Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: so so

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: so so Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: so so - 17/1/2012 9:53:53 PM   
hampstead bandit

thoroughly enjoyed this film - although it was very disturbing (reminded me of the film "Martyrs" in that respect)

my better half actually left the room during one of the hitman / victim torture scenes, she could not stomach the on-screen action

I stayed and watched until the end, I found this film horrific, chilling and gripping, and relished the final 1/3rd with the sacrifice cult, the escape through the tunnels and the "hunchback" scene

but I love horror films, always have and always will, so this film worked for me...

would like to watch again at some point, perhaps a year or two in the future

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 31
Meh - 22/1/2012 4:56:56 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

**SPOILER** I came onto the forum to see can anyone explain what the film is about, and I just watched the fucking thing. I like films that leave some things for you to draw your own conclusions but fuck me this film makes no attempt to explain anything, A shock ending isn't shocking if the film isn't building towards anything. I wish they developed more about the final 1/3 of the film and tried to tie up some things.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
DECENT! - 28/1/2012 10:58:41 PM   
chrisdagnall

HOLDS YOUR ATTENTION, VIOLENT, DISTURBING.......

Post #: 33
A solid three star film, until... - 6/2/2012 12:50:26 PM   
MusicLovesYou

...the last 15 minutes. What an absolute load of silly, confusing tripe. I was more-or-less enjoying it until then but I've got to be honest, I found the ending completely laughable. It's nonsense, it makes absolutely no sense in the context of the film. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for something that's open-ended and leaves you with questions, but it feels like the filmmakers have tried to crobar in some Wicker Man-esque horror and sense of dread and paranoia but instead it just comes across as pretentious, arty, weird shite. A shame because the rest of the film is quite good. I normally think Empire's reviews are bang on the money (hence me renting this) but not this time, sorry Kim!

Post #: 34
- 10/3/2012 8:17:29 PM   
Alex Doran

Absolutely brilliant. The ending made the film better by making you ask more questions. Brilliant acting by Michael Smiley. One of my favourite films of last year.

Post #: 35
One for the collection! - 15/3/2012 4:37:07 PM   
OneLastJob

**Spoiler**Kill List is a moody, atmospheric and extremely violent descent into the bizarre and I found myself drawn to it. The sparse dialogue, unsettling score, the foreboding sense of doom that leaves you shouting, 'get out before it's too late mate!' I love these films that explore the weird and not so wonderful.

Yes it is an modern 'The Wicker Man' or a British 'Apocalypse Now' but is it derivative? I wouldn't say so. Kill List doesn't look out of place on the same shelf as Angel Heart, Drive, Valhalla Rising, Blue Velvet, Brick or anything by Takeshi Kitano or Takeshi Miike.
Is it mental? Yes. I saw the ending coming as far as The Hunchback is concerned but the smile threw me. I did think, "that's one twist too far." It was a bit of a let down.

But it didn't spoil an otherwise great film. A real treat for the late night film fan.

Post #: 36
RE: One for the collection! - 18/3/2012 11:45:46 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Just watched this tonight and holy moley, how brutal a film it is. SPOILERS The hammer scene is uncompromising to say the least. I must admit I too am confused about the ending. It totally goes into Wicker Man teritory but never explains why. Maybe a 2nd viewing will explain all but in the mean time if anyone has any ideas then let us know.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to OneLastJob)
Post #: 37
- 1/4/2012 5:39:31 PM   
gzus

This starts out like a straight run of the mill hitman thriller set in British suburbia before morphing into a cross betwwen The Wickerman and Rosemary's Baby. It oozes the paranoia and dark humour of both those filmsand despite the strong language and one violent scene( a man being bludgeoned withahammer to the head) it will become a cult classic. Like other great horrors it's a film for our time set in the recession-what people can do for money with moral conviction with an ex-Iraq-war soldier in the lead with severe post-war sickness. With a list containing their faceless targets don't forget that it's the MP that causes them most problems. It's not all what it seems and it's MP's that will come back and hit you and your family the hardest-especially in a recession...

Post #: 38
Kill The Makers Of This Film - 26/4/2012 9:51:55 PM   
darkhart

Moronic dialogue and behaviour from the kind of chavy neighbours you dread living next to and would like to submit for a euthanasia program. Dire plodding depressive background music that sounds like it's been lifted from some other rubbish £5 budget brit film. Cinematography worthy of a youth club film project. If this is A list British film making, then the British film industry is in serious trouble. Complete and utter rubbish!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 39
Kill List - 28/4/2012 5:14:11 PM   
avidreader

The great question behind all classic horror films is whether or not the characters could have made a decision to save themselves, or were they inexorably, inevitably doomed from the very beginning? A sense of helplessness in the face of terror is truly terrifying. Wicker Man comparions are apt, albeit that while Sgt Howie is a morally upstanding man, Jay is quite the opposite - Wheatley does not flinch from showing us just how far we can morally sink. Horror should haunt, and Kill List delivers.

Post #: 40
RE: Kill List - 5/6/2012 10:22:54 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

A sort of 'Tales of the Unexpected' for the 21st century. And as with TotU, it's dragged out for so long that you DO expect something along the lines of what happens.

It's nicely shot, but 'm not a massive fan of ad-libbed dialogue. That said, the dinner-party arguments at the beginning felt more tense and threatening than anything that was to follow. Regarding the plot, while I appreciate that the filmmakers want the audience to piece together the puzzle themselves, I couldn't help but feel that there were too many things left open for speculation. If you're going to go down the cliched route of having naked people cavorting in the woods with burning torches and moonlight, you may as well have a villain that spells out the whole plot at the crescendo.

Ultimately, I felt both puzzled and let down by what many people seem to be loving. I can see why folks are liking it, but it's not for me.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 41
RE: Kill List - 19/6/2012 5:47:39 PM   
narmour

PROBABLY SPOILERS IN THIS BUT IT'S A SHIT FILM SO WATCHING IT WILL SPOIL ITSELF

I really don't get the hype about this film. Unbelievable characters, poor acting, dodgy script, pointless plot. Too many plot points introduced then not even hinted at again. I normally like films which don't feel the need to explain every little detail but seriously, this barely addresses anything. Instead it relies on gratuitous violence to make itself memorable. It flits from scene to scene like an ADHD monkey, creating a new plot point then getting bored and casting it away and not ever referring to it again. Gal's mysterious girlfriend, in her first scene really got me thinking that there was something really sinister about her. As the film went on she appeared once or twice more and I really hoped there would be something huge coming with her. But no, in the end, she was part of the cult. Big surprise. Nothing more.

The ending was totally predictable. And shit.

I hate this film.

Post #: 42
Excellent - 29/8/2012 2:49:50 PM   
Turd Ferguson

This is the type of movie that lends itself well to multiple viewings. If you didn't like it the first time, perhaps you should give it another try. Very clever and disturbing. Jay's continual descent into depths of depravity is clear - as is the brutality of each subsequent murder. However, it's the fact that possibly every single person in his life may be enabling in his descent that's truly awe inspiring. The tie in scenes, such as the one of Jay playing outside with his wife and son early on in the movie (which is revisited towards the end), are masterful in hindsight. The two lead actors are splendid as well.

Post #: 43
Kill List - 11/11/2012 12:50:07 AM   
chubs

Wow - a film that started off with so much promise ended up utterly ridiculous, WTF was that ending all about? I feel really cheated by this, 4 stars - hardly! It gets 2 and that's purely for the fact that I really enjoyed the actors, the story is story itself is shite!

Post #: 44
RE: so so - 26/11/2012 3:36:10 AM   
monty2

>>>>>>SPOILER ALERT>>>>>>>>>>>>

Excellent film!! One of those films,you're not sure just how it'll pan out. The hammer scene is shocking! Last 15 mins was nerve-racking,,,,,,,the "Hunchback"? Didn't see that coming.
Yeah must admit felt a little bit shortchanged at end,but I realised at the end,she smiled at him, what had she been up to on her national service......
Vigilantes-with-Wicker!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 45
FASCINATING watch it again and again - 30/11/2012 12:12:49 AM   
bill the butcher

i saw it st stephens night
i hated it
but i am watching it again right now on FILM 4
i adore it the script the atmosphere the acting
it is like mike leigh meets david lynch

Post #: 46
One of the best movies of 2011 - 7/2/2013 2:39:11 AM   
Mr Gittes

This is probably the scariest film I've seen for a while, which sure wasn't what I was expecting. A very disturbing, fascinating and brilliant movie.

Post #: 47
Bloody horrible - 15/7/2013 1:11:59 AM   
tysmuse

Undeniably horrible, and sometimes that's just what you want from a horror film. And it was probably <more> insidious when it's not be graphic. The early dinner scene is great. Thought Maskell was terrific.

Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: so so Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI