Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Final Destination 5

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Final Destination 5 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Final Destination 5 - 23/8/2011 3:42:10 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Dear Mr Nathan - 23/8/2011 3:42:10 PM   
loafroaster

Next time, could you actually reivew the movie instead of seeing how many fancy words you can fit in?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Review?? - 23/8/2011 4:35:22 PM   
paulmitchell

Empire where is the review

Post #: 3
RE: Review?? - 23/8/2011 5:26:02 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I like Ian Nathan. I used to love his reviews back in the day so this aint a swipe at him at all but I wonder do genre lovers actually get sent to review genre flicks? It's just odd. All the the main sites, comingsoon.net, shocktillyoudrop.com, dread-central.com, bloody-disgusting.com etc have all been raving about this latest Final Destination. I can't see it being anything other than a solid little genre flick. Same thing happened with Scream 4. Arguably the best of the sequels yet it got a 2 star. Each to their own I suppose.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to paulmitchell)
Post #: 4
- 23/8/2011 5:51:07 PM   
spicer78

i am an avid fan of horror films (even a lot of the bad ones) and even though i think most of the other editions to this series have been only so-so at best, i actually thought this one was one of the better ones. Ian Nathan's review (i thought) may have been slighty too harsh but he isnt that far wrong (again in my opinion). for me this is just one of the better entrys to an average at best franchise.

Post #: 5
Final Destination 5 - 24/8/2011 1:37:54 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I like Ian Nathan. I used to love his reviews back in the day so this aint a swipe at him at all but I wonder do genre lovers actually get sent to review genre flicks?

I agree with Ian's review actually, the film is a bit dull. It has a great opening, a clever ending but the stuff in between is just dire. Two of the deaths go on for ages but they are so devoid of tension, they are actually quite boring. Throwing gore at a camera isn't really that exciting to be honest.  A shame really, as the film starts really well. Also, I have issues with the main premise now as the films go on (and I really like the first two FD's, a lot actually) but that's for another time.

quote:

It's just odd. All the the main sites, comingsoon.net, shocktillyoudrop.com, dread-central.com, bloody-disgusting.com etc have all been raving about this latest Final Destination. I can't see it being anything other than a solid little genre flick.

Then, it doesn't really make any difference what anyone says, Bozz, I have no doubt you'll enjoy the film regardless

And I liked Scream 4 I think it's underrated (though the second Scream is still my favourite sequel)

EDIT: Dammit! I wish people would stop changing the subject matter......)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 24/8/2011 1:39:11 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 6
RE: Review?? - 24/8/2011 2:17:44 PM   
superdan

quote:

Same thing happened with Scream 4. Arguably the best of the sequels yet it got a 2 star. Each to their own I suppose.

I know, I wonder if this will be as empirically good as Scream 4

Post #: 7
RE: Review?? - 24/8/2011 2:36:58 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Giving Final Destination 5 two out of five stars is punishing good film-making.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 8
RE: Review?? - 24/8/2011 4:32:39 PM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Sorry, don't know what that means. I weren't having a go at the review, I was just surprised. Thats all.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: Review?? - 24/8/2011 4:53:31 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry, don't know what that means. I weren't having a go at the review, I was just surprised. Thats all.

Sorry, it's my fault. I wasn't having a dig at you, it was a back reference to an overlong, pointless and circuitous discussion in the Scream 4 review thread.

Post #: 10
RE: Review?? - 24/8/2011 4:55:45 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Oh I rember that. I think some Battle Star fans starting trolling cause of Roslin getting dispatched... (I'm kidding)

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 11
RE: Review?? - 24/8/2011 4:58:24 PM   
MonsterCat

I was riffing on one of Drooch's post in the Scream 4 thread.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 12
- 24/8/2011 5:24:35 PM   
UTB

Why does death bother which such elaborate fatalities? Can't they all get AIDS or something?

Post #: 13
RE: - 24/8/2011 6:16:24 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I was thinking that last night watching the first one. They never get an illness or anything. Or die peacefully in their sleep. That would be so funny if they did a FD flick and all the deaths were really low key, dignified affairs.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 14
Dead Good! - 26/8/2011 4:14:07 PM   
vipey

Unoriginal plot, terrible acting, spectacularly staged deaths, great use of 3D, jet black humour = terrific fun! Yes - it's a formula - but it works. What do you honestly expect from a 'Final Destination' film?

Post #: 15
OK - if this was an original idea - 26/8/2011 10:05:29 PM   
filmsunlimited

So here we go again, into the school holiday summer swansong slot (in a no-mans land between Blockbuster May-Mid August and when the artiness tap gets turned on fully again for back to school September, with Jane Ayre adaptations on a Sunday roast September afternoon inducing thoughs of book marking and lesson planning before a shoe polish, suit iron and bath before watching Antiques Roadshow in your dressing gown......)
Anyway, where was I? The film - Well, its typical fayre for the just finished your Key Stage Three SATS crowd (14-15 year olds for those not in education.) To be fair, it has a good starter and two of the main deaths are pretty decent, although some of the later ones are lazy, lacking in any real suspense and convey the feeling that they were shot and packaged in too much of a hurry. The end, well, lets not spoilerise too mcuh but if this is the last of the franchise (which would be no bad thing, its cheap thrill entertainment that kills 90 minutes but is now about as hackneyed as Series 10 of Friends or Lost Season 6) then the last death (its been done before) does offer a sense of symmetry.
Lots of obviously done for the 3D gore but nothing original here either (excpet for the boney result of a gymnastic routine gone wrong.)

Post #: 16
BEST OF THE LOT. - 28/8/2011 12:32:29 PM   
lewisb548

Well over the years we have had to suffer through seven SAWS, two hostels, one piranha 3d, and 4 of these films well, it seems that after the years have passed, the writers of this franchise have learned a thing or two, literally a thing or two.
They've learned how to be suspenseful again, and they've learned how to scare the shit out of us while making us laugh at the same time. The Final Destination films are famous for their stiff dialogue and gory OTT death scenes.
Well not much has changed, but the death scenes are fresh and suspenseful not to mention brutal, the prime example of brutal being some poor chappy dieing during a massage, and having his head squashed by a statue of Buddha.
Well the most sickening death scene for me was the laser eye surgery bit, which was really sick even for these movies.
As far as sickness goes, this wont have you puking your guts out, but it may make you wary of acupuncture needles aswell as making you scared of getting laser eye surgery.And to make note there is decent use of 3d most notably at the opening scene.
Well this is Final Destination 5 and I wasn't expecting much, but I was amazed at how good this installment was, the opening scene is brilliant with a very memorable set piece, but thats not the only memorable thing, the characters are likeable, most of them anyway, and the actors put on surprisingly good performances.
Of course everyone likes the original the best but I prefer this and thurougly believe its the best of the lot. Thats not to say there isn't flaws, wouldn't it just have been nice to end this installment with a good ending? Yes it would have, I was really praying for a happy ending which would tie up the series but no! The writers are intent on making bloody sequels.
Well you all know the story for these films, a bunch of moderately likeable co-workers and or friends are of on some trip when one of them has a vision of a terrible disaster, and as they escape this disaster, death picks them off one by one in increasingly gruesome ways. Dont call me a bastard, but I did laugh at a few of the death scenes, how could I not? The first death scene, a boat impalement scenario was hillarious, as was various other deaths. And the ironic gore keeps on building up.
There is a twist ending in store which left me shocked, but there is also a twist in the story.....mmmmmmm.
Well the group after meeting the creepy as fuck, Tony Todd, come to the conclusion that if they kill another person they can stop the cycle of deaths and keep themselves alive, well this wasn't one of the best ideas, thats not to say I didn't enjoy the change of pace in these films. Because just past the middle of the film, the intricate death scenes stop and one of the group a Tom Cruise look alike, gets a gun and prepares to end his friends lifes, to save his own, this little change results in a nice little conclusive confrontation in a kitchen which kept your heart racing and much like most of the film actually scared you at times, good job writers/director, youve done us proud. But I see it fair that I have to make mention to the delightfully creepy references to the earlier films, but aside from that the actors deserve some credit especially, Nicholas D'agosto as our hero, Miles Fisher as the anti-hero Peter and Emma Bell as our heros love interest, the other actors deserve a lot of credit but I cant be bother to list them all.
Funny,Scary and bloody good fun. 9/10 4 stars.

Post #: 17
RE: BEST OF THE LOT. - 28/8/2011 9:58:24 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Good return to form for the series after the dodgey part 4. You either like these films or you don't. If you do then you're in for a treat. An impressive opening sequance kick starts the chain of events which include some very nasty deaths. The characters are fun and the ending pulls a sly one. Very impressive. FYI, the Empire review gives away 2 of the films deaths. I wouldn't bother reading the main chunk of it if you wanna see this.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 28/8/2011 9:59:16 PM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to lewisb548)
Post #: 18
RE: - 29/8/2011 1:29:21 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Why does death bother which such elaborate fatalities? Can't they all get AIDS or something?

Because Death is a douchebag. Seriously, watch any of the Final Destination films and it's entirely likely to take from it that Death made them have the premonition in the first place so that he could toy with them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 29/8/2011 2:07:37 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I saw this today.  Empire are being mean with a two star rating (three stars is about right) but then I didn't agree with their Scream 4 review either.  The beginning and end are great and the deaths are as inventive as ever.  However (apart from Emma Bell and the detective) the acting is abysmal.  Truly wooden.  I thought I was watching a lame 80's film like Revenge of the nerds. Final five feels like a definate ending so hopefully they won't make another one.  But if they do may I suggest a Volcano or a huge storm.  The 3D is great, so if you're gonna see this make sure it's at the cinema.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 29/8/2011 2:08:42 PM >

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 29/8/2011 2:40:50 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Really?? I thought Emma Bell had a really thankless role. Not so much her, but her character was really flat and had nothing to do. I think the other girl, Olivia? was great. Would have liked more of her. The acting was fine I thought. Yeah it makes a solid end to the series, if they continue -it flopped so they very well may not- I think they need to bring in more characters who can tie in to the mythology. You know, keep one or two around for a few films and explore the origin of the visions etc. This installament was solid and a return to form but the template has gotten quite old now.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 29/8/2011 3:01:32 PM   
theoriginalcynic

She's the only decent actress / actor in the cast (the Walking Dead, Frozen) apart from the detective.  Altho I admit the role was thankless.  The guys were terrible, really wooden ep the poor mans Tom Cruise and the guy in the massage parlour.

Post #: 22
RE: RE: - 29/8/2011 3:39:35 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Nah I really don't get what you mean about the acting. We must have seen two different films. I thought it was fine. That black guy was pretty good aswell. Think he was in the Friday remake.

You may get a kick out of this cynic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNEQAXX43g

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 29/8/2011 5:20:13 PM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 23
RE: RE: - 29/8/2011 7:22:10 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Thanks, it was worth a watch, if only for Emma Bell :)

Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 1/9/2011 2:51:49 PM   
SoonForgotten2

The original FD was a guilty please back in my Uni days but I never paid much attention to the series past that. Catching the suspension bridge scene at Big Screen totally sold me on this one. 3D that actually works! What a concept! It's just a stupidly enjoyable fun and I absolutely loved that twist ending. This really should close out the franchise, but since Hollywood is so devoid of original ideas, it won't.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/9/2011 2:13:23 PM >

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/

Post #: 25
This series is still going? This'll be longer than the ... - 3/9/2011 3:36:03 PM   
sunnygirly2k4

Final Destination 5 was so-so. Most of the deaths were meh, it was predicatable(apart from the twist ending) and some acting was bad (particularly the bug-eyed main male lead). A tired series that needs to be killed off itself-5/10

Post #: 26
RE: This series is still going? This'll be longer than ... - 5/9/2011 10:52:23 AM   
Dr Lenera

A distinct improvement on number four, and quite serious like the first one and bits of the third-I think this series is better when less humorous.  They are obviously running out of ideas for deaths, but the opening bridge sequence is stunning, the 3D at times quite impressive, and some of the plotting quite good.  As good as anyone could probably expect.
5.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to sunnygirly2k4)
Post #: 27
RE: This series is still going? This'll be longer than ... - 6/9/2011 10:14:11 PM   
hampstead bandit

always enjoyed the Final Destination films - the original and the second films were the best, the third film a little bland and the fourth film had the novelty of 3D (the first "modern 3D" film I had seen) but was pretty "meh"...

this one?

thoroughly enjoyed it..the 3D was fantastic - a lesson in how "3D should be done!!" (the opening titles were stunning)

the film itself?

great fun, very silly great fun, it entertained me, and the closing scenes link with the original film was fantastic and brought the series full-circle

4/5 from me!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 28
RE: This series is still going? This'll be longer than ... - 9/9/2011 2:45:58 PM   
skeletonjack

Final Destination 5 isn't a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. The acting is terrible and you couldn't care less about any of the characters. But thats not why you're watching it. You're watching it to see what ridiculous over the top death sequences they can pull off. In 3-D.
Well, somewhat unbelievably the 3-D works. Not just that, the 3-D is utilised perfectly well. Here we have a film that knows exactly how to employ its medium and absolutely delivers on the carnage. I've grown tired of films being in 3-D just for the sake of it, but here it is a roaring success. The opening credits start the ball rolling brilliantly.
Average film, outstanding 3-D.
2 stars

< Message edited by skeletonjack -- 9/9/2011 2:46:58 PM >

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 29
Final Destination 5: Review - 25/9/2011 1:02:13 AM   
Edward9630

Final Destination 5 is a very good film. Great story, great cast and the death sequences are very good. The opening scene in this film was just epic. My only complaint about this film is it dosen't beat 1 & 2. Final Destination 3 & 4 were terrible but thank god the 5th one is better. I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Final Destination 5 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI