Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One Day - 24/8/2011 9:28:14 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
One Day - 24/8/2011 9:28:14 AM   
Aticus

I have not seen this but having just read the source material (otherwise known as the book) on a beach I have to say that it was not very good or complex.

The first half of Dexter was a study on fame which has been done by Ben Elton several times and the second half more an excuse for the writer to rant about babies,weddings and other post thirty trappings.

I am still seeing at the weekend though. For the Mrs and that. Innit.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
:D - 24/8/2011 1:44:35 PM   
megank13

I have read the book 4 times in 3 months since seeing the first trailer for the film. I had to get the book, luckily I did, because I want to know Em & Dex in paper before the incarnations on the big screen. I'm gonna see it at the weekend & I cannot wait! I agree with what you said about the monologues, I think that would make everything easier to watch, to know what's going on in their witty heads, Em's at least, not so much Dexter cos his is filthy most of the time lol ;) So glad that Hathaway & Sturgess are playing them though, definitely makes it worth watching! I think I will enjoy it definitely!

Post #: 3
- 24/8/2011 9:26:48 PM   
artilleryman

I thought the book was surprisingly shallow and definitely overrated -- definitely a throwaway beach book I would say -- but would expect it to make a competent if average romcom...

Post #: 4
Correcto Mondo, Mr Freer! - 25/8/2011 12:53:21 PM   
ramseyrocks

A spot on review by Mr Freer. I really liked Rafe Spall and Anne Hathaway did well despite the dodgy accent. It's just that without the inner monologues Dexter just comes off as a twit and after the great British cast in 'An Education' it's a shame they cast Patrica Clarkson in this and not a great British actress. It would have been cool if Carey Mulligan played Emma - the Mulligan / Scherfig duo to rival DeNiro / Scorsese.
And I loved how Mr Freer worked in an Indiana Jones quote in this. Genius! LOL

Post #: 5
RE: :D - 26/8/2011 12:01:03 PM   
Aticus

quote:

ORIGINAL: megank13

I have read the book 4 times in 3 months since seeing the first trailer for the film. I had to get the book, luckily I did, because I want to know Em & Dex in paper before the incarnations on the big screen. I'm gonna see it at the weekend & I cannot wait! I agree with what you said about the monologues, I think that would make everything easier to watch, to know what's going on in their witty heads, Em's at least, not so much Dexter cos his is filthy most of the time lol ;) So glad that Hathaway & Sturgess are playing them though, definitely makes it worth watching! I think I will enjoy it definitely!

Crikey.

(in reply to megank13)
Post #: 6
Not Read Book I only Imagine A Film When Reading Books!... - 26/8/2011 12:22:55 PM   
Bighousewill

POSSIBLE SPOILERS. Really like this film it was quite nostalgic as it is set from 1989 up to 2011 they really nailed periods fashion etc and the transitions into the world of today. As a love story this ticks all the boxes romcom chick flick drivel this is not. Be prepared to shed a tear I tried to squeeze one out but I am too manly and have more empathy towards dogs named Hatchi. This film if you have not read the book will pull the rug from under you if you think you already know how it ends from the just watching trailer Wrong maybe I've said too much.

Post #: 7
Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 27/8/2011 10:00:17 AM   
filmsunlimited

I did go into this one unsure what to expect and it does seem to be developing into a bit of a Marmiter, love it or hate it. I actually loved it. There are definitely flaws, one gets the feeling that as decent as the fim is it is impossible to do the book (of which I have not yet read) any form of real justice. And some of the years are better than others, (there is one year which features 5 seconds in a swimming pool, to which you think 'OKAYYYYYYYYY!') And some left out. Although thats perhaps where the film mirrors reality. Surprisingly a bit of a tearjerker as well, (spolier) just as Dexter seems to be settling down from the hedonism of 90s rave culture (the use of music is outstanding and so excellently brings back memories for onesself) the story throws a massive curveball (those who have seen it know exactly what I mean.) And then the sense in the film and in life, so achingly familiar, where things get better but never quite the same. The whole thing is propelled by a tragedy-esque score that propels the tearjerkiness. Ultimately, the film even has the ability to get one to think 'What would people see if they saw my life for one day per year?' A film that could even inspire people to go out and change themselves, it holds a mirror to the audience and sometimes what one sees is a bit unsettling. As an experience one of the best films of the year, as actual cinema fairly mediocre in some ways, the acting and chemistry is competent if hardly outstanding. So 3 vs 5 give 4.

Post #: 8
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 29/8/2011 9:45:01 PM   
nhassell

I have never read the book, but got dragged to this today. Throughly enjoyed it, until THAT twist. Great film, though.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to filmsunlimited)
Post #: 9
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 6/9/2011 5:29:33 PM   
BelovedAunt

Off to see this tonight as 'one for the Mrs'. My choice next time - Kill List or A Lonely Place to Die?

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 10
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 7/9/2011 3:02:00 PM   
thetruth

It´s excellent really,and definitely not a rom-com.
Good performances all round.
I suppose love is the other person making you better!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to BelovedAunt)
Post #: 11
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 8/9/2011 4:54:03 PM   
BelovedAunt

Hmmmm....I found myself warming to it as it progressed. That was quite a unique way of making a relatively standard 'rom com' stick in the memory by driving a fucking huge truck through the middle of it. Never saw that coming - neither did Anne Hathaway!! Alright but not great...

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 12
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 8/9/2011 4:56:24 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelovedAunt

Hmmmm....I found myself warming to it as it progressed. That was quite a unique way of making a relatively standard 'rom com' stick in the memory by driving a fucking huge truck through the middle of it. Never saw that coming - neither did Anne Hathaway!! Alright but not great...

You're very demanding!
I didnt find much humour in it to be honest,it is at times grim,without even expanding on "that" scene.

Without love we are dead

Post #: 13
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 8/9/2011 5:02:17 PM   
BelovedAunt

Well you'll be pleased to hear I thought Never Let Me Go was very good.

I thought One Day was saved by the last few scenes in Edinburgh. In truth until then I think you were wondering what the stunningly beautiful Anne Hathaway saw in the (admittedly handsome) total cock that was Sturgess. I haven't read the book and from posts above I believe some of his 'charm' is maybe missed from the film. It was leagues ahead of what seems to comprise the typical Hollywood tripe though...

< Message edited by BelovedAunt -- 8/9/2011 5:03:06 PM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 14
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 8/9/2011 5:10:25 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelovedAunt

Well you'll be pleased to hear I thought Never Let Me Go was very good.

I thought One Day was saved by the last few scenes in Edinburgh. In truth until then I think you were wondering what the stunningly beautiful Anne Hathaway saw in the (admittedly handsome) total cock that was Sturgess. I haven't read the book and from posts above I believe some of his 'charm' is maybe missed from the film. It was leagues ahead of what seems to comprise the typical Hollywood tripe though...

Never Let Me Go is irrationally excellent!
Hathaway's character was a doormat for most of the film,irrespective of her good looks.
I think the film suffers where the book benefits from the chronological listing of events.Some parts in the film seem skipped,or missing,or simply rushed-like the Paris boyfriend bit.
My favourite scene is where Sturgess is walking up the hill with his daughter and he's walking down the hill with Hathaway in his memories.
Beautifully poignant

Without love we are dead

Post #: 15
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 8/9/2011 5:13:45 PM   
BelovedAunt

Loved Rafe Spall though. Was like his character in Shadow Line (my favourite performance on tv this year I think) but with all the evil taken out.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 16
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 8/9/2011 6:37:16 PM   
thetruth

All the evil taken out!
I like that phrase!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 17
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 10/9/2011 11:48:07 PM   
Taizy

I've read a lot of comments in other reviews saying 'Why would Emma stay friends/in love with a prick like Dexter' but truth is that some people (myself included) just can't rationalise why we care about our friends.  Their complex and growing relationship was much better portrayed in the book but given the basic structure to get through they couldn't have pulled that off and the idea is touched on in the scene where Emma tells him "I love you, I just don't like you".  After seeing 'An Education' I got Lynne Barbers book and was suprised to find that the story told in the film is actually a fairly small part of the biography, which perhaps helped the director to be able to get the great nuances and moments between characters that she did in that film.

That said I could overlook Hathaways accent and the fact that she rarely convinced as dowdy as she did manage to convince in the emotions and frustrations when it counted and Jim Sturgess was fantastic in my opinion, his progression was believeable and Dexter was arrogant yet you could see why you'd still want to stay his friend.  I love the book so was happy with the film, which has been a very loyal and best possible interpretation of a story whose best medium will always be on paper. 

Some people call it stalking but it's just selective walking...

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 18
RE: Enjoyable, bring on the book! - 11/9/2011 2:00:25 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taizy

I've read a lot of comments in other reviews saying 'Why would Emma stay friends/in love with a prick like Dexter' but truth is that some people (myself included) just can't rationalise why we care about our friends.  Their complex and growing relationship was much better portrayed in the book but given the basic structure to get through they couldn't have pulled that off and the idea is touched on in the scene where Emma tells him "I love you, I just don't like you".  After seeing 'An Education' I got Lynne Barbers book and was suprised to find that the story told in the film is actually a fairly small part of the biography, which perhaps helped the director to be able to get the great nuances and moments between characters that she did in that film.

That said I could overlook Hathaways accent and the fact that she rarely convinced as dowdy as she did manage to convince in the emotions and frustrations when it counted and Jim Sturgess was fantastic in my opinion, his progression was believeable and Dexter was arrogant yet you could see why you'd still want to stay his friend.  I love the book so was happy with the film, which has been a very loyal and best possible interpretation of a story whose best medium will always be on paper. 

Yes,i like this!
If ever a film should make you read the book,this is it!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Taizy)
Post #: 19
One Day - 24/9/2012 9:52:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

This is a decent effort hampered by a) the fact Dexter is such an insufferable twat he annoys you everytime he comes on screen and b) Hathaway's dodgy northern/ southern accent - she's still by far the best thing in it though. I thought Spall seemed a bit of a cardboard cutout as the useless and unattractive boyfriend that Hathaway could never really love though.

Still it was enjoyable to see it run through the years and...

**** MASSIVE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK ****

when Hathaway dies you think it might be cheesy but Sturgess does a great job portraying the grief stricken Dexter so it's actually moving and fairly powerful, especially when he goes to his dad who informs him he's had to put up with the same level of pain since his wife died.

**** End of spoiler ****

I think three stars is a fair rating for this film - not read the book and probably won't now so can't comment on how the movie compares with it however.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 24/9/2012 10:00:39 PM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 20
Yawn - 9/9/2013 6:28:24 PM   
faulknerdrummer

Didn't empathise with either character; mostly because Hathaway's accent is all over the place, which was seriously off-putting and Dexter is just a dick. Occasional good lines and it looks and feels authentic. Just didn't care enough. I haven't read the book - maybe the structure of having one day a year feels cleverer in prose. In film, it just felt tedious.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> One Day Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI