Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Scott Directing New Blade Runner Entry!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Scott Directing New Blade Runner Entry! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scott Directing New Blade Runner Entry! - 18/8/2011 5:04:56 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: About time! - 18/8/2011 5:07:28 PM   
JIm R

Holy mother of all that is good, beyond happy !!!!

Bring. It. On
Post #: 2
RE: I doubt Ford will be involved... - 18/8/2011 5:13:19 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I don't think they should bring Ford back.. Just saying.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***
Post #: 3
RE: "Blade Runner" will NEVER be surpassed! - 18/8/2011 5:37:10 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: kielerkai

It's simply a perfect movie. Period. I do have to admit, though, that this news makes me really curious. It would be cool if they would film the book sequels by K.W. Jeter. They were pretty great and played wonderfully with a famous BR plot holes (ie the number of replicants).
That it's possible to make something really awesome based on the source material was demonstrated by BLADE RUNNER (the pc game) back in 1997.

Er, no.

I've only read the plot descriptions and they are beyond stupid.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.
Post #: 4
RE: "Blade Runner" will NEVER be surpassed! - 18/8/2011 5:57:19 PM   
Spaldron

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt??????????????????????

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5
Scott Directing New Blade Runner Entry! - 18/8/2011 6:00:11 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Aww man... Not sure if this is a good idea. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've found myself becoming a bigger fan of BLADE RUNNER everytime I watch it. Just ordered DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?

No. No sequel necessary.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 6
RE: Scott Directing New Blade Runner Entry! - 18/8/2011 6:03:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

I wouldn't want a direct sequel about the characters from the first film - but I would not be against another movie set in that universe - the 1990s videogame showed that it could be done, and done well. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 7
RE: Scott Directing New Blade Runner Entry! - 18/8/2011 6:10:21 PM   
hatebox

Blade Runner is my favourite film, so I have mixed feeling about this.

Don't make it about Deckard and keep fake looking CGI to a minimum and I'm on board.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
RE: - 18/8/2011 6:24:28 PM   
horribleives

I'm all for Scott revisiting his masterpieces. Hopefully if this and Prometheus turn out well we might get GI Jane 2.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 18/8/2011 6:41:10 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I'm all for Scott revisiting his masterpieces. Hopefully if this and Prometheus turn out well we might get GI Jane 2.

LEGEND 2: THE RETURN OF DARKNESS!!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 10
RE: never going to happen. - 18/8/2011 7:50:13 PM   
Scruffybobby

Well I'm certainly intrigued to see what this will be all about. Could be brilliant or bollocks. We can be pretty sure it's gonna be in 3D though going by Sir Rid's recent comments

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
Post #: 11
RE: never going to happen. - 18/8/2011 8:00:51 PM   
UTB

Hey yeah great idea, what about Shia LaBoeuf for Deckard's son?

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 12
RE: never going to happen. - 18/8/2011 8:03:08 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Someone needs to stage an intervention for Ridley Scott - this is a dreadful idea.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 13
RE: never going to happen. - 18/8/2011 8:06:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Someone needs to stage an intervention for Ridley Scott - this is a dreadful idea.

How so?

At worst we will get something like The Two Jakes - which is subsequently forgotton about.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 14
RE: Please god no.. - 18/8/2011 8:21:30 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Someone needs to tell Lucas to pack it in.Seriously.Star Wars is a classic that should be left well alone.

Fixed it for you.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 15
RE: never going to happen. - 18/8/2011 8:22:54 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

What about Shia LaBoeuf for Deckard's son?

I bet Tech Noir would love that idea.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 16
RE: Please god no.. - 18/8/2011 8:24:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Someone needs to tell Ridley to pack it in.Seriously.Blade Runner is a classic that should be left well alone.

He isn't touching Blade Runner. He is making another story in that universe.

Thing is - you can input film noir plotlines into this setting - it doesn't need to be the same film, and I doubt it will be.

Post #: 17
RE: Please god no.. - 18/8/2011 8:25:17 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Someone needs to tell Ridley to pack it in.Seriously.Blade Runner is a classic that should be left well alone.

He is leaving it alone though - he's (possibly) making a brand new film that may be a sequel or may just exist in the same universe. Why should it alter anyone's opinion of the original?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 18
RE: Please god no.. - 18/8/2011 8:29:53 PM   
MonsterCat

Even if Ridley was making a direct sequel how would it make the original film any less good?

I will never understand this A SEQUEL/REMAKE WILL RUIN THE ORIGINAL HOW COULD THEY DO THIS crap.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 19
RE: Please god no.. - 18/8/2011 8:34:34 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Someone needs to tell Lucas to pack it in.Seriously.Star Wars is a classic that should be left well alone.

Fixed it for you.

HA! HA! HA! YOURE HILARIOUS!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 20
RE: Little People Never Win - 18/8/2011 8:34:53 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: mcobrien

Okay, these points are well taken to be sure. The odds are always against any sequel living up to the original. So much more so with a cult-masterpiece like BR. But every once in a while we get a Godfather 2. Okay, every LONG once in a while. (I'd settle for a Chronicles Of Riddick here) The thing is, if you're a BR fan, you know you're going to see it, so why not give old Rid and maybe Ford and possibly Rutger a shot? That, and seeing Shawn Young again as Rachael is just too enticing a thing to ignore. And remember, Deck is still "little people" Yea, you're thinking about it, oh yea you are! BRING IT ON!! Note: I like movies.

Quite right. I can't understand how anyone who loves the original isn't, if not excited, at least suitably intrigued by the idea.

Post #: 21
RE: Little People Never Win - 18/8/2011 9:15:48 PM   
boristhespie

Because too much time has passed. Ford is arthritic and it simply wont be blade runner if he aint the centre of it with sean. Setting it in same world does not a blade runner film make. Just as the new alien prequrl not make an alien film. Hat sound totally convoluted in its pish

Badges, We don' need no stinking badgees.

Post #: 22
RE: Little People Never Win - 18/8/2011 11:50:09 PM   
Samurai_Zoso

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: mcobrien

Okay, these points are well taken to be sure. The odds are always against any sequel living up to the original. So much more so with a cult-masterpiece like BR. But every once in a while we get a Godfather 2. Okay, every LONG once in a while. (I'd settle for a Chronicles Of Riddick here) The thing is, if you're a BR fan, you know you're going to see it, so why not give old Rid and maybe Ford and possibly Rutger a shot? That, and seeing Shawn Young again as Rachael is just too enticing a thing to ignore. And remember, Deck is still "little people" Yea, you're thinking about it, oh yea you are! BRING IT ON!! Note: I like movies.

Quite right. I can't understand how anyone who loves the original isn't, if not excited, at least suitably intrigued by the idea.

Let me help you there. Because the chances of  messing it up are astronomical high. By the way, the first movie was made nearly 30 years ago. That gap between the original and the (supposed) sequel/prequel is actually more reminiscent of Godfather 2 --> Godfather 3. And we all know how that turned out.
Another reason may be that Scott hasn't made a masterpiece or even really good film since arguably Thelma & Louise back in 1991. Sure, he makes visually stunning movies, sometimes popular and trend-setting ones (Gladiator), but none nowhere near the masterpieces he was able of conceiving during that short but very prolific time span at the end of the 70s/early 80s. This is aggravated by the fact that Scott not always seems to be aware what made Blade Runner such a fanatstic, thematically stimulating, subtext rich viewing experience in the first place. I have not doubt that he'll be able to nail the visual part of the planned new instalment, but since it's highly doubtful he can achieve the same revolutionary step forward the original presented in terms of movie design and language, this just won't be enough. And he'll be forced to tackle the different topics the original movie adressed or at least touched upon without being repetitive. In fact the movie has to pursue these themes, probably introduce new ones, present new angles, while balancing all the other aspects of a movie of such scope. And honestly I just can't see how Ridley could accomplish such a thing even if he were at the top of his game, let alone in his current state of creative decline. I can't see him (or any other director for that matter) pull that one off.

And let's not forget, the budget for such a project nowadays will be quite high, very likely forcing Scott to make certain concessions in the process, for instance increasing the pacing, throwing in more action sequences, making the protagonist (whoever that will be) more of a generic action hero, and generally upping the ante. After all, the viewing habits drastically changed since Blade Runner was released, and this time the chances of it becoming a sleeper hit, a cultural phenomenon and being recogniced as the masterpiece it clearly is in retrospect are more than doubtful, if not downright impossible.

One might argue that a sequel/prequel doesn't have to be in the same league as the 1982 film, doesn't have to be as influential, that it just has to entertain the audience - but then, where is the sense in making that particular movie in the first place if you won't try to craft a similar groundbreaking work? The question is, do they (Scott and whoever gets the job to tackle the screenplay) really have a story worth telling? Can they bring something new and exciting to the table that justifies the effort? Again, call me a pessimist, but I highly doubt it.

Oh, and one thing I definitively, really, absolutely don't want them to do is screw up the ending of original movie (the one where they step in the elevator, the doors close and the credits roll, that is ) and present me the ongoing story of Deckard and Rachel - and yes, that implies no place for neither Harrison Ford nor Sean Young (or younger lookalike actors in the case of a prequel). That would be the worst case scenario for me. If you have to make that goddamn movie, please leave the original protagonists alone and don't destroy their character arcs. You know, sometimes it's best not to know, to leave things to the imagination and personal interpretation.

< Message edited by Samurai_Zoso -- 19/8/2011 12:03:20 AM >

Post #: 23
RE: Please god no.. - 19/8/2011 12:13:45 AM   
Achtung Englander

I very much doubt Harrison Ford will be interested in making a sequel to a character he publicly has slagged off and to a director who he never saw eye to eye with....

Ridley Scott also will be probably be interested in treading new ground as opposed to revisiting something he has already done - hence his new film will not be a direct prequel to Alien

Have faith - it could be fantastic. Even if its shite - The Godfather Part III and the Star Wars prequels remember never happened......it was just a dream ala Dallas shower scene.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 24
RE: Please god no.. - 19/8/2011 7:45:22 AM   
Drew_231

Good post Samurai_zoso

As had ben said, I dont see there being a place for Ford in this is any way. It makes sense story wise to have his character in it (as he would have to be 30 years older thereby removing the whole replicant question), and I dont think he would actually want anything to do with the movie anyway

Like the idea of Tom Hardy as a lead actually. Michael Fassbender could be a good as well (seeing as he's already working with Scott on P'). I just hope he doesnt do what he did with Kingdom of Heaven and cast whoever the 'hearthrob of the month' is. 

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 25
RE: The Dweeb Who Kicked The Hornets Nest - 19/8/2011 9:26:47 AM   
Wild about Wilder

The trouble is with todays movie going generation are they going to have the patience & understanding to go along with the story as lets face it great as it is if the original were released now would it be regarded as highly probably but with the younger cinema goers who are more intent on messaging each other they'd probably find it boring what with there being "NO EXPLOSIONS & STUFF!" on the whole think i'd rather remember it as the classic that it is .
Post #: 26
RE: The Dweeb Who Kicked The Hornets Nest - 19/8/2011 9:46:33 AM   
JIm R

The way forward is too have a film where Deckard obviously establishes he is a replicant over the course of the film and the task he is given is to take out the final replicant, he ca't find him because it's him, thus he must illimintae himself , like a futuristic version of Angel Heart.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 27
RE: The Dweeb Who Kicked The Hornets Nest - 19/8/2011 10:29:16 AM   
szoni

it's very luring, however has its dangers. The success at the box office is almost guaranteed, I mean it already has its promotion and those who love Blade Runner likely would visit cinemas, even if they have their concerns.

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 28
RE: Please god no.. - 19/8/2011 10:33:30 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Achtung Englander

I very much doubt Harrison Ford will be interested in making a sequel to a character he publicly has slagged off and to a director who he never saw eye to eye with....

Ridley Scott also will be probably be interested in treading new ground as opposed to revisiting something he has already done - hence his new film will not be a direct prequel to Alien

Have faith - it could be fantastic. Even if its shite - The Godfather Part III and the Star Wars prequels remember never happened......it was just a dream ala Dallas shower scene.

Agreed - even on the DVD documentary Ford comes across as having had a totally miserable experience making BR, particularly butting heads with Ridley Scott and compensating for Sean Young's inexperience. The most positive thing I've ever heard Ford say is that he was "proud" of his work on the film, but it was qualified in some way so as not be that enthusiastic (can't remember the exact quote, but it was in the big Empire BR feature from a few years ago, and was therefore probably lifted from the Paul Sammon book). It should be remembered though that Ford tends to be dismissive of pretty much everything he's done except Indiana Jones, but even if there was a place for him, I really can't see him ever wanting to be Deckard again.

As for Ridley Scott, his problem - as he presumably sees himself as an 'auteur' - is a total inability to maintain any sort of harmonious atmosphere with producers, actors and studio executives. His single-minded approach frequently produces great results, but at great human cost in terms of personal relationships.

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 29
RE: - 19/8/2011 5:36:57 PM   
Samurai_Zoso

By the way, isn't it strange that Scott suddenly seems so eager to revisit his most critically acclaimed films? Even with the Alien project turning out to be something not quite related to the original franchise (which in my book encompasses only the first two movies anyway) as everyone was made to believe, it started as a prequel, remember?

< Message edited by Samurai_Zoso -- 19/8/2011 5:38:04 PM >
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Scott Directing New Blade Runner Entry! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI