Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: - 11/9/2011 1:57:57 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: ClarisseLoughrey

Pleasantly surprised at how fun and joyful this movie was. Definitely agree that it seemed very much in the same vein as Rare Exports, with a similar dry sense of humour and use of Scandinavian mythology to poke fun at Hollywood genre tropes.

I wonder whether people who didn't like this movie were just disappointed it wasn't the horror movie they expected? The promotion of it made it out to be something really intense, while the actual movie is much sillier, fantastical, and kind of sweet in some ways. The humour was also subtle enough that it kind of catches you off guard, this definitely doesn't sit up and scream "comedy" to you.

With respect,the Blair Witch bullshit "poking" fun at certain genres doesnt say much for Norwegian contemporary film making.
Sweet??

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to ClarisseLoughrey)
Post #: 31
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 11:05:03 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: ClarisseLoughrey

Pleasantly surprised at how fun and joyful this movie was. Definitely agree that it seemed very much in the same vein as Rare Exports, with a similar dry sense of humour and use of Scandinavian mythology to poke fun at Hollywood genre tropes.

I wonder whether people who didn't like this movie were just disappointed it wasn't the horror movie they expected? The promotion of it made it out to be something really intense, while the actual movie is much sillier, fantastical, and kind of sweet in some ways. The humour was also subtle enough that it kind of catches you off guard, this definitely doesn't sit up and scream "comedy" to you.

With respect,the Blair Witch bullshit "poking" fun at certain genres doesnt say much for Norwegian contemporary film making.
Sweet??

What?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 32
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 11:17:03 AM   
thetruth

Emmm,in no way would i describe this as "sweet" in any aspect.
As for the poking fun at certain genres,that is sooo boring and done by Blair Witch a long time ago(and that was shit).
Cant elaborate more than that!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 11:19:27 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

As for the poking fun at certain genres,that is sooo boring and done by Blair Witch a long time ago(and that was shit).

Blair Witch wasn't poking fun at anything when it was released.

Sweet wouldn't be the word I would use either, but the film has a good natured humour about it, while never winking at the audience.

But you hate the film and nothing anyone says will ever change your mind.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 34
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 11:52:58 AM   
hatebox

quote:

How can you enjoy it but not recommend it??

Quite easily. I'd only bother to recommend a film if I thought it was very good, and this was only mildly diverting.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 11/9/2011 11:54:16 AM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 35
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 11:55:08 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Sweet wouldn't be the word I would use either, but the film has a good natured humour about it, while never winking at the audience.

Well to be honest,i never took Blair to be poking fun either,i was just commenting on someone else saying it was,and the general subscription among quite a few people since its release that it was.
And making that comparison with this film.
I think Blair is just a simple spoof documentary like Troll Hunter,which itself takes the proverbals out of Michael Moore(hes even mentioned) documentaries rather than other genres.
And i dont hate it!It was different,but not what was written on the box.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 36
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 11:58:25 AM   
thetruth

And for silly,fantastical and warm,try Where The Wild Things Are.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 37
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 12:04:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Well to be honest,i never took Blair to be poking fun either,i was just commenting on someone else saying it was,and the general subscription among quite a few people since its release that it was.
And making that comparison with this film.
I think Blair is just a simple spoof documentary like Troll Hunter,which itself takes the proverbals out of Michael Moore(hes even mentioned) documentaries rather than other genres.
And i dont hate it!It was different,but not what was written on the box.

Sitting in an audience in 1999 watching it, I do not think anyone was looking at it as a spoof. Yes it was "fake" , but a highly effective horror movie at that time.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 38
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 12:29:00 PM   
thetruth

Without going off thread,i just laughed at the end!And not from humour!
Didnt feel cheated that way with Trollhunter,just a bit mislead/ let down.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 39
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 2:03:14 PM   
adambatman82

I wasn't a fan of it. Here's a copy + paste of my review -

THE DEATH OF THE PSEUDO-VÉRITÉ – ANDRÉ ØVREDAL’S THE TROLL HUNTER

What begins as an energetic, almost enthusiastic slice of found-footage inspired drama, fast becomes a dull, monotonous bore, in André Øvredal’s The Troll Hunter. Something of a minor phenomenon on the cult film festival circuit of 2011, Øvredal’s movie hails from Scandinavia [obligatory "yet an English language remake is already in production" remark here], and brings with it a tale ground in a culture ever so slightly, but crucially different from the norm. An adventure film in the vein of Cloverfield, as opposed to the typical found footage staple of the horror movie, The Troll Hunter tells the story of a group of student filmmakers who join the titular character, a man under government employ charged with the task of controlling the national troll populace, and his quest to find a rogue creature.

Much of the humour stems from the self-aware stead that the film holds itself in. References to populist-documentarian demigod Michael Moore are thrown out, further cementing the verite aspirations in the real, but its this comedic streak which brings with it the film’s greatest failing, and thats in the performances that litter the movie. Basically, the overt perfomances hampers the pseudo-Cinéma vérité credentials that the film aspires towards. Many of the performances (though not all) are far too over the top, resulting in a situation whereby we are never fully immersed in the picture. Apparently many of the supporting players are famous Norwegian comedians, which is ultimately fairly damaging for the tone of the movie.

It’s not all bad though. Norway makes for a stunning backdrop to a film, with the beautiful landscape of the fjords making for a visually exciting picture. Equally as impressive is the effective sound design, which is infinitely more potent a conveyor of danger and fear than the dated and uninspired digital effects.
The mythology of the piece is well crafted, witty and, most importantly, rather engaging. The troll conspiracy at the heart of the film plays on the conventions of fairytales and “genuine” conspiracies to great effect, and is the most satisfying aspect of the production. Said conspiracy is ground in detail, with everything from electricity pylons and bear population control all “in on it”. It’s almost ironic that Øvredal’s attempts to ground the outlandish tale in some kind of reality work much better here in the mythology than they do in the films aesthetic aspirations (the explanation for why trolls turn to stone is startlingly plausible).

Ultimately though, The Troll Hunter would have made for a great short, but the expanded running time of a feature film just doesn’t suit the concept. Overlong and largely dull, The Troll Hunter quite simply doesn’t satisfy on the interesting and quirky premise that the concept suggested. That Øvredal’s film follows just one week after the failure of Apollo 18 is hopefully a sign of a once mildly-interesting sub-genre in complete decline.

Reposez en paix, faux objet trouvé.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 40
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 2:40:49 PM   
Deviation

quote:

And for silly,fantastical and warm,try Where The Wild Things Are.

For some reason, the last thing I found that to be was warm (not until the last few shots) and silly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 41
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 3:00:18 PM   
thetruth

I´d say that review is fair.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 42
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 3:02:18 PM   
thetruth

It´s very silly!
I thought it was very warm too,after a serious start.
And it´s visually very impressive.
Did you not like it then?

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 43
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 3:04:38 PM   
Deviation

I loved it but with every warm feeling came a depressed monster (most of the film).

< Message edited by Deviation -- 11/9/2011 3:05:59 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 3:16:58 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I loved it but with every warm feeling came a depressed monster (most of the film).

Emotional balance!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 45
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 4:47:03 PM   
Deviation

More like...fucking hell this is sad how on Earth did Jonze get a 100 million to make this?!

quote:

quote:

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 46
RE: RE: - 11/9/2011 6:49:03 PM   
thetruth

It still made a profit!
Money well spent!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 47
RE: RE: - 13/9/2011 12:44:00 AM   
Deviation

I'm not sure about dvd sales but it didn't fare very well in the BO.

Also, boy, was Troll Hunter fun. It can slow down sometimes and the characters might have needed more development (hunter aside) but it is mostly a great joy to watch.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 48
RE: RE: - 13/9/2011 12:51:56 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

It broke $100million at the box office alone, which was its budget. I think its biggest problem was in its lack of an international audience in terms of the awareness of the source material (and the BO split certainly backs this up). DVD figures aren't available. Ultimately though, who really cares? Spike Jonze got to mess around on a scale far bigger than I think anyone would ever have imagined, and he didn't lose any money/burn any bridges. And its a great film.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 13/9/2011 12:53:32 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 49
RE: RE: - 13/9/2011 1:00:08 AM   
thetruth

The hunter character was interesting and a good actor,maybe with more like him it could have been better.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 50
RE: RE: - 13/9/2011 1:03:47 AM   
thetruth

Hear hear!
It wasnt a CutThroat Island style flop,i thought it was generally well received but even better than that recognition.
And the director,who´d have thought??
Back to Troll Hunter,i cringe at the US remake.I know this will be better,for all its flaws.

< Message edited by thetruth -- 13/9/2011 1:04:35 AM >

Without love we are dead

Post #: 51
RE: RE: - 13/9/2011 7:54:22 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

It broke $100million at the box office alone, which was its budget. I think its biggest problem was in its lack of an international audience in terms of the awareness of the source material (and the BO split certainly backs this up). DVD figures aren't available. Ultimately though, who really cares? Spike Jonze got to mess around on a scale far bigger than I think anyone would ever have imagined, and he didn't lose any money/burn any bridges. And its a great film.

Yes but did it return enough money to pay its for marketing and distribution? A 100 million film just reaching it budget at the BO is hardly successful. Not that its important or anything, just like it isn't important if Scott Pilgrim was a flop or anything.

Also, I was surprised by the split in the BO.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 52
RE: RE: - 13/9/2011 8:32:55 AM   
thetruth

It must be applauded though for a film to try something different and not "flop" at the bo.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 53
RE: RE: - 13/9/2011 10:53:22 AM   
hatebox

A film only just making it's bidget back at the box office means it lost money thanks to marketing and distribution costs too, but if we don't know DVD sales there isn't much point in talking about it. 

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 54
- 14/9/2011 12:05:58 AM   
juangaz

Loved it. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you Empire for bringing this to my film radar.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 55
RE: Troll Hunter - 15/9/2011 8:58:30 AM   
GCH

Empire gave this 4 stars, yes 4 stars. So on the strength of that we went to see it.. Can't honestly see why it warrants more than 2. We have a bloke who looks like Ant ( or possibly Dec) running around after another bloke with the deepest voice in cinema. Troll hunting itself may be the most exciting sport on the planet- watching it is not. Also only one laugh in the whole thing, when Ned Kelly shows up.
Avoid, like the plague (or possibly rabies)

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

Post #: 56
confused as to what all the fuss is about ... - 19/9/2011 12:18:30 PM   
sillitoechris

SPOILERS AHEAD!
Saw this yesterday for my birthday after hearing a lot of hype.... I mean it was OK ... but rather repetiitive ...

nothing I havent seen before .... and the fact that it restricts itself so completely by pretending to be a found footage doc (which from the very outset it clearly isnt) means it falls short. There is no music for example which makes it quite a slow watch and there nothing to heighten the emotional impact of what turns ot to be a lot of driving and woodland shots - with not a lot happening after the first twenty minutes where the identity of the troll hunter and what he does is revealed.
The CG and character design is not good enough to be passed off as anywhere near real and therefore the joke that this could be actual footage gets rather tired rather quickly ..... and the end is just crap.
Would have been better to tone down the use of the reality doc and have used some tried and tested cinema techniques to spice it up a bit .... good concept - poorly executed.....

Post #: 57
confused as to what all the fuss is about ... - 19/9/2011 3:06:10 PM   
sillitoechris

SPOILERS AHEAD!
Saw this yesterday for my birthday after hearing a lot of hype.... I mean it was OK ... but rather repetiitive ...

nothing I havent seen before .... and the fact that it restricts itself so completely by pretending to be a found footage doc (which from the very outset it clearly isnt) means it falls short. There is no music for example which makes it quite a slow watch and there nothing to heighten the emotional impact of what turns ot to be a lot of driving and woodland shots - with not a lot happening after the first twenty minutes where the identity of the troll hunter and what he does is revealed.
The CG and character design is not good enough to be passed off as anywhere near real and therefore the joke that this could be actual footage gets rather tired rather quickly ..... and the end is just crap.
Would have been better to tone down the use of the reality doc and have used some tried and tested cinema techniques to spice it up a bit .... good concept - poorly executed.....

Post #: 58
confused as to what all the fuss is about ... - 19/9/2011 3:11:00 PM   
sillitoechris

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Post #: 59
RE: confused as to what all the fuss is about ... - 20/9/2011 9:28:48 AM   
brucejackiejet

Not sure what to make of this one, enjoyed it but not as much as I hoped I would. Did think it was quite funny though, the subtle moments like Tomas' cheeky grin when the Troll Hunter and the vet have just hugged - definitely made me laugh but could have just been my sense of humour.

Agree with the earlier comment about toning down the whole 'this is actual footage' angle. No one was ever going to buy into the idea that it was real, and the shaky camera got quite annoying at times when they were being chased so think it would have been better just played as a straight suspense/horror rather than a mockumentary.

However for me, the money shot was when they were driving between the giant troll's legs with the feet swinging by on either side - that was impressive.

< Message edited by brucejackiejet -- 20/9/2011 11:17:37 AM >

(in reply to sillitoechris)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI