Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Factor 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: X-Factor 2012 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 27/11/2012 6:03:05 PM   
rawlinson

Even in Abba week he sung Fernando.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 691
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 28/11/2012 12:29:01 PM   
blackduck

Sooo watched the results show last night, fist time I properly watched any X factor this year.

The opening song was feckin awful, one of the Union J fellas managed to hit a few of the notes but the song suited none of them.

I thought Rylan should have won the sing off, his song was surprisingly good and he brings more to the show that Union J.
Fact is Union J will only have a career if 1 Direction retire, winning would kill James career and the other two will be forgotton in a few months.

None of the acts left wouldf have had a shot at winning in previous years, they're all mid level acts at best.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 692
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 1/12/2012 8:19:06 PM   
Hood_Man

Watching tonight for the first time in months, I only vaguely know who any of them are

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 693
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 2/12/2012 8:55:11 PM   
theoriginalcynic

This song from Tulisa is terrible.

I'm still watching btw, although behind the ITV time. I expect Union J to go home.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 2/12/2012 8:57:30 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 694
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 2/12/2012 9:02:44 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Holy Maloney!!!

I thought Tulisa was miming. Its the first time I've heard her sing. I'll not be rushing back for the second. What's the urban roots Dubstep bollox she goes on about then does some insipid ballad

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 2/12/2012 9:03:42 PM >

Post #: 695
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 2/12/2012 9:14:47 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Not a fan of boy bands but Union J are so much better than One Direction. None of the final 3 have a personality... well Christopher does but he's annoying.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 2/12/2012 9:16:02 PM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 696
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 2/12/2012 9:28:08 PM   
steffols

It's laughable to me now. I'll watch the final next week out of curiousity more than anything else. Initially wanted James to win but for the past three weeks its struck me that hes after money more than crredible success so if he wants to win good luck to him.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 697
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 2/12/2012 9:56:15 PM   
Scruffybobby

So it's Cruise Ship Chris, The Angry Busker and The Other One in the final does anyone actually care who wins?

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 698
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 3/12/2012 11:21:36 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

So it's Cruise Ship Chris, The Angry Busker and The Other One in the final does anyone actually care who wins?

They seem to care, which is a bit odd. Union J looked happy last night, you could tell they had a recording contract lined up, so for them it was job done.

I've no vested interest in who wins. But I'd like to see Cruise Ship Chris take it. Not on the basis that he deserves it, or I want his nan to be happy. But because I completely and utterly fail to see how the show can pitch itself as relevant or as a platform to find the new recording artist who has the X Factor if he does. I'd find it interesting to see how they try to broach that. My feeling is that they'll shake up the judges and try to ignore it. But it will still be the most fun I can get out of the show. My tip would be that if they want to appeal to a younger demographic they really have to stop with the Abba, Queen, Disco and Swing nights.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 699
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 2:53:52 PM   
primebhoy

Theres a video clip doing the rounds of a mums reaction to christopher 'fucking' maloney going through on sunday night.

Youtube 'angry mum loses the plot at x factor'

Funniest thing ive seen for a while!

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

Post #: 700
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:03:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Fast forward 40 years and we have Chris Maloney headlining Royal anniversaries and Olympic events like McCartney (though these events all take place on a cruise ship) and we'll all have a tear in our eye and remember where we were when we bought our first Maloney album.

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 701
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:18:25 PM   
Russ Whitfield

quote:

I'm sat here genuinely trying to remember who The Other One is

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 702
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:20:04 PM   
blackduck

Is Chris just getting the protest vote or are there a lot of Daniel O Donnell fans tuned into X factor.

Personally I think he'll win, unless the busker fella is allowed do one of his own songs.

I am but an egg.

Post #: 703
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:20:10 PM   
theoriginalcynic

The only reason I wanna see Chris win is so Nicole doesn't. She is beyond annoying.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 704
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:27:30 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

quote:

I did that too

quote:

Is Chris just getting the protest vote or are there a lot of Daniel O Donnell fans tuned into X factor.

Personally I think he'll win, unless the busker fella is allowed do one of his own songs.

Its boggling isn't it? I'd love to see the voting data, I expect its much more interesting than the actual program. I think X Factor has gone a similar way to The Voice, which was also won by someone singing power ballads (though with a better voice and not so bloody annoying). The fact that he mentions his nan in every sentence indicates he's going for the "awww isn't he a nice boy, I'll vote for him" vote. Quite why they are voting still beggars belief. The fact that X Factor continues with some variation of Swing / Abba / Queen / any music that hasn't been relevant for a number of genarations vote indicates that this market share is important to them.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 705
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:31:06 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Next year they're gonna reveal the voting results week by week - like they do on US X-factor.

Post #: 706
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:36:19 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Its boggling isn't it? I'd love to see the voting data

They release the data after the show finishes every year. You can see last year's results here

http://xfactor.itv.com/2011/news/story/read_the-x-factor-voting-numbers-revealed_item_100293.htm

I haven't been watching it, but apparently the U.S. version has actually started doing the results each week in order, so everyone knows who is in danger.

quote:

I think X Factor has gone a similar way to The Voice, which was also won by someone singing power ballads (though with a better voice and not so bloody annoying)

It's often the way with the show though, isn't it? Leon Jackson won by trying to be a Scottish Michael Buble. Hilary Wank was very much a Christopher style singer, but a lot younger. Matt Cardle won singing emotional ballads week after week. I think the granny vote has always been fairly important, it is a Saturday night ITV talent show after all.

quote:

The fact that he mentions his nan in every sentence indicates he's going for the "awww isn't he a nice boy, I'll vote for him" vote.

Yep, constantly thanking the public every single week as well. He's basically begging for votes "The judges didn't like it, but I am the public choice and I hope they just keep voting for me, like."

quote:

The fact that X Factor continues with some variation of Swing / Abba / Queen / any music that hasn't been relevant for a number of genarations vote indicates that this market share is important to them.

Yep, because they know that it doesn't actually matter who wins. They can make a ton off the votes and then promote whoever they like. Think about some of the biggest success stories from the show - JLS, One Direction, Cher Lloyd, Rebecca Ferguson, Olly Murs - None of them won.

Post #: 707
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:39:59 PM   
blackduck

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

quote:

I did that too

quote:

Its boggling isn't it? I'd love to see the voting data, I expect its much more interesting than the actual program. I think X Factor has gone a similar way to The Voice, which was also won by someone singing power ballads (though with a better voice and not so bloody annoying). The fact that he mentions his nan in every sentence indicates he's going for the "awww isn't he a nice boy, I'll vote for him" vote. Quite why they are voting still beggars belief. The fact that X Factor continues with some variation of Swing / Abba / Queen / any music that hasn't been relevant for a number of genarations vote indicates that this market share is important to them.

Why busker fella isn't singing his own stuff is baffling me.
I know the the theory is you have to sing a cover to get the votes, but he was being touted as "different" then they spend the rest of the series knocking any orignality out of him, doing slightly lesser knowen versions of covers doesn't count as orignal.

Given how weak the competition is they could have taken a chance.

Overall this series has been a dissapointment, I like X factor, I want it to be good, but I've struggled to watch any of it this year.

< Message edited by blackduck -- 4/12/2012 4:15:18 PM >

I am but an egg.

Post #: 708
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:53:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Next year they're gonna reveal the voting results week by week - like they do on US X-factor.

My wife is so going to claim that as her idea

Post #: 709
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 4:12:09 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Its boggling isn't it? I'd love to see the voting data

They release the data after the show finishes every year. You can see last year's results here

http://xfactor.itv.com/2011/news/story/read_the-x-factor-voting-numbers-revealed_item_100293.htm

I've actually decided it will be very very boring I did click on the link but didn't find it, what I did find is a picture at the top of the page of people I'd absolutely forgotten, aka last year's finalists that I watched every week.

quote:

quote:

I think X Factor has gone a similar way to The Voice, which was also won by someone singing power ballads (though with a better voice and not so bloody annoying)

It's often the way with the show though, isn't it? Leon Jackson won by trying to be a Scottish Michael Buble. Hilary Wank was very much a Christopher style singer, but a lot younger. Matt Cardle won singing emotional ballads week after week. I think the granny vote has always been fairly important, it is a Saturday night ITV talent show after all.

Sorry, you are obviously right. I just meant sequentially the Voice was won by a "similar" style 6 months ago as we have now. As you say, given it is a Saturday evening ITV talent show when 90% of the target audience for something new and talented in the musical sphere will be out, it is not surprising. And is obviously borne out by your observations above.

quote:

quote:

The fact that he mentions his nan in every sentence indicates he's going for the "awww isn't he a nice boy, I'll vote for him" vote.

Yep, constantly thanking the public every single week as well. He's basically begging for votes "The judges didn't like it, but I am the public choice and I hope they just keep voting for me, like."

His desperation has become even more annoying than his singing. I also picked up on the above (I'm sure many did, I'm not claiming this as great insight from myself). It is only unfortunate that his Derren Brown ability to manipulate the public to vote for him outweighs his stage presence.

quote:

quote:

The fact that X Factor continues with some variation of Swing / Abba / Queen / any music that hasn't been relevant for a number of genarations vote indicates that this market share is important to them.

Yep, because they know that it doesn't actually matter who wins. They can make a ton off the votes and then promote whoever they like. Think about some of the biggest success stories from the show - JLS, One Direction, Cher Lloyd, Rebecca Ferguson, Olly Murs - None of them won.

Unfortunately that is true. I say unfortunately, not because I don't think that acts who win don't deserve a career, but there is no cache in winning and once you are down to the last 5 acts you know that each is going to get a shot at a career, so no real inclination for me to watch.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 710
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 4/12/2012 6:43:00 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Fast forward 40 years and we have Chris Maloney headlining Royal anniversaries and Olympic events like McCartney (though these events all take place on a cruise ship) and we'll all have a tear in our eye and remember where we were when we bought our first Maloney album.

Poundland?

Post #: 711
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 5/12/2012 4:43:37 PM   
rawlinson

I know this Digital Spy article mentions The Sun as the source, and they don't have a great record when it comes to Liverpool, but this did make me laugh

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/s103/the-x-factor/news/a443016/x-factor-chris-maloney-homecoming-attended-by-army-of-pensioners.html

quote:

Christopher Maloney performed in Liverpool last night for his X Factor homecoming gig.

The talent show finalist appeared at the Liverpool Empire yesterday (December 4) with mentor Gary Barlow in front of 1,500 fans.

Insiders have claimed that the majority of fans in attendance were pensioners, including Maloney's 76-year-old gran Pat O'Brien.

Fans were asked to provide their age when applying for free tickets, with the average age said to be 82,

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 5/12/2012 4:44:15 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 712
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 5/12/2012 5:16:04 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm doing a creative writing course. I had to do an exercise this week on a confrontation with someone I didn't like.

Despite never meeting the man and therefore never knowing if we could ever have a pint together I chose Barlow as no figure I am aware of can bring out of me such uncontestable loathing.

I realise this has little to do with grannies voting for Cruise Ship Chris, but I saw the name Barlow and it sent me off on one already I mean how can he bleat on about this being a vocal talent competition and good acts are going home at the expense of joke singers and stand behind Chris? And did you see that fekking Commonwealth bollox song whateverthefuck that was for the Queen's Birthday. I have to stop now before I blow a fuse.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 713
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 5/12/2012 5:43:29 PM   
rawlinson

I missed the Queen's birthday. Fuck her, she never gets me anything.

Barlow and Phony Maloney, I think he knows how bad it makes him look and he's actually seeming to distance himself from it over the last few weeks. There was that one week when he told James that he wanted him to win. I know he said forgetting about his own category, but judges never say that. They always say "I want you to be in the final", not "I want you to win.", he's been making a big deal about how the public chose Chris (which I think is as close to "I didn't even pick him in my final 3, don't blame me!" as he can) and then about a week ago on Xtra Factor, someone asked Tulisa if she thought Gary would support Chris if he wasn't in his category. She said no and Barlow said something like "We're given these categories and we have to stand by them." Then he said again about the public answering the question for him. I genuinely believe if Louis had Chris then Gary would be ripping shreds off him every week.

But beyond that, yeah, he's an annoying git.

Post #: 714
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 5/12/2012 5:56:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Barlow said something like "We're given these categories and we have to stand by them."

You just made me do say that in a Barlow voice in my head. He's in my head. And you might well be right but as you say he's Barliw, he's fucking annoying, I'm expected to think the worst.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 715
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 5/12/2012 7:30:43 PM   
Rinc

Cowell once voted against his own act and wasn't afraid of having a go at them (if I remember correctly). Barlow can and should do the same.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 716
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 9/12/2012 10:26:02 PM   
Scruffybobby

So Angry Busker it is then. Dropped by Easter guaranteed. What an utter pile of wank (even by its own standards) the show has been this year.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 717
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 9:19:10 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I think he's better than that. He carries a lot of soul and feeling in his voice, if they steer the right songs to him I think he could do all right. Couldn't understand the bed-sit thing. It seemed perfectly clean and habitable and its not like he's a wife and a scatter of kids, so the 'save poor Jimmy from this life of destitution' seemed a bit rich.

I've already forgotten Jahmene existed.

And I can't help but think that Cruise Ship Chris would have walked it if they hadn't made him unvotable for making him duet with Barlow.

Post #: 718
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 9:53:25 AM   
HIM

Well, well, well. For the first seven weeks Christopher Baloney topped the votes. Interesting. Also, in the week of the James/Ella face-off, James actually came bottom, so if the judges hadn't have saved him he would have been gone. He's now the first winner to be in the sing off too.

I actually really like James. I couldn't stand him at first with his ginger hair, goofy glasses and weird teeth but he slowly won me over and I think he can go on to be a genuinely credible act. He sings with so much passion. I just hope that he isn't messed with like Matt Cardle and is allowed to become his own singer/songwriter.

The show has missed something this year though. I've watched it right through, as I always do, but that was more out of habit than anything else. I think next year Simon and Cheryl have to come back and get rid of Gary and Tulisa. I'd definitely keep Nicole as I thought she was a genuinely great mentor. She was also an honest and charismatic judge too. I'm not sure about Louie though. You do need someone to be the foil. Maybe swap him for Sharon Osbourne.

Post #: 719
RE: X-Factor 2012 - 10/12/2012 10:58:51 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

The show has missed something this year though. I've watched it right through, as I always do, but that was more out of habit than anything else. I think next year Simon and Cheryl have to come back and get rid of Gary and Tulisa. I'd definitely keep Nicole as I thought she was a genuinely great mentor. She was also an honest and charismatic judge too. I'm not sure about Louie though. You do need someone to be the foil. Maybe swap him for Sharon Osbourne.

IMO the problems the show has are:

- Too many adverts. Clearly X Factor is an ITV cash cow and they want to / need to milk it. But, there is a changing viewer habit and it is far too easy for me to record the 2 hour show and watch it back in less than an hour. This damages viewing numbers. My suggestion would be to reward viewers for watching the show live. Given an initial 10 minute window following each acts signing and the lowest vote is added to the Sunday sing-off. Announce this before the end of the show.

- Cede that the overs category is dead and either ditch it or shake it up again. Ideas could be to lower the age threshold again to 25. Or to revamp it with a 2nd chance group, where they can be more honest about acts who have previously had a recording contract, or were on the X Factor some time ago.

- Revamp the judges. Bye bye Tulisa and Barlow. Somehow Cowell can play the pantomime villain, but still be likable. Gary, just comes over as a prick. He also seems really bad at getting his acts to progress through the show. While I dislike Gary, Tulisa is just the most boring mediocre vacuum on TV. I didn't really get much of a sense of competition between the mentors this year, or that they were really invested in their acts. Maybe that's an indictment of the acts, but I want to see some sense of competition.

- Become modern. I can see why the show wants to angle for the across the board viewing figures. But it cant talk about acts being relevant and for today's market and then stick them with doing covers of 70s and 80s numbers. I'm not saying that can't have acts covering them, and they should ditch Louis as their figurehead for the grey pound, but as they make no big deal of a Queen or anything week why run with these at all?

- Make the voting transparent. Its been covered above that this is happening in the US, so it may well be on its way here. But the controversy that X Factor likes is a two-way street where its perceived as a fix. Ironically, these seem to most often come when the public vote is used as the decider.

- Winning the X Factor means something. Pretty much every act of any value coming into the last 5 or 6 will get a contract. So why should I as a viewer (much less as a paying voter) invest anything in caring who wins. Somehow they have to make the prize something worth winning that acts wont get anyway.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: X-Factor 2012 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI