Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Round One

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Round One Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One

Deep Red (Argento, 1975)
  3% (1)
The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973)
  16% (5)
The Fly (Cronenberg, 1986)
  3% (1)
The Fog (Carpenter, 1980)
  3% (1)
The Haunting (Wise, 1963)
  16% (5)
Hour of the Wolf (Bergman, 1968)
  0% (0)
The Invisible Man (Whale, 1933)
  0% (0)
My Little Eye (Evans, 2002)
  0% (0)
Possession (Zulawski, 1981)
  10% (3)
Session 9 (Anderson, 2001)
  3% (1)
Suspiria (Argento, 1977)
  20% (6)
The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)
  23% (7)

Total Votes : 30

(last vote on : 30/10/2011 4:25:22 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 2:18:49 AM   
Pigeon Army

Even though I'm not involved in the round, my thoughts in the hope that they may sway those of you looking to please the masses.

The Exorcist - Incredible, spine-chilling piece of filmmaking. Love it.
The Fly - Fantastic, Goldblum fires on all cylinders and the special effects are by far some of the best I've ever seen in a film.
The Fog - It's given a lot of shit, but I agree with Rebel Scum - the atmosphere is key and the film's drenched in it. There are some silly moments, but when that fog rolls in, shit gets creepy.
My Little Eye - I like it, but it wasn't as tense as I hoped it would be and it gets a bit silly at the end. Also good job Homer spoiling the awesome cameo
Session 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5ODQCueP8
The Thing - Fucking hell matty you're persistent about getting this in (that's what she said)

Haven't seen the others. Kind of glad I didn't throw my lot in - it's an excellent line-up, but I would've just nominated In the Mouth of Madness and it would be a Carpenter overload.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 61
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 4:58:27 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Haven't seen The Fly in years, but it suffers from being a less than worthy contender in the Davis/Goldblum collaboration than the quite frankly awesome Transylvania 6-5000

Fixed.

quote:

Also, Nicest thing you've said about me in ages. I take back that thing I said about not wanting you to win the AHOF Especially now you didn't win it anyway.

You can make it up by voting for me in the next round.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 62
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 6:03:00 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I would say "Poor Gimli" But Gimli hated on The Haunting.

The Haunting > The Haunting remake

But that's not saying much!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 63
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 7:00:22 AM   
homersimpson_esq

PA, it's not a cameo. A cameo is a small part by an actor who is well-known at the time. Like a certain cameo in Zombieland. (Note: I am not spoiling that.) This is a bit part, because at the time, no-one knew who he was. 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 64
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 7:03:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Have we had a horror HOF before? I don't remember it.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 65
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 7:18:05 AM   
rawlinson

No, this is the first.

Post #: 66
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One - 27/8/2011 7:22:22 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Could have sworn we'd had one, but looking through all the old threads, apparently not.

Title amended accordingly.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 67
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One - 27/8/2011 7:31:40 AM   
rawlinson

The only specials we've had so far were Christmas and shorts. We did talk about it a lot, and we were going to do the horror one last year, but the timing wasn't right for Halloween.

On that note, not sure if it's come up yet on the thread, but can everyone please try and keep to the deadlines for this round? With the Christmas one, when we run over into the new year it felt like people were losing interest because we were out of the season, so we planned the deadlines for this round to be able to actually announce the winner on Halloween night. So if you're having troubles finding films or anything, let us know as early as possible, please?

Post #: 68
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 8:50:31 AM   
matty_b

The only one I suspect I might have to beg, borrow or steal a copy from someone is Possession as it's the only one I'm currently relying on LoveFilm for. If they don't send it by the beginning of October I'll let you know. It also helps that I've either watched a few of these films this year and last or that I have firm opinions on them that haven't changed in years.

quote:

The Thing - Fucking hell matty you're persistent about getting this in (that's what she said)

Just noticed the invisio text.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 69
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 9:50:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Deep Red, The Fly, Hour Of the Wolf, My Little Eye, The Fog and Session 9 have been added to Lovefilm. Does anybody know if they exist on youtube?

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 70
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 9:54:00 AM   
matty_b

Deep Red and The Hour of the Wolf definitely do.

quote:

Post #: 71
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 9:58:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Aha! Found them. Cheers!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 72
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 10:06:09 AM   
rawlinson

Ah feck. Just realised that Possession is 1 - 2 month delivery on Amazon. I'm wondering if Second Sight were affected by the Sony fire as well.

Post #: 73
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 10:21:57 AM   
TRM

From the general news reports it seems that just about every independent label in this country was affected in some way. I cant find anything to confirm that Second Sight were hit, but they are based in London so its probably quite likely.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 74
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 10:24:35 AM   
TRM

I have just had a quick look around. Play & HMV are both showing it as in stock and dispatched within 24 hours. MovieMail also have some stock and ship within 2 days.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 75
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 10:48:35 AM   
matty_b

LoveFilm don't have it listed as either a short wait or long wait, so it looks like that might be the best bet for it.

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 76
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 10:49:22 AM   
rawlinson

Nicely done there. I get the feeling people should jump on Possession early though, just in case availability does become difficult.

I've decided I'm going to vote in order of scariness in this round.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 77
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 10:51:04 AM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

LoveFilm don't have it listed as either a short wait or long wait, so it looks like that might be the best bet for it.

Thats a bit of a pain

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 78
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 10:59:27 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, I've got Possession as a high priority rental so hopefully it should be here soon.

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 79
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:12:45 AM   
TRM

It looks like the Argento's might also be a problem. From looking around it seems that Play is probably the best bet for those as well.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 80
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:17:22 AM   
matty_b

Not the ideal scenario, but I'll be YouTubing those two.

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 81
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:17:54 AM   
rawlinson

The blu-ray of Deep Red seems ok, assuming people can play blu-rays. Suspiria might be an issue.

Feck it.

Now we know the true horror of the riots - the HoF is compromised!!

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 82
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:31:51 AM   
rawlinson

For the three affected films, I'd say the best solution if you haven't seen them is to jump on them asap until we know any more about the situation. Hopefully they'll be titles that'll be reprinted quite quickly if they were affected by the fire, but for now, I'd say to assume the worst and just watch them on Youtube, find the cheapest possible copy you can, or make them your highest priority on your rental lists.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 83
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:33:30 AM   
rawlinson

For those with Lovefilm, Deep Red is available for streaming.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 84
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:41:04 AM   
TRM

The Fly - Film4, Sunday, 12.50am 

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:53:26 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

For the three affected films, I'd say the best solution if you haven't seen them is to jump on them asap until we know any more about the situation. Hopefully they'll be titles that'll be reprinted quite quickly if they were affected by the fire, but for now, I'd say to assume the worst and just watch them on Youtube, find the cheapest possible copy you can, or make them your highest priority on your rental lists.

A good place to check is in the library - now you can search the county/city catalogue online, and they may have it in stock, so you can rent it out through there. I've just done a search in my local one and have found Suspiria.

< Message edited by MovieAddict247 -- 27/8/2011 11:54:29 AM >

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 86
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 12:28:15 PM   
rawlinson

Excellent idea, thank you. 

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 87
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 12:29:38 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

PA, it's not a cameo. A cameo is a small part by an actor who is well-known at the time. Like a certain cameo in Zombieland. (Note: I am not spoiling that.) This is a bit part, because at the time, no-one knew who he was. 

Well fine then. It's still an awesome surprise and you just ruined it for everyone. You monster.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

A good place to check is in the library - now you can search the county/city catalogue online, and they may have it in stock, so you can rent it out through there. I've just done a search in my local one and have found Suspiria.

Ah, but the library does not offer a delivery option, and everyone knows that nobody involved in the HoF ever goes outside.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 27/8/2011 12:30:09 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 88
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 27/8/2011 11:30:15 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Well fine then. It's still an awesome surprise and you just ruined it for everyone. You monster.

I think you may be overselling it. It's Bradley Cooper fer feck's sake. I think I went, "huh" in a vaguely surprised tone when I rewatched it.

This tiff aside, My Little Eye is a wee gem.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 89
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 28/8/2011 7:42:08 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think you may be overselling it. It's Bradley Cooper fer feck's sake. I think I went, "huh" in a vaguely surprised tone when I rewatched it.

OMG!!!! Bradley Cooper!!!* Can't believe you spoilt that!!!

*I had to Google to find out who he was. Meh.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Round One Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI