Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 5/11/2011 3:06:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

It is good you reviewed the film and not the people who like the film then. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 121
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 5/11/2011 3:13:33 PM   
Deviation

Yeah but you're wrong as well. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 122
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 5/11/2011 3:34:22 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It is good you reviewed the film and not the people who like the film then. 

You know me Girv, I wouldn't let a film go by without reviewing it in Lists.  It's there somewhere.

An egregiously "OK" film. 

3/5

The simpering, panty-wet consensus is a bit bewildering.  I chose to remark on behalf of that.

And I do like Refn. And I love Gosling.  I was glad I went to see it.  And I left it at that. 

And.... I would have left it at that...but I can't understand why there isn't a moist seat left in the house for this...as Spinal Tap might put it

A bespoke, built-for-purpose, sought-after cult film doesn't exist.  It's a contradiction in terms,,,and it still is. 

I'll look forward to Refn and Gosling doing Logan's Run.  That's to say, I'll look forward to it if that cunt Alex Garland wasn't involved...which sadly...he is.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 5/11/2011 3:38:37 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 123
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 5/11/2011 3:35:36 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Yeah but you're wrong as well. 

My mum thinks I'm cool.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 124
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 5/11/2011 8:58:49 PM   
Spaldron

I really hope they re-screen this at my local sometime soon as its one of those films you had too see on the big screen. Saw it twice and really want to see it again, so fucking good. Indeed it was "pant-wettingly good" as demon said.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 125
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 6/11/2011 9:20:05 PM   
Coyleone

I'm loving all of the positivity towards Drive. It deserves it.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 126
- 20/11/2011 9:08:28 PM   
TheGodfather

"Fun " as used in Empire`s review probably isn`t the right word.
This is my review, saw it this afternoon:

Watched yesterday and today:

Bitch Slap
I probably won`t be listening again to the colleague who kept on telling me to go and watch this. I wish I never did because boy, this really was something else. Wich doesn`t mean that I didn`t enjoy it, because I did. It was good for 106 minutes of watching with a big smile to the biggest nonsense possible.
But to say it was good? Nope... not really. And that`s understatement to say the least.
If you REALLY don`t know what to watch or don`t have anything at ALL usefull to do you might watch it. Might...

5,0/10

Drive
Ryan Gosling is amazing in this part crime drama part love story as a young man who earns his living during the day as a stunt driver on films and as a car mechanic in a garage. At nighttime he can be hired as a getaway driver in robberies.

To tell more about it might spoil it and is really necessary. Because you have to experience this film. Director Nicolas Winding Refn made a film that really leans on the typical dark Los Angeles atmosphere. An atmosphere created by using warm colours during day time and a beautiful cinematography during the night in the city of millions.
Gosling gives, as a loner in that city of millions who doesn`t really wanna get involved with anyone, a fantastic performance and carries the film, without saying much, without problems.

A film that you, how fitting, need to see in the dark and by yourself to be able to really get into it and give into it.
A film also that will probably end up high in a lot of end-of-the-year lists. It will in mine, anyway.

9,0/10

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 127
BRILLIANT - 2/12/2011 5:41:12 PM   
lewisb548

Whats great about Drive is that despite the fact Driver (Ryan Gosling) is he is a real human being, he is a hero. The lengths he goes to save the lives of the ones he love is amazing.
The story is gold aswell, Gosling plays Driver a hollywood stunt driver who highlights as a getaway driver, to top that off he also works on a wednesday at a garage owned by his boss (Bryan Cranston), Gosling is a lonely man who finds happiness in driving his car, he falls in love with his neighbour Irene (Carrey Mulligan), (she puts on a good performance aswell, up until now I found her annoying in movies) and when her husband is pestered by local gangs he steps into save the day and save Irene, but he gets mixed up with the local gangs aswell as the mafia, to begin with Drive is sort of a bright, pretty drama with real heart and soul, but it soon escalates into frequent bursts of ultra-violence.
The best thing about Drive is Gosling obviously, when he is assuming the role of a getaway driver he has a look of menace, and solitude with a cold air floating around him, he seems emotionless but as I said, he is a real human being, he is a realistic character, his longing for Irene is dealt with realistically, he encounters her in a lift and rather than making a witty comment too get in bed with her, he remains mute. He meets her again at a supermarket and the look on his face is sad, he is self conscious about himself and instead of confronting he walks away. Upon fixing her car for her the two bond. When Gosling is driving her and her son home, he says "Do you wanna see something?" Rather than pull out his cock or make witty comments or even do some amazing car trick, he shows them a little river side bank which is beatiful, solitary and lonely, much like Driver himself. Even when Mulligans husband arrives home again recently set free from jail its hugely tragic how Gosling acts now that in a way he has been cast aside put in the shadows, his face isn't angry it's just confused, you dont get much insight into Drivers background but in fairness he is called Driver and he's quite lonely, and he's almost mute. There are a decent amount of brutal action scenes, and Drive is incredibly violent, dont be fooled by the 18 rating this is still a great film, if Gosling got full credit for his acting he would be littered with awards by now. The other actors deserve some credit, Ron Perlman shows up as a foul mouthed prick with an air of menace. Albert Brooks appears and these two assume the roles of the movies line of dick heads, or as society likes to call them, the bad guys.
Bryan Cranstons character is a well meaning guy who constantly takes shit from everyone. Reminds me of well......me.
Drive is a brilliant film, its very violent and I was hooked within minutes. Gosling is the buzz, he is hip he is now, and the girls love him, Without a doubt so do I. 9/10 Definetely worth a watch.

< Message edited by lewisb548 -- 2/12/2011 5:56:47 PM >

Post #: 128
- 11/12/2011 5:55:58 PM   
Drew_231

So anyone think Albert Brooks is in for a best supporting actor nomination at the oscars?

Post #: 129
Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior yet) - 13/1/2012 5:05:36 PM   
guysalisbury

Might be my favorite movie ever (bold I know). Great story, casting, acting, soundtrack, action, violence and atmosphere! A must see. Why this hasn't got 5 stars I'll never know!

Post #: 130
Stylish, Slick, Very Cool - 14/1/2012 3:15:14 PM   
blaud

Playing as a contemporary retelling of '80s movies of the same ilk, Drive is, for the most part, an experiment that paid off immensely. The story of a stunt driver who has a night job as a getaway driver is so deliriously daft it's brilliant, and this works in the film's favour, in keeping with the aesthetic of excess and '80s nostalgia for nonsense. The cast is brilliant; Gosling does a great, if somewhat strained job in the lead role, and Christina Hendricks is superb as the love interest. All the bas guys are suitably nasty too, which is always nice. There are a lot of chase scenes, of course, which are all excellent, as is the music. However, occasionally it does feel story has been sidelined in favour of spectacle. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does detract from the excitement somewhat. Essentially, however, Drive is simply a fun, silly caper with a great cast and well-judged ending. I may disagree with Empire's rating of this film as the best of last year, but there's no denying this is still a great movie, and as an homage to '80's action movies, it's excellent.

Post #: 131
RE: Stylish, Slick, Very Cool - 14/1/2012 6:50:47 PM   
Vitamin F

All I can do is repeat the good stuff that's already been said here, so I'll keep it brief and just say that as long as you've heard enough to know not to expect anything along the lines of a Fast & Furious turd then go buy this because you'll love it.

Everything works, every element is nothing less than good. Pity I missed it at the cinema, don't even think it got a release over here.
A bit like the coolest and hardest episode of Miami Vice you never saw thanks to the hint of 80s that pervades, and the absolutely perfect pacing creates a sense of tension throughout - nearly every scene generates a sense of build-up to "something".

Rented this, watched it, made a coffee and watched it again. As soon as it's available to buy it shall be mine. Do the same, no questions.

(in reply to blaud)
Post #: 132
pretty boring - 19/1/2012 5:07:34 PM   
jordan thomas

this is one of the most overrated films of the past 10 years, its not even that good its just a slow film with dull performances in it, its also depressing to sit through. it does have its moments like alot of films but the reviews its getting are just preposterous

Post #: 133
Simply very goog - 20/1/2012 8:26:23 PM   
ARmy2510

Memorable, ultra-stylish thriller with simple plot you simply fall in love with.

Post #: 134
Unique. - 24/1/2012 2:42:10 PM   
asda24995

Tedious at the start, but boy o boy does it get better. The best movie of 2011 without a doubt.

Post #: 135
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 27/1/2012 6:35:29 PM   
evil bill

This is no Fast and Furious action/road film,no this is a slow burner,yet gripping 80's style heist thriller,that in it's first half,borrows heavily from Michael Mann's visual display in Heat.And that super cool cinematography and atmosphere,is helped by one hell of a 80s inspired synthesizer haunting soundtrack.But by the second half we feel we are watching a Gasper Noe film with it's hardcore ultra violence,which is done in some scenes in chillingly slow mo,and gives it a very realistic raw feel,that in the hands of a lesser director would look out of place.But Nicolas Winding Refn(Bronson,Valhalla Rising) knows how to tell a story,and for his first Hollywood backed film,this is a superb all engrossing entry into mainstream??,though to be honest this is far more Arthouse.

On a massive plus side,there is an outstanding,haunting performance from Ryan Gosling (Fracture,The Notebook),as Driver who we are kept in the dark of where he came from,and what are his character Driver's capabilities.He seems to be to quiet,and though we learn right away he's smart,and one hell of a driver,we still feel he's getting in to deep.But as the film becomes darker we see Driver can stand up to the thugs,and is more than capable of dealing out violence also.In a way it reminded me of History Of Violence,where the quiet man,is badly misjudged by killers,and turn's the tables on them,yet we know this is not where he wants to be.Or is it that Driver also has a darker past than what is first suggested,or like Travis in Taxi Driver,is he just some guy that you dare not push to close to the flame.This whole untold story is never explained,and again this works as you are pulled deeper into the film,and never feel you need some flashback moments to spoil the fun.

Also Carey Mulligan as the his neighbor Irene is perfect in her role,as a mother of a young child,who's husband has got them in serious debt and danger.She plays the damsel in distress,without it feeling ham,and also she is a woman who finds love but knows it can never be,and this deep sadness is etched on her face from the moment Driver comes into her life.This is top notch acting,with even more great acting added to this mix,like Albert Brooks playing against type as a cutthroat crime lord,in what has to be one of his best roles,and Ron Perlman who plays his butthead psycho partner,who is driven by greed,and also hates the Family?.And they are just the main actors,the kid,the employer and a few others that have little to no screen time,are also a big part of a brilliant cast.

Be warned as i said earlier this is a full on 18 cert,when the violence kicks in,it is very stylized but full on brutal,with a girl having her head blown off with a shot gun,and a guy having his head kicked in big time.Some might feel it's goes to far in scenes like these,but for my money the whole story leads to this point of no return,where men of violence don't give a shit who they kill or hurt.Where only in the end there's no real happy endings for those caught up in extreme violence,and where the the law of the street is all to powerful.This film ends on a low note make no mistake,yet you know in your heart Driver had no choice in the end,and the same goes for the director,and so we have a classic spellbinding film aimed at adults.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 136
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 12:41:01 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Watched this last night. I am still on the fence somewhat. I'm between good and very good.

First the aesthetic, for me it was perfect in every way. Let's get that out of the way, cinematography, lighting, stylistic preferences and soundtrack all note perfect in every possible way.

The performances, for me I thought Carey Mulligan was (on the basis of performance as ratio to actual character) the standout. She has little to do buts brings a vulnerability and an honest but by hollywood standards somewhat confused morality to the role. The central relationship between Driver and Irene is beautifully handled. The relationship between Driver and Benicio arguably even more so.

Bryan Cranston is a fine actor, although have never seen that Meth lab thing he is in (name escapes me!) and he brings a lot of texture to what is a borderline stock character, Albert Brooks is suitably menacing and only the usually reliable Ron Pearlman lets the side down with a performance that despite no amount special effects would be able to hide the chewed scenary.

Now, Ryan Gosling. Yikes. What a performance. For some reason it reminded my of Bowie in the Man who fell to Earth. He is there, but not there. He inhabits the places, he exists but doesn't live. He is just so nocturnal. The most fitting tribute to his performance is that he was overlooked at the Oscars. It will go down and one of the bigger mistakes in recent years.

A lot had been made of the old Ultraviolence and whilst I thought it was important to show Goslings vicious streak I don't think overall it was handled very well. It just jars too much with the rest of the story which plays out like a battle between apathy and desire, apathetic characters being driven by events that they don't fully shape.

The structure of the movie is a little conceited, whilst beginning very strongly it soon slips into "Character A goes to place B and does action C" Perhaps my expectations were too high in this regard its just that after a very strong opening and some unusual (and real) moments between Driver and the husband etc it went on the rails rather than fully coming off the rails.

Overall a fine film, perhaps one that a little too much love is heaped on but I would imagine will spawn a number of cheapo imitators in the coming years.

4/5

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 137
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 12:41:07 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

double post

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 31/1/2012 12:44:52 PM >

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 138
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 12:41:21 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

double post

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 31/1/2012 12:44:19 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 139
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 12:41:34 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

double post

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 31/1/2012 12:43:00 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 140
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 12:45:51 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Watched this last night. I am still on the fence somewhat. I'm between good and very good.

First the aesthetic, for me it was perfect in every way. Let's get that out of the way, cinematography, lighting, stylistic preferences and soundtrack all note perfect in every possible way.

The performances, for me I thought Carey Mulligan was (on the basis of performance as ratio to actual character) the standout. She has little to do buts brings a vulnerability and an honest but by hollywood standards somewhat confused morality to the role. The central relationship between Driver and Irene is beautifully handled. The relationship between Driver and Benicio arguably even more so.

Bryan Cranston is a fine actor, although have never seen that Meth lab thing he is in (name escapes me!) and he brings a lot of texture to what is a borderline stock character, Albert Brooks is suitably menacing and only the usually reliable Ron Pearlman lets the side down with a performance that despite no amount special effects would be able to hide the chewed scenary.

Now, Ryan Gosling. Yikes. What a performance. For some reason it reminded my of Bowie in the Man who fell to Earth. He is there, but not there. He inhabits the places, he exists but doesn't live. He is just so nocturnal. The most fitting tribute to his performance is that he was overlooked at the Oscars. It will go down and one of the bigger mistakes in recent years.

A lot had been made of the old Ultraviolence and whilst I thought it was important to show Goslings vicious streak I don't think overall it was handled very well. It just jars too much with the rest of the story which plays out like a battle between apathy and desire, apathetic characters being driven by events that they don't fully shape.

The structure of the movie is a little conceited, whilst beginning very strongly it soon slips into "Character A goes to place B and does action C" Perhaps my expectations were too high in this regard its just that after a very strong opening and some unusual (and real) moments between Driver and the husband etc it went on the rails rather than fully coming off the rails.

Overall a fine film, perhaps one that a little too much love is heaped on but I would imagine will spawn a number of cheapo imitators in the coming years.

4/5

Excellent review. This pretty much nails my view of the film exactly.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 141
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 3:26:54 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

4/5

What a fantastic way of putting it. My 'Nail on Head' award goes to this.

Bought this yesterday, watched it last night (3rd viewing now) and it is still a cracker...so absorbing.
There's just so much breathing and thinking time to take it all in, I love the slow pacing of this film. Makes the 'brutal' jump out even more, and lets you dwell upon what you've just witnessed.

Many will not like but I don't care about trying to convert or convince them, because as long as it works for me that's fine.

Post #: 142
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 6:51:56 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Empire called Drive the best film of last year. Although I enjoyed it the ending was ludicrous. And it was far too slow (in my opinion.) I'm glad I rent films these days :)

Spoilers. There's no way he would have gone to meet the gangster (at the end.) He wouldn't have left the money behind. He wouldn't have stomped the guy dead in the lift (in the way he did.) He hardly spoke which was so annoying. Two stars, maybe two and a half.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 31/1/2012 7:22:39 PM >

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 143
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 31/1/2012 9:32:46 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I fucking loved this film !

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 144
- 1/2/2012 2:31:07 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Most excellent! Slow burn with terrific performances. A must see!

Post #: 145
Everyone say hi to 'Turd Ferguson' - 1/2/2012 10:10:38 PM   
Sambora

So Empire bloused this initial review with 4 stars, and then played catch up with a 5 star DVD review . . . although the site only gives the 4 star one. Karma for an initial review that seemed to have given the film a cursory glance before reviewing.

Post #: 146
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 3/2/2012 2:37:45 PM   
JohnChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Empire called Drive the best film of last year. Although I enjoyed it the ending was ludicrous. And it was far too slow (in my opinion.) I'm glad I rent films these days :)

Spoilers. There's no way he would have gone to meet the gangster (at the end.) He wouldn't have left the money behind. He wouldn't have stomped the guy dead in the lift (in the way he did.) He hardly spoke which was so annoying. Two stars, maybe two and a half.

Seen much film noir have you?

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 147
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 3/2/2012 11:01:08 PM   
Drone

Wow, this was a remarkable film - I had read so many positive things online, yet so many people I know outside of internet land who'd seen it said it was shite... boring, and they'd expected more.

I have to be honest, the first three quartrers of the film are just breathtaking. I felt I was watching a great movie from the outset. I was in no hurry, and happy to go along with the long silences and soak up Ryan Gosling, who manages an amazing performance without saying much; it's all in the eyes, and it was just a seriously incredible thing to watch.

But... I felt the final act almost lost it. Almost. It's hard to put my finger on, but it all got a bit far fetched; I think other people have said the violence maybe didn't sit so well in the grand scheme of things, and felt a bit jarring with what had gone before, but overall, the best film experience I've had in many a year.

And I'm so glad that -

SPOILER

They avoided what I would have considered a horrible, unforgiveable cliche, and they didn't kill him outright at the end. I spent the entire movie thinking "he's clearly going to die, and that would be shitty, because it's such an obvious thing to do," but thankfully, it was left a little ambiguous; did he make it, or was the final scene just a memory or wish fulfilment as he lay dying? If it had have ended with his undisputed death, I would have said it was shite and predictable.

SPOILER

So... an easy peasy four stars from me. It would have been five, save for the films' sudden descent into 'everyone tries to kill everyone else in the end' sleazeball gansgter plotline. Seen it all before.

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 148
RE: Best film of 2011 (although I haven't seen Warrior ... - 9/2/2012 2:17:47 PM   
UTB

quote:

4/5

Watched this for the first time last weekend and agree with most of the points above. Gosling and Mulligan were superb, but for me the rest of the characters just felt a bit old hat. Brooks was fine but it wasn't a surprising character at all - violent mobster with a sense of humour, nothing new. Same goes for Perlman's character, a bit of a cliche. Cranston was ok too but I felt his character was also a bit flat.

Stylistically the film's brilliant, loved the use of pop-songs and slow motion and the ambient/electronica driving soundtracks worked really well too.

So, I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow my skirt up like it has for others - 4/5 is about right.

Post #: 149
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 9/2/2012 10:47:55 PM   
jrewing1000

This is fast becoming one of my favourite films of all time. I've watched it twice at home now, (once in the cinema - twice on DVD) and it just keeps getting better. Now I know what the film involves and where it is going, I can fully enjoy the ride. Boy what a ride. It's just so damn cool!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI