Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fighting Fantasy Books!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 12/9/2011 12:09:49 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

OH MY GOD!!! HERE IS THE VERSION I HAD!

Aw man... Such GREAT memories! Kids these days will NEVER appreciate the simple pleasures such as these.

Nope!
GREAT memories!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 31
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 12/9/2011 12:12:15 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

The ones I played were the four Sorcery! books, Deathtrap Dungeon, The Rings of Kether, Appointment With F.E.AR. and Sword of The Samurai. The fact is I didn't even have a go at the vast majority. 

I had that one, it was absolutely epic - I must have re-read (re-played?) that 20 times

BTW - I take it everybody did the, leave the finger in the book at the last page just in case you die, thing.

I just wonder if you can get these on the kindle...

EDIT - apparantly not bugger.

I never did that!!
Was there anything worse than turning to page 271 where your life and mission ended??
Or being betrayed by the dice in a fight you shouldnt lose?

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 32
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 31/10/2011 9:23:24 PM   
BigKovacs

I've found a load at my folks as well, 1-30 and randoms after that. I loved them all and the artwork was always stunning.

Does anyone remebee one of the later ones that's fantasy based but tinged with horror, you play a demon hunter who's parents have been killed (harsh) and you're trying to kill the demon that has their souls. Anyone remember what it is?

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 33
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/11/2011 6:24:33 PM   
lev821

These books rule. I have all of them 1 - 59, as well as the sorcery series and a few others. Why they ended the series on book 59 I don't know. Recently though they seem to have started them up again, starting at what would have been book 60, Bloodbones. There are also a few others. Eye of the dragon, Stormslayer, etc...So that means its back to getting them again, which is great. A lot of the artwork ruled as well. Martin Mckenna is good, also the weird bizarreness of Ian Miller. Just see Phantoms of fear. They were all great, and it's good to see them back.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 34
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 3/3/2012 5:40:59 AM   
bwatford

Now how cool would it be to play these books as a PBeM game where you competed against other players that were in the books with you.

I have done just that and we are just getting started...

Please check us out and tell us what you think. If you want to play then just sign-up if not that's ok too.

All feedback is welcome...

www.kingdomofmorrain.com/pbemgame/

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 35
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 25/5/2012 12:25:07 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot
For me Creature of Havoc was probably the most perfect of all the books,

Thread Ressurection!
I used to have loads of these and even started a Role Playing Club at school with them.

There came a time in my life when I thought it was time to put them away, but I held on to Creature of Havoc.  It's the Ultimate.  I never once came close to completeing it.  Even cheating, by winning every encounter and every luck roll.  It's Bastard Hard.  Might be time for a trip down to my Dad's Cellar where all my old stuff is stored!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 36
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 25/5/2012 12:41:07 PM   
superdan

Never played Creature Of Havoc, although I always preferred Ian Livingston's individual efforts anyway. Steve Jackson's were rock fucking hard (I remain convinced Starship Traveller was actually impossible). Livingston's were a little lighter, more 'fun' (City Of Thieves, Deathtrap Dungeon, Trial Of Champions etc).

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 37
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 1/7/2012 11:07:50 AM   
thedrin

Deathtrap Dungeons was my favourite. I loved the concept of being in an underground dungeon - fighting for survival and treasure and not knowing what would lie around the next corner. Trial of Champions is my earliest memory of being disappointed by a sequel. It's good, but the trial you have to win at the start reduces the amount of time in the dungeon.

I also really liked Robot Commando - Dinosaurs and Robots in Space!

I'm not sure I could go back to them. I started looking for similar experiences in computer games about 10 years back and discovered the roguelike genre. While I've never played Dungeons and Dragons, which was the initial the inspiration for those games, I suspect that Fighting Fantasy is far closer in feel to roguelikes than DnD.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 38
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 1/7/2012 1:09:22 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah Deathtrap dungeon was great - I remember feeling disturbed by the multi eyed beast on the cover as a sprog

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 39
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 3/8/2012 10:43:35 AM   
Invader_Ace

They're Back!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/aug/02/fighting-fantasy-blood-of-the-zombies

Fighting Fantasy is back! Try your skill in Blood of the Zombies
It's been seven years since the last Fighting Fantasy's book, in which you, the reader, are the fearless hero, was published. Ian Livingstone is back with a new volume, Blood of the Zombies. Time to dust off those dice

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 40
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 3/8/2012 12:11:15 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

They're Back!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/aug/02/fighting-fantasy-blood-of-the-zombies

Fighting Fantasy is back! Try your skill in Blood of the Zombies
It's been seven years since the last Fighting Fantasy's book, in which you, the reader, are the fearless hero, was published. Ian Livingstone is back with a new volume, Blood of the Zombies. Time to dust off those dice

Sweet! I might have to blog about it too (as well as purchasing).

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 41
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 11/8/2012 3:09:40 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I'm just gonna get it for old time's sake! We can all discuss it here - yipeeeeeeeee

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 42
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 11/8/2012 4:31:35 PM   
directorscut

Zombies. Why did it have to be zombies?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 43
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 11/8/2012 5:41:11 PM   
Invader_Ace

Jesus Man, do you never have any joy in your life?!

Probably because Zombies still sell like gang-busters at the moment. While agree personally that they are a bit over-saturated at the moment, hopefully this will get a whole new generation of nerds into the books.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 44
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 11/8/2012 8:16:10 PM   
Drone

I've been meaning to post a pic of my collection in here for a while - I started collecting the FIghting Fantasy series again a few years ago; it's been on the back burner for a while as I don't have the spare cash to pick up the final few volumes (the emost recent ones which can be fairly expensive on Ebay) but I have almost two complete collecitons of 1-50; one with first editions and unmarked adventure sheets which is stored away safely in the loft, and a second collection on my bookshelf.

I also have the Sorcery! series, a few standalones like Riddleing Reaver and Out of the Pit - I would like to build a complete collection, first editions, comprehensive, with all the rareities etc. I was such a huge FF fan as a kid.

I think it's awesome they're on the way back! I partiicularly loved the artwork in the books - sometimes a bit hit 'n' miss, but generally really creative and well done. Personal favourites - House of Hell, Creatire of Havoc and City of Thieves.

Post #: 45
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 6/9/2012 1:00:00 PM   
Bloke from Oz

My favourite books were Scorpion Swamp, Demons of the Deep, Master of Chaos and Spectral Stalkers. At high school, I was the "Go-to Guy" for these books, as I had virtually all of them in my collection. I've long since gotten rid of them, but from time to time I look back, and wish I had kept some of them.

Ahhh, the memories....

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 46
RE: Fighting Fantasy BACK! - 27/11/2012 9:37:22 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Jesus Man, do you never have any joy in your life?!

Probably because Zombies still sell like gang-busters at the moment. While agree personally that they are a bit over-saturated at the moment, hopefully this will get a whole new generation of nerds into the books.

I think someone was maybe adopting/adapting Indy's "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"?

Had many of these books. Cheated like a bastard, Still went round and round for almost forever in, I think, Scorpion swamp.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 27/11/2012 9:39:34 PM >

Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI