Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jane Eyre - 5/9/2011 2:07:30 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Overactive girl's imagination - 5/9/2011 2:07:30 PM   
Enzino

I'm sorry I have to disagree. When I was reading Jane Eyre at university I was definitely not imagining Paul Giamatti as Mr Rochester, and I hadn't seen any of the film adaptations, so I couldn't have been influenced by those. I'm sorry to insult the excellent Mr Giamatti, but Mr Rochester is definitely not pudgy. I think Michael Fassbender was a great choice for the role because he embodies the virile masculinity Brontë describes in the book. Maybe it's a different experience if you're reading the book when you're a teenage girl with an overactive imagination, but don't deprive us of that delightful cliché of a sexy, troubled hero falling in love with a plain girl who has a brain! That's one of the reasons why this book is so loved.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Overactive girl's imagination - 5/9/2011 2:07:31 PM   
Enzino

I'm sorry I have to disagree. When I was reading Jane Eyre at university I was definitely not imagining Paul Giamatti as Mr Rochester, and I hadn't seen any of the film adaptations, so I couldn't have been influenced by those. I'm sorry to insult the excellent Mr Giamatti, but Mr Rochester is definitely not pudgy. I think Michael Fassbender was a great choice for the role because he embodies the virile masculinity Brontë describes in the book. Maybe it's a different experience if you're reading the book when you're a teenage girl with an overactive imagination, but don't deprive us of that delightful cliché of a sexy, troubled hero falling in love with a plain girl who has a brain! That's one of the reasons why this book is so loved.

Post #: 3
- 6/9/2011 6:36:40 PM   
Tozzer

This review was hilarious - I hope Fassbender doesn't disapoint ;-P

Post #: 4
- 6/9/2011 6:36:41 PM   
Tozzer

This review was hilarious - I hope Fassbender doesn't disapoint ;-P

Post #: 5
A great Jane and a reasonable adaptation - 7/9/2011 7:42:24 PM   
MMoscow

The main problem with film adaptations of Jane Eyre is that they have to ditch half the plot to keep to a reasonable running time so some key elements have to be omitted completely while others are rushed. I thought Wasikowska made an excellent Jane. Fassbender is a bit too good looking but the idea that Giamatti would be better casting is idiotic. My favourite adaptation remains the 1990 BBC series with Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke.

Post #: 6
RE: A great Jane and a reasonable adaptation - 9/9/2011 6:38:43 PM   
princessa

Agree with the review while there are some pretty good performances.  I felt that the film lacked a heart.  There was no real passion to it.   However it looked beautiful. 

My favourite version is still William Hurt's with Charlotte Gainsbourg as Jane.

(in reply to MMoscow)
Post #: 7
Great Cinema - 9/9/2011 6:39:04 PM   
Bighousewill

I like films not books and this is a film based on a literature master piece but I never read it but I wasn't all so ignorant as I had seen bits only bits of the t.v series. This film is great cinema a beautiful story, beautifully shot and containing beautiful language, not forgetting the beautiful acting. One scene stands out for me, while she is running away she looks out into endless bleakness of the Yorkshire moors and collapses she is like a bird that needs to fly away. Any way that's like my opinion man.

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 10/9/2011 1:43:07 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Jane Eyre - 20/9/2011 11:37:22 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Jane Eyre's impressive, but not captivating enough to be one of great adaptations. It's always been difficult for the screenplay to capture enough of the blend of romance versus menace from Bronte's story. The chemistry between Fassbender, the steamy-eyed rogue Rochester, and Wasikowska as the stern yet beguiling innocent governess, was an interesting mix however. Their moments of interaction were very entertaining to watch, and I wish the "happy time” montage was a little longer to make their tempestuous relationship more solid and the finale less anti-climactic. Also, the shifting time frame and missed dialogue felt a little fragmented to make the story whole, but perhaps that's common after seeing a few longer TV adaptations of Bronte's classic.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 9
RE: Jane Eyre - 26/9/2011 1:16:03 AM   
moehat

Disappointed with it. Didn't feel there was any chemistry between Jane and Mr Rochester. Didn't like the attempt to inject a bit of humour in it via Ms Dench and didn't get a sense of unease that comes with living in a house with a madwomen in the attic. Tried to hard to be 'different'. Will be interesting to see how the new Wuthering Heights compares.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 10
RE: Jane Eyre - 22/11/2011 10:56:12 AM   
szoni

Fassbender could have been a good Rochester, but this adaptation lost its direction at the very beginning, perhaps at the screenwriting. Wasikowska isn't bad by all means, just she is simply not Jane Eyre.
There are beautiful shots and a few intriguing dialogues, but that's all.

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to moehat)
Post #: 11
RE: Jane Eyre - 30/11/2011 11:03:43 AM   
marykate30

When dealing with a classic story, it's as well to get certain lines in the screen adaptation correct.
Jane Eyre is my favorite book, movie,and musical. I loved Mia and Michael as Jane and Rochester.

Revitol

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Jane Eyre Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI