Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:44:40 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

I didnt have any sympathy at all for Caeser(in fact i saw him as a real threat from the beginning and actually should be seen as the VILLAIN of the film).

They should have thrown him in the river!

With me knowing what he was going to get up to(Wiping out the human race) yes they should have!

But Caesar didn't wipe out the human race. The humans did. Their own hubris by creating ALZ-113 without first running proper tests led to it spreading round the world.

It was also human's mistreatment of apes that led to them getting smarter and eventually escaping.

They didn't wipe out mankind. Mankind did. The apes just picked up the pieces.

Were you watching the film?!

It was Caesar that stole the virus and started spreading it to other apes.Yeah the guy at the lab got himself infected but it was completely unbelievable that he went home afterwards without getting himself checked,and as for the pilot at the end suffering the symptoms,way too unbeleivable that he would go flying with those symptoms he was suffering from.One of my cousins is a pilot and says that was the most far fetched thing in the film.

I have to say i am biased against this film in a way cos i find James Franco really annoying.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 61
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:48:07 PM   
Timon

quote:

One of my cousins is a pilot and says that was the most far fetched thing in the film.

THAT was the most far fetched thing in the film?!

Your cousin's an idiot. I mean that.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 62
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:48:09 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

The ''NO!'' part i thought was just silly,not nearly as silly as the ''damn dirty ape'' reference though.Only Chuck Heston could get away with that,not some unknown playing a bully.

I wasn't keen on the "damn dirty ape" line myself but thought the "NO" part was amazing. I'm a bit perplexed though as to why you'd class the actor who played one of the main protagonists in a series that has grossed over $8billion worldwide (inflation adjusted) as an unknown.

Everyone else seems to have addressed your other points better than I could.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 63
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:51:00 PM   
HughesRoss

MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have had the character of Franco killed at the climax.  I would have had him shot by a stray bullet on the tower, it would have added to the rage of Caesar seeing his ape friends killed in brutal fashion by humans and his "father" also!

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 64
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:51:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Malfoys American accent was sooooooo bad. They should've had him either play English, or cast someone else. I was willing to give the guy a chance but he's just not a very good actor and his accent makes it even worse.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 65
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:54:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Malfoys American accent was sooooooo bad. They should've had him either play English, or cast someone else. I was willing to give the guy a chance but he's just not a very good actor and his accent makes it even worse.

Yeah agreed, for me he was the worst thing in the film. His perma-sneer did nothing to disguise his ridiculous accent.

Calling him unknown is just silly though.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 66
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 2:14:46 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Yeah agreed, for me he was the worst thing in the film. His perma-sneer did nothing to disguise his ridiculous accent.

Calling him unknown is just silly though.

totally, a very obvious weak link in an otherwise high quality blockbuster

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 67
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:05:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

One of my cousins is a pilot and says that was the most far fetched thing in the film.

Reported to Mods.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 68
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:08:28 PM   
CORLEONE

Watched it on Blu Ray last night and it's still bloody fantastic. Roll on sequels.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 69
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:29:49 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

I think one of the things you learn by reading the little column the Guardian runs where they have people in a related profession watch a film/TV prog etc (like a ballet dancer watching Black Swan or a really scary recent one with a plastic surgeon) is that people in a profession do tend to focus and be more unforgiving on the one area in which they are expert, no matter what is happening around it. As in - I've just seen a chimp set up and light a fire then put a pan on it and cook a meal - which is very very freaky - so who the hell knows what will happen in evolution terms down the line. But I know damn well that isn't what a pilot would ever do.

I don't think idiot is quite the way to go? (and seriously - how freaky is it that after watching a couple of vids chimps can set fires and cook meals? The whole sign language thing was bad enough !)

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 70
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 3:26:24 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

It was Caesar that stole the virus and started spreading it to other apes.

To give them intelligence in order to free them from slavery, not to infect humans, by then they were already infected. Weren't you watching?

quote:

Yeah the guy at the lab got himself infected but it was completely unbelievable that he went home afterwards without getting himself checked,

How was he to know he would be infected? He probably did get checked but if you had been watching you'll know that the symptoms didn't immediately show up. By the time he had figured out he was infected it was too late and the only person he could turn to was Will, who wasn't home but he accidentally infected his neighbour by sneezing blood on his face (presumably how the virus is spread). Nothing too far fetched there imo.

quote:

So the most far fetched thing in a film with futuristic genetic tech, Apes becoming smart and able to speak, James Franco being a scientist and a Gorilla jumping on to a helicopter is a pilot flying with a cold?

Ok then.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 3/1/2012 3:38:42 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 71
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 9:59:38 AM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reported to Mods.

Dear Mods,

I wish to revise my previous statement.

Cool Breeze's cousin is a cotton headed ninny muggins.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 72
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 10:00:38 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reported to Mods.

Dear Mods,

I wish to revise my previous statement.

Cool Breeze's cousin is a cotton headed ninny muggins.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 73
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 12:57:51 PM   
elab49

Could we please stick to discussing the statement and not randomly call people names to prod at other posters? I think it's clear it's not been taken as idle banter. Although it's equally clear Timon means he regards the opinion as foolish, which he is more than entitled to do. But I'd refer again to chimps cooking.

Although Spaldron's alternative suggestion of Franco as a scientist being more far-fetched does strike me as the real biggie.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 74
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 12:59:55 PM   
superdan

This was one of the few films where Franco didn't wind me up actually, I thought he did an alright job. I'm still not sure about Pinto's character though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 75
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 1:42:15 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

This was one of the few films where Franco didn't wind me up actually, I thought he did an alright job. I'm still not sure about Pinto's character though.

Wait? Frida Pinto was in this???

Watched it again last night, and knowing it was coming my heart was thumping in my chest just before the "NO!" scene.

However, I will say that in HD, astonishing as the apes are, they do look a little fake at certain points.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 76
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 1:43:53 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Yes, my future wife is in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 77
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 2:07:01 PM   
JIm R

Bought this just before Christmas on blu-ray having not got chance to see at cinema and had read solid reviews and was just excellent across the board, all except Pinto, she was mis-cast frankly.

Obviously the SFX and visuals were so strong but the build up was well handled and original conecpts in place and all nods etc and the hierarchy of the apes adhered to and their roles.

Very enjoyable and solid end. Interesting to see where they go given they've opened things up for themselves.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 78
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 2:07:51 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

She wasn't given much to work with was she? Though even if she had been I'm not convinced she has the ability to do much with it.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 79
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 5:47:47 PM   
jonson

Really enjoyed this film, thought Caesar was excellently done, James Franco was very good, THAT line was effing awful (completely unnecessary and cringeworthy) the scene on the bridge were waaaaaay overhyped (but still good), John Lithogws portrayal of someone with Alzeimers was the film highlight for me, the "Nooooooo!" bit was (in my opinion) a gnats hair away from Darth Vader's "Nooooooo!" (ie ridiculous) but all in all, an enjoyable film, kind of wish I'd seen it on the cinema now.
4/5

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 80
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 8:12:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

some people may recall how vocal i was about how terrible this movie was gonna be before release. Man was i so wrong about it.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 81
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 8:43:47 PM   
Timon

Donovan, the fact that you went into a film with a relatively open mind and were able to put aside your preconceptions means you get one of these.

Remember kids, he that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today.

Post #: 82
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 8:50:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i was indeed very pleasantly surprised. I thought i was only going to enjoy the visual fx, but i really got into the story and performances too (apart from malfoy of course! ). I'm never one to proclaim any blockbuster as a 'smart' movie, but ROTPOTA gave food for thought along with great visuals. I think Rupert Wyatt is extremely gifted with visuals. Unfortunately i did find his audio commentary very dull. but then so was JJ Abram's for Super 8 (IMO).

I absolutely loved the CG camera moves they used throughout the movie. Favourites being the scene where little Cesar runs through the house to the attic, combing real photography with what i presume are CG linking shots. Unfortunately they dont appear to elaborate much on the CG camera work in the extras or Wyatt's commentary. One of my other favourite shots is when Cesar orders the orangutans to go under the bridge, and the camera follows them as they hop over the side and start swinging underneath. I really love shots like that.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 83
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3/1/2012 10:26:52 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

some people may recall how vocal i was about how terrible this movie was gonna be before release. Man was i so wrong about it.

I find it genuinely lovely when something like this happens.

Not in a 'nyah nyah told you so' way.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 84
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 4/1/2012 1:46:07 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
the "Nooooooo!" bit was (in my opinion) a gnats hair away from Darth Vader's "Nooooooo!" (ie ridiculous)

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 85
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 4/1/2012 2:31:14 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Humility is a quality seldom expressed on message boards these days.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 4/1/2012 2:36:48 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 86
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 4/1/2012 10:38:00 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

You're not alone. I was practically dragged to see this by my girlfriend who has a thing for James Franco. Thought I would hate it, turned out it was one of my favourite films of 2011. Sometimes it's great to be wrong.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 87
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 4/1/2012 11:19:28 AM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Really enjoyed this film, thought Caesar was excellently done, James Franco was very good, THAT line was effing awful (completely unnecessary and cringeworthy) the scene on the bridge were waaaaaay overhyped (but still good), John Lithogws portrayal of someone with Alzeimers was the film highlight for me, the "Nooooooo!" bit was (in my opinion) a gnats hair away from Darth Vader's "Nooooooo!" (ie ridiculous) but all in all, an enjoyable film, kind of wish I'd seen it on the cinema now.
4/5

I think this and obviously Ceasars arc were the standouts by a country mile. Their dependence on each other- Lithgow to recover and Ceaser to have a home and carer was sometimes beautiful to watch. The scene following Ceasers attack on the neighbor ending with them hugging- both in fear and confusion was stellar. While I enjoyed the film and found it much better than I originally thought it would be, I thought many characters were incredibly bland. There is the "too young to be a scientist" thing with Franco and he lives with a chimp as if it normal. I think maybe chimpanzees are legal in the USA given the stories of people being torn apart by their pets, but not one person or even Franco himself questions keeping a chimpanzee, regardless of its genetic heritage. His cliche dick boss, money money money ya ya ya (had to be british too). Pinto had nothing to do but stand and look pretty. She gave a few "it is wrong" comments if I remember but these points were not raised enough!

Cox was a sneering pantomime villain and Malfoy was, well he was awful. In the case of the last two I felt I was being force fed to hate them. What?! This is a film where apes take over the world- im supposed to root for the humans!! I think it would have been far more tragic had Cox cared for his animals- much like an Armando character, but ultimately with his resources and facilities unable to provide a lifestyle that Ceaser originally had for all the apes, only for them to break out and destroy him, Malfoy and leave the other one crying in a corner somewhere.

You could argue this works in favor of Ceasers performance but I see clear bias which takes away from the film. IMO improvements could definitely have been made. All of the previous APE films carried some sort of message along the way- warnings of nuclear fallout, social equality even a real favorite of mine in Battle (i think) where one of the characters gives a speech about slavery toward Ceaser during the initial uprising. I didnt see any of this in Rise. Was there involvement of animal rights campaigners? Cant remember- but in a film concerning animal testing and med ethics there is always room for some protesters who break into facilities and release chimps only to have the simians wipe the floor with them.

Enjoyable film with solid effects as expected from WETA but on the whole, not more than your average blockbuster. Ive only seen it once so may have to revisit.

< Message edited by kumar -- 4/1/2012 11:36:14 AM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 88
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 4/1/2012 11:48:13 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Donovan, the fact that you went into a film with a relatively open mind and were able to put aside your preconceptions means you get one of these.

Remember kids, he that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today.

An equally important lesson Ti,is not to hold a grudge against someone who dislikes a film you like and to respect the fact that people have different opinions and tastes,and that making childish personal insults against someones family does not constitute good film discussion.

Carry on.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 89
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 4/1/2012 12:29:51 PM   
Timon

I don't hold grudges at all. If there is anyone on the forum who has a more different taste in films to me, it's probably DK - the man likes Torque for Zeus' sake!

However I stand by my comment about your cousin though if he thought a pilot turning up to work ill was the most far fetched thing in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. He is a ninny muggins.

And the Star Wars prequels aren't very good.

And Daniel Craig is a good James Bond.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI