Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Kill List

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Kill List Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kill List - 3/9/2011 6:28:41 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/9/2011 6:28:41 PM   
horribleives

Absolutely sodding brilliant. And possiby the most horrified I've been since Martyrs. Just see it. Now.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 3/9/2011 11:25:20 PM   
NicCagesEyes

Reminded me a lot of The Last Exorcism, in that for the first 3/4s you have a film which puts a fresh spin on a used genre, and the final has a supernatural feel which is either gonna bewilder or satisfy the audiences. I'm still unsure what to make of the ending scenes, but I thought it was fantastic. Loved how the two hitmen were humanise, just from their little traits, like them muttering to themselves as they uncovered the damage etc. Great film.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 3
Dumb as dogshit - 4/9/2011 12:33:13 AM   
BatSpider

ripped off a far superior Irish movie called Wakewood which came out last year-ish. By the time the ending comes along, nobody really gives a fuck. One for the "give Brit movies your support no matter how crap they are" brigade. The concept was good, but it needed way better handling, and an intellect above kitchen-sink level.

Post #: 4
RE: Dumb as dogshit - 4/9/2011 1:39:51 AM   
Rgirvan44

I loved this film. Great performances, a real unease throughout and a terrific final act. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 5
RE: Dumb as dogshit - 4/9/2011 2:01:47 PM   
SoonForgotten2

I'd really like to read some oen feedback from people who think this films works, as well as those who think it doesn't.  Personally, I don't see anything that brings this film together.  It had a lot of potential, but is far too messy to deserve the rave reviews. 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/9/2011 2:11:45 PM >

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 6
Excellent 3/4 Bizarre 1/4 - 4/9/2011 6:15:15 PM   
teejfilmreviews

I havent seen Down Terrace as yet, but I do want to watch it after seeing Kill List. This is a film that starts with a marraige in decline along with a disatrous dinner party then onto a hit list which predicatbly goes wrong. I agree with Empire that Haskell makes an unusual leading man but plays it well but I thought the wife was superb and Smilley was charasmatic and grungy at the same time. The style and look of this film is reaslistic and the performances are accurate and the levels of violence are quite shocking (should we treat all Librarians like this) Now Im not the sharpest tool in the box but I could not make head or tail of the last act and why it went down this route. I simply couldnt make the connection. this might be worth a second trip to the cinema for but this film does linger with you and I can imagine this be a source for discussion in pubs and Twiiter. Well done Mr Wheatley though; its a well made film.............

Post #: 7
Deeply unsettling - 4/9/2011 9:39:20 PM   
tjf00

I found this to be a hugely original and memorable film. I have struggled to get it out of my thoughts (and nightmares) in the last 24 hours. Not too sure what to make of the last third, but it still had me on the edge of my seat and it is the first time everyone has walked out of the cinema in that kind of stunned silence for ages. The central relationships were brilliantly portrayed and I am still finding myself interpreting scenes in different ways. This prompted me to watch Down Terrace which was also superb, and often similar in style. I found it interesting that both films have strong female characters who know more about their husbands lives than they may indicate.
Completely different film to Wakewood, which was also a brilliant and disturbing addition to modern British horror, but much more in the realms of fantasy. They do have a similar style, but the addition of the 'kitchen sink' style drama to this made it a much more interesting film.

Post #: 8
RE:Dumb as dogshit.... - 5/9/2011 10:57:07 AM   
papalupara

yeah mate and Wakewood didn`t rip off Pet Sematary!
Kill List is a stunner of a movie.Can`t wait to see what Wheatly does next.

Post #: 9
RE: RE:Dumb as dogshit.... - 5/9/2011 7:55:13 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: papalupara

Bruv, the thing is that Pet Semetary didn't come out a year before Wakewood. Also, Wakewood didn't have the English media giving it head by massively over-rating it. As a concept Kill List had great potential even on a short budget but it was wasted through a lack of scope and the dullest, dumbest, one-note central character ever seen in a movie - not cool enough to be classed even as an anti-hero.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to papalupara)
Post #: 10
RE: RE:Dumb as dogshit.... - 5/9/2011 7:58:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: papalupara

Bruv, the thing is that Pet Semetary didn't come out a year before Wakewood. Also, Wakewood didn't have the English media giving it head by massively over-rating it. As a concept Kill List had great potential even on a short budget but it was wasted through a lack of scope and the dullest, dumbest, one-note central character ever seen in a movie - not cool enough to be classed even as an anti-hero.

I don't think he was suppose to be cool.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 11
RE: RE:Dumb as dogshit.... - 5/9/2011 11:44:18 PM   
tocororo

Watched this on Saturday night as a double bill with Fright Night 3D. I was enjoying this film until the last act/3rd when it all went a bit bizarre and the film turned into a poor reworking of the Wicker Man. It was a shame really because I had felt the film was really building up the tension well and keeping my interest high as I was wondering exactly what was going on/ was going to happen. The ending really left me feeling robbed and The Hunchback whilst shocking/horrifying was also fairly obvious.

I would recommend watching The Wcker Man instead as a similar but far superior film.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
re:dumb as dog shit..... - 6/9/2011 9:21:23 AM   
papalupara

So ok this is obviously a bit of a marmite movie.But seriously...because you don`t agree with positive reviews about a film you don`t like,there must be a pro Brit / anti everyone else media conspiracy - don`t think so mate.

< Message edited by papalupara -- 6/9/2011 9:55:26 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Dumb as dogshit - 6/9/2011 10:45:54 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoonForgotten2

I've got my Kill List review up as well as a discussion for with spoilers of it.  I'd really like to read some oen feedback from people who think this films works, as well as those who think it doesn't.  Personally, I don't see anything that brings this film together.  It had a lot of potential, but is far too messy to deserve the rave reviews. 

I can't answer all the points you raised in your blog, but SPOILERS...

...with regards to his wife's role in the final scene, wasn't she laughing? I assumed this meant she was a member of the cult (or had become part of it) and was offering herself and their son up as a sacrifice. Ditto the other victims on the list who said 'thank you'.
I agree there are other things that aren't fully explained (who or what do they think Jay is/why was he chosen etc) but perhaps they were and I just missed it (I'm already planning a second viewing!).
I will say one thing about some of the reviews I've read though - mentioning films like Blood On Satan's Claw and The Wicker Man (and even recent fare such as The Last Exorcism) is giving far too much away.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to SoonForgotten2)
Post #: 14
RE: Dumb as dogshit - 6/9/2011 2:44:55 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Exellent fair just shows that British films aren't just about Gangster, Hoodie & 19th Century Priod Drama's. Glad I saw it in the afternoon definetly would've had trouble sleepping if i'd seen it at nightime.
4/5 knock of a point for slightly predictable wicker Man'ish ending.

Post #: 15
RE: Dumb as dogshit - 6/9/2011 10:19:20 PM   
mackey

Well I thought this was an excellent film, let down slightly by the ending. The atmosphere was impressively eerie throughout, there was some uncomfortable viewing and it was genuinely frightening at times. Wheatley's previous film 'Down Terrace' was good but 'Kill List' is far superior, can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 16
RE: Dumb as dogshit - 8/9/2011 10:28:06 PM   
SoonForgotten2

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I can't answer all the points you raised in your blog, but SPOILERS...

...with regards to his wife's role in the final scene, wasn't she laughing? I assumed this meant she was a member of the cult (or had become part of it) and was offering herself and their son up as a sacrifice. Ditto the other victims on the list who said 'thank you'.
I agree there are other things that aren't fully explained (who or what do they think Jay is/why was he chosen etc) but perhaps they were and I just missed it (I'm already planning a second viewing!).
I will say one thing about some of the reviews I've read though - mentioning films like Blood On Satan's Claw and The Wicker Man (and even recent fare such as The Last Exorcism) is giving far too much away.

The problem with her being a part of the cult is that she is seen shooting those who are breaking into the house for her.  If she's in on it, that scene makes zero sense.  The reason it bothers me that so much is left unexplained is because of contradictions like this.  If a Hollywood film pulled this, critics would shit all over it.

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/

Post #: 17
Terrible film - 2 stars - 9/9/2011 2:56:09 PM   
twistedmango

What is Kim on about?! was he paid to write that review? because the questions the film asks are never answered and they are fundamental to you staying with the film as it slowly, slowly makes its way through its running time.
Granted the acting all round is fantastic and the editing for the most part is really well done but the story is absurd, why would a trained assassin fire wildly into the night, why would a trained assassin fire into a group of people he knows nothing about leaving them vastly outnumbered, the choices the script makes the lead make are confusing and out of character after he was set up early on.
If this is supposed to be one of the most exciting British filmmakers around today then we are in BIG trouble.

Post #: 18
RE: Terrible film - 2 stars - 12/9/2011 7:11:39 PM   
tftrman

Leaden paced, confused and with an ending that is there purely for shock value, It's little more than a decently budgeted student film. Bitterly disappointed by this. Well acted, mind. 

(in reply to twistedmango)
Post #: 19
Kill List - 25/9/2011 10:42:58 AM   
MartinBlank76

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

It was only in the hour following the end of this film that I realised how disturbing and at times quite frightening it was.

Yes the finale was a little 'huh?' when it happened as it had a little feel of an abrupt left turn but thinking back over the film and the clues it left it made more sense though you may have to take a few leaps of faith to get there with it.

Very impressed with the direction and the oppressive atmosphere that hung over it from the very start. The scene in the tunnels was one of the most tense I have experienced in the cinema in a while.

Thumbs up for the acting too especially the lead as the man of the start of the movie seemed a million miles away from who he became on the job, but he was convincing always. And good ol tyres, was the heart of the movie, if this movie had much of a heart, and the humour too felt well judged to at times lighten the gloom.

The violence was quite shocking too, reminiscent of irreversible but always felt like it fitted the film and wasnt needless despite its explicit nature.

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 25/9/2011 10:56:49 AM >

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 20
British horror back on track - 26/9/2011 3:20:25 AM   
donzimm

a well edited genuinely unsettling movie with bursts of brutal violence. kill list is familiar come the ending but feels fresh. the dialogue was fantastic and in places very funny and to those of you who have seen the glorious down terrace you will enjoy wheatleys more confident and stylised direction. the sound design was great and the film has many memorable moments (hammer scene anyone?) great performances(nice to see maskell take on a role like this) highly recommended to adventurous and open minded horror fans

Post #: 21
A Dark, Affecting Yet Vacuous Thriller - 7/10/2011 2:21:28 AM   
blaud

Kill List is something of a mixed bag. I saw it in a nearly-empty cinema, and didn't know what to expect. I soon, however, settled into the disturbing story of two hitmen out to make a bit of dough. The story is simple enough, but it's in the execution (so to speak) that the film shines. The narrative is well-constructed and easy to follow. Unfortunately, however, due to the tricksy editing, mostly involving oddly placed jump cuts either to another scene or to black, the film sometimes feels like a very long montage. It's surreal, to say the least, but you get the hang of it after a while. The performances are superb by all involved, and the violence is brutal and the themes provocative. Morality-free by all accounts, the gruesome scenes are hard to forget and most definitely realistic. It's only in the final reel that the film fades into silliness and then an ending that feels disturbing and yet utterly empty. It also seemed a little too close to the most disturbing scene in (SPOILER) A Serbian Film, only with violence instead of the sexual aspect. All-in-all, it's a success on some counts, and on others, not so much. It's a vicious, violent thriller that evokes many harrowing emotions, and yet it's also deplete of anything below its' surface. Thrilling? Most definitely. Smart? Nah.

Post #: 22
Excellent genre hybrid! - 2/1/2012 11:13:55 AM   
dannyfletch

Kill List remains my personal favourite film of the year, but it does indeed seem like this is one of those marmite movies that you will either love or hate. If you are one of those supposed horror fans whose idea of a good horror is the dumb Saw francise or the dumber Final Destination francise then please steer clear and don't bother writing a mind numbingly dull review. This is a very clever hybrid of 3 different genres which is very well put together with excellent performances and tight direction throughout. We have A) an excellent kitchen sink drama B) a gripping hitman thriller and C) quite a dark and disturbing little horror which is played out with gritty realism and is a definite modern classic of british cinema.

Post #: 23
RE: Excellent genre hybrid! - 2/1/2012 5:24:20 PM   
evil bill

Ben Wheatley and Amy Jump have created one of the best Brit flicks of this year,and a disturbing tale of horror to boot.Starting off as an examination of the family life of a suburban hit-man,it descends into a nightmare of a film,with child molesters seeming to be the targets for these two hitmen.But then in the final third it becomes a tale of a Satanic cult,and make's me wonder if Ben is a grandson of the Famous Denis Wheatley he who gave us The Devil Rides Out etc.For me it reminded me so much of the Wheatley inspired Hammer Horror film's,in both plot and direction,plus that foreboding and brooding tension that carries on for the entire film.

The cast are excellent,and help ground the story,though some may feel it drags for the first third,i felt this gave the actors the time to make sure we the viewer never truly feel at ease with these characters.There emotionality scared people who you would never want to meet,and have the twisted morality of some of the evil people they hate.There's a great scene where Jay takes a hammer to a pervert,and the shit seems to want the pain which Jay is willing to give.There are many outbursts of violence,and with the cast giving very real to life acting,and the straight forward direction giving it an almost but not quite documentary feel,this is a disturbing film to watch.

This Brit movie is about human psychology,and the dark force that turns some to kill,and it also plays on psychology of the viewer to get you to feel your being drag against your will into a nightmare world that exists i the shadows of our streets.There are no jumps or scare tactics,for this is a modern take on Horror,like say Eden Lake,where real life violence is brutal and more unforgiving than what a fantasy horror cam deal out.Overall this is a very dark disturbing tale,and will for some seem to lose it in the final reel,but if you can keep your eyes open,all the plot lines have led you to this strange disturbing ending,which is awesome.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 24
Seriously?! - 3/1/2012 11:23:23 AM   
guysalisbury

I was so disappointed with this film! I thought the acting was very average, the story was good until that final 3rd which was just ridiculous and the bits of massively tense music when nothing was actually happening were laughable. I am all up for supporting British cinema (most of it has been good recently - London to Brighton, Fish Tank, Submarine............), but if you are seriously trying to tell me that this film deserves the same star rating as Dead Mans Shoes, well i'm just a bit lost for words. Maybe I have missed something that all the critics saw but for me, this was very average!

Post #: 25
so so - 3/1/2012 6:40:19 PM   
mclane1

dont get me wrong the first 2 /3rds were interesting and really built up some WTF? tension- the last 3rd , well it got obvious once they got in the woods for me. and the DVD cover may aswell just put what happens at the end in quotes along the top. strange marketing to show images on the cover that only appear in the last 20mins of the film. presumably trying to show as a horror- its is a difficult films to categorise.

Post #: 26
RE: so so - 15/1/2012 12:02:45 AM   
UTB

Ah it was all going so well until the film was invaded by a host of other (yawnsome) horror movies at the end.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 27
RE: so so - 15/1/2012 8:18:39 PM   
DInch93

I really don't understand the hullabaloo about the ending. I thought it was perfect. I was completely stunned by it; a shocking, brutal, unexpected descent into Wicker Man territory.

British Horror at its weird, unhinged best.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 28
RE: so so - 16/1/2012 10:39:49 AM   
Vitamin F

** SPOILERS **

While I didn't find the "Wicker Man" ending all that jarring from what went before, I did find that is was handled pretty poorly and that entire final section was all a bit silly (the waves of oddballs chasing them through the tunnels and getting mown down like some run-of-the-mill zombie/horror flick). A pity because the first two thirds of this were pretty excellent, with both leads totally convincing I thought.

Was sort of expecting another Dead Man's Shoes....it's not.

"...did you just see a real bright light?"

(in reply to DInch93)
Post #: 29
RE: so so - 17/1/2012 9:53:32 PM   
hampstead bandit

thoroughly enjoyed this film - although it was very disturbing (reminded me of the film "Martyrs" in that respect)

my better half actually left the room during one of the hitman / victim torture scenes, she could not stomach the on-screen action

I stayed and watched until the end, I found this film horrific, chilling and gripping, and relished the final 1/3rd with the sacrifice cult, the escape through the tunnels and the "hunchback" scene

but I love horror films, always have and always will, so this film worked for me...

would like to watch again at some point, perhaps a year or two in the future

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Kill List Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI