Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Movie Con V

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Movie Con V Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Movie Con V - 21/8/2011 12:08:51 PM   
vaxes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Thorne

If anyone has that Kim Newman DVD you can get 20p for it at www.cex.co.uk

I some how ended up with about 5 or 6 copies of this including some from last years Movie Con...

They looked at me a bit strange when I took them in as they thought I had took them in the riots REALLY......

You can get 33p on music magpie :)

< Message edited by vaxes -- 21/8/2011 12:09:20 PM >

(in reply to Andrew Thorne)
Post #: 91
RE: Movie Con V - 21/8/2011 8:35:02 PM   
Big_Pants

quote:

ORIGINAL: LadyFrampton

I heard that it's Lanson Champagne who will be sponsoring...yum yum yum, although I saw no whiskey this year, I can assume it didn't make it out of the green room.

Oooh interesting!  Thanks for that, it's an irrational fear of mine that Empire will give up on Big Screen. 

Oh and there was definitely whiskey!  The wonderful team at Jamesons were upstairs in the Cineworld. I got some delicious Jamesons and ginger before Fright Night, gratis :)

(in reply to LadyFrampton)
Post #: 92
RE: Movie Con V - 22/8/2011 6:31:01 PM   
Daft Ada

Hello,

I had intended to write a mini review of Big Screen but I am a little late to the party; we all found the same things difficult so much of what I wanted to write about has been said by others. I thought it would be more useful if I made a few suggestions for MC5 / BS2.

Ticketing, Scheduling and Queing

This was bonkers. Aside from the problems with See Tickets (website crashing, not sending out tickets, issuing tickets to minors for 18 rated films etc) the system was far too complex. It should be much flatter next time with fewer options, with the possible exception of paying a little extra to login in early and get your 1st choice of seat for the Diamond panels. The session selection was also largely guesswork as most of the sessions were "TBC" at the time of booking, and there was very little information available about the sessions which were known.

I suggest the following:

Three ticket versions which include an increasing number of additional sessions which can be used at any time during the event. eg. Bronze / Silver / Gold packages.

Super shiny option which allows you first choice of seating ahead of the main crowd. This must be very restriced and should be offered to previous attendees first.

Allocation of sessions is automatic, with the option to change once advance ticket sales have closed. This is achieved by selecting a "pathway" when you buy your main pass.

eg. If you select the "I want to see new films" pathway then you are automatically allocated the maximum number of screenings. If you select the "I want to meet stars" pathway then you are allocated sessions with cast in attendance etc. Automatic allocation would reduce the number of clashing sessions and hopefully help with scheduling.

Automated kiosks should be provided so that people can customise their schedules, these could be similar to the automated check in systems used at airports. People are assigned to seats on flights (sessions), and then a boarding card (ticket) is printed. A single ticket could be generated for each day showing all sessions, and this could be worn on a lanyard for checking by staff. Each printed ticket contains a barcode which is invalidated when the ticket is reprinted, and this can be scanned if there are any seating disputes.

The schedules between the screens should not overlap and there should be more time to move between sessions. The schedule was wildly optomistic and there were no fixed changeover times, making it almost impossible to create a schedule which did not clash. I had to give away two of my session tickets as it was simply impossible to use them.

The easiest way of resolving the queuing fiasco would be to change to allocated seating for all events, so there would be little advantage to arriving early or loitering in Cineworld between sessions.

Price vs Content

I had a 3 day diamond ticket and was seated in Indigo. Aside from the TV content (and the naked fighting) which I think should be a dedicated session, I was pretty happy with the mixture of content across the three days. Personally I would like to see a little more indie or short film content and maybe a few less blockbusters, especially action films, but I suspect this may be dictated by the studios and distributors. I had not paid for any of the sugar frosting or chocolate sprinkle options so my ticket was not as expensive as some; on reflection it was just about worth what I paid. I didn't feed ripped off, but I don't think I got a bargain either. Those who paid for the extra options would be justified in feeling they were overcharged. Maybe a move to better quality and less quantity for future shows whould help, with a little less padding or showing of trailers which can also be seen before the screenings.

Staff

Asking the Storm Troopers to do the security was a master stroke.

The Cineworld staff were excellent and had as much trouble with See Tickets as we did. The O2 staff were a mixed bag, and the guards at Indgo were getting increasingly rude as the weekend wore on. I felt we were a bit of an inconvenience and they would be much happier if we all went home.

It has been suggested that some of us could volunteer to help with future events, but I would warn against this. I have helped to arrange events of this size in the past and invariably people don't show up when they are supposed to, or aren't willing to do the tasks required. I suggest that if we get involved we take over a specific aspect of the event rather than assist with the general operations.

Social Aspects

This was one area where Big Screen was a let down for me, and where there is the biggest room for improvement. I wanted to meet other film fans and aside from the queues there was little opportunity to do so. I think there should be a film themed (fancy dress?) party in Indigo on the Saturday evening, and a film pub quiz in one of the restaurants on Friday maybe. These are both areas where volunteer help could be useful and would not require a huge time commitment during the event itself. There should also be somewhere to sit out of the way where you can chat and meet others.

Interaction

It would be nice to be able to ask direct questions but this also has its problems. (Just ask Chloe and Kermit) Chris was an excellent host and was, for the most part, asking the things I would have asked myself. Maybe we could sumbit our questions via Twitter, and Chris could use a fruit flavoured tablet PC to read them out or to introduce them from the audience. The satellite link up with the Muppets worked really well and it would be great to do more of these and avoid the "sorry i'm not here but" videos.

Sorry this is such a long 1st post. I will finish up by saying I had a really good time and thank you to those of you I met for making me feel welcome. Feel free to pick holes in any of the suggestions above, and I hope to see you all again next year.

Regards,
Ada

Last films Ada saw:

The Guard: 4/5
The Help: 5/5
Fright Night: 4/5
Rise of the Planet of th Apes: 4/5
Super 8: 4/5

(in reply to Big_Pants)
Post #: 93
RE: Movie Con V - 22/8/2011 7:37:22 PM   
columbia_13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daft Ada

Allocation of sessions is automatic, with the option to change once advance ticket sales have closed. This is achieved by selecting a "pathway" when you buy your main pass.

eg. If you select the "I want to see new films" pathway then you are automatically allocated the maximum number of screenings. If you select the "I want to meet stars" pathway then you are allocated sessions with cast in attendance etc. Automatic allocation would reduce the number of clashing sessions and hopefully help with scheduling.

Automated kiosks should be provided so that people can customise their schedules, these could be similar to the automated check in systems used at airports. People are assigned to seats on flights (sessions), and then a boarding card (ticket) is printed. A single ticket could be generated for each day showing all sessions, and this could be worn on a lanyard for checking by staff. Each printed ticket contains a barcode which is invalidated when the ticket is reprinted, and this can be scanned if there are any seating disputes.

Just to quickly point out issues with these ideas you have. I am not really feeling the "pathway selection" option. Although I may want to see new releases, I would have no interest in watching any Harry Potter/ Twilight/ The Hobbit, etc., but I might want to see other new films. I don't like the idea of being locked into a pathway, just because one day RDJ might show up (and I wouldn't miss it for the world), and then I have to sit and listen to Reese Witherspoon talk about her latest chick flick (just as an example). If we can only change our pathways after advance ticket sales have closed, we are left with the same issues as this year, where we can't book the sessions we want to book, then them being sold out, due to crap website design not allowing us to book 2 sessions in 1 screen on 1 day.

The automated kiosk thing isn't a bad idea, but perhaps too costly when looked at it realistically. Why would the ticket become invalidated when it is reprinted though? What if you lost your ticket and had to reprint it? I am not sure what you mean by this. But yes, all tickets should have a barcode, definitely and it is totally ridiculous that they didn't have it this year.

The rest of your ideas raised are fair points, and I think they will have to look at the problems we had this year and fix them (fingers crossed!)

On a side not, the past Movie-Cons have had a lot more time to meet and get to know people, but this year with the hectic scheduling, meeting people took a back seat. Come shout and say hi next time, even if just walking past. We promise we are nice!

Name's Smalls. Leonard Smalls. My friends call me Lenny... only I ain't got no friends.

(in reply to Daft Ada)
Post #: 94
RE: Movie Con V - 24/8/2011 2:13:33 PM   
billop

All this speculative talk of Next Years BS is raisiong my blood pressure. I demand that it stops right now. Or if it doesnt then can we at least speculate that there can be a wholde day dedicated to The Vampire Diaries.

O and BCK.... Im totally with you Sooty is a Bastard. Sue is the best of the lot.

(in reply to columbia_13)
Post #: 95
RE: Movie Con V - 25/8/2011 9:51:29 PM   
Non Forumite

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daft Ada
Maybe we could sumbit our questions via Twitter

This seems very interesting. Although then maybe you have the problem of peoples Pirate Eye and people fiddling with their phones not paying attention and distracting other. But I'm interested.

On a side note. Does anyone remember what internet show that TV crew was there for? Several of us were standing chatting in the outside queue for Planet of The Apes when they kept doing some retake over and over again. I wanted to see if we made the cut.

Chris Hewitt and Kim Newman are concerned for my mental well being.

(in reply to Daft Ada)
Post #: 96
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 10:25:22 AM   
ethanhunt

If i remember rightly, it was fo rthe Sky Movies Family Bollocks...at least that's what he kept saying when he fluffed his lines.

Something to do with the comic book expo at BS

"Wanna toothpick?"

(in reply to Non Forumite)
Post #: 97
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 12:51:41 PM   
Ethanial

Sky Movies Family Bollocks is one great channel, so many kids films, with so many testicles added to each film.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to ethanhunt)
Post #: 98
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 2:34:55 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: billop

All this speculative talk of Next Years BS is raisiong my blood pressure. I demand that it stops right now. Or if it doesnt then can we at least speculate that there can be a wholde day dedicated to The Vampire Diaries.

O and BCK.... Im totally with you Sooty is a Bastard. Sue is the best of the lot.

I'm nearly finished s.1 of Vampire Diaries and so far, apart from the fact that the story moves blessedly quickly and they're all v pretty, I'm not feeling it. Also, Damon's hair WHAT? Blooming awful cut. That he still looks OK is testament to his young-Rob-Lowe genes.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to billop)
Post #: 99
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 2:35:20 PM   
Helen OHara

Also, thanks for feedback, all. The organisers are reading, fear not.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 100
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 2:44:40 PM   
azzman1984

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

Did u like any of the suggestions i made on page 2? Mainly the pint of milk interviews i hope!

Post #: 101
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 2:45:06 PM   
ethanhunt

Welcome Helen, pull up a chair, sit down, relax....WHERE ARE OUR TICKETS!!?!?!?! It's only a year to go and I still haven;t got my tickets!!

Just kidding :D

"Wanna toothpick?"

Post #: 102
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 2:52:31 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: azzman1984

quote:

Did u like any of the suggestions i made on page 2? Mainly the pint of milk interviews i hope!

I'm not worthy to Pint Of Milk The Rock (I was gonna say "Milk The Rock" but that sounded WAY wrong) but I will take on the challenge of that Supernatural panel gladly. I mean, sometimes you just gotta take one for the team.

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 103
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 4:22:17 PM   
billop

Helen, I fear that if you are not totally hooked by now then it might never happen. However i'm halfway through season 2 and it is a lot better than the first so far. Still moving quickly but twice as dramatic. Every other episode has a life or death moment and the Love Triangle is forming a whole lot more. I just love that it is basically Gossip Girl with Vampires.

O and if you think Damons hair is bad now.......

Post #: 104
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 5:03:08 PM   
Helen OHara

Yeah, Gossip Girl / Dawson's Creek with vampires is what I'd already started leaning towards. This series is what I thought Supernatural would be like before I started watching it.

And I genuinely wonder how it could get worse. Ye gods - I guess I'll find out in a quieter moment this weekend...

(in reply to billop)
Post #: 105
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 11:40:28 PM   
Ethanial

quote:

I will take on the challenge of that Supernatural panel gladly. I mean, sometimes you just gotta take one for the team.

Team? Hmm... You're too biased, surely?

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

Post #: 106
RE: Movie Con V - 26/8/2011 11:55:13 PM   
azzman1984

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: azzman1984

quote:

I'm not worthy to Pint Of Milk The Rock (I was gonna say "Milk The Rock" but that sounded WAY wrong) but I will take on the challenge of that Supernatural panel gladly. I mean, sometimes you just gotta take one for the team.

aww don't be hard on yourself, u r more than worthy to do the Pint Of Milk interview with The Rock plus like the great one himself, u always bring it

Post #: 107
RE: Movie Con V - 27/8/2011 12:24:43 AM   
billop

quote:

Yeah, Gossip Girl / Dawson's Creek with vampires is what I'd already started leaning towards. This series is what I thought Supernatural would be like before I started watching it.

And I genuinely wonder how it could get worse. Ye gods - I guess I'll find out in a quieter moment this weekend...

Two Words..... Centre. Parting.

Post #: 108
RE: Movie Con V - 27/8/2011 3:02:52 PM   
buttercupkitty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

quote:

I will take on the challenge of that Supernatural panel gladly. I mean, sometimes you just gotta take one for the team.

Team? Hmm... You're too biased, surely?

I'd be happy to volunteer my services to bring some Team Sam balance to the panel...

Movie Geek Social

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 109
RE: Movie Con V - 27/8/2011 10:11:32 PM   
MrsG

September 2012.

Movie-Con V.

Firefly 10th anniversary reunion.

Please? I would literally do anything...

Movie-Con / Big Screen Diamond Footage and Panels
Forumite Twitter Names

(in reply to buttercupkitty)
Post #: 110
RE: Movie Con V - 29/8/2011 9:10:32 AM   
DanC

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsG

September 2012.

Movie-Con V.

Whoa, good suggestion!!! Can I suggest a screening of Our Mrs. Reynolds, Out of gas or Objects in Space?

"Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing."

(in reply to MrsG)
Post #: 111
RE: Movie Con V - 29/8/2011 3:47:43 PM   
TEFFH

quote:

Thankfully, you have mentioned this now, as back in July we would have been sceptical on their ability to read, that being a precursor to writing, and by extention printing tickets.

I have liked the coverage in this months Empire, and it does bring back warm and fuzzy memories of the Friday, and am glad that BS2/MCV is likely to be going ahead.

I am surprised no one has speculated about any discussions from writers and producers of some of the biggest and best UK TV shows.
Eastenders,
Corrie,
Emmerdale
X-factor
[TEFFH now duck's and covers to avoid retribution]

What I would like to see next year would be
Oz the Great & Powerful preview stuff
Burn Notice panel
Evil Dead trilogy

(No, I am not biased, honest, and it was the Empire Horror Film Special Edition that got me into Evil Dead/Raimi & Campbell, so it's their fault anyway)

Also, any Firefly or Red Dwarf retrospectives would be good. Likewise Hobbit-flavoured previews (will provide my left kidney if it helps secure this....) and/or Bond 23 related stuff (as I don't think these will be released before then, correct me if I am wrong).

< Message edited by TEFFH -- 29/8/2011 3:51:48 PM >

Hail to the King Baby!
Wounds heal. Glory lasts forever.

Post #: 112
RE: Movie Con V - 29/8/2011 5:17:48 PM   
vaxes

quote:

September 2012.

Movie-Con V.

I would be very up for a Joss Whedon q&a

(in reply to MrsG)
Post #: 113
RE: Movie Con V - 29/8/2011 5:19:06 PM   
vaxes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanC

quote:

September 2012.

Movie-Con V.

Whoa, good suggestion!!! Can I suggest a screening of Our Mrs. Reynolds, Out of gas or Objects in Space?

Plus a screening of Serenity

(in reply to DanC)
Post #: 114
RE: Movie Con V - 30/8/2011 1:40:10 PM   
piccolo135

quote:

ORIGINAL: TEFFH
I am surprised no one has speculated about any discussions from writers and producers of some of the biggest and best UK TV shows.
Eastenders,
Corrie,
Emmerdale
X-factor

If I sat down in the Indigo to have a screen flash up with any of those theme tunes, I would go postal. Literally.

I have enough of that garbage at home...

(in reply to TEFFH)
Post #: 115
RE: Movie Con V - 2/9/2011 9:26:10 AM   
MrsG

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanC

quote:

September 2012.

Movie-Con V.

I can't take full credit for that suggestion; BCK and Beg were also responsible for that one.

Movie-Con / Big Screen Diamond Footage and Panels
Forumite Twitter Names

(in reply to DanC)
Post #: 116
RE: Movie Con V - 2/9/2011 3:23:35 PM   
DanC

Well I fourth the motion. I see a Firefly/Serenity marathon in my very near future.

"Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing."

(in reply to MrsG)
Post #: 117
RE: Movie Con V - 4/9/2011 1:43:28 AM   
columbia_13

quote:

ORIGINAL: piccolo135

quote:

ORIGINAL: TEFFH
Eastenders,
Corrie,
Emmerdale
X-factor

If I sat down in the Indigo to have a screen flash up with any of those theme tunes, I would go postal. Literally.

I have enough of that garbage at home...

I'll bring the munitions.

Name's Smalls. Leonard Smalls. My friends call me Lenny... only I ain't got no friends.

(in reply to piccolo135)
Post #: 118
RE: Movie Con V - 7/9/2011 9:30:16 AM   
darnoc1962

didnt know which forum thread to pop this in so thought movie con vets might wanna know

JAY AND SILENT BOB LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH APOLLO  18TH FEB 2012

Thats Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes !!!!

presale on now http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/360047269C9B4943?did=mamavenps

hope thats of help for those who love mr smith

feel free to add me on twitter @conr62 latest films Senna 4.8 stakeland 3.8 dark of the moon 3 hp7b 3.8 cars2 3 horrible bosses 3.6 cap america 4.4 super 8 4.7 cow & alien 3.5 warrior 4 red state 3.9 drive 4.2 rise apes 4.8 conan 4 fright night 4

(in reply to columbia_13)
Post #: 119
RE: Big Screen II - 7/9/2011 4:06:07 PM   
tonethestone

already have withdrawal symptoms, need another Big Screen!!

Nxt up.... The Descendants

(in reply to darnoc1962)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Movie Con V Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI