Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One

Deep Red (Argento, 1975)
  3% (1)
The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973)
  16% (5)
The Fly (Cronenberg, 1986)
  3% (1)
The Fog (Carpenter, 1980)
  3% (1)
The Haunting (Wise, 1963)
  16% (5)
Hour of the Wolf (Bergman, 1968)
  0% (0)
The Invisible Man (Whale, 1933)
  0% (0)
My Little Eye (Evans, 2002)
  0% (0)
Possession (Zulawski, 1981)
  10% (3)
Session 9 (Anderson, 2001)
  3% (1)
Suspiria (Argento, 1977)
  20% (6)
The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)
  23% (7)

Total Votes : 30

(last vote on : 30/10/2011 4:25:22 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One - 26/8/2011 4:10:21 PM   
homersimpson_esq

FIRST ROUND DEADLINE: 18 OCTOBER

At the time of writing this, I have no knowledge of any other films entered for this round, which is unusual for me. That said, previous HOFs indicate that this is likely to be very diverse, with a mix of different sub-genres. One of these sub-genres is represented by this film, and the genre is giallo. Giallo means yellow in Italian, and the genre/movement is named after pulp fiction novels with trademark yellow covers. So what can we expect from such films? Usually, there's murder and intrigue, and sometimes sex. Deep Red is no exception, but Argento's focus is on atmosphere rather than plot, and in many ways the film is a re-imagining of Argento's own The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, though the whodunnit element is also superbly executed, with great visual clues. This focus on atmosphere was later honed by the director to the point of abstraction in Suspiria. The murders are ingenious and beautiful setpieces, complemented by one of the best film scores I've heard. I can't say I'm an expert on horror, but I can say that this is one of the best I've ever seen, and it deserves a place in the Hall of Fame.

I first watched The Exorcist (1973), aged 16. I was underage, still influenced by a deeply religious upbringing, the film was still banned, it was late, it was dark, and it was just me and my brother watching it. It affected me hugely. My brother paused it at one point to make a coffee because, as he put it, I was "white as a sheet”. It was the first of only a very small number of films to have truly and absolutely scared me. (I'd watched Alien [1979] eight years beforehand, and been fine…) When it was given a certification, along with several other previously-banned films, around the turn of the millennium, I picked it up on DVD and watched the extended cut. It still unnerved me.

In 1970s Georgetown, Washington, live an affluent actress (Ellen Burstyn) and her young daughter (Linda Blair). But, inexplicably, the daughter, Reagan, begins to exhibit strange behaviour which defies medical explanation. Eventually, the titular exorcist is called. Watching the film for the first time in probably ten years two things immediately struck me. Firstly, the film has an holistic atmosphere that whether through memory recall, or through a well-judged sense of dread (or both) still has the power to unnerve me. Secondly, it's a surprisingly slow burn: The strange occurrences do not start immediately, but instead the film is imbued by a powerful sense of the other-worldly. The music, and sound design as a whole, is remarkably proficient: pitch perfect tuning to unsettle the viewer. The opening Iraq-set dig is curiously irrelevant to the film, story-wise, save for introducing us to the exorcist himself (Max Von Sydow). But what it does is provide the atmospheric edge: it puts the viewer ill at ease, with the unexplained phenomena, discordant music, and unfamiliar landscape. The discomfort, then, continues into leafy suburbia. Tubular Bells may try to create a sense of devil-may-care, but it is increasingly apparent that the devil really does care.

The film also goes to lengths to discredit the idea of exorcism as a real thing. It does not embrace demonic possession as an actual thing, but as a psychological affair. The skill of the film is in having the evidence our own eyes see, be at odds with what we are being told. If this is all in her head, we surmise, then how can she do x, or y? Religious belief is, ultimately, irrelevant to the effectiveness of the film. Looking at the film through the eyes of a sceptical militant atheist, it's still going to be seen as a chillingly effective story of something effectively chilling. Beliefs or not, the events of this film are portrayed in a way that inhibits scepticism by acknowledging it up front.

Vote for The Exorcist to be entered into the Hall of Fame. The power of Christ compels you.

Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) is an eccentric scientist who is just putting the finishing touches to his latest project, 2 pods which can transport any matter across space simultaneously. In order to try and impress journalist Quaife (Geena Davis), Brundle tries to rush through his final tests on the machine and decides to go through himself to prove that it works, when disaster strikes as a fly enters the pod.

From looking at the plot synopsis, it can be very easy to see the influence the original had on this film. The basic concept is still there of the fly and the human going into the machine and merging, the strain this has on the life of the human and within his relationship.

It is however within the way the fly and the human merge that the difference in tone of the films become apparent. In the original, there are of course the limitations of the technology of the time, which would have only allowed a couple of creature models to have been created and then used during the film. For the original we follow the like of the human/fly after the experiment where the creature is essentially a human with the head of a fly, and finally a version of a fly with a human head. Cronenberg however has given the remake a much more uncomfortable feel as he is able and willing to show the slow deterioration of the human as the body is gradually taken over by the fly. Cronenberg then couples this deterioration with the relationship Brundle and Quaife builds over the film, to show the heat ache of Quaife losing the man she loves, while Brundle loses mental control of the new being.

As far as body horrors go, this has to be right up there among the best. Apart from Cronenberg's obvious talent in filming the change, there is the incredibly lifelike looking make up of the Brundlefly design along with Goldblum's finest performance to date. Perhaps the greatest achievement is that it will never be able to be looked at as being a product of a certain era as the original does, as not only are its themes still current now, but its look and feel dont seem like a product of their time.

The Fog rarely gets the classic status it deserves, sandwiched as it is between Halloween and Escape From New York in Carpenter`s filmography, with The Thing following shortly after. In this company it does get regarded as something of a lesser effort, but The Fog stands alone as one of the best ghost stories ever put to film, and in terms of actually being scary, surpasses The Thing and is on an even footing with Halloween.

The best way to describe The Fog is thus: if MR James and HP Lovecraft teamed up and wrote a film script, The Fog would be the result. It has MR James`s common theme of past wrongs being avenged, Lovecraft`s moodiness, and from both a measured pace and unparalleled atmosphere. The one way it differs from more or less anything the two wrote is that it`s an ensemble piece, replacing the usual sole protagonist or final girl with a mix of people, all of whom stand an equal chance of dying. This makes the film tenser than Carpenter`s more lauded work, as we KNOW there`s no way Kurt Russell`s life (for example) is going to be seriously threatened until the third act.

The film is also comfortable establishing characters and making them into more than the usual stereotypes before unleashing the fog amongst them, which is more than the vast majority of horror films have the patience to do. Despite this, it never loses tension, establishing the backstory early by way of a children`s campfire story and the fog at the same time, meaning the threat of it looms over the entire film. Also to its credit, while the film establishes what the occupants of the fog are, it never explains how they`ve come back; the explanation would have inevitably been somewhat hokey, so the film chooses instead to leave it to the viewer`s imagination, rendering the fog all the scarier.

The actors are all great, the script is fantastic, but this is a film where the atmosphere is king, and (Controversial statement incoming!) its atmosphere and pure fear factor betters anything else Carpenter ever did.

The 1999 adaptation of Shirley Jackson's classic ghost story The Haunting of Hill House would rightly hold a place in a list of the worst films of all time. But this early 60s adaptation is one of the most unsettling horror films ever made. When Robert Wise wasn't directing dreary musicals he displayed an incredibly sympathetic eye for the outsider, through work like The Curse of the Cat People, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and this classic.

The Haunting focuses on four characters who decide to explore the remote gothic mansion known as Hill House. Led by parapsychologist, Dr. Markaway, they are there to try and explore psychic phenomena and prove that ghosts actually exist. Joining Dr. Markaway are Luke, the nephew of the current owner of the house, and Eleanor and Theodora. Theo is sophisticated, catty and clairvoyant. Eleanor is on the edge of a nervous breakdown, so brittle you feel she could shatter at a touch.

Eleanor is the heart of the film, having spent most of her life in isolation, caring for her ill and demanding mother, Eleanor's past paranormal experience appears to have been the only time she's ever felt alive. She jumps at the chance of exploring the house, believing that the people she meets there will become her first real friends and be able to save her from her own life.

The house is a character in its own right, dark and foreboding, playing games with its inhabitants, Hill House has a bleak history, especially when it comes to women dying there. The house is claustrophobic, menacing and atmospheric. It throws the viewer so off-balance that you find yourself watching the shadows and the edges of the screen for the slightest movement, because you accept that the house is haunted and you're just waiting for the next manifestation.

But what is the house haunted by? It has a history, but is it just ill-luck, or does something really walk there? One of cinema's other great ghost stories, The Innocents, could be read as a ghost story, or as the sexual repression of the lead character. Some critics have tried to claim the same of The Haunting. I don't think that's ever an issue here. From the beginning the viewer feels that this house IS haunted. But does the haunting exist before they walk through the door or has Hill House spent all of its time waiting just for them?

Vote it into the Hall of Fame. It deserves it.

It is the late 60's and Ingmar Bergman was a very busy man, making a film trilogy of (unconnected) films with Max von Sydow and Liv Ullman. Two of these films were the flawed but great Shame, dealing with a couple living during a civil war happening in an alternate reality Sweden and the yet-unseen The Passion of Anna. The most bonkers of the three though, is without a doubt his only foray into horror, Hour of the Wolf. Something of a companion piece to Persona, a haunted tortured artist and his wife go to live in isolation on an island. There they meet a bunch of aristocrats (who are also demons) who proceed to torture and humiliate the artist with the wife being unable to help her husband. The eerie atmosphere, the creepy and unforgettable imagery, Bergman's excellent camerawork and stunning performances help to elevate the film beyond its flaws (it's clear that Bergman late in the creation of the film wanted to focus more on Ullman's wife rather than Sydow's artist). It's a chilling affair, with the demons themselves being capable of being both odd and chilling, Max von Sydow doing what he does best (going insane) and the Gothic and surreal visuals towards the end just compliment to the mood. Bergman's films with their themes of existential angst and misery always had an element of horror in them-even in something as light as Wild Strawberries- so watching Bergman finally do an all out terror was something that was both apt and perfect, with the biggest shame being that Hour of the Wolf turned out to be Bergman's only venture in horror.

The 30s and 40s saw Universal Studios make numerous horror films, creating an iconic gallery of characters in films that are now considered classics and, often, definitive takes of the stories - Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Dracula, The Mummy, The Phantom Of The Opera. As good as these are, none can quite compare to the astounding 1933 version of The Invisible Man.

James Whale, with Frankenstein and The Old Dark House already under his belt, was the perfect choice to bring H.G. Wells' supreme science fiction tale to the screen, taking the science fiction concept and turning it into a truly atmospheric and creepy horror film. Perhaps though, the most important thing Whales brought to the film was Claude Rains, the director's first and only choice. With just one film 13 years earlier to his credit, Rains was a fantastic choice. You see his face for barely half a minute, yet he towers over everyone in this film. His wonderfully distinctive, charismatic voice is compelling to hear, and you are never less than 100 percent sure of his intentions. He creates a wonderfully charismatic, yet undeniably maniacal, lead character, and gave cinema one of its finest performances.

The other truly remarkable aspect of the film is the ground-breaking special effects. They may seem dated now but I defy anyone to watch sequences such as the unveiling and not be in awe. Coupled with Rains' performance and the sense that Whales had for eliciting terror, the effects help make this film a masterpiece of horror.

Overall it's compelling take of insanity and obsession, with one of the most persuasive central performances ever seen (or not, as it turns out). Filled with a wonderful atmosphere and a sense of dread, it comes from a time when horror was so much more than just blood, guts, gore and bursts of music. It must be close to 25 years ago since I first saw this film and it absolutely terrified me. It no longer gives me the creeps as it once did, but it's easy to see why it affected me so. It's quite possibly the finest horror film ever made.

Five American adults agree to live six in an isolated mansion as part of a Big Brother style web cast. The rules are fairly straight forward: spend six months in a mansion and win a share of a million dollar prize. If someone leaves, everyone loses. However, with just one week to go before the end of the web cast, things start to go very wrong...

As well as being scary as fuck, My Little Eye  is a razor-sharp critique of society's obsession with reality TV shows such as Big Brother ("I'm here for the money, what's your excuse?" says one character to the webcast's viewers "What, you've got no life of your own?").

Showing all the events of the film through the web cams dotted around the house, director Marc Evans conjures up an uncomfortable feeling of insidious dread and paranoia that will have you squirming in your seat long before the sudden bursts of graphic violence.

In lesser hands it could have been a brainless bit of found footage bandwagon jumping fluff, but My Little Eye is a truly one of those films that lodges in the brain long after you have seen it. Hell, even the Blair Witch would be shitting bricks after watching this one.

In what may be the most divisive film of this round, Possession follows the relationship breakdown between Anna (Isabelle Adjani) and Mark (Sam Neill, in the same year he played that jerk Damien in the Omen III), after Anna confesses she has been having an affair. After this reveal, the rest of the film is essentially a visualisation of emotions which have been repressed for years. Mark, after having been emotionally distant and just generally acting like an idiot, focuses on his own insecurities and 'creates' Anna's lover in his mind, who is superior in every way. He also sees Helen (also played by Adjani), his fantasy of Anna, who is emotionally the polar opposite of Anna at that point – stable, calm and, seemingly, asexual.
Anna, however, sees the damage the break-up is doing to their son and has her hatred towards her husband turned in on herself, and her self-loathing would, inevitably, lead her to have sex with a tentacle creature.

Anyway, to say any more of the plot would be to spoil the surprise and pleasant, calm experience of watching this film. Also, the fact that Possession is set in Berlin in the early 1980s is a clear indication of Zulawski's intentions when discussing division.

Something that is always brought up when Possession is mentioned is the performances – especially Adjani's. One scene in particular, a lengthy one in the subway, will linger long in the memory of anybody who watches it. Of course, Sam Neill's performance

Comfortably one of the most surreal and intense films I've ever seen, Possession is completely unique and more than deserves to be in the hall of fame.

I was asked to nominate a film for the HOF Horror Round and there was so many I could have picked.  Halloween?, Behind The Mask?, Frailty to even an old classic like Bay Of Blood, but instead my eyes were transfixed on the 2001 classic Session 9, a film that has become one of the most best unheard horrors in recent times, a film that many call a true classic in an age where re-makes and sequels are all the rage.

Session 9 arrived with no fanfare but quickly the news spread among all die hard horror fans at how good this film is.  Directed by Brad Anderson (The Machinist), this delightful little tale is centred around a group of Asbestos removal crew who are clearing out an old abandoned Metal Asylum   The Danvers State Hospital has been empty since 1985 and the crew led by Mike (Stephen Gevedon) and Phil (David Caruso) go about their duty the best they can, but horror hides deep in the dark corridors of the Asylum, where secrets emerge from the past to the present to a terrifying effect. What was a simple job takes the workers into a psychologically and deeply unsettling journey where their lives will never be the same again.

I picked Session 9 because its different to what is out there.  Its a thinking man's horror where suspense and thrills more than makes up for the lack of gore.  Just listening to the voices of the old patients on audio tapes left behind to gather dust is more scary than any man in a mask holding a kitchen knife, and while the film is unknown to many, the fans of this film will tell you its nothing but a chilling tale and one of the greatest horrors of the noughties.

Even if you do not agree after watching this film, I have done my job in bringing this film to other fans of the horror genre, and even if I get at least one member of this HOF to fall in love with this film, then win the Horror Round or not, at least I have the satisfaction I have made one person fall in love with the beauty that is Session 9!

Why is this the greatest Horror movie of them all,a film that so much deserves to be in the Hall Of Fame,well it is the master of horror Dario Argento's masterpiece of horror.Suspiria 1977 is an extravagantly stylized Danse Macabre with its assault of garish colors, booming soundtrack and horrifically dreamlike set pieces.It is the cinematic equivalent of a scary fun house,a nightmare journey into the deepest fears that hunt are dreams,it is set out that way from the very start,and is like no other horror film before or after.Cut to various lengths due to it's violent content, the film's original full running time is 100 minutes full uncut release in Italy,not 98 minutes US release 1977as some seem to believe.Hard to believe but Argento got the idea for this movie from a story his then wife Daria Nicolodi told him about her Grandmother who told the story of a school run by witches.Also his love of Disney s Snow White which had scared him as a child,but now he saw it's dark visuals as an inspiration. Also not surprising was Edgar Allen Poe,which he so much wanted to put to film in his own way,but after the after the huge success of DEEP RED he also knew he had to deliver something new.He also turned to a book Confessions Of An Opium Eater by Thomas De Quincey,which had a section on Three Mothers,Of Sighs,Darkness and Tears,so the trilogy was born.Daria Nicolodi gives an important contribution in co writing the screenplay with Argento,which as in truth has a very thin plot.It's about a young, impressionable American dancer Susan (Jessica Harper)who travels abroad in order to study at a prestigious European ballet academy,run by Madame Blanic and Miss Tanner.From the first day, however, she begins to realize that frightening things are afoot at the hallowed institution.Enduring a rain of maggots, poisoned food and other unpleasant occurrences.Then a series of bizarre and horrific crimes, turn the academy into a living nightmare, Suzy must escape before the true nature of the sinister organization that runs the school is revealed,a secret convening place for an ages-old witches' coven.

To give the movie it's lush look and dazzling lighting effects,he used an outmoded Technicolor film stock,which Luciano Tovoli his Cinematographer used to great effect.Dario showed him Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs before filming began,so he could illustrate the vivid psychedelic quality he wanted on film.Also his use of the tracking shot in this is far more powerful,it had been a Bava inspired technique that he made his own trademark,and this would be used by other great directors like De Palma,Scorsese and Rami,but Argento took this from Bava his hero and improved it.This movie set a new benchmark in horror,that even Kubrick would follow,as in The Shining with it's over use of the colour Red,and nightmare feel to it,also Sam Rami with Evil Dead that dark fariy tale feel once again to name but a few.Imagine if any of these three had made Snow White??? it would have been a censors nightmare come true.To this mix the Italian rock music band Goblin did there finest score here for this classic,which has been reused in several Hong Kong movies.The main theme has been sampled on the Raekwon and Ghostface Killah song, Legal Coke off of the R.A.G.U. mixtape. Also sampled by RJD2 for the song, Weather People off Cage's Album,and was named one of the best song of 1977??

The opening shot's of this movie set the tone with full use of primary colours,ear crashing sound and of course great camera work.It's a tinge of the giallo genre with a  Susan arriving at the airport and picked up by a taxi to go to the school,all in the pouring rain,in the dim yet bright light.Then the double murder sequence which is one of the most bloody scenes in modern horror films,and retains its shock value after all these years.A girl is stabbed in the heart(ye old black glove with large knife,is Argentos own hand) then hung and pushed thought a stained glass roof,only for her screaming friend below to be impaled with the falling glass.This one sequence makes any murder scene in a teen horror film today look tame,with it's full on violence,that still shocks the unwary.The only murder sequence from an Argento film to match this in its brutality is the arm removal scene in Tenebre(1982).The first twenty minutes is pure shock horror at it's most bizarre and gruesome,and in truth noting after comes as close in the film,but it still has plenty of chills to come.

Later there is the death of Daniel, the blind piano player which is a great set piece and full of suspense. The scene takes an unexpected turn when he is attacked by his own dog,because the scene at its opening points to him being killed by a witch. Dario Argento along with cameraman Luciano Tovoli uses complex camera movement to make this scene work. This scene must have impressed Lucio Fulci that much,when he saw the film,for he would play homage to it in The Beyond(1981).Another great scene is a girl  falling from a window above a door,as she is chased by some unknown force, into a room full of barred wire,where she struggles to escape in vain.But it's the use of colour and sound that is like nothing seen before, a full on European Gothic stylistic movie.Instead of going for dark, moody colours or the more modern technique of filtering a sickly green or sepia or blue colour to enhance elements of dread, instead of utilizing a dark-ambient theme with the occasional crashing violin, Argento decides to flood the scene in an orgy of color, rapid editing, and its unsettling, feverish Goblin score reminiscent of "Tubular Bells"(The Exorcist) with more primeval howls and drums, which escalate until they're practically reverberating all over the film.The audiovisual shocks are outstanding and come close to being unbearable, as they are both brutal and shocking.Even in it's smallest gestures as when a malevolent dance instructor pours water straight into Susy's mouth,the heavy glass pitcher rattling against her teeth,you feel the chills run up your spine.The flickering of light off Crystal,the strange shadows at night, shock cuts, coloured lights, and peculiar camera angles all add to the surreal nightmare feel of this movie.There are plenty of thrills and spills,and are so classy and fast that the movie becomes in effect what horror movies seemed like when you were young,the stuff of nightmares.

The film score itself is a master work of terror, by the rock group Golbin, bringing an overpowering, heart pounding freakishness to the film.The sound of this movie alone could drive fear through your heart,with screaming grating sound effects,and the visuals just pure beauty put to film. Even in its quite slow moments it has a chilling atmosphere which never lets up.It has become part one of The Three Mothers trilogy,with INFERNO part two and the final instalment  MOTHER OF TEARS a decent if flawed movie.But SUSPIRIA is a totally complete movie,a totally dark fairy tale of witches, murder and graphic death which holds you right till the end.It's a true horror movie,with no let up and devoid of humour(except for some very dark moments).A surrealist demented fairytale, and one of very few films that occupies the no-man's-land between art house and gore-hound slaughterhouse.This is a stunning beautiful horror fable gone to the extreme perverse, technique over substance taken to its maximum level.
A true  classic Dario Argento masterpiece one of the greatest horror movie's of them all and a truly weird and surreal experience that only David Lynch could come close to doing,with his movie Inland Empire 2006.Of course we have had Black Swan 2010 by Darren Aronofsky which again is very much inspired by Argento's classic,and also of interest is that the star Natalie Portman has been linked to the remake of Susipira,as star but also as producer,as it is her company that has got the rights,but there are so many rumours now it's hard to get the truth about it.But one things for sure noting can ever match the nightmare world that Dario's classic takes us into,and no remake or re boot will ever match or beat this true classic of horror cinema,in fact no one should dare even try,not even if they are the new kings of Horror,in fact they should know better.

The Thing is one of the very few films that has me rooted right through to the final end credit. It's partly down to Morricone's ominous and dread-inspiring music, partly down to the stark simplicity of the white lettering on jet-black of the end credits, but mostly I think it's because The Thing has a captivating bleakness to it quite unlike any other. You don't watch The Thing, you survive it... Carpenter's update of the 1950s Howard Hawks classic takes the basic plot - an American scientific research base based in the Antarctic dig up an alien frozen in the ice for hundreds of years and it's none-too-happy about it - but transforms it into a paranoid, tightly-wound masterpiece, drenched in blood and utter, shrieking terror. Carpenter's camera prowls around the isolated, dark base, trundling down the constricted corridors, letting us get a true sense of how these 12 men (all superbly cast by the way, with Carpenter fave, Kurt Russell, never more moody and fearsome than he is here) are all piled on top of each other and how ready the base is to explode in horror and fear. It's a film that manages to have its cake and eat it, too, Carpenter expertly balancing clammy scenes of tension as the men try to guess just who the shape-shifting alien has disguised itself as, with the unforgettable make-up effects of Rob Bottin, a hideous delight that never overpowers the central tension at the heart of the film. It was buried in 1982 at the box office by ET and critics tend to take Alien over it, too - yet critical opinion has slowly started to appreciate the genius of the film lately and there could be no more fitting accolade than a place in the Empire Hall Of Fame.

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 27/8/2011 7:20:52 AM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:19:32 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Initial thoughts:

Deep Red (Argento, 1975) - Picked this up on BR, looking forward.
The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973) - Well, it's amazing.
The Fly (Cronenberg, 1986) - One of my favourite Cronenbergs. Much improved from the original.
The Fog (Carpenter, 1980) - Watched this for the first time recently. Quality stuff, really atmospheric. Feels like a Stephen King story.
The Haunting (Wise, 1963) - Tragically, I've seen the remake, but not this one. But I like The Sound of Music and West Side Story, so I'm bound to like this, right?
Hour of the Wolf (Bergman, 1968) - I need an excuse to watch a Bergman, so this will do nicely.
The Invisible Man (Whale, 1933) - So many Universal classics I've not seen. This is one of them.
My Little Eye (Evans, 2002) - Nice choice! Went under the radar a bit 9 years ago, but this is excellent stuff, when reality TV was still new. Great little atmospheric shocker. Also, look out for bit part from Bradley "in every film at the moment" Cooper.
Possession (Zulawski, 1981) - Never heard of it. Looks interesting.
Session 9 (Anderson, 2001) - As above.
Suspiria (Argento, 1977) - picked this up on BR. Reliably informed it should look "the shit" on BR. Nice.
The Thing (Carpenter, 1982) - Brilliant film.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:20:27 PM   
matty_b

Yes, I was right about Gimli.

Some great, great films here and happily, there's only about four I haven't seen. More indepth thoughts later.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 3
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:21:24 PM   
rawlinson

Excellent work with the pictures! 

Post #: 4
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:23:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I keep waiting for someone to point out that the pictures I've used for the films I've not seen are not actually from the film in question. I just use Google Images and hope for the best...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:26:20 PM   
elab49

Well 2 of my top 3 are in there so it makes it instantly difficult to decide on a vote (Haunting and The Thing). Invisible Man is one of my favourite films, but isn't quite as high up my horror list (although Rains insanely mad vocals send real chills down your spine). The Fog is the last of the nominees that I love and always rewatch.

Dislike the Argento and I'll be interested to see if the dreadful Adjani spinning top thing splits the vote. Session 9 didn't grab me, but My Little Eye was quite interesting.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:26:59 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I keep waiting for someone to point out that the pictures I've used for the films I've not seen are not actually from the film in question. I just use Google Images and hope for the best...

You realise they're going to be scrutinised all the more now?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 7
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:27:36 PM   
rawlinson

Deep Red (Argento, 1975) - Fantastic film, worried about it being hurt by being in the same round as Suspiria.

The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973) - Yeah, it really is something special.

The Fly (Cronenberg, 1986) - One of the films I'm most interested in rewatching. At the moment it's not top five Cronenberg for me, so I can't wait to try it again.

The Fog (Carpenter, 1980) - Yeah, one of my favourite JC films. Love all the nods to classic ghost stories.

The Haunting (Wise, 1963) - Wonderful ghost story. Vote for it.

Hour of the Wolf (Bergman, 1968) - I can't wait to hear what Hughes thinks of this. My second favourite Bergman and a fixture in my top 100.

The Invisible Man (Whale, 1933) - I'm sure Gimli's nomination was the most worrying for people He's picked a classic though.

My Little Eye (Evans, 2002) - The other one I'm most looking forward to rewatching. A very good film, but at the moment I think it's going to get overshadowed by some of the others.

Possession (Zulawski, 1981) - I can't wait to see what people think of this. It's a masterpiece. But it's fucking insane.

Session 9 (Anderson, 2001) - I love this film, really hope it does well. And glad PA isn't in the round to hate on it.

Suspiria (Argento, 1977) - Yeah, should go far. Brilliant film.

The Thing (Carpenter, 1982) - Perfect Halloween viewing, my favourite Carpenter, my pick for the winner.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 8
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:29:00 PM   
Rebenectomy

Really looking forward to this, as I've only seen four of them.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:32:08 PM   
rawlinson

Which ones?

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 10
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:32:26 PM   
MonsterCat

The Exorcist - One of the greatest films of all time IMO. Homer, you have great taste.

Deep Red - Haven't seen any Argento at all, I don't think.

The Fly - Great film. Goldblum vomming on John Getz still makes me cringe.

The Fog - Another classic. Now I have an excuse to upgrade this one to blu-ray.

The Haunting - Haven't seen it in a good long while, so it'll be nice to re-visit it.

Hour of the Wolf - Haven't seen.

The Invisible Man - Haven't seen.

My Little Eye - Whoever picked this must have great taste in films.

Possession - Haven't seen.

Session 9 - Always meant to catch up with this one.

Suspiria - Again, haven't seen.

The Thing - Amazing. Just amazing. The upcoming prequel has lot to live up to.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 11
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:34:51 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Which ones?

The Fly, The Thing,The Exorcist and Possession. It's a while since I saw the first three too, so it'll be good to see them again.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 12
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:36:35 PM   
impqueen

Deep Red - Haven't Seen

The Exorcist - Top 100, a superb film.

The Fly - Underrated lead performances, disgusting. I haven't seen it in a long while though.

The Fog - Possibly my "favourite" Carpenter.

The Haunting - Classic and rightly so.

Hour of the Wolf - Yes! I really like this, a great choice.

The Invisible Man - I love this film.

My Little Eye - Hmm I liked it but wasn't that enamoured.

Possession - A fantastic film, bonkers but brilliant.

Session 9 - I want to own that building, it's immense, the film is pretty good too.

Suspiria - It's okay (I'm not up on my Argento as many others are.).

The Thing - I was going to watch this the other night, I didn't.

Overall a superb list of films. I can really only see one winner though.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 26/8/2011 4:40:30 PM >

Yes, always.

Post #: 13
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:38:03 PM   
elab49

Actually, that's a point. If anyone doesn't have it The Thing is doing the rounds of the various ITV channels at the moment. They have a habit of showing and reshowing it several times over a couple of weeks. 

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 14
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:38:23 PM   
Rebel scum

This is a great line-up!

I've seen:
The Exorcist-Didn't really grab me like it did others, but that may be more because all the scary moments were spoilt ahead of time. Should be an interesting rewatch.
The Fly-Me second favourite Cronenberg (after A History of Violence). Sits just outside my 100 favourite films.
The Fog-Carpenter's best, I hope it makes it to the second round at least.
The Haunting-A great film that improves every rewatch.
Session 9-Watched this for the first time last week, and it's absolutely brilliant. The atmosphere and setting reminds me of Silent Hill (The first three games games, not the film)
The Thing-Not as good as The Fog, but in my top 100 all the same.

Having never watched an Argento, I'm looking forward to the two nominated here, and My Little Eye and Possession both look great. And I'm a sucker for a good werewolf movie.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 15
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 4:38:46 PM   
MovieAddict247

I haven't seen any of these.......how embarrassing.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 16
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 5:16:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

Which ones?

The Fly, The Thing,The Exorcist and Possession. It's a while since I saw the first three too, so it'll be good to see them again.

You going to be watching along? Excellent.

quote:

Session 9 - I want to own that building, it's immense

Really? The place freaks me out.

quote:

I think it'll be between The Thing and The Exorcist, with The Thing taking it because Gimli hates The Exorcist. That's my prediction.

I'm really pleased there's generally a positive vibe for Session 9. It really is a great little film. And Mullan is always awesome.

quote:

I haven't seen any of these.......how embarrassing.

You should watch along with us.

Post #: 17
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 5:18:42 PM   
Rebenectomy

Definitely going to give them all a shot, bit more free time on my hands at the moment. Plus there's that all important public vote

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 18
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 5:27:15 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Suspiria (Argento, 1977) - picked this up on BR. Reliably informed it should look "the shit" on BR. Nice.

It will, man. I like that you consider my opinion 'reliable'.

This round looks interesting, I might 'play along at home'.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 19
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 5:29:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles
I might 'play along at home'.

So just a regular weekend for you then?

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 20
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 5:30:43 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Definitely going to give them all a shot, bit more free time on my hands at the moment. Plus there's that all important public vote

We're going to be looking for new long and short term members soon if you're interested in getting involved again.

Post #: 21
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 5:39:06 PM   
Rebenectomy

Yeah, stick me down for the next one

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 22
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 6:10:40 PM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it'll be between The Thing and The Exorcist, with The Thing taking it because Gimli hates The Exorcist. That's my prediction.

I think it's an excellent piece of architecture, that and I have a thing for old Hospitals and Asylums, Danvers was pretty spectacular, until some fuckers demolished most of it a few years ago and then there was the mysterious fire that practically destroyed the rest.

I think The Thing will walk it.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 6:32:32 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Eh?

Deep Red - Good
The Exorcist - Crap
The Fly - Ok-ish
The Fog - Terrible
The Haunting - Crap
Hour Of The Wolf - Not seen
The Invisible Man - Awesome
My Little Eye - Decent
Possession - Very good. Clarification of the rules here. I saw it about 6 weeks ago. Do I really need to see it again?
Session 9 - Meh
Suspiria - Terrible
The Thing - Ok-ish

I own three of these. Lots of renting to be done. I wish I could just vote for my top 3, I loathe the thought of having to give some of these points.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 26/8/2011 6:38:38 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 24
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 6:37:49 PM   
matty_b

Deep Red - Haven't seen, but available on YouTube.

Th Exorcist - A great film not just a great horror, and one I find improves on each watch.

The Fly - Excellent. Horrific and tragic at the same time.

The Fog - Probably the lesser of Carpenter's Holy Trinity of Horror, but a favourite of mine and a brilliantly told ghost story.

The Haunting - A masterpiece. Terrifying and it would be a worthy winner, but do we really want rawlinson to win two HoFs in a row?

Hour of the Wolf - Haven't seen, available on YouTube.

The Invisible Man - Not sure how high this will score on a rewatch as a scary experience, but it is a superb film.

My Little Eye. - Hmm. Saw this at the cinema and thought it was shit, so it'll be interesting to see if my rewatch changes my view.

Possession - Haven't seen.

Session 9 - A little gem. Some iffy moments and performances, but one of the creepiest locations you'll ever see in a horror and an atmosphere that crawls under your skin for days afterwards.

Suspiria - Haven't seen, available on YouTube.

The Thing - Clearly the best film in the round.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 25
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 6:38:47 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Eh?

I predicted you'd nominate a Universal/James Whale film.

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 26
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 6:40:03 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well I was pretty much told that a WereRabbit/Muppet nomination would be void

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 7:27:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Yeah, stick me down for the next one

Cool. We'll be putting the thread up in a couple of days, just let us know if you're putting in for long or short term at the time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it's an excellent piece of architecture, that and I have a thing for old Hospitals and Asylums, Danvers was pretty spectacular, until some fuckers demolished most of it a few years ago and then there was the mysterious fire that practically destroyed the rest.

Have you seen Cropsey? You might find it interesting.

Post #: 28
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 7:29:47 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

The Exorcist - Crap

The

quote:

The Fog - Terrible

Hell

quote:

The Haunting - Crap

is

quote:

Session 9 - Meh

wrong

quote:

Suspiria - Terrible

with

quote:

The Thing - Ok-ish

you?

And no, you don't need to watch Possession again as you've seen it so recently, but given that you're such a big fan of the line-up it might do you good to rewatch it, in case it might sneak a spot.

Post #: 29
RE: The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special #2 - Rou... - 26/8/2011 7:32:12 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

Well I was pretty much told that a WereRabbit/Muppet nomination would be void

Awww, I would have voted for WereRabbit.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> The Haunted House of Fame - Horror Special - Round One Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI