Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: confused as to what all the fuss is about ...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: confused as to what all the fuss is about ... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: confused as to what all the fuss is about ... - 20/9/2011 11:14:41 AM   
hatebox

I'm not sure I understand the whole 'of course it's not found footage' complaint - that's just suspension of disbelief in the same way I'd never believe the events of Paranormal Activity actually happened. The whole found footage aspect is just a way of saying 'things end badly'.

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 61
RE: confused as to what all the fuss is about ... - 20/9/2011 11:52:00 AM   
sillitoechris

Im not saying that I cant watch a movie thats pretending to be found footage.... I loved [REC] and Blair Witch when it came out and there have been some othere goodies too

- just dont think this movie captured my attention enough to keep me engrossed thru all the shakey cam, jump cuts and slow dialogue that the 'found footage' genre brings with it. In going for the 'this is real' angle they have to sacrifice a lot in terms of other elements that other movies use as their bread and butter to make them enjoyable - music, continuity, secondary camera angles, clear story expostion etc

Thats just my opinion....

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 62
Loved it! - 12/1/2012 9:28:58 PM   
dannyfletch

Just got this on DVD after missing it at the cinema and I must say I loved it! I'm not the biggest fan of the hand held camera style action/horror but this had a nice feel to it and was quite an original idea. The relatively unknown Norwegian cast were pretty good and the effects were spot on. It does have a bit of a build up and isn't completely action packed but I certainly wasn't bored and felt very satisfied by the end. I really hope this is the start of what could be a great trilogy

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
TROLLTASTIC!!!! - 15/1/2012 9:34:31 PM   
Ramone87

This was truly one of the best suprises I had at the cinema last year! It does employ the same 'Blair Witch' shaky cam/ steady cam style of film making; but makes the most of it. There are some fantastic set-pieces with the wonderfully designed and animated Trolls, and some truly imaginative ways of disposing them!!

There is a great sense of mythology about the creatures which is represented and discussed through-out the movie as our Troll hunters go about their vid-cam experience; also some great humour and laugh out moments between some truly intense and scary scenes!!

The ending climax with the mother-of-all Trolls is something to behold!!!

Watch it.

Post #: 64
Meh - 24/1/2012 12:52:01 AM   
Coyleone

It was good in parts, but mostly dull repetitive nonsense.

Post #: 65
Trollhunter - 23/2/2012 10:44:18 PM   
lynnshep

Okay. Did not enjoy. Weird.

Post #: 66
Trollhunter - 23/2/2012 10:44:19 PM   
lynnshep

Okay. Did not enjoy. Weird.

Post #: 67
RE: Trollhunter - 4/4/2012 7:51:28 AM   
Phubbs

So Scandinavia has trolls it seems hmmm well you could believe it after watching this film if 'The Blair Witch Project' hadn't been made first of course and there is your problem really, the way the film is made from start to finish is really a rip of 'TBWP' right down to the text warnings at the beginning/end of the film. You really can't help but compare the two, the only difference being one is witches one is trolls.

Let me be clear that's totally fine as the film is actually a pretty neat mysterious/doc type flick with plenty good moments, nothing that's gonna scare the pants of you and nothing that's gonna amaze you but its solid stuff. The whole film is of course in hand held cam mode (or so it seems) for realism which works, the actors all play along with innocent naive expressions on their faces as they learn of the fairytale wonder before them whilst the gruff, bearded, emotionless, big game troll hunter mooches around barking instructions to the camera crew and generally being a mans man.

Its enjoyable light stuff which is directed really well and does succeed in making you kinda believe, you do of course see some trolls, mainly at night or through night vision, so its actually hard to tell if the effects are any good or not, they seem to look good but I actually couldn't decide wether they were cgi or possibly stop/go animation. None the less the finale is the highlight of the troll chasing with a decent looking 'Jurassic Park' style sequence which looks good but like the film is abit of an anticlimax right at the very end.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 68
RE: Trollhunter - 4/4/2012 1:16:08 PM   
blackduck

Think I'd have enjoyed Troll Hunter more if I hadn't seen the trailer. Thought I was going to see an action movie about a guy ..well hunting trolls.
Instead it's kinda a slow movie about a guy who follows them around.

Probally due to the budget the trolls are used sparingly (but effectivally) throughout the movie, so if you're prepared to spend most of your time watching a bunch of people drive around the countryside there is a very interesting movie to be had here.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 69
One too many POV movies - 24/6/2012 12:46:20 AM   
danielthompson99

I have watched too many POV movies lately, and I didn't think too much of this one.
Nice to see a Norwegian movie, and Norway looks fabulous, but I think I may have enjoyed a real documentary, (maybe one about bears!) a little bit more.

Post #: 70
Www.fivestarscream.ucoz.com - 2/9/2012 3:24:14 AM   
jackcarlin18

Troll hunter speaks for itself really, its a film about people who hunt down trolls. It sounds rediculous you say? What gave you that idea?! Troll Hunter has a powerful concept that drags the scenes along, if it wasnt for the story being extremely original this film would have been a big bowl of nothing. I enjoyed the film when the trolls entered the screen but all the other scenes just contain too much planning and explaining; in other words its too boring. I liked the film but i felt like it had nothing more to offer than a good story and good effects. Oh well, it was worth the look

Post #: 71
Troll Hunter - 17/12/2012 1:19:12 AM   
norgizfox

Troll Hunter arrives during a slew of far-too many found footage films. But while the realistic aspect never catches on, it's nearly impossible to imagine a film like this without the Blair Witch style, for this is an off-beat, uneven, and insightful look into both trolls and Norwegians. And from André Øvredal's first full-scale film, we learn that both are extraordinary creatures that need more insight in our media.

Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: confused as to what all the fuss is about ... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI