Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/10/2011 6:10:49 PM   
Gerard Lough

Best film of the year so far...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
RE: - 6/10/2011 8:42:58 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerard Lough

Yeah,i had Warrior pegged for that,but this stays with you longer....i think the soundtrack seals the deal.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Gerard Lough)
Post #: 92
RE: RE: - 6/10/2011 11:46:43 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerard Lough

Yeah,i had Warrior pegged for that,but this stays with you longer....i think the soundtrack seals the deal.

Th soundtrack was great, might get it

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 93
RE: RE: - 6/10/2011 11:58:46 PM   
film man aidy

I've just seen it at our local arthouse no less(hooray for Leicester's Phoenix cinema), and finally a film that warrants the reviews. Absolutely loved it! After of year of many average visits to the cinema, this cemented my reasons for having such a passion for movies.
And that god for that!
Ryan Gosling really did own this movie, giving a very multi-layered performance. His disfunctional relationship with Carey Mulligan, the offbeat sountrack and bouts of sudden extreme voilence reminded me a lot of Leon. And I put this up on a pedestal alongside that.
Film of 2011, no question.
****1/2

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 94
RE: RE: - 7/10/2011 10:07:17 PM   
Popcorn Required

It's not often that you can say a film is completely cool, but every thing about Drive is just cool

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 95
RE: RE: - 8/10/2011 4:36:19 PM   
MartinBlank76

Saw it for a third time, still brilliant, a solid gold 10 out of 10 masterpiece.

And when I think about it, a fourth time wouldnt be totally out of the question...

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Popcorn Required)
Post #: 96
RE: RE: - 8/10/2011 7:03:09 PM   
princessa

Loved it! Yes its highly stylised and you could argue that it's style over substance.  But the story held up and Ryan Gosling was very sexy in this and charistmatic without saying much.

Very good movie.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 97
RE: Drive - 10/10/2011 9:11:36 AM   
Timon

Saw it last night and loved it.

Quiet, thoughtful and then short bursts of pure violence. Really made it that more powerful.

I can see why people were expecting one thing and disappointed with what they got, but that's their loss - and there's no need to sue the filmmakers because of it! - http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/29422658/index.html

Fantastic movie and now I'm listening to the soundtrack at work.

5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 98
5 Stars Empire!! - 10/10/2011 10:31:30 AM   
joeyl77

Seen this film on Satuday and am still thinking about it. The car scene at the start was superb and when the film kicked off at the end, it really puts it into the realm of cult classic. Sound track rocks also. 5 stars from me!!

Post #: 99
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 10/10/2011 12:18:34 PM   
Filmfan 2

Seen it twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it both times, definitely one of the best movies of the year.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to szoni)
Post #: 100
- 10/10/2011 5:28:52 PM   
Bighousewill

Yes I loved it and it came very close to being five out of five for me so close. I really liked it but I've seen a better film this year. So close loved the style and everything and Gosling he has graduated to my fav actors who I have a man crush on list.

Post #: 101
RE: - 11/10/2011 2:31:40 PM   
thetruth

Which film is better out of curiousity?

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 102
RE: RE: - 11/10/2011 4:00:35 PM   
Attorney

This film was quite possibly one of the worst of the year.

Attorney

Lawyer

(in reply to bojangles1971)
Post #: 103
RE: RE: - 11/10/2011 4:48:44 PM   
Bighousewill

Well coincidentally although they are very different films I really liked and enjoyed Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love but these are very different films. Drive was very very good but I did not like the ending but I loved the soundtrack and the style and all that and Gosling and the violence. And I think that even though not as refreshingly stylistic as Drive that Warrior is a better film.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 104
RE: RE: - 11/10/2011 5:59:24 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Attorney

This film was quite possibly one of the worst of the year.

Everyone knows my feelings on these 1 post jobs!
I think someone´s doing it to wind me up!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Attorney)
Post #: 105
RE: RE: - 11/10/2011 6:03:15 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

Well coincidentally although they are very different films I really liked and enjoyed Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love but these are very different films. Drive was very very good but I did not like the ending but I loved the soundtrack and the style and all that and Gosling and the violence. And I think that even though not as refreshingly stylistic as Drive that Warrior is a better film.

Well i wouldnt argue with that! To be fair,all 3 films would be top 5 of the year.
Gosling´s two films were superb this year.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 106
RE: RE: - 11/10/2011 6:12:43 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Well i wouldnt argue with that! To be fair,all 3 films would be top 5 of the year.

What about Blue Valentine? I think thats his finest performance to date so far, even bettering Half Nelson.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 107
RE: RE: - 11/10/2011 8:12:55 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

What about Blue Valentine? I think thats his finest performance to date so far, even bettering Half Nelson.

Was that thid year??Seems ages ago!Yeah that is a top performance in yet another different film.
My personal favourite is Lars and the Real Girl,it´s even different again to those films.This guy can bloody act!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 108
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 1:21:40 PM   
Coyleone

Gosling is a brilliant actor. Blue Valentine is such an amazing performance.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 109
RE: RE: - 14/10/2011 4:18:14 AM   
Spaldron

Bump this thread, I can't believe Empire only gave this 4 stars! This is the best film of the year and a 5 star classic to boot.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 110
RE: - 15/10/2011 11:06:04 PM   
jrewing1000

Absolutely brilliant. Super cool, slick, powerful and hard hitting. This is as good as thrillers get. Gosling is a superstar in the making.

(in reply to Gerard Lough)
Post #: 111
RE: RE: - 17/10/2011 11:54:14 PM   
MartinBlank76

I'm slipping up. I havent been to see Drive again this week yet...

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 112
RE: RE: - 20/10/2011 12:58:50 PM   
Coyleone

I went to see it for the second time last night. This thing is still amazing. Easily a 5* classic, how Empire didn't give this 5 is beyond me. Warrior recieved 5 stars, so should Drive, it's better. 

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 113
RE: RE: - 20/10/2011 11:35:52 PM   
jrewing1000

I can't get this film out of my mind. It's almost been a week now since I've seen it, and something's stuck with me. It's effected me in a way that most films don't.

I saw an interview with Gosling who said they tried to give this film a dreamlike quality. I would say they not only succeeded, but achieved something far more than a mere dream. 'Drive' seems to linger like a piece of poetry or a song that just clicks with you.

Such a simple film, with simple characters. Puts Hollywood razzamatazz to shame.

Easily my film of the year so far.

(in reply to bojangles1971)
Post #: 114
Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 29/10/2011 5:38:08 AM   
TomBowler

And I'm not just talking about Ryan Gosling. I haven't been this excited about a new movie in while. I understand the fact that you guys have only given it four stars, could've gone either way. For me, it's going up.

Post #: 115
Brilliant - 31/10/2011 2:55:50 PM   
ronniem

Saw this last night and was blown away...An instant Cult class, just like Fight Club!

Post #: 116
RE: Brilliant - 4/11/2011 10:20:25 AM   
tommypocket

2nd viewing tonight (only came out last week here in NZ) - probably loved it more this time around... mainly because the damn trailer spoiled any sense of surprise the first time around.

For those who've seen the film, go watch the trailer again; although a great 'man, I want to see that' trailer, it's cut chronologically and covers most of the story beats and major plot points IN ORDER, so you know exactly what's coming - my only criticism really... in third place of my films of the year, behind Tree of Life and Senna.

I also hum 'A Real Hero' every time I get behind the wheel now - shame it's too hot here in Auckland for driving gloves...

And I'm off to the doctors to get some medication for the Man Crush I've developed on Gosling...

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to ronniem)
Post #: 117
RE: Brilliant - 4/11/2011 2:27:29 PM   
Jonnie_K

Great Film. The cat didnt like it, but what she knows about films you could write on the back of a mouse.

PS3 CyberRipper_X *** Xbox360 JBlackdog

"if you see something move, shoot it, If it screams in german, shoot it again!" Brothers in Arms

(in reply to tommypocket)
Post #: 118
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 5/11/2011 11:42:10 AM   
Kiwi26

quote:

I can't get this film out of my mind. It's almost been a week now since I've seen it, and something's stuck with me. It's effected me in a way that most films don't.

I saw an interview with Gosling who said they tried to give this film a dreamlike quality. I would say they not only succeeded, but achieved something far more than a mere dream. 'Drive' seems to linger like a piece of poetry or a song that just clicks with you.

Such a simple film, with simple characters. Puts Hollywood razzamatazz to shame.

Easily my film of the year so far.

I agree. I can't stop thinking about this amazing film

< Message edited by Kiwi26 -- 5/11/2011 11:44:03 AM >

(in reply to TomBowler)
Post #: 119
RE: Brutal, beautiful, brilliant. - 5/11/2011 2:40:00 PM   
demoncleaner

I agree with all of the above.  I thought Drivel was brilliant.  A lot of my mates thought Drivel was mediocre. An at-best wrought attempt to make a cult-film through fore-thought of soundtrack! Instead of arrivng at cult-status through longevity, idea, staying-power and hindsight. A lot of my mates didn't think you could just immediately "engineer" a cult film through long gaps of silence diffused through a wafer-thin plot with wafer-thin villains and be self-important with retro-pink credit titles and a defunct soundtrack. BUT APPARENTLY YOU CAN!! 

A lot of my mates didn't think you could get away with that in this passe age of creativity, involvement and articulation.  But what do they know???

Drivel prooooooved them wrong!

I know in my ovaries they're not right because this many people couldn't like Drivel and be wrong.

Let's get naked, oiled up, play Twister, put our hands in the air and admit loud and proud that "WE LIKE DRIVEL!!!"

Film of the year? 

Fuck.

Me.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 5/11/2011 2:59:08 PM >

(in reply to Kiwi26)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI