Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Inbetweeners Movie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Inbetweeners Movie Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Inbetweeners Movie - 17/8/2011 5:35:48 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 17/8/2011 6:30:19 PM   
fightclubber954

great movie, dont expect more than what you would expect of the tv show and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
unsurprising - 17/8/2011 6:39:05 PM   
Bourtney

One good laugh in a mess of 2 dimensional characters, cliche's and bad acting. I really liked the first and second series, had some laughs with the third despite thinking a lot of it was too forced so i hoped that maybe it would be back to the old glory days but my fears concerns were confirmed. The curse of the british sitcom being transferred to the big screen badly strikes again. Watch Easy A if you want to see a funny, good teen comedy.

< Message edited by Bourtney -- 17/8/2011 6:41:13 PM >

Post #: 3
Knee Deep In ...! - 18/8/2011 12:35:12 AM   
vipey

True to the spirit of the tv series - this is effectively what the Inbetweeners did next in the form of a tv film. It doesn't quite hit the heights of the best tv episodes - but the characters are so likeable and have built up such a large reserve of good will that it is hugely enjoyable. And yes, there are some laugh out loud moments - and when you aren't laughing you will be smiling and lamenting the end of a great great series.

Post #: 4
RE: Knee Deep In ...! - 18/8/2011 1:26:20 AM   
Joedini

I loved it to be honest. Without giving anyway the final sequence with Simon was painfully funny!

(in reply to vipey)
Post #: 5
RE: Knee Deep In ...! - 18/8/2011 9:57:01 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I really enjoyed it & have grown to love these characters over the past few years (YES SADLY EVEN JAY?) thought it was a fitting way to send them off 1 complaint W.T.F HAPPENED TO THE TATTOO SCENE FROM THE TRAILER!

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 6
RE: The Inbetweeners Movie - 18/8/2011 1:23:51 PM   
Super Hans

Interesting that Total Film were far less positive about it....  I'm a big fan of the first two series, liked the third but I could see that it was stretching a bit thin.  Might be a LoveFilm job for me!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 7
RE: The Inbetweeners Movie - 18/8/2011 3:00:52 PM   
jace007

quote:

I'm a big fan of the first two series, liked the third but I could see that it was stretching a bit thin

I have to disagree, the third series was just as good as 1&2. After all, if we didn't have that, we'd have missed out on Simon's bollock display at Rudge Park's fashion show and Jay's definitive meaning on what separates Wii users from their counterparts :-)

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 8
RE: The Inbetweeners Movie - 18/8/2011 3:20:16 PM   
superdan

I thought the third series of Inbetweeners was decidedly poor in comparison to the first two (it was clear that 1 & 2 were broadly based on the writers own experiences, whereas in 3 they had to actually come up with 'original' stuff and it got stupid), but the film is actually pretty good. It'll date quickly of course, but as an entertaining our and a half you'll struggle to do better this weekend. Word of warning though: if you didn't enjoy the series it's unlikely this'll change your mind - it's very much more of the same, even if more time is allowed for actual character development.

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 9
RE: The Inbetweeners Movie - 18/8/2011 9:17:44 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: jace007

quote:

I'm a big fan of the first two series, liked the third but I could see that it was stretching a bit thin

I have to disagree, the third series was just as good as 1&2. After all, if we didn't have that, we'd have missed out on Simon's bollock display at Rudge Park's fashion show and Jay's definitive meaning on what separates Wii users from their counterparts :-)

I can't remember the Wii thing, but I'll give you the bollock display! .  Don't get me wrong, it was still very funny in places, certainly much funnier tha most stuff on the box.  It's just that I thought some of the key jokes were being stretched to their limits (Jay's lies were a getting a bit too outlandish, for example).  As far as the show goes, I really do hope they leave it at that.  It's like Peep Show - two flawless series but after that, not as good.  Still hilarious in many parts but compared to what preceded them...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 10
2nd review ??? - 18/8/2011 9:23:14 PM   
mike87

I looked for a review of this film a couple of days ago and found a 1 star tirade from chris hewitt. Why the change of heart empire?

Post #: 11
RE: 2nd review ??? - 18/8/2011 10:04:51 PM   
Davechoc

I think that'll be for a different, though confusingly similarly-titled, film. It seems to have vanished from Empire's site though a quick Google and it's the second one down here: http://www.movie-film-review.com/devfilm.asp?id=13105

(in reply to mike87)
Post #: 12
Yeah, why the change of heart. - 19/8/2011 2:19:48 PM   
evildave69

I went in search of a review of this a few days ago and it was a 1 star piece of crap. What happened? I'm so confused right now!

Post #: 13
RE: Yeah, why the change of heart. - 20/8/2011 9:59:24 PM   
anakin solo

I really enjoyed the inbetweeners ever since i watched series from start to finish and i enjoyed the movie even more, and it was just as gross as vile as the series despite being an fifteen at the cinema and the series an eighteen i think. The first time i tried to go and see it at my local empire all of the showings were full and when i went to see it the next day and the screen was packed and every one was properly laughing out loud. So i loved watching it and found it to be a great ending to the series.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to evildave69)
Post #: 14
RE: Yeah, why the change of heart. - 20/8/2011 10:08:22 PM   
MonsterCat

Saw this today and quite enjoyed it. It did feel a bit stretched out at times and could have done with some fat trimmed off, but it does have some genuinely funny scenes and some surprisingly touching moments.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 20/8/2011 10:19:00 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 15
RE: Yeah, why the change of heart. - 21/8/2011 12:35:08 AM   
Hex

Saw it yesterday and it was good.

I definitely wouldnt advise going in expecting some life changing film. It had some good laughs (the dancing near the beginning of the trip is the best) and I think it was in keeping with what has gone before. Not as good as the series but still ok.

I dont think it tied up the overall story line of the boys at all though.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 16
RE: Yeah, why the change of heart. - 21/8/2011 9:17:05 AM   
anakin solo

I think it did, I can't put what because i don't want to give anything away.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 17
Just awful - 21/8/2011 5:52:32 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Quite possibly one of the most pointless films ever made. Pretty much un-original, un-funny and ridiculously boring. They should have just made this a straight to DVD outing. All I have to say is thank god they won't make any more!

Post #: 18
RE: Just awful - 21/8/2011 9:11:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

I thought it was pretty great. Some sharp humour (the dance scene alone!) mixed in with some gross out comedy and some genuine moments of pathos.

No, there is nothing here to shock you, but the film run time allows the characters the breathe more.

Well done to all involved.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to J_BUltimatum)
Post #: 19
if you like the show... - 21/8/2011 9:19:39 PM   
tysmuse

then you'll love this!

Post #: 20
RE: Just awful - 22/8/2011 10:59:41 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I thought it was pretty great. Some sharp humour (the dance scene alone!) mixed in with some gross out comedy and some genuine moments of pathos.

That was hilarious! Other lol moment for me were (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

Jay and the ants
The nightclub with the 'stripper'
The poolside with the irritating kid
"I've got to 'ave a lie down, my head's more fucked than Neil's dad's arsehole".

Quality.

< Message edited by superdan -- 22/8/2011 11:00:09 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 21
RE: Just awful - 22/8/2011 11:33:54 AM   
Rgirvan44

"Does she actully need another seat?"

So awkward.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 22
RE: The Inbetweeners Movie - 22/8/2011 3:27:50 PM   
losthighway

Whilst i'll admit to never having any desire to be knee-deep in clunge, i did rather enjoy this send off to one of my fave TV shows of the past few years. After reading some more than mediocre reviews about its quality and those BBFC cuts i didn't have high hopes but thankfully it all came together in the end. The start of film is slightly off tone tbh - it appears to be following SATC: The Movie template, i.e. introducing all the characters and their situations for those who have never watched the TV show, and if totally honest it initially feels like the characters have had personality transplants from their TV personas, however once they get abroad it's business as usual.

I'll state right now, those cuts to gain that '15' cert and the fact 'clunge' is only used once are not setbacks for the film. I thought they would kill it dead but the film is actually less about the smut factor (as compared with the show which balanced teen traumas with smut much better) and more about these four lads growing up and moving on. So, whilst we do get some choice moments of them 'living it large', the underlying theme is their inevitable seperation when they go off to university/the world of work. In fact, their maturing ultimately means some of them start to clash with each other more than usual and the fact the film is set a year after the end of series 3 means the lads are also in a different place ladies-wise (well apart from Simon, although watch that space! ). Oh and I was also pleasantly surprised to see an abundance of cock and ass on show too - including one of the main cast going full-frontal!

Despite a shaky start and my initial cyncism regarding that '15' cert, I actually really liked this film and the ending was a fitting (and i might add realistic) end to the show. If you've been a fan of the TV show over the years, then going to see this on the big screen should quite honestly be a no-brainer.

Overall: 4/5

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 23
Hmm - 22/8/2011 5:34:12 PM   
MoJo16

never seen the series but went with friends who are fans. after the movie though, i don't think i could watch the series. not my humour but an hour and a half could do me fine for a refreshing side of humour. definitely one for the british teenagers

Post #: 24
RE: Hmm - 22/8/2011 6:58:16 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Cracking film - the only part I disliked was when Simon was selling his clothes. How naive can you get - as if he was going to give you the 100E "later".

One of my favourite lines... 'do you mean as a girlfriend, or a prostitute'.

Great send off to a cracking show.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to MoJo16)
Post #: 25
RE: Hmm - 22/8/2011 7:31:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I've just got back from seeing this and loved it. I did think that I would not be able to stop crying with laughter at the dance scene at the beginning, bloody hilarious.

Great end for them all

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 26
RE: Hmm - 22/8/2011 8:34:53 PM   
spamandham

Not exactly frothing at the gash to go and see this,

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 27
Laugh-free, dull, repetitive... - 22/8/2011 11:02:13 PM   
ThoseSwellNachos

...are just some of the words I can use to describe this awful exercise in laddish and vulgar situation comedy. If there ever was a perfect demonstration in the disaster of transferring television series to film, look no further than The Inbetweeners Movie. Whereas toilet humour and profanities can be incredibly effectively in a comedy, this movie manages to do the complete opposite; disgusting at first, yet gradually just becomes incredibly boring and repetitive. There are occasional flickers of amusement at the teenage comradery between the boys, it relies heavily on their pre-created characters in the TV show, and instead of being explored further these personas are left to divulge in tired, unoriginal break-ups and reunions. The relationships with the so-called "clunge" is unconvincing and as far as character development is concerned, this only emerges in the form of Jay coming to terms with having a relationship with an overweight person. In conclusion, The Inbetweeners Movie is tedious, unoriginal and frankly the creators should be ashamed for their assessment of their's audience intelligence. Avoid at all costs.

Post #: 28
RE: Laugh-free, dull, repetitive... - 23/8/2011 12:53:24 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThoseSwellNachos

...are just some of the words I can use to describe this awful exercise in laddish and vulgar situation comedy. If there ever was a perfect demonstration in the disaster of transferring television series to film, look no further than The Inbetweeners Movie. Whereas toilet humour and profanities can be incredibly effectively in a comedy, this movie manages to do the complete opposite; disgusting at first, yet gradually just becomes incredibly boring and repetitive. There are occasional flickers of amusement at the teenage comradery between the boys, it relies heavily on their pre-created characters in the TV show, and instead of being explored further these personas are left to divulge in tired, unoriginal break-ups and reunions. The relationships with the so-called "clunge" is unconvincing and as far as character development is concerned, this only emerges in the form of Jay coming to terms with having a relationship with an overweight person. In conclusion, The Inbetweeners Movie is tedious, unoriginal and frankly the creators should be ashamed for their assessment of their's audience intelligence. Avoid at all costs.

we only see the trailer then??

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to ThoseSwellNachos)
Post #: 29
RE: Laugh-free, dull, repetitive... - 23/8/2011 9:42:11 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThoseSwellNachos

I think you've taken a not-very-serious-comedy very seriously.

I thought it was highly enjoyable, it had moments to remember much like the television series and keeps you thoroughly entertained. There were some genuinely touching moments as well and the box office reaction says it all.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to ThoseSwellNachos)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Inbetweeners Movie Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI