Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here......

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 22/3/2006 10:08:27 PM   
Indio

I also bought Kung Fu Hustle last week, and got this for £6.99 in HMV today -

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 61
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 23/3/2006 8:17:43 AM   
shotlandka

Bought this earlier this week.  The first Russian adaptation of any of Solzhenitsyn's work, a 10 part TV serialisation (directed by Gleb Panfilov, screenplay by Solzhenitsyn himself, who also reads some passages from the book during the film) of 'The First Circle', based on the writer's experiences in a 'sharashka', a special prison for engineers and scientists, to get their brains working for the Soviet state.  Don't think TV serialisation means it's of a low standard, this is one of the great adaptations of any literary work ever.  The Russian cinema academy, at their awards this week, made up a special award for it, as it is just so good.  The 2003 adaptation of Dostoevsky's 'Idiot' was wonderful, but there were a few fantastic actors (Mironov, Churikova, Mashkov), and a lot of good ones, with a few not very good ones.  This time even the bit parts are of the highest standard - and Mironov is a genius, that's the only thing I can say.  Gleb Panfilov has made a classic.

You can dream when the war is over

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 62
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 23/3/2006 12:11:46 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I bought this using my £5 cd-wow voucher

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to shotlandka)
Post #: 63
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 23/3/2006 11:19:35 PM   
nomimalone

Got this for 19.99 in the HMV Sale. 

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 64
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 25/3/2006 12:44:03 PM   
ArcadeFire

This arrived yesterday, been wanting to see it for a while and it was worth the wait.

"Way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck..till some idiot killed it.
Yes, I've read a poem.
Try not to faint"

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 65
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 25/3/2006 9:08:07 PM   
nomimalone

More DVDs from the HMV sale.

(in reply to ArcadeFire)
Post #: 66
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 26/3/2006 5:45:30 AM   
jon blaze

just got kim ji-won's tale of two sisters and park chan-wook's sympathy for mr vengeancee. both fucking brilliant. really getting in to my asian shit at the moment. bought old boy recently and now waiting to but lady vengeance to complete his little trilogy of vengeance films

< Message edited by jon blaze -- 26/3/2006 5:48:40 AM >

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 67
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 27/3/2006 3:43:30 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: shotlandka

Bought this earlier this week.  The first Russian adaptation of any of Solzhenitsyn's work, a 10 part TV serialisation (directed by Gleb Panfilov, screenplay by Solzhenitsyn himself, who also reads some passages from the book during the film) of 'The First Circle', based on the writer's experiences in a 'sharashka', a special prison for engineers and scientists, to get their brains working for the Soviet state.  Don't think TV serialisation means it's of a low standard, this is one of the great adaptations of any literary work ever.  The Russian cinema academy, at their awards this week, made up a special award for it, as it is just so good.  The 2003 adaptation of Dostoevsky's 'Idiot' was wonderful,

Take it that is a recent adaptation,quite surprised about it being the first of any of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's books.I know to put it mildly he wasn't flavour of the month under the Soviet regime but I would have though something would have been done before now.I've only quite recently got round to reading Solzhenitsyn,so far The Cancer Ward and August 1914  and I'm kicking myself for putting him off for so long.
Don't suppose there's much chance of a release of this or The Idiot surfacing anywhere with english subs.

(in reply to shotlandka)
Post #: 68
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 27/3/2006 4:03:31 PM   
UTB

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 69
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 28/3/2006 8:37:54 AM   
Mononoke

I brought it for £14.99 from HMV, I've just been on their site and it's £12.99

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 70
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 28/3/2006 4:32:58 PM   
logboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

the UK disc - cut, isnt it?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 71
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 28/3/2006 6:34:05 PM   
Tokenfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: logboy

quote:

the UK disc - cut, isnt it?

Yes, for animal cruelty.

I don't believe in pick-up lines. I simply say 'Now'.

(in reply to logboy)
Post #: 72
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 28/3/2006 7:41:45 PM   
UTB

Meh. I dont have a multi-region player yet, and I'm not that bothered.

I'm sure there's nothing cut that will ruin the film.  

(in reply to Tokenfella)
Post #: 73
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 28/3/2006 8:57:46 PM   
foz

The cuts to The Isle don't ruin the film, but make the overall package a completely different one.  To be honest, Ki-Duk's portrayal of a woman who cared about absolutely nothing is incredibly hard going for those (myself included) who own the uncut version.  The cuts to the R2UK edition are enforced by UK law rather than the BBFC themselves, and go way beyond the unpleasantness inflicted on the fish, frog & snake in Spring, Summer etc (although that was also cut for the UK).  Indeed, Kim seems to have it in for our aquatic chums, as 1 frog and several fish are tortured in The Isle, as well as a dog and a particularly upsetting scene featuring a caged bird.  I can see what the director was (hahaha ahaha erm) angling for with these scenes to counter the beauty of the setting, but without the moral consequences shown in Spring, Summer..., it feels a bit unnecessary and detracts from the film as a whole due to these images being so strong as to be the only ones that the viewer takes from it when there are so many positives in there.
The Isle uncut is an extremely good study of people finding emotion where they previously had none, but it takes you to some very dark places on the way.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 74
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 28/3/2006 10:25:23 PM   
nomimalone

More purchases from the sales. (Virgin this time).

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 75
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 12:13:50 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

The cuts to The Isle don't ruin the film, but make the overall package a completely different one.  To be honest, Ki-Duk's portrayal of a woman who cared about absolutely nothing is incredibly hard going for those (myself included) who own the uncut version.  The cuts to the R2UK edition are enforced by UK law rather than the BBFC themselves, and go way beyond the unpleasantness inflicted on the fish, frog & snake in Spring, Summer etc (although that was also cut for the UK).  Indeed, Kim seems to have it in for our aquatic chums, as 1 frog and several fish are tortured in The Isle, as well as a dog and a particularly upsetting scene featuring a caged bird.  I can see what the director was (hahaha ahaha erm) angling for with these scenes to counter the beauty of the setting, but without the moral consequences shown in Spring, Summer..., it feels a bit unnecessary and detracts from the film as a whole due to these images being so strong as to be the only ones that the viewer takes from it when there are so many positives in there.
The Isle uncut is an extremely good study of people finding emotion where they previously had none, but it takes you to some very dark places on the way.

Well i doubt it's going to be a kid's film without the added animal dissection so i'll reserve judgement until i see it.. To be honest though, going by various websites and what they have said is cut, i'm not going to miss a terrible amount. And while i would usually hunt down the uncut version, since i got this version for a couple of quid, i'm not going out of my way and getting a region-free player just to see some extra animal gore.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 76
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 7:51:40 AM   
foz

quote:

Well i doubt it's going to be a kid's film without the added animal dissection so i'll reserve judgement until i see it.. To be honest though, going by various websites and what they have said is cut, i'm not going to miss a terrible amount. And while i would usually hunt down the uncut version, since i got this version for a couple of quid, i'm not going out of my way and getting a region-free player just to see some extra animal gore.

There's only 1min 44s cut (about a minute more than Spring, Summer...), but there's certainly a lot crammed into it
...and dissection is the least of the imagery...

< Message edited by foz -- 29/3/2006 6:11:17 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 77
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 8:38:47 AM   
logboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

the HK disc is dirt cheap and uncut. since you have what i would term a 'multiregion taste' in that youve bought a film that could lead you into other films by the same director, from the same country or similar countries - then you need, in my opinion, a 'multiregion player' to get the most out of your interest. and to avoid film censorship. which always makes the film 'not as intended'.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 78
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 9:42:21 AM   
UTB

True, but  I already have Bad Guy and Spring, Summer... on R2 i'm really not that bothered. One day I will get a multi region player and replace all the films that have been cut with uncut versions, which gives me something to look forward to. I dont need to see the uncut versions now. Plus, I like to watch the features, which usually dont have english subs on the imported versions.

Dont worry guys, I'll survive.

(in reply to logboy)
Post #: 79
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 3:09:30 PM   
logboy

quote:

True, but  I already have Bad Guy and Spring, Summer... on R2 i'm really not that bothered. One day I will get a multi region player and replace all the films that have been cut with uncut versions, which gives me something to look forward to. I dont need to see the uncut versions now. Plus, I like to watch the features, which usually dont have english subs on the imported versions.

if you didnt buy the cut versions, you could buy a multiregion player.
if you want to see the films, see the films - i tend to find extras rather a second thought, if that.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 80
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 3:21:18 PM   
Bruce Wayne

Brought La Haine, 10th anniversary edition for £6.99 in Virgin megastore, I sure hope it's worth it.

< Message edited by Bruce Wayne -- 29/3/2006 3:22:31 PM >

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to logboy)
Post #: 81
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 5:48:13 PM   
Ell

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to Bruce Wayne)
Post #: 82
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 6:46:04 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: logboy

quote:

if you didnt buy the cut versions, you could buy a multiregion player.
if you want to see the films, see the films - i tend to find extras rather a second thought, if that.

I'm well aware I could buy a multi region player and I intend when I start my new job.

Anyway, I want to watch the film and see the extras, so it's my choice to buy the UK disc. I was perfectly aware it was cut, i really dont see what the big deal is.

(in reply to logboy)
Post #: 83
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 29/3/2006 7:11:52 PM   
UTB

Anyway, back on topic

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 84
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 5/4/2006 9:59:50 AM   
belluccisbra

£5.99 from cd-wow

Exterminate all rational thought

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 85
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 7/4/2006 9:23:24 AM   
Gram123

Both £8.99 on HMV.co.uk. Used (Macdonalds) £1 off vouchers, so got em for £7.99 each.
Plucked up the courage to order JSA even though the HMV site lists as a (seemingly non-existant) single disc edition when it should be 2 disc. Guess the proof will be in the delivery of it's pudding.

This is the cheapest I've seent the 2 disc SE of "In The Mood For Love" too, and picking this up will finally allow me to watch 2046 which I've had since January...

==Gram123==

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 86
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 7/4/2006 2:15:29 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: belluccisbra

£5.99 from cd-wow

Top film,just seeing the cover makes me want to watch it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Plucked up the courage to order JSA even though the HMV site lists as a (seemingly non-existant) single disc edition when it should be 2 disc. Guess the proof will be in the delivery of it's pudding.

Even if you get the non existent single disc one your still getting a brilliant film,for me easily Park Chan-wook's best work to date.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 7/4/2006 2:20:53 PM >

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 87
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 7/4/2006 4:26:34 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

my little sister got this:

and i got her this for her birthday

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 88
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 8/4/2006 10:36:14 AM   
Leomuse

£8.99 in HMV

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 89
RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... - 8/4/2006 11:15:15 AM   
harleybess

I was going through a bit of a Kurasowa phase and I was told that this was sort of the influence for Star Wars. I have yet to watch it though.

should have picked the photograph it lasted longer than you

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Post your Recent World Cinema Purchases here...... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI