Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Factor 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: X-Factor 2012 Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 11:51:35 AM   
steffols

I do love James. I think he's likeable and humble. I just hope they don't ruin him. He's an original and genuine person with such a passionate voice. Let him do his thing. Don't shackle him down for a year, I don't get why they do that. I hope he does well, I hope he goes far.

I'm so glad I never have to hear Jahmenes version of Let It Be ever again. It was screechy disaster. The song deserves to be sung as if you're singing it for yourself, none of this choir and screeching rubbish. Really awful version.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 721
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 2:09:49 PM   
Scruffybobby

The problem for me re James is that where some might see passion I just see an angry bloke bellowing and looking like he's trying to rip off his jacket Hulk style. I also hear stuff about how he's "authentic" - is this because he's got stubble and tattoos? I really don't see the appeal of the bloke at all.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 722
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 2:15:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Well, well, well. For the first seven weeks Christopher Baloney topped the votes. Interesting. Also, in the week of the James/Ella face-off, James actually came bottom, so if the judges hadn't have saved him he would have been gone. He's now the first winner to be in the sing off too.

It went to deadlock with Tulisa and Louie saving Ella and Gary and Nicole saving James. Ella had the lowest votes.

quote:

Week 7

Christopher Maloney 26.4%

Jahmene Douglas 17.4%

Rylan Clark 15.7%

Union J 14.7%

James Arthur 13.7%

Ella Henderson 12.1%

It's not that surprising Christopher topped the votes for so long. He had the Saturday night granny vote locked up. On top of that, he got the vote for the worst type votes. He also got the protest vote from idiots who think he was being bullied because two of the judges told him he needed to stop being so cheesy. If the alleged reasons he wasn't at the show last night were true, his career is pretty much dead in the water though.

quote:

- Cede that the overs category is dead and either ditch it or shake it up again. Ideas could be to lower the age threshold again to 25. Or to revamp it with a 2nd chance group, where they can be more honest about acts who have previously had a recording contract, or were on the X Factor some time ago.

The thing with the overs is they can usually rely on it to generate money. Christopher this year, Johnny getting the joke votes last year, Tesco Mary and Lord Wagner the year before. Olly was an over and become a star since. I think it's not so much shaking it up as putting a little bloody effort into their choices.

quote:

- Become modern. I can see why the show wants to angle for the across the board viewing figures. But it cant talk about acts being relevant and for today's market and then stick them with doing covers of 70s and 80s numbers. I'm not saying that can't have acts covering them, and they should ditch Louis as their figurehead for the grey pound, but as they make no big deal of a Queen or anything week why run with these at all?

Yeah, Queen week, Abba week. The show is trying to do this balancing act of claiming the winner will be a relevant pop star while also appealing to a large part of the Saturday night market, which is the granny and family vote. I think they either have to drop the "winner should sell millions all around the world" angle, or accept lower ratings in return for less really dated contestants.

quote:

- Make the voting transparent. Its been covered above that this is happening in the US, so it may well be on its way here. But the controversy that X Factor likes is a two-way street where its perceived as a fix. Ironically, these seem to most often come when the public vote is used as the decider.

If that did happen, I think you wouldn't see things like Christopher topping the votes for seven weeks, because voters would see a favoured act in trouble and then support them more. Which is exactly what happened this year with James. The moment voters realised that he wasn't getting that many votes, they went into overdrive and he stormed the rest of the show. The biggest problem will be I think it'll have a really negative effect on the performers overall. If an act realises they only missed the bottom two by a whisker, they're going to go all out appealing for votes the next week. Everything from the time their Gerbil died to the moment their mother grounded them for getting drunk when they were 15 will be dragged out as heartbreaking, life-changing moments for them.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 723
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 2:25:45 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

If the alleged reasons he wasn't at the show last night were true, his career is pretty much dead in the water though.

I loved the article I read where they had some quote from Rylan that started out something like "after using one word to call Chris a very rude name". I think it is where you see that acts like Rylan will make a few bob from the show because he'll put in the work (and bless he might not still have much singing talent, but he seemed a nice enough fella). Whereas you are not quite ready to be a diva if you just get a few votes on a karaoke contest. Shame as if he'd have kept his image, instead of letting them mask slip, there'd be a few quid in it for him too.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 724
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 2:38:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

If the alleged reasons he wasn't at the show last night were true, his career is pretty much dead in the water though.

I loved the article I read where they had some quote from Rylan that started out something like "after using one word to call Chris a very rude name". I think it is where you see that acts like Rylan will make a few bob from the show because he'll put in the work (and bless he might not still have much singing talent, but he seemed a nice enough fella). Whereas you are not quite ready to be a diva if you just get a few votes on a karaoke contest. Shame as if he'd have kept his image, instead of letting them mask slip, there'd be a few quid in it for him too.

I think Rylan could well be the biggest star to come out of this. I think he'll get a lot of presenting work, and he always came across as a really nice guy. His appearances over the weekend also showed how much energy the show has been missing since he was eliminated.

Post #: 725
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 3:11:55 PM   
steffols

With Rylan, he worked hard at changing peoples perceptions of him. When the live shows began, I really didn't like him but by the time he left, I was enjoying him more and understanding his act. He does look like a genuinely nice and fun guy, which is more than can be said for Christopher, if reports about last night are true.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 726
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 3:14:23 PM   
matty_b

I only saw, I think, three episodes of this but Christopher made my skin crawl even in that small amount of time.

The desperation to win just oozed out of him and combined with false sincerity and the eyes of a serial killer made him reek of unpleasantness.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 727
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 3:19:45 PM   
matty_b

Actually, this is who he reminded me of -

"I have no willy."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 728
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 4:03:11 PM   
jcthefirst

"Jumpers and, uh...cakes."

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 729
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 4:04:33 PM   
jcthefirst

And as someone said on Twitter last night "His oddly unspecific tough upbringing has been an inspiration to us all.'

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 730
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 11/12/2012 12:30:36 PM   
primebhoy

Going to meet Rylan on sun night as my mate is interviewing him for local radio, hope he's as funny in real life as he was on the telly.

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 731
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 11/12/2012 1:16:59 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Good luck with the interview. I would kind of love it if Maloney turned up pissed, with a can of Tennents superstrength in his hand going "Talk to me, talk to me you bollox. I'm the public choice, not like that kant Carolynne.... Oh we're halfway there.. ooooooh oh.. livin' on a... hey you.. yes you over there get me another fekking drink you bastard... I'll show 'em, I can sing more then one fekking line." before staggering off to be sick in the corner.

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 732
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 11/12/2012 2:10:12 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

I think Rylan could well be the biggest star to come out of this.

Shudders

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 733
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 11/12/2012 2:13:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

I think Rylan could well be the biggest star to come out of this.

Shudders

Its a comparative thing, like saying the VW Beetle is the best thing to come out of Nazi Germany

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 734
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 11/12/2012 9:23:47 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Actually, this is who he reminded me of -

"I have no willy."

Consider the nail well and truely hit on the head!

I think nowdays the voting patterns are more interesting than the show itself.  Pretty curious that it was fairly near the end that Arthur ceased to middle of the road at best, vote wise.  I'm pretty sure that up until a year or two ago, the eventual winner   usually emerged to have been consistently recieving the most votes (or near enough) right from the start?  Either shows that people are a bit more fickle now or there's a rise in protest votes since the trend of putting in joke acts.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 735
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 7/10/2013 9:52:12 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Quite literally the show that has got no-one talking.

And I can see why. At this stage of coming into the live shows I honestly couldn't remember the name of a single act. Its been bum-achingly boring all the way.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 736
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 7/10/2013 10:37:24 AM   
Chief

I'm watching it but purely for family TV reasons, although I have developed my favourites (Abi, Sam (female) and Nicholas).

The whole 2-stage auditions were a bit daft, the quality of singing on the Sunday show didn't matter a jot. In fact, Saturday didn't either. Contestants could nail it Saturday, be rubbish Sunday and still go through or be brutal both nights (Thingy Roots) and go through. Or be good Saturday, shaky Sunday and get put out. There really was no point.

As in life with death & taxes, 2 things are a certainty for X-Factor: Nicole Sherzinger could wear a bin bag and still be absolutely stunning and any individuality the contestants have will be knocked out of them within a week or two.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 737
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 7/10/2013 10:44:03 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Did you not find the tension ratcheted up with the musical chairs bit? I know I didn't.

I'm impressed you can remember some names, to me they all have the dripping blandness of Gary Barlow.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 738
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 7/10/2013 1:10:31 PM   
fuzzy

Ever get the feeling that Louis is itching for his token novelty act? They've seemed to not have them past boot camp in the last couple of years - so Louis does the next best thing... refuse to put through his contestants that could actually sing.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 739
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 7/10/2013 1:22:40 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I couldn't find 3 to put thru from Louis's group. His only hope is that one of his acts is repeatedly slated and therefore keeps getting the otes.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 740
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 7/10/2013 1:35:07 PM   
fuzzy

His failure to put through his best singer because he wasn't a 'pretty boy' summed the show up for me.

Post #: 741
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 7/10/2013 1:42:13 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Is this the bin man? (shows how closely I'm following it). I thought his weakest performance was at Judge's Houses, but he's had some pretty strong stuff otherwise.

X-Factor might as well give us a few acts who aren't pretty boys as they are only going to be able to work with 1 or 2 acts per year at best.

I'm not going to be knocked over by a feather if there is a "twist" and some acts come back.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 742
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 7/10/2013 2:57:09 PM   
rawlinson

As shit as it is this year, I think the worst thing has been the comeback of Sharon. I think pretty much all she's done is cackle and say fabulous. Before taking what was actually quite a versatile overs category for once and putting through the three screamers. I'm glad the guy who thinks having a son is a sob story didn't go through, but there were two interesting female singers and she ignored them for three Tesco Marys. I can't remember their names so for me they're just Prison Mary, Doc Martin Mary and 80s Whitney Wannabe Mary.

Post #: 743
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 7/10/2013 3:27:17 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I'm impressed you can remember some names, to me they all have the dripping blandness of Gary Barlow.

Until I googled them it was specky & Catholic ears.

Post #: 744
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 7/10/2013 3:30:44 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

His failure to put through his best singer because he wasn't a 'pretty boy' summed the show up for me.

The big lad with the crippling shyness? Agreed.

If I heard "two days ago I was cleaning rooms..." one more time I think the rage would have got me. The other one is "things like this don't happen to people like me". Well, they do. About this time very year.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 745
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 7/10/2013 3:33:36 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

The big lad with the crippling shyness? Agreed.

If I heard "two days ago I was cleaning rooms..." one more time I think the rage would have got me. The other one is "things like this don't happen to people like me". Well, they do. About this time very year.

The worst was "This is my last chance", usually said by an eighteen year old.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 746
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 12/10/2013 9:07:02 PM   
Professor Moriarty

2 songs into Stars in Thei.... sorry X-Factor. A show that talks about how it is looking for current & the next big thing acts. And then asks 16 year olds to sing songs 3 decades old in exactly the same way they were done then.

Brilliant one of the girls in the trio is pregnant and they are dumping them as fast as they can... bye girls.

4 songs in now and you wont hear a song sung like that on dry land often. Watch out for Sam on a cruise ship in 2015.

Call the police, someone just murdered Summer of '69.

Apparently Raglan Road or whoever they are remind Gary of himself. They remind me of you too Gary, they bore the shite out of me.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 12/10/2013 9:31:55 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 747
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 13/10/2013 12:39:56 AM   
Cruisecontroller

If Shelley goes home tomorrow maybe I can rent that lift it will save me going up lots of stairs with my crutches and leg braces and handy to use when changing light bulbs lol. I wish that Over 25's singer (Lorna?) would sing other artists songs and not just almost every time Whitney Houston. Yes she does a great Whitney Housyon singing impression but she needs to do someone else's song this isn't "Stars In Their Eye's" she's like her tribute act. She needs to be more original and do something different with someone else's songs. It's getting on my nerves and I'm surprised no one else has picked up on that. We've heard her sing what six times now and apart from one of the two performances at Judges Houses it's constantly been Whitney Houston songs.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 748
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 13/10/2013 4:03:16 PM   
fuzzy

Thought it was a fairly underwhelming start to the series, but I put that partly down to most of the acts doing 80s karaoke. Highlight for me though was Sharon dressed as Jim Carrey's Riddler in Batman Forever.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 749
RE: X-Factor 2011 - 14/10/2013 11:13:49 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

As shit as it is this year, I think the worst thing has been the comeback of Sharon.

She's quickly become the most annoying person on TV imo.

So, who will replace Gary next year? Will anyone notice he's gone? Big, big questions that deserve to be....

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: X-Factor 2012 Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI