Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ace!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Ace! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ace! - 4/10/2011 9:19:01 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Yes,i will agree with that,it has an amazing soundtrack.
I am astounded by this films low key reception on this forum,as a whole.

It doesn't have Star, Wars or Transformers in the title.

Perhaps!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 61
Drive: Almost a classic - 4/10/2011 11:42:28 AM   
rick_7

*LOTS OF SPOILERS*

CINEMA: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)
– With its neon credits, synth-led song score and obscenely hip lead performance from Ryan Gosling – another movie psychopath from whom we can all take fashion tips – Drive is an instantly iconic film. It’s also a near-classic, a potent fusion of actioner, crime flick and doomed romance that needed just a stronger script to nudge it into that top bracket. Gosling is a Hollywood stunt man and getaway-driver-for-hire whose lonely life is changed by a chance meeting with neighbour Irene (Carey Mulligan). He falls for the doe-eyed waitress and develops a cosy rapport with her son, Benicio. But when her husband comes home from prison and finds he’s still in debt to some bald gangsters (one of whom looks really like White Power Bill from Arrested Development), Gosling decides the only way he can protect the woman he loves is by going vroom-vroom for the hoods. Fuck me, that’s a good set-up. The comparisons to Shane have been made, but there’s another obvious parallel with Taxi Driver – seemingly referenced in the poster – as it slowly dawns on us that this guy we’ve been driving around with is a bit unhinged, and the plot also borrows from ‘70s classic Charley Varrick, another film in which our anti-hero accidentally swipes laundered money and finds that the mob is quite annoyed.

Drive is a great experience – with a matchless feel, a killer performance from Gosling (simply the best actor around today) and fine chemistry between him and Mulligan. It intelligently mirrors his shifts between coldness and warmth, while containing frenzied bursts of the old ultra violence – I’d never seen anyone offed with a knife and fork before. But the film is undermined by its comparatively uninteresting subplots featuring Bryan Cranston (who’s good in a clichéd part), Ron Perlman, Albert Brooks and Christina Hendricks, and the central character’s muddled code of ethics – bleeding into bloodlust – which can make him hard to side with, even when he’s chewing that toothpick in such a cool way. But if it’s not quite the masterpiece I was greedily anticipating, it’s still one of the year’s best and another key credit for an actor who’s proving to be infallible. All together now: “A real human being, and a real hero…” (3.5)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 62
RE: Drive: Almost a classic - 4/10/2011 12:18:00 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

*LOTS OF SPOILERS*

– With its neon credits, synth-led song score and obscenely hip lead performance from Ryan Gosling – another movie psychopath from whom we can all take fashion tips – Drive is an instantly iconic film. It’s also a near-classic, a potent fusion of actioner, crime flick and doomed romance that needed just a stronger script to nudge it into that top bracket. Gosling is a Hollywood stunt man and getaway-driver-for-hire whose lonely life is changed by a chance meeting with neighbour Irene (Carey Mulligan). He falls for the doe-eyed waitress and develops a cosy rapport with her son, Benicio. But when her husband comes home from prison and finds he’s still in debt to some bald gangsters (one of whom looks really like White Power Bill from Arrested Development), Gosling decides the only way he can protect the woman he loves is by going vroom-vroom for the hoods. Fuck me, that’s a good set-up. The comparisons to Shane have been made, but there’s another obvious parallel with Taxi Driver – seemingly referenced in the poster – as it slowly dawns on us that this guy we’ve been driving around with is a bit unhinged, and the plot also borrows from ‘70s classic Charley Varrick, another film in which our anti-hero accidentally swipes laundered money and finds that the mob is quite annoyed.

Drive is a great experience – with a matchless feel, a killer performance from Gosling (simply the best actor around today) and fine chemistry between him and Mulligan. It intelligently mirrors his shifts between coldness and warmth, while containing frenzied bursts of the old ultra violence – I’d never seen anyone offed with a knife and fork before. But the film is undermined by its comparatively uninteresting subplots featuring Bryan Cranston (who’s good in a clichéd part), Ron Perlman, Albert Brooks and Christina Hendricks, and the central character’s muddled code of ethics – bleeding into bloodlust – which can make him hard to side with, even when he’s chewing that toothpick in such a cool way. But if it’s not quite the masterpiece I was greedily anticipating, it’s still one of the year’s best and another key credit for an actor who’s proving to be infallible. All together now: “A real human being, and a real hero…” (3.5)

Great review man, pretty much agree with what you said except I'd give it an extra star just for the awesome OST alone.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 63
RE: Drive: Almost a classic - 4/10/2011 2:15:55 PM   
rick_7

quote:

quote:

*LOTS OF SPOILERS*

– With its neon credits, synth-led song score and obscenely hip lead performance from Ryan Gosling – another movie psychopath from whom we can all take fashion tips – Drive is an instantly iconic film. It's also a near-classic, a potent fusion of actioner, crime flick and doomed romance that needed just a stronger script to nudge it into that top bracket. Gosling is a Hollywood stunt man and getaway-driver-for-hire whose lonely life is changed by a chance meeting with neighbour Irene (Carey Mulligan). He falls for the doe-eyed waitress and develops a cosy rapport with her son, Benicio. But when her husband comes home from prison and finds he's still in debt to some bald gangsters (one of whom looks really like White Power Bill from Arrested Development), Gosling decides the only way he can protect the woman he loves is by going vroom-vroom for the hoods. Fuck me, that's a good set-up. The comparisons to Shane have been made, but there's another obvious parallel with Taxi Driver – seemingly referenced in the poster – as it slowly dawns on us that this guy we've been driving around with is a bit unhinged, and the plot also borrows from '70s classic Charley Varrick, another film in which our anti-hero accidentally swipes laundered money and finds that the mob is quite annoyed.

Drive is a great experience – with a matchless feel, a killer performance from Gosling (simply the best actor around today) and fine chemistry between him and Mulligan. It intelligently mirrors his shifts between coldness and warmth, while containing frenzied bursts of the old ultra violence – I'd never seen anyone offed with a knife and fork before. But the film is undermined by its comparatively uninteresting subplots featuring Bryan Cranston (who's good in a clichéd part), Ron Perlman, Albert Brooks and Christina Hendricks, and the central character's muddled code of ethics – bleeding into bloodlust – which can make him hard to side with, even when he's chewing that toothpick in such a cool way. But if it's not quite the masterpiece I was greedily anticipating, it's still one of the year's best and another key credit for an actor who's proving to be infallible. All together now: "A real human being, and a real hero…” (3.5)

Great review man, pretty much agree with what you said except I'd give it an extra star just for the awesome OST alone.

Cheers. The music is amazing. Been streaming it all day, but I'll probably cave in and get the CD later.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 64
RE: Drive: Almost a classic - 4/10/2011 2:43:43 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

quote:

quote:

*LOTS OF SPOILERS*

– With its neon credits, synth-led song score and obscenely hip lead performance from Ryan Gosling – another movie psychopath from whom we can all take fashion tips – Drive is an instantly iconic film. It's also a near-classic, a potent fusion of actioner, crime flick and doomed romance that needed just a stronger script to nudge it into that top bracket. Gosling is a Hollywood stunt man and getaway-driver-for-hire whose lonely life is changed by a chance meeting with neighbour Irene (Carey Mulligan). He falls for the doe-eyed waitress and develops a cosy rapport with her son, Benicio. But when her husband comes home from prison and finds he's still in debt to some bald gangsters (one of whom looks really like White Power Bill from Arrested Development), Gosling decides the only way he can protect the woman he loves is by going vroom-vroom for the hoods. Fuck me, that's a good set-up. The comparisons to Shane have been made, but there's another obvious parallel with Taxi Driver – seemingly referenced in the poster – as it slowly dawns on us that this guy we've been driving around with is a bit unhinged, and the plot also borrows from '70s classic Charley Varrick, another film in which our anti-hero accidentally swipes laundered money and finds that the mob is quite annoyed.

Drive is a great experience – with a matchless feel, a killer performance from Gosling (simply the best actor around today) and fine chemistry between him and Mulligan. It intelligently mirrors his shifts between coldness and warmth, while containing frenzied bursts of the old ultra violence – I'd never seen anyone offed with a knife and fork before. But the film is undermined by its comparatively uninteresting subplots featuring Bryan Cranston (who's good in a clichéd part), Ron Perlman, Albert Brooks and Christina Hendricks, and the central character's muddled code of ethics – bleeding into bloodlust – which can make him hard to side with, even when he's chewing that toothpick in such a cool way. But if it's not quite the masterpiece I was greedily anticipating, it's still one of the year's best and another key credit for an actor who's proving to be infallible. All together now: "A real human being, and a real hero…” (3.5)

Cheers. The music is amazing. Been streaming it all day, but I'll probably cave in and get the CD later.

I'd safely say I'll be getting this myself.  I'm a bit of an eighties electro fiend dontcha' know and have listened to the Glass Candy track on Bronson now pretty much to death.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 65
RE: Drive: Almost a classic - 4/10/2011 3:13:16 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I'd safely say I'll be getting this myself.  I'm a bit of an eighties electro fiend dontcha' know and have listened to the Glass Candy track on Bronson now pretty much to death.

When I first saw Drive I was wondering if there was anything about it that would mark it out as definitely being a Refn film.  It didn't take long until the music kicked in and I thought, 'that's it'.   He nailed it with Bronson too.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 66
RE: Drive: Almost a classic - 4/10/2011 5:04:53 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

quote:

quote:

*LOTS OF SPOILERS*

Normally I can't stand all this fake retro 80's bs that the charts are full of these days but these songs really work for the film.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 67
RE: Drive: A classic - 4/10/2011 7:38:11 PM   
MartinBlank76

Going to Drive for the third time tonight, its a long time since a film has had this effect on me, this compulsion to watch it again and again.

And I might as well soak it up while its still on the big screen, those visuals and that soundtrack are just...perfect together.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 68
Stripclub Scene - 4/10/2011 10:57:48 PM   
burtbondy

Was anybody else reminded of A Clockwork Orange in that scene? Also, i think the dvd review should get 5 stars. Like when Empire awarded Colateral 5 stars on second viewing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 69
RE: Drive: A classic - 4/10/2011 11:37:06 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

Going to Drive for the third time tonight, its a long time since a film has had this effect on me, this compulsion to watch it again and again.

And I might as well soak it up while its still on the big screen, those visuals and that soundtrack are just...perfect together.

Yes to this!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 70
RE: Drive: A classic - 4/10/2011 11:53:38 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

I was gonna go for the second time tonight but the other half was ill. Maybe tomorrow.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 71
RE: Drive: A classic - 5/10/2011 5:21:03 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Yes, we will most definitely go and see it tomorrow! Even if I'm still feeling sick, I'll darn well be there anyway.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 5/10/2011 5:22:16 AM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 72
STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 5/10/2011 6:25:13 PM   
ROTGUT

Too much so. The critics are all raving about this thing. Hell...it's ok....Shane with a few car chases and some uberviolence. To be fair, the whole of the heist sequence had me on the edge of my seat......but things aren't helped by a mostly vacant script and a slightly muddled morality which pervaded the entire film.
We're supposed to be rooting for the Ryan Gosling character because he drives cars and wears a cool looking jacket.....and what's with the blasted 1980's style titles and the cheesy sound track??? At least in a Scorsese film, the shady characters always get their come uppance. In this film, because Ryan Gosling looks like Ryan Gosling, we're supposed to overlook the fact that he's a complete raving psychopath. Meh.....Valhalla Rising was a much more interesting failure. Drive? I'll stick to Mark Dacascos and Kardeem Hardison thank you. 3 stars.....

Post #: 73
STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 5/10/2011 6:25:15 PM   
ROTGUT

Too much so. The critics are all raving about this thing. Hell...it's ok....Shane with a few car chases and some uberviolence. To be fair, the whole of the heist sequence had me on the edge of my seat......but things aren't helped by a mostly vacant script and a slightly muddled morality which pervaded the entire film.
We're supposed to be rooting for the Ryan Gosling character because he drives cars and wears a cool looking jacket.....and what's with the blasted 1980's style titles and the cheesy sound track??? At least in a Scorsese film, the shady characters always get their come uppance. In this film, because Ryan Gosling looks like Ryan Gosling, we're supposed to overlook the fact that he's a complete raving psychopath. Meh.....Valhalla Rising was a much more interesting failure. Drive? I'll stick to Mark Dacascos and Kardeem Hardison thank you. 3 stars.....

Post #: 74
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 5/10/2011 8:32:45 PM   
burtbondy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ROTGUT

A laughable assessment of the film.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 75
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 5/10/2011 8:43:33 PM   
horribleives

quote:

I don't think you are, if anything the writer and director go to great lengths to remind you that, as well as caring for Mulligan's character and her son and having a strong desire to protect them, he is quite clearly a dangerous, murderous individual - which is basically the whole crux of why he and she can't be together (and why the head-stomping scene is so important) which, to me at least, is the whole point of the story.
I think.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 76
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 1:07:32 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

I don't think you are, if anything the writer and director go to great lengths to remind you that, as well as caring for Mulligan's character and her son and having a strong desire to protect them, he is quite clearly a dangerous, murderous individual - which is basically the whole crux of why he and she can't be together (and why the head-stomping scene is so important) which, to me at least, is the whole point of the story.
I think.

Yep,agreed.
The "scumbag" she was in a relationship with is nothing in comparison to Gosling when he breaks the law,amongst other things.
At no point though,did i feel he was the "hero",or being portrayed as one.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 77
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 1:33:49 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

So I take it you've never seen Taxi Driver then?

Anyway's saw this for the second time tonight and it keeps being awesome.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 78
RE: Drive: A classic - 6/10/2011 1:42:01 AM   
Spaldron

And did anyone think the title track would've made an excellent Bond theme?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 79
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 2:16:44 AM   
Coyleone

quote:

You clearly didn't get the film, did you? Or you are obviously jealous of that Gosling SWAGG!

Lol @ people not liking it because it didn't have many action/driving scenes in it.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 80
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 4:34:29 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

So I finally went and watched Drive tonight. WOW! What a treat! An absolutely breathtaking, thought provoking film which came complete with an awesome Score to boot!

Nice one Nicolas Winding Refn.

Art

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 81
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 9:10:20 AM   
TrendMeUp

quote:

Eh? He's certainly an antihero of sorts, but he's still portrayed as a hero nonetheless. I found part of the film's brilliance was that duality in his character. He's a hero, just a bloody mental one.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 82
IT'S NICE TO SEE SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT, YET SOME... - 6/10/2011 10:43:08 AM   
boredbluekoala

The whole movie is shot and edited like a Michael Mann thriller from 1985, in fact it reminds me of a flick Mann directed called 'Thief'.
Refn makes wild, interesting films, can't wait to see what he does with LOGAN'S RUN.

Post #: 83
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 10:47:27 AM   
brucejackiejet

Saw this on Monday and really really enjoyed it (and I hated Bronson). The soundtrack was brilliant and it was the most stylish film I've seen in a long time, without being pretentious or sacrificing the plot.

A minor quibble - I thought Carey Mulligan was bland and 2-dimensional as always. Could put it down to an underwritten part except every film I've seen her in she's been dull so by now I'm pretty sure it's just her. She seems to have the same expression and tone of voice regardless of which emotion she's portraying. Pretty to look at, but not a lot of depth.

Not sure how I felt about Gosling. The guy certainly had presence and hero or not, I was rooting for him all the way - but his character's inability to hold a conversation was taken a bit far. We're all familar with the strong and silent type, but for me it did come across as less Steve McQueen and more 'special needs'. Consequently I didn't really buy into the idea that Mulligan would fall for the weird neighbour who does nothing but stare at her for an uncomfortably long time. I've tried that with girls and it's just got me arrested :-)  

Still, the opening 5 minutes was ace, and the style and soundtrack more than overcame these shortcomings. Well worth a watch.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 84
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 11:38:18 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: brucejackiejet

A minor quibble - I thought Carey Mulligan was bland and 2-dimensional as always. Could put it down to an underwritten part except every film I've seen her in she's been dull so by now I'm pretty sure it's just her. She seems to have the same expression and tone of voice regardless of which emotion she's portraying. Pretty to look at, but not a lot of depth.

Strongly disagree with this. I thought she did a massive amount with - as you say - a part that didn't offer a lot, and she had real chemistry with Gosling. Did you see Never Let Me Go? I think that's one of the best performances of the last decade.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 85
RE: IT'S NICE TO SEE SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT, YET ... - 6/10/2011 11:39:13 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: boredbluekoala

The whole movie is shot and edited like a Michael Mann thriller from 1985, in fact it reminds me of a flick Mann directed called 'Thief'.
Refn makes wild, interesting films, can't wait to see what he does with LOGAN'S RUN.

I think he should cast Jenny Agutter and Michael York.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to boredbluekoala)
Post #: 86
RE: IT'S NICE TO SEE SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT, YET ... - 6/10/2011 2:20:58 PM   
hatebox

Finally, a film that lives up to the hype.

It's like the director got inside my head and made exactly the kind of movie I'd like and/or want to make if I directed a feature.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 87
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 2:50:29 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

quote:

Eh? He's certainly an antihero of sorts, but he's still portrayed as a hero nonetheless. I found part of the film's brilliance was that duality in his character. He's a hero, just a bloody mental one.

I said anti-hero in my first post(i think!).He certainly isnt a lovable character.He does have a heart though.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 88
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 2:51:33 PM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: brucejackiejet

Strongly disagree with this. I thought she did a massive amount with - as you say - a part that didn't offer a lot, and she had real chemistry with Gosling. Did you see Never Let Me Go? I think that's one of the best performances of the last decade.

Stunning in Never Let Me Go.Stunning.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 89
RE: STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE..... - 6/10/2011 2:56:53 PM   
szoni

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

quote:

I said anti-hero in my first post(i think!).He certainly isnt a lovable character.He does have a heart though.

I perceived him some kind of guardian. Bloody mental version isn't close to my heart.

< Message edited by szoni -- 6/10/2011 3:08:00 PM >

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Ace! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI