Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Friends With Benefits - 5/9/2011 4:08:23 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Friends With Benefits - 5/9/2011 4:08:23 PM   
Bighousewill

A bit overly long and drags towards the end, funny but a little too hyper and perhaps would've benefited by taking itself more seriously. Emma Stone is in it but only for about four minutes then she is gone :(

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Friends With Benefits - 8/9/2011 10:35:08 PM   
SoonForgotten2

The Emma Stone cameo is brilliant.  The film is surprisingly good, if cliche. 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/9/2011 2:11:13 PM >

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 3
Friends with Benefits - 9/9/2011 4:37:08 PM   
Hattyhat

Conceptually, there is nothing in this film that separates it from any other romcom - so it's down to the characters and dialogue. The chemistry between Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake is undeniable, but it's the side-plot of Dylan and his father that is the most entertaining to watch, and the most heartwrenching of all. Short, snappy lines ensure that attention is kept throughout.

However, it could have done without the ending of 'we've spent the entire movie taking the mick out of cliches, but now we're going to undo all that and be extremely cliched, and somehow by doing this were being ironic....or something'. Perhaps I missed the point of the movie - I thought it was that men and women can't have sex without complications, but after 'that' ending it seems to be that women need constant reassuring and grand gestures to prove they have the love of a man, and that men are pretty clueless when it comes to any of it. Well, there's nothing like trying to break stereotypes but eventually exacerbating them :P

Overall, it's very entertaining, and the two leads light up the screen every time they're on it...I just wish it had decided what it wanted to say.

Post #: 4
RE: Friends with Benefits - 10/9/2011 7:21:39 PM   
Tech_Noir

Very average. Loved Mila Kunis though.

I'd agree it is a disappointment after Easy A, my favourite post-Hughes high school movie since 10 Things I Hate About You.

(in reply to Hattyhat)
Post #: 5
RE: Friends with Benefits - 12/9/2011 7:25:30 PM   
thetruth

Itīs better than No Strings Attached,the similar vein Ashton Kutcher movie.
Itīs smarter and better written,but gives way to the very cliches it pokes fun at.
Decent 3 star fluff,Kunis is divine!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 6
Friends with Benefits: Review - 25/9/2011 1:07:01 AM   
Edward9630

Friends with Benefits is a very good film. The story is great, great cast and way better then No Strings Attached. The only complaint I have is it dosen't bring anything new to the romantic genre. I would recommend to go see this film. Edit

Post #: 7
Good - 14/12/2011 4:58:06 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Starts off interestingly enough, but falls right into the by the numbers romantic comedy formula in the latter stages. Despite that, enjoyable and the chemistry between Kunis and Timberlake is undeniable. It never hurts to have Woody pop in for a few wisecracks either.

Post #: 8
Friends With Benefits - 22/9/2012 3:38:18 AM   
norgizfox

Avoiding the rom-com predictabilities does work here, but only so far as Friends With Benefits starts to tread in it's slow-drama-like narrative. But those first 30 minutes of the film are pure rom-com gold, thanks to Gluck's easy-going and realistic script. Plus, Kunis and Timberlake do make a good couple.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Friends With Benefits Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI