Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Fright Night

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Fright Night Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fright Night - 29/8/2011 8:59:26 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
"Twilight this aint"?? - 29/8/2011 8:59:26 PM   
knave

Sounds great then!
Haven't seen it yet but i'll give it 4 stars off the trailer alone

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Fright Night 3D - 2/9/2011 3:16:04 PM   
Bighousewill

I will say something about the 3D this film is shot in 3D! Most films that say they are 3D are actually 3D conversions and usually the only 3D effect you see is at the Titles and and animated cgi end credits, during the film the glasses only serve to bring the picture into focus. Not the case here as I said Fright Night is "SHOT" entirely with 3D camera's. Now I have not seen the original as I was a baby in the eighties. Fright Night is fun it adheres to all the Vampire movie conventions and rules like how to kill a vampire and vampires can't come into your home unless invited which any vampire movie fan (not Twilight fans!) or any one who ever watched buffy will know. Good film.

Post #: 3
RE: Fright Night 3D - 2/9/2011 5:13:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

I can't find a cinema showing this in 2D so, sadly, I'll just have to wait for the blu ray. Hopefully that'll be in 2D.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 2/9/2011 5:17:47 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 4
What a shame - 3/9/2011 11:44:07 AM   
gordonsalive

I was quite looking forward to this - looks bloody good fun, but just like Shifty Bench I can't find a 2D version anywhere!!

This is gonna lose mony big time, 20.20 for two tickets - no way! I can buy the Blu Ray for less when it arrives. What a shame

< Message edited by gordonsalive -- 3/9/2011 12:10:52 PM >

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'
Post #: 5
RE: What a shame - 3/9/2011 12:45:08 PM   
superdan

I'm not sure it's been released in 2D anywhere, I think it could be 3D only (though I may be wrong).

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 6
RE: What a shame - 3/9/2011 2:06:13 PM   
Bighousewill

Guys guys go and watch the 3D version it is a true SHOT in 3D movie there for it is not a con the 3D here is good and it is genuine and it enhances the experience so watch the 3D this is the real deal.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 7
RE: What a shame - 3/9/2011 2:09:56 PM   
theoriginalcynic

How much does a 3D ticket cost where you live? Our cineworld is 7.80, cheaper on certain days.  Plus they do a card for 14.99 a month - unlimited films. 

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 3/9/2011 2:10:28 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Fright Night 3D - 3/9/2011 2:10:40 PM   
Bighousewill

This film is genuine 3D I do believe that there is only the Fright Night 3D and there are no 2D versions this film is good in 3D it was shot in 3D with 3D camera's I just want to make sure everyone is clear on that. And while I'm here I think trading standards should put a stop to all fake 3D conversions and there are many most recent was Conan 3D where the only 3D is at the title animations and credits animations.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 9
RE: What a shame - 3/9/2011 2:14:03 PM   
Bighousewill

Well I am also a cineworld customer but I have an unlimited card which originally costs 11.50 per month but has now gone up to a whopping 14.99 per month but to answer your question when I want to watch a 3D film although I have my cineworld card I also have to pay a 1.50 surcharge for the 3D.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 10
RE: Great Fun. - 3/9/2011 2:16:40 PM   
NCC1701A

A great film with good performances form the cast. One of the few remakes that actually works. 4/5.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 3/9/2011 2:22:11 PM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 11
So-so, overall and is an ersatz version of the original... - 3/9/2011 3:52:31 PM   
sunnygirly2k4

They changed the foundations for the worse, here and barely any character was remotely likeable, forget being scary and/or funny enough. I probably laughed twice.
You've got a bland lead, his annoying friends, Mintz Plasse typecasted nerd again, his sweet but so-so girlfriend, a neighbourhood sex pest vampire, Russell Brand-lite and the underutilised mum. I'm too tepid towards most of the protagonists.
Even if I hadn't seen the original, this still wouldn't have been more than a 4/10, for me.

Post #: 12
RE: What a shame - 3/9/2011 5:25:01 PM   
gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

How much does a 3D ticket cost where you live? Our cineworld is 7.80, cheaper on certain days.  Plus they do a card for 14.99 a month - unlimited films. 

10.10 at Cineworld Gloucester after 5pm weekdays and weekends,  8.70 before 5pm weekdays - unfortunatly I work for a living.

Where's your Cineworld 7.80 aint bad!

It is truly great that the film was shot in real 3D but not everyone likes watching or can't watch 3D and it's more expensive, and I sure as hell bet they'll be a standard 2D version on Blu Ray & DVD.

As for 14.99 a month unlimited ticket, I just don't have the time to see enough films a month to justify that and besides I'd have to buy one for the wife so thats the best part of 30 a month.

There really should be a 2D version - just makes more financial sense.

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 13
RE: Fright Night - 3/9/2011 5:51:43 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

Guys guys go and watch the 3D version it is a true SHOT in 3D movie there for it is not a con the 3D here is good and it is genuine and it enhances the experience so watch the 3D this is the real deal.

I'm not boycotting the 3D version due to hatred of 3D, it's the fact that I actually can't watch it due to my dodgy lazy eye. 

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 3/9/2011 5:52:05 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 14
RE: Fright Night - 3/9/2011 6:50:28 PM   
captainrentboy

Haven't seen the original, so can't compare it to that. But as it stands on its own, I really enjoyed it.
The first 30-ish minutes were a tad slow/underwhelming. But the final hour+ was great. Farrel and Tennant were the highlights, cheesing up the place no end with their ever so slightly hammy performances.
The action and gore levels in the last half were also top notch. (Liked the continuous shot of Jerry attacking the escaping vehicle)
I'm no fan of 3D but obviously HAD to watch this in the format, and to be fair it wasn't toooo bad. The biggest problem being that most of it is shot at night, and as I'm sure my local have their projectors on some kind of dim setting, it was occasionally hard to focus on what was gong on.
The daytime scenes and some of the later necessary particle effects were really effective though.
4/5

Post #: 15
Fright Night - 3/9/2011 9:07:08 PM   
Whistler

I thought it was great, a perfect mix of humor and horror. Farrell is great as a vampire, and it actually uses 3D pretty effectively (and I'm not a fan).

Post #: 16
RE: Fright Night - 3/9/2011 11:31:00 PM   
HughesRoss

Huge Fright Night fan and I hated the re-make.

Everything that was good about the original they changed and the treatment of the character "Evil Ed!" was abysmal!.....

Farrell was pretty good and I have to put my hand on my heart and say that the escape from the house that had that killer twist was outstanding, but the rest.......sorry but there it lacked the heart and fun of the first and for me there will only ever be one Peter Vincent!...

Sorry Fright Night 2011, but you were not cool Brewster!...........

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 17
Helen gets it right - 4/9/2011 1:00:24 AM   
sephiroth7

I really enjoyed Farrell and Tennant and basically that's all the movie needed to nail. The rest was parsley. Good review empire.

Post #: 18
RE: Helen gets it right - 5/9/2011 10:50:50 AM   
Dr Lenera

Not as bad as some of these remakes!  Lacks the original's charm and best scenes, but is just about different enough to almost justify its existence, with the darker tone working okay, though weakened a bit by mediocre CGI. Farrell is superb, though Tennent just seems to be playing Jack Sparrow!
6/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to sephiroth7)
Post #: 19
RE: Helen gets it right - 6/9/2011 3:06:36 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I checked on the Cineworld app and their only cinema showing it in 2D is Shaftsbury Avenue in the West End which seems odd and inconvient for many in London as its more expensive to go there. Normally 2D is available in almost as many cinemas and is the norm after its been out for a while. I`m reluctant to see it in 3D as most of the action is going to be obviously at night and even if it has been filmned in 3D I`m not sure I`m going to be able to see whats going on clearly. I couldn`t see most of the last Harry Potter in 3D the picture was so dark. 

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5
Post #: 20
RE: Helen gets it right - 6/9/2011 10:30:11 PM   
mackey

While I'm a fan of the original I wasn't overly horrified at the thoughts of a remake so went into this with an open mind. I thought it was great fun which is just as it should be. The whole cast seemed to be enjoying themselves, Farrell in particular had a blast - I wished he was onscreen more. It was funny enough & gory enough and moved at a cracking pace. All in all a very good remake in my opinion.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 21
RE: Fright Night - 7/9/2011 10:46:17 AM   
demoncleaner

A clever, funny, sardonic post-Twilight take on the Vampire canon with expert direction, a gelled cast, pacy script and consummately realised action.

These are just NONE of the things that can be said about Fright Night.  Dull, plodding, unfunny, with a sparkless cast conveying a common interest in cashing a cheque at the end of it.  It is incredibly 'unknowing' too.  It mentions Twilight once where one character churlishly denies reading it.  This is the only ball-less comment that Fright Night makes against the phenomenon.   Its characters remain incredibly uneducated about vampires and the makers think its audience are too of course and so we get two separate lectures about crosses and garlic, and yadda yadda... when in fact all we had to know to follow this not-hard-to-follow plot is what doesn't work this time round in vampire killing.   Toni Collette is a character conceived just to have the words "mom will you listen" shouted at her while you think her poor man Shia LeBoeuf son could show more patience in expressing himself.

For the people who said this was funny, let's go through the funny. You ready?  "I don't want to get suckered again", "Catch you later", "Something came up,"  an eye-rolling cameo and an ex Doctor Who saying "fuck".  Thr Thought Police should raid the next casting director who even thinks about Christopher Mintz-Plasse working again.  

The only thing it has in common with the original is that it is just as dated.  Fright Night 2011 is dated pre-watershed Lost Boys.    Awfully hokey with both the monster iconography and an attempt to do modern teen patois it's like getting your nan to write Superbad. 

Helen get's it right?  I don't know, has Kim had a word?

1/5

Post #: 22
RE: Fright Night - 8/9/2011 12:35:28 PM   
graw123

I went to see Fright Night last night and I wasn't sure what to expect but I enjoyed it! I'm not really into Twilight and all this vampire hype but it was an easy watch and had some familiar faces in it. Maybe if I matched the Lottery results I could make my own vampire film?! haha. Good film, easy watch and the 3D effects are really good!.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 23
RE: Fright Night - 9/9/2011 2:36:40 PM   
skeletonjack

SPOILERS....

This was entertaining enough, though the 3-D was utterly pointless and served no good purpose for the film whatsoever. The only times I really noticed it were during vampire death scenes, and rather than engage, the effects were a distraction: CGI sparks etc floating around the screen looked so out of place when compared to the rest of the film. Final Destination 5 was a horror film that knew how to use 3-D effectively.
I always liked the original Fright Night, and much prefered Roddy McDowell's Peter Vincent and his late night TV show. I'm not a big fan of David Tennant and nothing has changed. Colin Farrell was good, but again I thought Chris Sarandon was better, nice to see him cameo in this.

Overall then 3/5

(in reply to graw123)
Post #: 24
FRIGHT NIGHT- FUNNY AND SCARY. - 10/9/2011 5:06:42 PM   
lewisb548

Its always a worry when a new neighbour arrives, well lets just say my neighbours are total fucking assholes but I prefer them to the likes of Jerry in Fright Night.
The storys a nice blend of comedy and horror, Anton Yelchin playing our hero Charley is one of the cool kids, he went from geek to cool and due to that he now has a very pretty girlfriend Amy (Imogen Poots.) and Charley has come to neglect his former best friend "Evil" Ed Lee.
Charley is living the good life until Ed confronts Charley and explains that Jerry, Charleys new neighbour is a vampire, well Colin Farell has good fun as Jerry the physcopathic sarcastic and remorsless vampire from next door.
So in an attempt to kill of Jerry, Charley recruits Peter Vincent ( a foul mouthed David Tennant.) to kill the charming but deadly Jerry.
Well that plan doesn't work out so well because Peter Vincent is a total fucking coward who prefers hiding in his panic room to confronting a vampire, well to be fair, he has good reason because years ago Jerry slaughtered poor old Peters family.
Well in all fairness Fright Night was scary but the scares went out the window just after the third act when things became a bit predictable.
Thats not to say I saw everything coming, some parts had me scared shitless but I was holding in my breath due to the fact me and my mate were the only boys at fridays showing of Fright Night. And yes the girls did give me the eyes.
Now the girls are fairly underwritten in Fright Night, Imogen Poots makes her mark and is a step up from the likes of dumb blondes running up stairs and investigating strange noises in horror films. She makes her mark and is present when gore comes about but after 28 weeks later, shes kind of used to gore, I assume.
And Charleys mother a charming Toni Collette makes a nice little appearance but after her house gets blown to shit, she takes a sit-down for the rest of the film and doesn't show up till the last few minutes of the film, well lets just say she didn't make her mark.
Jerry definetely did, but mostly on peoples throats, Colin Farells talent is wasted on him playing good guys and he proves to be a fairly seductive, charming, funny and scary character in Fright Night, whether its destroying a house, ripping throats out or eating apples, Jerry steals the show for the most of the film but his character sinks into the background far too quickly towards the conclusion.
Now Anton Yelchin puts on his best performance to date as Charley, too be fair we aren't always in favour of Charleys actions, especially at the start of the film when he begins to neglect his ex-best mate Ed, when Ed simply looking for a friend comes across as a pest. There is one particular scene which tugs at your heart strings when Charley pushes his ex-best mate to the ground and he truly has become the thing he used to hate, one of the cool kids, but thats not to say I'm always in favour of Ed, because he does transform into a vampire after being persuaded by Jerry, now when CGI begins appearing as the vampires transform its less scary and more funny because of how stupid they look.
Well towards the end of the film everyone started to look a little stupid.
The 3D is entirely pointless and we needed to see more Jerry but Tennant appears and takes his place as the foul mouthed scene stealing Peter Vincent, the apparent vampire expert, but the truth is I could have told you everything he told Charley.
Fright night is a bit like a tribute to both the original and fellow vampire films.
Over the years vampires are now "IN." and werewolfs are out.
This isn't Twilight mostly because Fright Night isn't shit and Twilight is.
When Charley becomes suspicious of Jerry its almost like Disturbia with vampires and sneaking into Jerrys house was a thrilling part of the film.
The set pieces deserve mention because they were scary,eery and its obvious a lot of effort was put into them, but the conclusive vampires lair set piece, failed to amuse and left me wondering "now why couldn't it have been better?"
Fans of the original will think exactly that after watching, but I prefer this one.
Fright Night is funny scary and gory, with great performances. 9/10 4 stars.

Post #: 25
RE: FRIGHT NIGHT- FUNNY AND SCARY. - 14/9/2011 10:44:10 AM   
brucejackiejet

Saw this last night in 2D thankfully (at Shaftesbury avenue Cineworld) and really enjoyed it - perfectly fine without needing to pay extra for 3D.

(in reply to lewisb548)
Post #: 26
Fright Night (2011) - 18/9/2011 3:29:21 AM   
Wallace Crumpet

Okay, so as a fan of the original Fright Night, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this remake. As the release date drew closer and closer, I began to hear good things about the film, and how much of a cheese ball Colin Farrell was as Jerry the Vampire. This sounded good to me, because one of the best parts of the original was the hammy acting from Chris Sarandon. So, having my expectations being brought up from beyond those of any other remake I've seen, I went in being kind of excited, hoping that there would be a remake that actually captured the spirit of the original, while also fixing some of the flaws that kept it from being a total masterpiece (let's face it, there were a few continuity errors in the original that kind of distracted from the bigger picture).
Well, I just got back, and it was...pretty fun, actually. It definitely wasn't AS good as it's 1985 counterpart, but it was a lot of fun, especially near the end, when things really heated up. Farrell was quite good in the role, and I am kind of torn apart by both versions of the character, but I personally enjoyed old school Jerry more. However, the rest of the cast was okay. The only other character I kind of liked was Peter Vincent, mainly because he was the only one giving out a few funny lines every now and again. The problem I have was that his character was really different. In the old film, you can kind of sympathize with Vincent. Although he was taking advantage of Charles just to make a quick buck, you could tell that he really missed the old days. Of course, he eventually becomes a bad ass vampire hunter near the end of the film, which really made for an awesome character over all. In the remake, the writers felt the need to make him as rude and crass as humanly possible. His transformation into a crazy vampire hunter feels a bit sudden in comparison to the original film, and I think that was the biggest problem with the movie itself: the pacing. It felt too modern. The film never reall

Post #: 27
RE: Fright Night (2011) - 21/9/2011 4:46:20 PM   
Cruisecontroller

SPOILERS!

I saw it last night and liked it. The 3D was good not great but good and David Tennent stole every scene h was in. The only bit that I didn`t buy was when Colin Farrell attacked those bullies in the car at dusk on the street. Why would he do that when he was trying to turn the neighbourhood behind their backs not scare them off. Mind you it was a very quiet street maybe he had already turned them I`m no sure. Was Chris Sarandon the guy who goes into the back of th car Toni Collettes characters driving who then gets attacked? 

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Wallace Crumpet)
Post #: 28
Fright Night 3D: Review - 25/9/2011 1:04:41 AM   
Edward9630

Fright Night is an alright film. It had an alright story, alright cast and some cool scenes. The problems I had with this film is, it just wasen't as entertaining as the original and some scenes were boring. While I give them props for not completely copying the original it just wasen't as great as the original. I would recommend this film to be a rental.

Post #: 29
Underrated Fright Night - 23/2/2012 10:24:01 PM   
lynnshep

This film was great. Funny, scary, nice twists, great CGI, good ending. Tennant is awesome--funny, sexy, dirty, lazy. Why didn't this film do better?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Fright Night Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI