He is surely too fey and self regarding to marshal the troops amongst the meanest of all the MI6 divisions, the others of which are no shrinking violets, of course.

Where and when did he show signs of being either fey or self-regarding.  Where, was his character given time to be self-regarding.  And when you say "fey" do you mean too gay?  Gay in the sense that he lives and has sex with a man, but not fey in the since that it...i don't know...shows? No, I'm sorry, he doesn't evince those things you've described but yes, he's probably too gay to tell anyone else what to do. 

quote:

If only the kind of care and attention given to the popping of a Trebor mint in the mouth had been given to the script, which, all too often replaces Le Carre's evocative colloquial aphorisms with crude and banal explanation.

Could you give me a crude and banal explanation of what an "evocative colloquial aphorism" is and where one occurs in the book.  What's an aphorism?  Is "Circus" an aphorism?  Is "scalphunter" an aphorism?  Or are they euphemisms?  If you're talking about Tarr's explanation that a scalphunter is someone who does their dirty little jobs and leaves it at that then that's neither crude nor banal. 

quote:

It is perhaps a minor point, but I don't think there is a single swear word in Le Carre's 1974 book, nor in the BBC's 1977 TV series, so why the need to add them in now?

In the film I count four uses of the word "fuck", one "shit" and one of "fucked"... and one them was only fucking read back to another character from a transcript!  It's not vicar worrying and there more's nudity in the TV series than in the film.  I counted three nipples and a bus....

quote:

For the filmmakers, sex, violence and swearing all take precedence over ideology or ideas.

Put that on a poster and maybe more people would go see it.  I have no sarcasm left for this statement so I will just say that without a single legitimate example let alone multiple instances of vulgarity to warrant the litany of vice you nodded off and dreamt...you... are....wrong.  

quote:

What was sub text in the book and TV show is rendered as super text in the film. Characters all too often explain what they are thinking and how they feel, as opposed to letting the audience figure it out for themselves.

To say "All to often" would suggest you could give us one example.  One example.

quote:

In the TV series, the threat of violence said so much more than a throat hacked open or a disgorged corpse lying in a bath tub of it's own blood, entrails spilling out over it's legs.

But every single Russian person does it!  No, to be serious, I think that this is the license of the film version.  Events are contracted, drama is heightened (sparingly, it's an incredibly understated piece often defusing its own potential to be dramatic - the reveal, that's one example of this, that's an example for you there, just to give you an example of what an example looks like there) and the other part of this is that consequences have to come immediately and in some instances shockingly.  In the book and TV series the undermining of Ricki Tarr is all about the escape passports he used for his wife and kid.  They're not in it and it's a much more dramatically satisfying gambit to have him framed for a murder with the obvious conclusion that he has defected.  It's all more palpable to see Tufty and Boris kebabed. 

quote:

The ironical and ultra-bright Oxford and Cambridge graduates who run London Station, as well as the field operatives who are trusted to undertake missions all over the world, are shown to be just as crass and inept as the man next door, which was certainly not the case in the book.

This is completely the case in the book.  The point of Percy's cabal is that they ousted every single operative who was clever.  The Circus as an aphorism....sorry, sorry, euphemism hints at its farcical nature.  The first character Smiley meets in book and TV is Roddy Martindale who is a gossipy moron.  Alleline is a jumped up moron.  Esterhaze is a desperate moron and Hadon fundamentally with his "an aesthetic rather than a moral choice" is a venal moron. Poor Tufty Thesinger in book, TV and film is a moron.  They say it takes one to know one.  You don't need me to tell you all this.

quote:

Not to say that the characters in Le Carre's novel are incorruptible automatons. Far from it. Many of them were much more deeply damaged than those depicted in the film, but all of them were at least logical and clever people with misleading and contradictory motivations. Here, however, sensibilities are coarsened and subtleties ironed out, in order to make them more patelable for mainstream consumption.

And weren't they yummy!

quote:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is a European film with a European sensibility. Funded by the French, directed by a Swede, it never seems to take the idea of British Intelligence very seriously. There is no sense of context given to what are, on the surface at least, trivial matters.A more ambitious film might have started with some sort of newsreel footage, explaining that the Cold War was real, it was earnest and it was a very high stakes game. The ideological battle between the West on one side and the USSR on the other mattered because there was an absolute difference between the two.

No...that wouldn't be a more ambitious film.  What was your phrase?  Yes, that would surely be a more "crass and banal" "explanation" where the film is merely telling you what it is about without the audience "figuring it out for themselves".  Your stance on spoonfeeding is becoming more ambiguous.  

Stark ideological differences are one thing but was the weight of Smiley's Karla anecdote therefore lost on you?  When he said it was surely becoming apparent that the worth on both sides was diminishing all the time.  It's precisely Smiley's insight of the (at least administrative) similarities on both sides that makes him formidable to Karla. 

quote:

That is important. But one doesn't get the sense that the filmmakers really believe that, which is odd given the seriousness with which the director handled the fantastic subject of vampires in his previous film.

Yeah, I suppose if there's one demographic that have been demonised in the cinema more than the Soviets, it's the Vampires.  When will people learn not to judge?!

quote:

Consequently, the sense of betrayal one felt when the identity of the mole was revealed in the book and the TV show is crucially absent from the film.

Did you feel a sense of betrayal in the TV show?  I think we could that loud and clear from the look on Peter Guillam's face when he saw who it was.  The reveal is there first, on Guillam's face.  Where was there anything so artful, understated or powerful in the TV adaptation? 

quote:

I went into this film with the best will in the world,

and sleeping tablets?

quote:

anticipating something really great and wanting it to work for me too. But I came out feeling disappointed, even though the critical consensus tells me what I watched was a masterpiece.

It's probably not fair of me to be quite so sardonic in response to what is only an opinion after all, but I can't see that you've made one qualified statement.  A lot of damning (sometimes) eloquent statements...but with no root or basis to them.    I think in your review you've sought to eloquence ahead of semantics and that's no use to anyone frankly.

Just got back from seeing this a second time tonight.  I enjoyed it better than the first.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 19/9/2011 1:00:14 AM >

Post #: 66
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 1:04:36 AM   
thetruth

It's kicked off now!But i'm going to bed.
Rarely have i seen such contrived criticisms.
All i will say is it is a testament to the quality of this film that the critics here feel so motivated to....well...later!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 67
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 9:31:02 AM   
thetruth

Right!
Oldman is "invisible" in his role?He's not "Dracula"?
You have an amazing rant about Cumberbatch's character which is completely wrong.
Aphorisms?Really?
The use of swear words-there's hardly any.
"Sex violence and swearing"-are you sure you didnt wander into the Change-up?
To say that in the book the emotional subtext has been shifted to suit the film is again nonsense.
Again,you say that the characters are equally "crass and inept" in the film unlike the book.Now i'm doubting if you have read the book either.
You also say the characters in the film have been made "more palatable for mainstream"-do you honestly expect me to believe you mean that?This is dumbed-down cinema,is it?You do see the irony is that the film is actually made in such a way it may allienate its audience because it is quite difficult to watch?
Then you mentioned something about vampires being awesome or something.
Finally,and finally ironically-you mentioned "critical consensus".I think your own review has been too focused on that actually,and you are making contrived statements about a film that range from inaccurate to missing the point.
Nice words mean nothing without context and accuracy.

Without love we are dead

Post #: 68
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 11:17:34 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Right!
Oldman is "invisible" in his role?He's not "Dracula"?

In fairness to Shadows, he is being being complimentary to Oldman when he says the actor is invisible within the character.  I meant to say last night that I do agree with him there. 

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 69
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 11:22:16 AM   
The Shadows

Boy do I feel sheepish.

quote:

Sachs
quote:

Caesar

Quite right.

quote:

Colin Firth is a made for TV actor?
quote:

... tell me where Roger Lloyd Pack supposedly effed up

I don't think I suggested that any of the actors 'effed up', just that a general lack of verisimilitude meant that I was never able to fully suspend disbelief. Perhaps trying to express that feeling in a figurative manner was a bit of a stretch.

quote:

Was it his St. Crispin's day speech, or his tap dance number in the second act?

Had to laugh at that. Very good.

quote:

Where and when did he show signs of being either fey or self-regarding

Here I think you have a point. A poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was, "He fails to exhibit the sort of steel one would expect from the man tasked with marshaling the troops amongst the meanest of all the MI6 divisions". The actor in the TV series exudes a barely suppressed sense of violence - his frustration with Tarr, the threats he makes during Smiley's interrogation of Esterhase. I think Guillam's characterisation probably suffers from the way in which the filmmakers reworked the Ricky Tarr storyline.

quote:

Could you give me a crude and banal explanation of what an "evocative colloquial aphorism" is and where one occurs in the book.

What about Control's embittered description of the Cold War political landscape:

"To the west, America, he said, full of greedy fools fouling up their inheritance. To the east, China-Russia; he drew no distinction: boiler suits, prison camps, and a damn long march to nowhere."

Or, Smiley's critical self-examination near the start: "'Weakness,' he resumed, 'and an inability to live a self-sufficient life independent of institutions'"

quote:

It's not vicar worrying and there more's nudity in the TV series than in the film. I counted three nipples and a bus....

Another good one that. As I said, it is only a minor point, but why add in swears where there were none before? When Connie tells George she feels 'underfucked', it is at odds with the character depicted in the book. Connie is Smiley's first port of call because of her encyclopedic knowledge, fantastic memory and incorruptibility. Her unreciprocated advances were an undercurrent, nothing more.

quote:

To say "All to often" would suggest you could give us one example. One example.

See above. Most of the examples I might give are to do with the specificity of language. Little things that add up to bigger things over the course of a whole movie.

quote:

No...that wouldn't be a more ambitious film. What was your phrase? Yes, that would surely be a more "crass and banal" "explanation" where the film is merely telling you what it is about without the audience "figuring it out for themselves". Your stance on spoonfeeding is becoming more ambiguous.

Given that the Cold War has ended, the filmmakers might have taken a little more time to establish the 'rules of the game' as it were. This would have helped to provide context.

quote:

It's probably not fair of me to be quite so sardonic in response to what is only an opinion after all, but I can't see that you've made one qualified statement. A lot of damning (sometimes) eloquent statements...but with no root or basis to them. I think in your review you've sought to eloquence ahead of semantics and that's no use to anyone frankly.

Just got back from seeing this a second time tonight. I enjoyed it better than the first.

I can see that I will have to be much more rigorous in my criticisms if I am going to continue to post them here.

Oddly, I agree with much of what you say. Maybe I was expecting too much. As I mentioned at the start of my review, this is a very handsomely made film with much to recommend it - Oldman's performance, the evocation of the period, the visual style. But it could have been so much more. The essence of what was in the book doesn't make it in totality into the film, and that, for me, is a shame.

Still, I am perfectly willing to accept that the film might look different on second viewing, and I probably will give it that chance. I would much rather be one of the many people who really enjoyed the movie.

Post #: 70
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 11:41:04 AM   
thetruth

It was,like a lot of that review,faint praise laced with an afterthought of unwarranted criticism.
Well we're not watching the man who played Sid Vicious-no and so what??

Without love we are dead

Post #: 71
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 11:48:13 AM   
thetruth

You are still clinging to a rather surreal and pompous notion that somehow there is a rather banal superficiality here,covered up with meaningless gloss that seems beneath you.
A criticism of a lack of Cold War setting/explaination does not explain this.That is not an artistic issue,it's a redundantly aesthetic one.Wheither it would have improved the film is utter speculation.
You are simply nit-picking to suit a misguidedly verbose position you have dug yourself into.

Without love we are dead

Post #: 72
RE: RE: - 19/9/2011 12:38:19 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

I can see that I will have to be much more rigorous in my criticisms if I am going to continue to post them here.

Oddly, I agree with much of what you say. Maybe I was expecting too much. As I mentioned at the start of my review, this is a very handsomely made film with much to recommend it - Oldman's performance, the evocation of the period, the visual style. But it could have been so much more. The essence of what was in the book doesn't make it in totality into the film, and that, for me, is a shame.

Still, I am perfectly willing to accept that the film might look different on second viewing, and I probably will give it that chance. I would much rather be one of the many people who really enjoyed the movie.

I suspect you're a good egg after all Shadows.  It takes a certain amount of graciousness to withstand that level of snide jibing from anyone so I congratulate your magnaminity.  For the time being we'll agree to disagree but I would recommend a second viewing.  I could definitely relax into it more because in an initial viewing I was slightly concerned for it in the mutations from the source material.  I didn't have any such anxiety the second time. 

Post #: 73
RE:Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 19/9/2011 6:13:24 PM   
Ref

Must say that whilst I enjoyed the film, I'm with Shadows RE: the Cold War aspect. It didn't correctly convey the feeling throughout the country at that time - speaking to people that were there and living through it (my mother ) - it seemed too laid back.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 74
big on atmosphere - 19/9/2011 11:51:08 PM   
bretty

Fantastic atmosphere, and a raft of great performances, but I felt it lacked real tension and a lack of real twists. The film felt like the an onion having each layer stripped away but the big (predictable) reveal felt almost too low key. In fact the film was a bit like that, absorbing but almost too low key.

Post #: 75
RE: big on atmosphere - 21/9/2011 8:56:11 AM   
filmburner30

A cracking thriller with a top cast and a director with a great visual eye.

Sure the pace is slow but the Tv Series wasnt exactly The Rock either .

Best drama of 2011 so far 10/10

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 76
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 21/9/2011 4:54:30 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: robotlover

Does anyone else think this movie is a total snoozefest? 5 stars!?! - my arse...

Usual one post wind up nonsense.

Sorry I agree with him. The acting, cast and period detail was good but the pace of the film was just so slow after the opening segment until you found out who the spy was. The hour and a half in between had a few dead bodies of people I didn`t really care about and the rest was just zzzzzzzzzz.Not rubbish by any means but a disappointment to me I just don`t get all the praise. Gary Oldman may well get an Oscer for his performance but ifso it`s only to make up for previous performances more deserving than this decent but hardly stunning impression of Alec Guiness talking posh and looking concerned for two hours.

The Tree of Life was very slow too mind you but I enjoyed that because the music and the visuals were stunning and I connected to Sean Penns characters childhood struggles so a film doesn`t have to be fast paced to draw me in. I do understand why some couldn`t hack the pace of that film though. I just didn`t care for anyone in this film and everything looked and felt dull nothing drew me in. 2/5.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 21/9/2011 5:08:16 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 77
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 21/9/2011 7:27:23 PM   
musht

Great film!!

Can anyone tell me what the French song at the end was

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 78
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 21/9/2011 7:37:00 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Great film!!

"La Mer" Julio Iglesias

Yes, always.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 79
RE: RE: - 21/9/2011 7:53:35 PM   
Dr Lenera

Totally gripping and absorbing without a single action scene or even much suspense, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, considering I often go against the grain with critically praised films [i.e. The Social Network].  Virtually every scene is full of fascinating detail, aided by some fantastic acting, and the editing and cinematography often give proceedings an oddly dreamlike feel.   9/10

For those who have seen it, would you say the TV series is better or worse?

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 21/9/2011 8:52:57 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 80
RE: RE: - 21/9/2011 8:03:14 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Totally gripping and absorbing without a single action scene of even much suspense, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, considering I often go against the grain with critically praised films [i.e. The Social Network].  Virtually every scene is full of fascinating detail, aided by some fantastic acting, and the editing and cinematography often give proceedings an oddly dreamlike feel.   9/10

For those who have seen it, would you say the TV series is better or worse?

The Series is immense.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 81
JulioRules - 21/9/2011 9:32:35 PM   
JulioRules

I'm happy the notoriety this old song 'La Mer' is getting. I haven't seen the movie yet, but if I am not wrong the song is from a Julio Iglesias 1976 live record in Paris' Olympia Theatre, when the singer was beggining his international career (record is called "Julio Iglesias En el Olympia"). Although it's easy to dismiss it as "cheesy" I think Julio's delivery is strangely sweet and uplifting. The choice for including in the film was made by great Spanish score composer Alberto Iglesias (no relation !).

Post #: 82
Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 21/9/2011 10:45:20 PM   
Hot Dotty

Wasting money is one thing. Wasting 2 hours of my life watching mindless boring drivel is quite another. My companions hated it. The people talking about it in the toilets afterwards hated it. I wanted to stand with a placard outside the cinema saying don't waste your money on this unless you are tired of living and being bored to death is a painless way to go. It's the best film of the year? Are they having a laugh? The only thing that deserves an academy award is the film editing which bolted together the advertisement clips, giving the illusion that it was actually riveting, exciting and worth seeing. My friend said "I was doing my best to stay awake" Really sweetheart?.... I was doing my best to fall into a deep sleep and be woken when it was over. I feel cheated. I want revenge. Alas I won't get it, so I must content myself with a rant here. I had to select a rating before I could submit this, hence the one star is by force.

Post #: 83
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 22/9/2011 12:43:10 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Great film!!

"La Mer" Julio Iglesias

Thanks, thought it worked really well over the last few scenes

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 84
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 22/9/2011 2:29:37 PM   
proctorfinglesteen

i thought it was great ,  could have done with being a half hour longer maybe and hurt should have played smiley,  oldman did a good job though.
yeah it was slow but not boring,  i dont get the moaners,  what were you expecting??
             roll on " smileys people" i say

< Message edited by proctorfinglesteen -- 22/9/2011 2:41:50 PM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 85
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 22/9/2011 6:15:48 PM   
nhassell

Took me a few hours after I had finished the film to get to grips with just how good it was. Film making of the highest order.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to proctorfinglesteen)
Post #: 86
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 22/9/2011 6:42:52 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hot Dotty

Wasting money is one thing. Wasting 2 hours of my life watching mindless boring drivel is quite another. My companions hated it. The people talking about it in the toilets afterwards hated it. I wanted to stand with a placard outside the cinema saying don't waste your money on this unless you are tired of living and being bored to death is a painless way to go. It's the best film of the year? Are they having a laugh? The only thing that deserves an academy award is the film editing which bolted together the advertisement clips, giving the illusion that it was actually riveting, exciting and worth seeing. My friend said "I was doing my best to stay awake" Really sweetheart?.... I was doing my best to fall into a deep sleep and be woken when it was over. I feel cheated. I want revenge. Alas I won't get it, so I must content myself with a rant here. I had to select a rating before I could submit this, hence the one star is by force.

Anothet 1 post rant.By someone who talks to people in toliets.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Hot Dotty)
Post #: 87
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 22/9/2011 8:31:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well I really enjoyed it, and felt it was pretty straightforward in retrospect.

A very handsome production.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 88
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 22/9/2011 10:02:11 PM   
dolfinack

SEMI SPOILERS ABOUT WHO PROBABLY DIDN'T DO IT!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okie dokes I finally got to see the film. Pretty darned good all round I have to say. I was expecting it to be a serious slow burner from the reviews I'd read, and boy was it ever. Way to slow for anyone who wasn't already invested in the film by virtue of having enjoyed the book or mini series. If you were going in cold then God help you understanding the plot. My friends are pretty savvy types and they hadn't a notion. They could still appreciate the style of the film, its production and acting chops of the guys on screen, but in the end they were lost.

Couple of small things... did I see a speed bump on the road outside the Circus? Thought that was a wee bit careless after all the work they'd done to make the place looks all 70's. Ah well. The book is fairly complicated and major compromises and plot line changes had to be made to complete the film, and I can just about forgive these. And this Cumberbatch fellow, I really don't get the appeal. Lastly bloody re-edit some of Ciaran Hinds back into the movie!! If you're going to give a great actor billing its the least you can do not to leave everything he says on the cutting room floor!

Good things : many of. The overall look of the film is superb. They really nailed the era and the feel was one of suspicion amongst people who really lived their jobs. Gary Oldman is excellent as predicted by all, giving an understated performance that makes one admire and pity his character all at once. The rest of the cast is solid and I don't have any problem with the castings either, having read the book. Four and a half stars for acting subtlety, style and atmos. Bravo chaps.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 89
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier S**T - 23/9/2011 12:03:18 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

A very handsome production.

I hate it when when people on Empire do this: 

"^ This"...

But yeah....^This

Completely sums it up for me.  A good looker of a film, elegantly handled by everyone in it and behind it.  Well intentioned, and well executed.  I've seen it 3 times now and want to see it again.  I could watch Gary Oldman's Smiley react to a knock at the door all day.

Everyone who hates it tend to disclaim how ordinarily intelligent and how usually patient they are. For all those people who feel robbed of two hours they'll never have again...you'd probably just have spent it being a cunt anyway.   It shut you up for two hours...that alone must make it really good. No?   

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI