Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 17/9/2011 7:17:21 AM   
robotlover

Does anyone else think this movie is a total snoozefest? 5 stars!?! - my arse...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 17/9/2011 7:26:31 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Not a snoozefest at all. Thought the pacing was just right.

Went into this completely blind, not read the book or seen the TV series and steered clear of the review and loved it. Superb acting from Cumberbatch and Oldman and the others weren't far behind. Even Kathy Burke (who I expected to speak like Waynetta ) was ace.

Great film.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to robotlover)
Post #: 32
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 17/9/2011 9:28:32 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: robotlover

Does anyone else think this movie is a total snoozefest? 5 stars!?! - my arse...

Usual one post wind up nonsense.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to robotlover)
Post #: 33
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 17/9/2011 9:34:43 AM   
thetruth

I am intrigued by what peoples expectations were beforehand?
This is no Bourne.It is a throwback to the old days of cinema where your brain was being assaulted as opposed your eyes.
John Hurt was on Irish tv last night.To me he summed this up perfectly:Come see this film and allow it to take you in,we´ve done something special here.If you wont allow that,dont bother going.
Absolutely spot on.
This is slow,it makes no claim otherwise,but to sit back,be absorbed by actors at the top of their game delivering something so well written is a joy to behold.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 34
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 17/9/2011 11:03:40 AM   
jrewing1000

I didn't think it was slow, in fact I loved the pace, loved the atmosphere and loved how the director injected 'less is more' into practically every scene.

I just wish I had an axe with which to hack off the hands of the greedy fucking pig behind me with a family size bag of fuckknowswhat, making far too much noise for one person, and distracting my attention from moments I should have understood, hence finding the whole thing confusing.

God I hate the public.

Post #: 35
RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 17/9/2011 12:01:28 PM   
thetruth

I do think it was "slow",but i dont see that as being a negative in any way.There are very few films made like this and it´s refreshing to be able to appreciate the simplistic yet unique approach.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 36
Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 1:52:09 PM   
Timporter

I went into this film last night with so many great expectations...Now that I have woken up, having been sent to sleep by this film... I realise that I had too much expectation... the word 'luvies on display' came to mind as I sat through this film... the set keeps screaming, look how clever we are ... ignore some of the wooden acting, heavy makeup ... look at all the retro advertising that cleverly places us in a particular time...so, the scenery is great... there's just something so lacking in this film you come away feeling cheated. I wasn't looking for Bond or Bourne... just looking for an intelligent film..... now where is my paintbrush?

Post #: 37
Smiley, That's A Good Name! - 17/9/2011 4:29:42 PM   
Bighousewill

Now I have seen it and having now read the review here it has actually helped me understand the film a bit more, not that I'm thick or anything had a bit of hangover though. Its just I kept on thinking "okay so we're after a mole" and "Mark Strong is dead and now he is alive? is this a flash back? Oh no he is alive its not a flash back" and "Smiley that's a good name".

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 17/9/2011 4:35:46 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 5:05:55 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timporter

I went into this film last night with so many great expectations...Now that I have woken up, having been sent to sleep by this film... I realise that I had too much expectation... the word 'luvies on display' came to mind as I sat through this film... the set keeps screaming, look how clever we are ... ignore some of the wooden acting, heavy makeup ... look at all the retro advertising that cleverly places us in a particular time...so, the scenery is great... there's just something so lacking in this film you come away feeling cheated. I wasn't looking for Bond or Bourne... just looking for an intelligent film..... now where is my paintbrush?

I don't really understand most of what you've written, but are you saying that Gary Oldman and Tom Hardy are "luvvies"?

(in reply to Timporter)
Post #: 39
RE: Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 5:14:25 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timporter

Another 1 post hatchet job!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Timporter)
Post #: 40
RE: Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 6:13:50 PM   
Ref

Good film, superb acting by all, slow in pace - however, I could not for the life of me remember the characters' names apart from Smiley and Tarr. I put it down to the noisy tosspots in the front row (or I'm having a retarded day again).

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 41
RE: Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 7:23:30 PM   
thetruth

Go early like i do to avoid the nutters and munchers!
This is one film you cannot have any distractions for.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 42
RE: Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 8:49:41 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Go early like i do to avoid the nutters and munchers!
This is one film you cannot have any distractions for.

I saw it in an empty press screening, just myself and a friend I took along!

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 43
RE: Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 9:00:33 PM   
thetruth

Now that is how to do it!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 44
Surprisingly involving and interesting - 17/9/2011 10:21:10 PM   
mjscarface

I was expecting a cold, heartless film but was surprised to see how much heart came through. Mark Strong's character in particular gave the story a tragic undertone.

Post #: 45
RE: Surprisingly involving and interesting - 17/9/2011 10:48:04 PM   
jasperjones

I'm sorry, but I was incredibly disappointed. Superbly acted and directed but ultimately, for me, unengaging and frustratingly dull. I really can't understand the raves this is getting, Stakes were poorly shown and by the end I couldn't give a damn who the Mole was or what happened with Smiley's wife. Hardy and Strong the best things in it, but even their stories were difficult to be invested in. I can't think of one moment where the tension was as gripping as the scene seemed to be trying for, and I more than wanted to be drawn in by it. I was totally ready to immerse myself into the world and the story but the film just left me cold and disinterested, despite the worthiness onscreen.

(in reply to mjscarface)
Post #: 46
Loved it - 17/9/2011 10:51:32 PM   
helenfoan

Having read this review and the comments that followed before the film was released, I was concerned that I would accidentally find out who the spy was, or that it would be obvious whilst watching the film. Well I watched it this afternoon and within 5 minutes I completely forgot to try to figure out who it was, and instead went through Smiley's journey with him. This is an exceptional film, that I would recommend to anybody, and Oldman is simply superb

Post #: 47
RE: Surprisingly involving and interesting - 17/9/2011 11:28:10 PM   
Groovy Mule

I'm another person who came to this film cold.  I hadn't read the book, seen the miniseries or read/heard any reviews. 

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is an immaculately crafted film - from the period detail, both in the streets and in the beautifully banal office environments which are expertly lit and shot.  It is an film with an elegant understatement which permeates the film from top to bottom and shows that Alfredsson is clearly a director with a superb eye - Let The Right On In was clearly not a fluke.

That elegance and understatement extends to the acting performances.  As George Smiley, Gary Oldman has awfully big shoes to fill but fill them he does, giving a masterclass of calm, understated acting - never a raised voice and little more than a arched brow is all he needs to get his point across.  Even Toby Jones, who gives the most bombastic performance of all of the actors barely registers on the Al Pacino scale of shoutiness.

Unfortunately, that understatement can only take the film so far and extends to the narrative.  The pacing could be politely described as glacial and after a tense opening scene, the film slows down almost to standstill and struggles to regain the necessay momentum.  Likewise, as the film reaches its conclusion, I expected the film to reach a crescendo as the pieces fell into place but even then, the film struggles to get out of third gear.  Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a huge problem but here there is too much story to cram in.  Whilst I haven't read the book, it is commonly known to be a labyrinthine novel, one of the reasons that the original adaptation was a miniseries. 

The film focuses on Smiley, Benedict Cumberbatch's Gwllym and Tom Hardy's Ricky Tarr but this is at the expense of the four code-named suspects.  I didn't feel I learnt anything about Tinker Tailor Soldier or Poor Man at all and so the final act lacks the tension one would expect.  One is completely at the mercy of Smiley's investigation and there is insufficient information given to get any idea as to who is responsible on your own two feet.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the film (it still gets 4 stars) but I wanted to love it but didn't feel that I could.  Perhaps I need to see it again and I am planning to see the miniseries which I have rented to get some perspective of the wider story.

8/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to jasperjones)
Post #: 48
RE: Glacial Pace?!...bring back the Ice Age .... or paint! - 17/9/2011 11:56:59 PM   
tjf00

I went to the first showing of the day and it was quite busy. Unfortunately didn't avoid the nutjobs as a bloke who seemed to be suffering from genuine Tourettes spent the first 10 minutes shouting out "fuck", "bastards" and "fat cow". Did rather distract from the film and meant I didn't get drawn in as much as I would have liked and found the first half hour pretty slow and hard to follow. Thankfully Mr. Sweary calmed down and I found the rest of the film great. Nor sure I would watch it again, but it was pure class in direction, acting, set design, cinematography and acting. 

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 49
RE: Surprisingly involving and interesting - 18/9/2011 12:09:44 AM   
thetruth

As someone who loved this,and aligned to the Empire review above-there are huge criticisms to be had/debated/accepted about this film.I think however,this adds to the experience of seeing it and honestly evaluating it.
The director has entrusted us with Smiley,his main player,and a story from largely his perspective.That story is in itself flawed,and therein lies the rub.For all his stoic bravado on the surface-he missed what happened first time around.That could have been tidied up from a viewer's point of view to make things easier,but for me it works that it wasn't.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 50
RE: Surprisingly involving and interesting - 18/9/2011 12:16:49 AM   
Groovy Mule

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

As someone who loved this,and aligned to the Empire review above-there are huge criticisms to be had/debated/accepted about this film.I think however,this adds to the experience of seeing it and honestly evaluating it.
The director has entrusted us with Smiley,his main player,and a story from largely his perspective.That story is in itself flawed,and therein lies the rub.For all his stoic bravado on the surface-he missed what happened first time around.That could have been tidied up from a viewer's point of view to make things easier,but for me it works that it wasn't.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  We are entrusted with Smiley but at the expense at being able to draw one's one conclusions about those characters he is investigating and that causes the distinct lack of tension in the final act.  Do we even hear Ciaran Hinds speak more than 20 or 30 words?

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 51
RE: Surprisingly involving and interesting - 18/9/2011 12:20:19 AM   
thetruth

No.
Hinds,Cumberbatch,Jones,Hardy,Strong even Hurt dont get their spoke in as they should.
That's my point,and i accept people will disagree,but that is the strength for me.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 52
RE: Surprisingly involving and interesting - 18/9/2011 12:35:16 AM   
adambatman82

Here's a copy and paste of my review from elsewhere.

One lingering close-up shot defines Tomas Alfredson’s remarkable Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. For a film shorn in dishonesty and subterfuge, it is a sequence in which there are no obstacles between the viewer and their hero, George Smiley. Even Smiley’s trademark spectacles are removed from the equation.
While presented as a complex tale, the plot of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is ultimately rather basic; there is a mole at the top and its one of four men. Smiley must uncover which one is the mole. To delve further in to the actual story of the film is unnecessary at this stage. It would serve only to hamper the enjoyment of any potential viewer, and is unnecessary.

Following an intense opening prologue, in which sweat is quite literally dripping from the assembled figures, we enter in to the world of “The Circus”, the codename given to those at the top of the ranks of the MI6. The old, slow nature of the situation sums up the tone of the film entirely. It’s an old fashioned world, not so much gentleman spy as ruthless double agent. Everything about the film evokes a time gone by, be it the horn based score, the “dirty” cinematography presenting the early-1970’s as the visually unremarkable place that they were, or the pace of performances. The cinematography and pacing of the scenes recalls Jean-Pierre Melville’s post-1965 slate, with the drawn out mid-shots of Le Cercle Rouge and Le Samourai, films whose visual focus come courtesy of the haze of a lit cigarette, instantly coming to mind. This pre-cell phone world is almost alien against a modern, digital landscape.

We are introduced to the central protagonist of George Smiley over the course of 12 months, as the calendar is played out in staggered moments as the films opening credits slowly unfold. We see the man’s day to day post-retirement routine play out, a once exciting lifestyle (which we can only imagine) reduced to shopping trips and swimming in the local park. Paranoia, no doubt brought on by his past life and who he was and what he knew controls his moves. The tab of wood that he places within his doorway when he leaves his house sums up this overreaching emotional disorder. The archetypically cinematic “Quiet Man”, Smiley is as much of an enigma at the end of the feature as he is when the opening titles finish rolling. Everything we need to know, and everything we will learn about this man is done so in this opening sequence. It is his role to observe and decree a theatrical truth; essentially we don’t need to know anything else (and this is notably referred to in a moment of meta during one of the film’s climactic revelations). Most notably perhaps, we never see the face of Smiley’s absent wife, a figure who is the source of his most personal unraveling within the picture.

The film is presented at a distance, an obvious analog for the world at hand, with windows, cars and crowds all stepping between the viewer and the on-screen focal point. Which brings me back to that close up that I referred to in my opening statement, which I so boldly declared as to define Alfredson’s film. For a brief, unwavering moment the truth is revealed, Smiley’s eyes naked from behind his heavy spectacles. It’s as close to an explicit visual reveal that we get in the film, and is a powerful moment.
As such the world of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is hugely cinematic, a feat many deemed impossible thanks to the manner in which the source material unfolds on the page. Based on John le Carré’s 1974 novel, the sheer concept of adapting the mammoth tome in to anything resembling a two hour feature film would seem like an unlikely task, yet Alfredson pulls it off. The plot is satisfyingly condensed, and as a viewer unversed in the original novel the film didn’t ever feel inaccessible or lacking in any respect, nor did it feel like an over-simplified shell of a film (as many adaptations usually do).

Ultimately Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a film about compulsion and fixation. As a commentary on cinema these kind of abstract detective stories have always made for neat analogs to the cinematic cause. As the lives of the central figures become enveloped by the situation at hand, one cannot help but think of Alan J. Pakula’s All The President’s Men, David Fincher’s Zodiac, or even Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane, and all those other great films that have revolved around absorption and obsession.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 53
RE: Surprisingly involving and interesting - 18/9/2011 1:36:53 AM   
thetruth

I must say like your review.
I was comparing this myself to Zodiac,with the obsessive theme,but this is yet different, it is better and didnt go down the extrovert hollywood route.
It´s quite introverted and British,and i mean that as a compliment.
Oldman is a very very subdued protagonist here.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 54
Absorbing - 18/9/2011 12:20:31 PM   
spideed2

The type of film that no-one makes anymore, i.e has a plot and takes its time. Something grown ups an enjoy.

The cast is uniformly great, Oldman, Strong and Hardy the standouts for me.

Sections of the film have since stayed with me too, which is a good sign.

Post #: 55
5 Stars ?....must be joking - 18/9/2011 2:13:15 PM   
violetsin

This film was like watching paint dry nearly walked out the cinema half way through... it was so dull. I think the acting was superb but the direction was very poor. All of the scenes were far too drawn out, the director tried way too hard to make it really stylistic to a point where it was painful....loads of scenes of people just walking around, with no suspense or any tension. Was really dissapointing with a cast this good this should have been a good film.

Post #: 56
I slept soundly - 18/9/2011 5:32:27 PM   
sjmlondon

Great cast on paper but I am sorry it is so slow it sent me off to the land of nod very quickly only to be woken up by people coughing before I nodded off again. Presumably the budget was tiny so we all got was people sitting round, chatting, John Hurt shouting occasionally. I lost interest and left before the end to catch Morrisons before they shut which was more entertaining.

Post #: 57
RE: I slept soundly - 18/9/2011 5:51:53 PM   
mackey

Strange one for me, this. It's impeccable in every respect, certainly slow moving but I really enjoyed the pace of the film and felt it quickened the pulse when required. It really felt like an old fashioned yarn with complexities of plot and character gradually revealed. Even so, it's not a film I love just yet and I'm not sure why. It has all the components of a flawless film but it will probably take another couple of viewings before I work out if I really love it or not. I suppose the best compliment I can pay is that I'd have no hesitation in watching it again.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to sjmlondon)
Post #: 58
RE: I slept soundly - 18/9/2011 6:13:20 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: sjmlondon

Great cast on paper but I am sorry it is so slow it sent me off to the land of nod very quickly only to be woken up by people coughing before I nodded off again. Presumably the budget was tiny so we all got was people sitting round, chatting, John Hurt shouting occasionally. I lost interest and left before the end to catch Morrisons before they shut which was more entertaining.

Y'know when people say to you "you wouldn't know a good film if you saw one" and you don't know what they mean? 

Yeah, well this is what they mean.

(in reply to sjmlondon)
Post #: 59
RE: - 18/9/2011 6:55:12 PM   
The Shadows

The critical consensus would have you believe this film is an unqualified masterpiece. The punters, however, seem less sure.

I say this as someone who went into this film with the best will in the world, looking forward to an intelligent, engaging, grown-up thriller... I was disappointed.

Read my full review here.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI