Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 6:52:00 PM   
Whistler

Yeah you're probably right there. Still doesn't excuse them though

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 31
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 6:58:53 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

although....

I did clock that the apes freed in the zoo in the park very quickly decided to pick up the fence railings and yield them as weapons. And they had not been exposed to alz113...

I think those were the smart apes who had freed the zoo ones.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 32
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 7:04:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: gggolem

...when Caesar first said the word "No", A LOT of people just roared with laughter. Why, I have no f*cking idea...

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. When I saw it I heard a few people tittering, but I couldn't figure out what there was to titter about. It's a defining moment in an huge cinematic franchise, and a bloody good one at that.

It is a natural human reaction - doubt they were mocking the No, but rather a laugh of "holy shit".

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 33
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 29/12/2011 1:38:49 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

...when Caesar first said the word "No", A LOT of people just roared with laughter. Why, I have no f*cking idea...

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. When I saw it I heard a few people tittering, but I couldn't figure out what there was to titter about. It's a defining moment in an huge cinematic franchise, and a bloody good one at that.

It is a natural human reaction - doubt they were mocking the No, but rather a laugh of "holy shit".

But laughing doesn't seem like a "holy shit" reaction, at least not for this film. Surely if they were thinking that they'd be gasping or something?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 29/12/2011 1:40:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But laughing doesn't seem like a "holy shit" reaction, at least not for this film. Surely if they were thinking that they'd be gasping or something?

It is like a rollercoaster - you would expect everyone to scream their heads off in fear, but so many laugh at the same. Just an odd way the human brain is wired.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 35
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 29/12/2011 1:42:57 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

the 'problem' with that moment, is that it comes right after the line "get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!" Which whilst a great line to us and cool nod to the original movie, is a very cheesy line out of that context, which, let's face it, most of the audience would not get at all. They were probably just laughing at that line. I saw the movie with someone who laughed at that line so spoilt the Ceaser "No" moment  (for them, i had already watched the movie)

I have to admit I cringed at the 'damn dirty ape' line. I know its history, but at that time and that point, it was just so far removed from the film. Urgh.

Post #: 36
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 29/12/2011 1:46:25 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is like a rollercoaster - you would expect everyone to scream their heads off in fear, but so many laugh at the same. Just an odd way the human brain is wired.

I suppose. It just seems odd to me.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 37
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 29/12/2011 2:16:16 PM   
MonsterCat

My sister bought me the Blu Ray for Christmas and I loved every minute of this thing.

I found it to be thrilling, at times very emotional and unusually intelligent for a summer blockbuster.

And, as someone who has seen two of his grandparents suffer from senile dementia, I found John Lithgow's portrayal of a man inflicted with this horrible fucking disease to be scarily accurate and heartbreaking.

I really want to see Rupert Wyatt return for the inevitable sequel. I think this guy is crazy talented

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 38
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 30/12/2011 10:55:44 PM   
Timon

Watched it again last night with the family and still felt it needed a scene with Will telling Caesar that Charles had died...

I'll have to see if it's on the Deleted Scenes. Also still wondering what happened to Brian Cox's character. Maybe he'll be back for Victory of the Planet of the Apes or whatever it will be called.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 39
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 3:34:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

Finally got round to renting this and thought it was decent enough,but fairly overated.

It was basically cgi apes jumping around for two hours.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 40
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 3:45:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had heart, it had charm, it had shit hot CGI work and one of the best action set pieces of the year. Great stuff, I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 41
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 8:00:42 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Finally got round to renting this and thought it was decent enough,but fairly overated.

I guess that's the closest we will get to you admitting you were wrong about the film.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 42
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 8:18:24 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Exactly why I have NO interest in watching it. Andy Serkis and his f**king motion capture schtick yet again.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 43
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 8:28:16 PM   
HughesRoss

SE...you are so WRONG about this film it upsets me!

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 44
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 9:16:59 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

SE...you are so WRONG about this film it upsets me!

Lets face it, its no Rocky 17.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 45
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 9:43:46 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

Exactly why I have NO interest in watching it. Andy Serkis and his f**king motion capture schtick yet again.

Yes, but Silas, I'm sorry Cool Breeze, saying that is to miss the point entirely.

It's like saying Predator is just an excuse to watch muscular men getting sweaty for two hours.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 46
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 1/1/2012 10:25:18 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

Thats literally what it is.The guy seems to get all the credit for all of this motion capture stuff but its the animators who do all the work.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 47
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:17:15 AM   
Timon

I think you're spectacularly missing the point of motion capture and what goes into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9Pvfq1KhE

Post #: 48
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:19:03 AM   
matty_b

Timon, how dare you reply with logic, clarity and reason!

That's NOT the point of the argument at all.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 49
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:21:30 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

I do not believe I have ever read such a wrong statement about a film before!.....

The emotional punch I had from this film was stunning, espeically with the "Noooooooo!" scene.

Yes, the film does become what you say for the final quarter, but then I am sure 99% of the audience expected this when they went in to watch.

What was you expecting, a bunch of chimps drinking a cup of PG Tips for the climax

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 50
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:30:05 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, but you can't take that kind of criticism seriously, Hughes.

It's reductive criticism which is essentially the tool for anyone who can't be arsed to actually engage their brain and thought processes into telling people what they actually think of a film.

You can use it for any film ("it's two hours of boxing...it's two hours of flying around in a spaceship...it's two hours of running after people with a knife...") and doesn't really tell anybody anything particularly insightful or intelligent.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 51
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:44:29 AM   
HughesRoss

Yeah you right!

I can understand it more if he said "The film did nothing for me!" because that is the way it works, but to pour such wrongful scorn on a film that carries more heart than any other action film I have seen for a long time made my eyes fill up in despair........

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 52
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 11:55:44 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

it's called trolling!

Anyway i was not expecting to enjoy this movie but i really did. I mean there's not a whole to it, but perhaps that's part of its strength. The FX are amongst the best i've seen and there are plenty of exciting scenes. The action towards the end is good stuff, although totally ridiculous. I think the apes constantly jumping through thick plate glass windows was a bit much though.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 53
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:26:17 PM   
Cool Breeze

Guys,i know a lot of you really liked this film but it just didnt work for me.Its not trolling.Its just my opinon.If you read my previous post,youl see that i didnt think it was actually terrible,it was entertaining enough but i found it forgettable and not as good as i heard it was.I didnt have any sympathy at all for Caeser(in fact i saw him as a real threat from the beginning and actually should be seen as the VILLAIN of the film).

The ''NO!'' part i thought was just silly,not nearly as silly as the ''damn dirty ape'' reference though.Only Chuck Heston could get away with that,not some unknown playing a bully.

Just my opinion guys.Carry on loving this film by all means.

Post #: 54
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:29:59 PM   
Timon

quote:

I didnt have any sympathy at all for Caeser(in fact i saw him as a real threat from the beginning and actually should be seen as the VILLAIN of the film).

They should have thrown him in the river!

Post #: 55
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:32:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i was joking with the troll thing, i didn't mean to aim it at you specifically anyway cool breeze!

anyway, let's check out some amazing VFX:

Post #: 56
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:36:07 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

I didnt have any sympathy at all for Caeser(in fact i saw him as a real threat from the beginning and actually should be seen as the VILLAIN of the film).

With me knowing what he was going to get up to(Causing events resulting in wiping out the human race) yes they should have!

As for the cgi in the film,its a useful tool for creating fantasy creatures but it just looks too fake and cartoony when creating apes.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 2/1/2012 1:39:49 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:38:01 PM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

With me knowing what he was going to get up to(Wiping out the human race) yes they should have!

But Caesar didn't wipe out the human race. The humans did. Their own hubris by creating ALZ-113 without first running proper tests led to it spreading round the world.

It was also human's mistreatment of apes that led to them getting smarter and eventually escaping.

They didn't wipe out mankind. Mankind did. The apes just picked up the pieces.

Were you watching the film?!

Post #: 58
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:39:12 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

it was science run amok! Man playing God! We deserve to have our asses handed to us by CGI apes!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 59
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2/1/2012 1:42:43 PM   
HughesRoss

Have I missed the point?

How was Caeser the bad ape that caused the end of mankind!

Rise never showed anything to suggest that!  He wanted to be free and that is what he got, there are rumours that he may not be even the bad guy in the now developing sequel!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI