Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 14/8/2011 2:10:24 AM   
thetruth

Too early?I think not,and better than the original films and deserving of credit as a stand alone film.
One of the few exceptional blockbusters of 2011.
A great story,and kudos to Serkis,but unlike Kong a lot more depth here that outweighs the effects.
This is literally all about the ape(s),and such fantastic emotion and feeling that is given to them.
Alltogether........No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos
Post #: 1
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 14/8/2011 11:27:28 PM   
CORLEONE

My favourite film of the year so far, and this guy is easily the character of 2011 thus far:

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 2
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 14/8/2011 11:33:48 PM   
thetruth

That's a fantastic picture!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 3
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 15/8/2011 7:00:52 PM   
gggolem

Went to see it yesterday. It's great, really. Cannot think of anything I didn't like about the film. Now, I'm not a big James Franco fan, but he's really starting to grow on me.Also, the apes were done brilliantly, they almost looked real! But the most important thing for me was the story, so so sad... It made me kinda happy though, since the film reminded us how animal laboratories really work and what they're all about: making profit while the animals suffer.

My overall cinema experience wasn't that great, though. As always, there we're people munching away their snacks and laughing in the most inappropriate times. And that's okay, since most of them were there because of James Franco and didn't care about trhe movie. BUT, when Caesar first said the word "No", A LOT of people just roared with laughter. Why, I have no f*cking idea...

All men would be cowards if they only had the courage.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 4
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 16/8/2011 12:11:27 AM   
thetruth

Because idiots unfortunately get to go to the cinema!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to gggolem)
Post #: 5
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 21/8/2011 8:19:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

Great great film.

Seen it again this week - so great to see a blockbuster based on character and not just flashy special effects (although the effects work is remarkable)

Don't think I have seen one bad review of it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 6
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 21/8/2011 9:31:24 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Saw this film just now. Wow !, quite easily my best experiance at the cinema all year. Caeser is my new hero, what a brilliant character. If your not rooting for the apes by the end you must have a heart of stone.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 21/8/2011 11:16:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: gggolem

It made me kinda happy though, since the film reminded us how animal laboratories really work and what they're all about: making profit while the animals suffer.

Ever know someone who has been treated for a major illness or condition? Or have a friend who knows someone? I suspect the answer is yes. If so, chances are the medicine was tested on chimps first. It's all very well anthropomorphising the animals, but the serve a very specific purpose. This isn't cosmetics, this is actual life-changing science. Heck, the central gambit is around the attempt to find a cure for Alzheimers. That's a very real concern, and I think the film deals with it beautifully. It does show that, at the end of the day, these are businesses, but it shows those who actually care for the animals as caring. The monsters as depicted in the film are the ones that deal with the animals in the primate sanctuary. If anyone has a beef with the film, it's the people who actually do work in those places, as they come out somewhat villified in the film. It's a madhouse! A MAAADHOOOOUSE!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to gggolem)
Post #: 8
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 22/8/2011 11:57:36 AM   
Rgirvan44

I think Caeser is the first main character of a film who is CGI and for whom I was totally invested. I wasn't thinking of him as a bunch of 1s and 0s. Yes, Gollum and Chris Johnston were also very impressive, but they didn't have to carry the film.

Amazing work.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 9
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 22/8/2011 12:25:19 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I think Caeser is the first main character of a film who is CGI and for whom I was totally invested. I wasn't thinking of him as a bunch of 1s and 0s. Yes, Gollum and Chris Johnston were also very impressive, but they didn't have to carry the film.

Amazing work.

Kudo's to WETA and Serkis, who now is officially the god of motion capture performance !

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 27/8/2011 12:15:59 AM   
chambanzi

Awesome film was highly impressed. Probably my favourite picture of 2011 so far. Huge fan of the original though (and I mean the original not the Tim Burton crap.)
This works best as a stand alone film though. 8/10 from me.

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 27/8/2011 12:16:23 AM >

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 11
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 27/8/2011 11:17:49 AM   
Tech_Noir

Not better than the original but (for me) on level with Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 12
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 27/8/2011 12:15:03 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Not better than the original but (for me) on level with Escape from the Planet of the Apes.
Really???I thought it was far superior!Both great films though.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 13
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 27/8/2011 1:01:22 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Really???I thought it was far superior!Both great films though.

The original is a solid masterpiece, Rise is a great summer blockbuster.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 14
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 27/8/2011 7:04:23 PM   
gggolem

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Ever know someone who has been treated for a major illness or condition? Or have a friend who knows someone? I suspect the answer is yes. If so, chances are the medicine was tested on chimps first. It's all very well anthropomorphising the animals, but the serve a very specific purpose. This isn't cosmetics, this is actual life-changing science. Heck, the central gambit is around the attempt to find a cure for Alzheimers. That's a very real concern, and I think the film deals with it beautifully. It does show that, at the end of the day, these are businesses, but it shows those who actually care for the animals as caring. The monsters as depicted in the film are the ones that deal with the animals in the primate sanctuary. If anyone has a beef with the film, it's the people who actually do work in those places, as they come out somewhat villified in the film. It's a madhouse! A MAAADHOOOOUSE!

I was expecting something like this. Everybody knows people battling with serious illnesses, and it's not exactly nice. But that's not the point here. I HATE to see people suffer and die, especially young children, it's truly awful. But the thing I hate even more, is to see innocent animals being planted with horrible diseases and having their hearts cut out while they're still conscious, all in the name of science. Ever heard of vivisection? I suggest you look it up. Humans aren't humane when it comes to dealing with animals. We aren't superior, we just have hands.

Funnily enough, so do apes. It makes me sick to know what our "brothers and sisters" at the laboratories have to go through every single day just so that some "scientists" can pretend they're trying to find the cure for cancer and AIDS, when in reality all they do is hit, kick, strangle and curse at terrified animals. It makes me sick.

All men would be cowards if they only had the courage.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 15
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 29/9/2011 1:24:00 AM   
Spaldron

Pimp this thread up a bit. Saw this today and can't say enough good things about it. Really hope there is a sequel as they set it up really nice, with the virus spreading amongst the humans and a future power struggle between Caesar and Koba.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to gggolem)
Post #: 16
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 29/9/2011 1:00:12 PM   
DazDaMan

Yep, top-notch entertainment.

Wasn't always entirely convinced by Caesar, though. Not sure why this is.

Plus, you don't get to see enough John Lithgow these days!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 17
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 30/9/2011 11:39:09 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I cannot wait to watch this film! Will comment after i've watched it...

Godspeed!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 18
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 6/12/2011 10:31:10 PM   
shool

Finally got around to seeing this. Awesome film. One of the best of the year.
I agree with Girv that a CG character managed to carry the film entirely is massively impressive. I really hope this gets a worthy sequel as it sets up a really interesting piece.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 19
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 7/12/2011 7:50:51 AM   
Timon

I was sold on the movie when I saw this awesome concept art.

< Message edited by Timon -- 7/12/2011 7:52:11 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 20
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 7/12/2011 9:01:53 AM   
Funkyrae

While the art got me, I was sold on this in July the previous year when I found out my friend was going to be playing Buck.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 7/12/2011 9:20:57 AM   
shool

That arkwork is Awesome. Caesar is awesome.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 7/12/2011 11:36:56 AM   
messiahtime

Really good show for what it is, have watched it 3 or 4 times now, don't mean to pick holes, silly silly plot with holes as big as the Grand Canyon

Caesar made the show...

Zurple is the new black and has always been!!!

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 23
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 7:05:07 AM   
Sutty

watched this on blu ray last night and thought it was a very very good film. Was totally drawn in by Serkis's performance and the storyline was great. Loved Caesers character too.

What ploy holes you talking about messiahtime?

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to messiahtime)
Post #: 24
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 7:10:14 AM   
Sutty

although....

I did clock that the apes freed in the zoo in the park very quickly decided to pick up the fence railings and yield them as weapons. And they had not been exposed to alz113...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 25
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 8:48:04 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

good movie! A blind buy for me but i seriously enjoyed it, great FX too. It's a little daft (and takes itself very seriously) but other than that, it's fun, and nice and short too.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 26
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 1:17:42 PM   
UTB

Really enjoyed this (though the setup is Deep Blue Sea again). Great fx, superb action, and engaging.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 1:19:59 PM   
Sutty

I just hope they live up to their promise of making the following two movies.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 28
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 4:34:38 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: gggolem

...when Caesar first said the word "No", A LOT of people just roared with laughter. Why, I have no f*cking idea...

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. When I saw it I heard a few people tittering, but I couldn't figure out what there was to titter about. It's a defining moment in an huge cinematic franchise, and a bloody good one at that.

(in reply to gggolem)
Post #: 29
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 28/12/2011 4:44:57 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

the 'problem' with that moment, is that it comes right after the line "get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!" Which whilst a great line to us and cool nod to the original movie, is a very cheesy line out of that context, which, let's face it, most of the audience would not get at all. They were probably just laughing at that line. I saw the movie with someone who laughed at that line so spoilt the Ceaser "No" moment  (for them, i had already watched the movie)

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI