Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 26/9/2011 9:53:07 AM   
filmburner30

A film which lingers in your mind long after you have seem it Refn has obviously watched Walter Hill ,Freidkin and Michael Mann.

Yet their is plenty here which is original and Interesting,Gosling has a brilliant presence and Pearlman and Albert Brooks make memorable bad guys .

The violence is strong and sudden but the film is a class act from start to finish 9/10

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to bojangles1971)
Post #: 31
RE: RE: - 26/9/2011 3:39:37 PM   
thetruth

Loved this.
I´ve seen all of Gosling´s films,and he really in developing as an actor.Seen two this week,and he´s so different in terms of the roles.
This is dark and broody,like the protagonist.
The soundtrack is cool,a real 80s vibe to it.Cinematography very sleek and stylish...leading to the violence.
This is not a violent film.It has periods of calm speckled with moments of violence.Some of that is even subtle and implied,with shadowy figures exchanging stabing motions.
But yes,there is a scene where somebody literally gets their head kicked in.After a moment of tenderness.
Gosling is the quiet implosive anti hero here.
Excellent film.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 32
Brilliant! - 26/9/2011 11:09:36 PM   
maffew

Amazing cinematography, stunning editing and a cold excellent performance by Gosling.. But this isn't set in the 80s right?? I've read a few reviews that seem to be suggesting it's actually set in the 80s - they have mobile phones! And the fashion is distinctly un-80s..

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
Amazing!!!! - 27/9/2011 12:45:13 AM   
Big Braveheart

Simply stunning and one of the best films i've seen in the cinema in a long time .. Drive is a modern classic loaded with great acting, superb visuals, plenty of tension, mood, noir, retro and a fantastic soundtrack to boot. Ryan Gosling could win thebest actor Oscar and others for best picture, director, cinematography, best song and best supporting actor ( brilliant Albert Brooks! ) could all be worthy of a shout!! Cool film!

Post #: 34
RE: Amazing!!!! - 27/9/2011 6:19:58 PM   
fugaziuk

Saw this today and agree with what everyone else is saying - the film is ultra stylish and gosling is amazing - considering he hardly has any lines - he shows it all in his facial expressions. I saw an interview where Gosling said drive was like a John Hughes film - did anyone else get that?

This was the best song IMO : College feat. Electric Youth - A Real Hero

< Message edited by fugaziuk -- 27/9/2011 6:21:59 PM >

(in reply to Big Braveheart)
Post #: 35
Epic! - 27/9/2011 6:33:11 PM   
guysalisbury

Stylish, clever, original, Gosling and Mulligan are awesome! The soundtrack is amazing! I was left feeling shaken after seeing this. A must see! Should have 5 stars!!

Post #: 36
RE: Epic! - 28/9/2011 12:21:13 AM   
st3veebee

PROS:

-Extremely stylish: but never pompously so.

-Nearly* everyone here is on top form with Gosling doing the near impossible job of standing out most doing little to nothing most of the time.

-Great soundtrack setting each scene nicely

-Moments of extreme violence are handled well, even if they are a little too familiar in parts. (Gaspard Noe.....)

CONS:

-*Ron Perlman let me down with a shamelessly stereotypical and cardboard performance.

-Driving scenes are not quite as good as they could have been.

By far the most stylish film of the year with yet another reason why Gosling surely is the best actor of his generation. Its not perfect but its original, looks damn cool and harks back to that beautiful decade of film: the 70s.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 37
Gosling-tastic - 28/9/2011 11:31:48 AM   
ChudMonkey

I'm not one for man crushes but having seen this and Crazy Stupid Love this week I gotta say the man is sublime!

both films are exceptional but Drive, for me, is easily one of the films of the year. Felt like Michael Mann directing Taxi Driver to me, with a soundtrack to die for, outstanding performances, a killer story and some simply majestic visuals.

An absolutely essential watch

Post #: 38
Pulp Picture - 28/9/2011 5:49:52 PM   
kisswithatear

The film is soft and quiet to begin with, a sweet sort of love story between an abandoned wife and our lovely driver, it then changes theme as the husband returns and the violence begins. The violence is what breaks this film up and makes it visceral and intriguing. Ryan shone brighter than I expected; his silent but emotive character being someone you're not sure why you're rooting for but not sure why, he just doesn't give much away and I liked that. Well worth a watch if you like stylish nostalgic films which feel like pulp.

Post #: 39
RE: RE: - 29/9/2011 12:54:13 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: bojangles1971

Errr . . . they mention the Friedkin film in the Empire review. Can't get much past them!

"The exhilerating sensation is that Walter Hill or William Friedkin made an urban noir sometime back in 1986 and somehow you missed it (and it's easily as good as The Driver or To Live And Die In LA)."

I'm guesing Rgirvan was being sarcastic with that point, as it was also mentioned in the Total Film review and in several other newspaper ones.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to bojangles1971)
Post #: 40
RE: RE: - 29/9/2011 1:27:07 PM   
Coyleone

Wow. Where to start?

First of all, Gosling gives an amazing performance whilst saying very little indeed, so intense and laid back at the same time. He says more with one look than he could with words. My favorite performance of the year hands down. Albert Brooks is also great in his role, and gives a quite menacing performance, the same can't be said for Perlman unfortunately, although I couldn't help but think that was the point.

'Driver' as far as I remember has no backstory, making him seem pretty mysterious, but his character is developed through great scenes with Carey Mulligan as he bonds with her and her child. I loved the scene when he is watching tv with the kid and asks him about who the goodguys and badguys are.

I liked the fact that the husband wasn't a complete asshole, made a change from the norm.

There are moments of extreme violence, and they come at unexpected times making it all the more powerful when it happens, but they are done brilliantly and for good reason, not just for the sake of it. Some scenes not involving violence are equally chilling however, and that mask, oh god that mask.

The soundtrack...amazing. Best soundtrack of the year aswell for me. The songs used fit perfectly with the feel of the film, and the original score is beautiful and scary at the same time. Stunning. Oh and the cinemtography is brilliant too.

I loved this movie. Easily the best film this year IMO and I can't see it being topped by anything. One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Already one of my favorites, and as time goes on I can only see this getting more popular and becoming a real cult classic. Just a brilliant, powerful and at times beautiful piece of cinema that you won't soon forget. Can't stop thinking about the movie, and listening to the soundtrack doesn't help.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 41
RE: RE: - 29/9/2011 3:45:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: bojangles1971

Errr . . . they mention the Friedkin film in the Empire review. Can't get much past them!

"The exhilerating sensation is that Walter Hill or William Friedkin made an urban noir sometime back in 1986 and somehow you missed it (and it's easily as good as The Driver or To Live And Die In LA)."

I'm guesing Rgirvan was being sarcastic with that point, as it was also mentioned in the Total Film review and in several other newspaper ones.

Actully I posted that review on another website first of all - which didn't mention that movie! Just forgot to edit it out!

Whoops!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 42
RE: Drive - 29/9/2011 9:21:28 PM   
BelovedAunt

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City vs Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. Think the long summer of mediocrity has us all declaring anything that's not a superhero film or a sequel as being better than it is. I enjoyed it to a point but in terms of Gosling's cv he has done way better. Probably just me though - I thought Valhalla Rising was garbage....

Post #: 43
RE: Drive - 1/10/2011 3:13:39 AM   
Qwerty Norris

An eighties-influenced genre film with art-house sensibilities containing the best opening ten minutes to any film this year (it really has been a while since I've been that excited by a film's beginning) and accompanied by 2011's best soundtrack. For what in lacks in character and drama it more than makes up for in set-pieces and tone. A proper visceral experience that somehow feels like a guilty pleasure yet is one that I absolutely adored. Exploitation cinema at its most beautiful that felt like the "Blue Velvet" of Action movies.

5/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to BelovedAunt)
Post #: 44
RE: Drive - 1/10/2011 8:19:28 AM   
thetruth

It really is unique.I want to see it again!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 45
RE: Drive - 2/10/2011 3:43:02 PM   
The Shadows

Sorry to be the voice of dissent, but I don't think this film lived up to its promise.

Stylish, self-referential and full of little allusions to earlier works that film lovers such as us can enjoy. But, after a very strong start - the opening getaway drive, shot almost entirely inside the vehicle, is superb - up to and including the burgeoning romance between Gosling and Mulligan. But once the film turned violent, I thought it lost its way. Gosling as monotone car obsessive and social recluse - yes. Gosling as avenging angel and pyscopath - ...hmm, I'm less convinced.

I think the film suffers in comparison to the films it alludes to - The Driver, Taxi Driver, Bullitt - and apart from a lot of style, what does it bring to the party that is new?  

< Message edited by The Shadows -- 2/10/2011 7:02:06 PM >

http://www.lunarpark.blogspot.com

"Space is big."
- Douglas Adams

Post #: 46
More like Cruise - 2/10/2011 10:10:03 PM   
danielthompson99

As a film,yeah, it's ok I guess. I was pretty surprised by how much gore there was.
There is some lush cinematography here, some good acting too, from everyone but the lead Gosling, who seemed to be doing an impression of a damp sock. However, this didn't seem to bother the lovely and beautiful lady that accompanied me to the movies tonight, who was happy enough to drool over said sock impersonation.
This is truely not a stereotypical action movie, but I felt slightly cheated that it wasn't more so. The film is about a driver who is involved in crime, yet there wasn't one car chase that I will remember it for, unlike in Ronin, Bourne and Besson's sublime Taxi. Why not?!?!?
Oh yeah, it's not a commercial movie. Looks nice though!
ps; Soundtrack - Come on...Really guys? Cars, women, violence and 80s Electro ballards. This is not Twin Peaks!

Post #: 47
Disappointing - 2/10/2011 11:49:29 PM   
NunianVonFuch

Very disappointed with this. Has the style and some great action scenes but overall it doesn't fit together. None of the characters are fleshed out at all, they're just cyphers. The driver, the kid, the girl, the hitman, etc. This allows shocking scenes to take place and leaves us with the feeling that we'll never know quite what to expect from each scene, but you feel little or no empathy for these pieces of cardboard so their effect is lost. The film is too in love with it's characters that it forgets to show us why we should like any of them, or even why they like each other.

Not a patch on any of it's influences, but the director shows enough style to be worth looking out for in the future. Just with a better script.

< Message edited by NunianVonFuch -- 2/10/2011 11:50:27 PM >

(in reply to danielthompson99)
Post #: 48
RE: Disappointing - 3/10/2011 4:50:21 PM   
TrendMeUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: NunianVonFuch
None of the characters are fleshed out at all, they're just cyphers. The driver, the kid, the girl, the hitman, etc. This allows shocking scenes to take place and leaves us with the feeling that we'll never know quite what to expect from each scene, but you feel little or no empathy for these pieces of cardboard so their effect is lost. The film is too in love with it's characters that it forgets to show us why we should like any of them, or even why they like each other.

I think the lack of any obvious depth to the characters was a deliberate choice, rather than lazy scriptwriting.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to NunianVonFuch)
Post #: 49
RE: Ace! - 3/10/2011 6:13:05 PM   
Spaldron

Really impressed with this one imo. Gosling is mesmerising as the man (or should I say kid) of few words and Mulligan and the kid's boss (forgot his name) all give the film the emotional depth. The car chases and violence are wonderfully OTT. Btw soundtrack of the year anyone?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 50
RE: Ace! - 3/10/2011 6:55:14 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Really impressed with this one imo. Gosling is mesmerising as the man (or should I say kid) of few words and Mulligan and the kid's boss (forgot his name) all give the film the emotional depth. The car chases and violence are wonderfully OTT. Btw soundtrack of the year anyone?

Definitely. Particularly as, Groove Armada aside, I'm not that familliar with any of the artists. Been thinking about buying the soundtrack but reckon I might watch the film a few more times first and wallow in how beautiful those musical cues are.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 51
RE: Ace! - 3/10/2011 7:44:37 PM   
Sway

I've just come back from seeing this for a second time.   And while the first time round I really struggled to get a sense of what exactly it was - is it action, drama, a character piece? - during the 2nd viewing all I could really think is that at its  simplest it's a love story.

For me, during my first viewing, the love story was simply an aspect of the film as a whole.    I was more focused on Gosling's character and wondered where the whole story was leading.  But having seen it a second time I feel it's not just an aspect of the film, it is the fim.  Ultimately, after he meets Irene and Benicio everything he does is motivated by his love for her.   All his actions are prompted by his desire to protect her and her son.    He gets caught up in a mess because he was trying to help her husband so that ultimately the family would be protected.  Everything that happens as a result is him trying to make sure she won't get caught up in any of it.  

Of course we don't know where he drives to in the end - whether he'll ever return or not - that's left for us to decide.  Personally I think he'd never return to her if there's any chance she might get hurt in anyway (people looking for whoever killed Bernie), and that's a huge sacrifice.   Leaving the person he loves because he loves them that much that he'd rather see them protected than in any danger.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

< Message edited by Sway -- 3/10/2011 7:46:05 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 52
RE: Ace! - 3/10/2011 8:17:54 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I've just come back from seeing this for a second time.   And while the first time round I really struggled to get a sense of what exactly it was - is it action, drama, a character piece? - during the 2nd viewing all I could really think is that at its  simplest it's a love story.

For me, during my first viewing, the love story was simply an aspect of the film as a whole.    I was more focused on Gosling's character and wondered where the whole story was leading.  But having seen it a second time I feel it's not just an aspect of the film, it is the fim.  Ultimately, after he meets Irene and Benicio everything he does is motivated by his love for her.   All his actions are prompted by his desire to protect her and her son.    He gets caught up in a mess because he was trying to help her husband so that ultimately the family would be protected.  Everything that happens as a result is him trying to make sure she won't get caught up in any of it.  

Of course we don't know where he drives to in the end - whether he'll ever return or not - that's left for us to decide.  Personally I think he'd never return to her if there's any chance she might get hurt in anyway (people looking for whoever killed Bernie), and that's a huge sacrifice.   Leaving the person he loves because he loves them that much that he'd rather see them protected than in any danger.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to after a few hours of musing on it. As soon as I stopped thinking 'fuck, that soundtrack was bitchin'!' that is.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 53
RE: Ace! - 3/10/2011 8:49:06 PM   
Piles

quote:

is it action, drama, a character piece?

Are these things mutually exclusive?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 54
RE: Ace! - 3/10/2011 11:09:32 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

is it action, drama, a character piece?

Are these things mutually exclusive?

Apparently not.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 55
RE: Drive - 4/10/2011 12:43:05 AM   
spamandham

I thought this was a fucking brilliant film. Punters whining about lack of car chases would be better off staying at home and having a wank over a top gear repeat.

Post #: 56
RE: Drive - 4/10/2011 1:15:30 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Shadows

Sorry to be the voice of dissent, but I don't think this film lived up to its promise.

Stylish, self-referential and full of little allusions to earlier works that film lovers such as us can enjoy. But, after a very strong start - the opening getaway drive, shot almost entirely inside the vehicle, is superb - up to and including the burgeoning romance between Gosling and Mulligan. But once the film turned violent, I thought it lost its way. Gosling as monotone car obsessive and social recluse - yes. Gosling as avenging angel and pyscopath - ...hmm, I'm less convinced.

I think the film suffers in comparison to the films it alludes to - The Driver, Taxi Driver, Bullitt - and apart from a lot of style, what does it bring to the party that is new?  

I would respectfully disagree completely.
We know none of the characters in this film,that is the intrigue.Who is good,who is bad..who knows.
Gosling is superb as the person we specifically dont know,and the guy who has this implosive anger,but yet appreciates life.
This film has nothing in common with Taxi Driver etc.
And define "new"??

Without love we are dead

(in reply to The Shadows)
Post #: 57
RE: Ace! - 4/10/2011 1:19:01 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Yes,i will agree with that,it has an amazing soundtrack.
I am astounded by this films low key reception on this forum,as a whole.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 58
RE: Ace! - 4/10/2011 1:21:55 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to after a few hours of musing on it. As soon as I stopped thinking 'fuck, that soundtrack was bitchin'!' that is.

Was thinking that during the film myself!!
I was wondering what each tune was exactly,and what cool motherfucker put them together!Sort of distracting!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 59
RE: Ace! - 4/10/2011 2:26:46 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Yes,i will agree with that,it has an amazing soundtrack.
I am astounded by this films low key reception on this forum,as a whole.

It doesn't have Star, Wars or Transformers in the title.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI