Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fright Night

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Fright Night Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fright Night - 20/3/2012 4:06:55 AM   
Sutty

I am a huge fan of the 80's original so looked forward to this with some trepadition. I needn't have worried, this is a fun vampire flick that will not tax the brain but will thrill the rest of you. Keeping the basic premise, but being it's own beast, Fright Night 2011 is well cast, looks good, and gets on with the story. There is a slight lull in the middle, but the last half hour makes up for it. Farrel plays Jerry Dandridge as a very sexualised vampire, who'd just as sooner screw you than drain you of your blood. It was probably an easy gig for him. Anton Yelchin plays a nice balance between the geek he was and the man he wants to be. He really can't believe how lucky he is. Until Dandridge turns up... Mintze Plasse deserves mention too. I haven't seen him before this (I missed Superbad and have still yet to get around to watching it), and he has such an odd screen presence and delivery. But it works. David Tennant is not as annoying as you think he is going to be, and Toni Collette is given little to do. Why cast her if you aint gonna use her? On the plus side there is a nice cameo that will have fans of the original grinning.

Overall, I liked it!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Fright Night - 20/3/2012 4:06:57 AM   
Sutty

I am a huge fan of the 80's original so looked forward to this with some trepadition. I needn't have worried, this is a fun vampire flick that will not tax the brain but will thrill the rest of you. Keeping the basic premise, but being it's own beast, Fright Night 2011 is well cast, looks good, and gets on with the story. There is a slight lull in the middle, but the last half hour makes up for it. Farrel plays Jerry Dandridge as a very sexualised vampire, who'd just as sooner screw you than drain you of your blood. It was probably an easy gig for him. Anton Yelchin plays a nice balance between the geek he was and the man he wants to be. He really can't believe how lucky he is. Until Dandridge turns up... Mintze Plasse deserves mention too. I haven't seen him before this (I missed Superbad and have still yet to get around to watching it), and he has such an odd screen presence and delivery. But it works. David Tennant is not as annoying as you think he is going to be, and Toni Collette is given little to do. Why cast her if you aint gonna use her? On the plus side there is a nice cameo that will have fans of the original grinning.

Overall, I liked it!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

Post #: 32
RE: Fright Night - 20/3/2012 11:20:32 AM   
NCC1701A

Good to see that the film is geting some love now.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 33
RE: Fright Night (2011) - 22/7/2012 2:47:51 PM   
Ref

Caught this on the tele last night, and overall it was a decent film. Entertaining, mildly scary and relatively good acting. The only thing which it lacked was the comedy. Yes, there was a few laughs here and there, but I wanted more.

3/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD
Post #: 34
Www.fivestarscream.ucoz.co.uk - 3/9/2012 5:23:55 PM   
jackcarlin18

Although its not the best remake and i particularly take a dislike towards vamp film but this little comey gem really impressed with its comic yet sleazy humour and its frequent yet enjoyabl scares. Perhaps this could be in running for best horror. But i dont think it will be in the top five. Good film

Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Fright Night Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI