Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Fighting Fantasy Books!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Fighting Fantasy Books! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 12:51:09 PM   
clownfoot

So, the London Riots thread got a little side-tracked by a few nerds talking about the awesomeness of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's contribution to all things geeky, specifically the Fighting Fantasy books of yesteryear. So who is your favourite out of the duo and what are your favourite titles/memories of the books.

For me Creature of Havoc was probably the most perfect of all the books, both from a story-telling perspective (your some creature with no memory that acts on instinct), the difficultly of surviving and the quality of the puzzles. Remember if you missed learning how to speak the language of the locals then there was no way out of the dungeon! Pretty glad I found my copy of this and the numerous other titles held in my old man's loft a couple of months back. They have now been restored to the book-shelf where they belong!!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 1:15:40 PM   
From_Hell

I loved these books when I was a youngster and devoured as many as were around at the time. My favourites were The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Demons Of The Deep, and House Of Hell. I don't think I ever actually managed to finish House Of Hell

There was also a companion book called Titan, which was also a good read.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 2
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 1:33:29 PM   
directorscut

I found about twenty of these in my attic a few days ago. They were all brown and smelly. Goddamn ravages of time.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 3
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 2:42:25 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, I used to love those as well. Can't say I ever had a favourite out of the two authors, though. Warlock of Firetrap Mountain and Deathtrap Dungeon are the main ones that spring to mind.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 4
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 4:22:45 PM   
Chief

I've still got all of my collection (1-50 minus a couple that I never got).

I never had a favourite author (I thought most of them were a joint effort?) but my favourite book is... damned if I can remember the name of it! I'm sure it was a follow up to Deathtrap Dungeon and featured an arena of sorts where you had to jump one blade and duck another along with other prisoners. Anyway, damn good books.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 4:28:51 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I never had a favourite author (I thought most of them were a joint effort?) but my favourite book is... damned if I can remember the name of it! I'm sure it was a follow up to Deathtrap Dungeon and featured an arena of sorts where you had to jump one blade and duck another along with other prisoners. Anyway, damn good books.

Trial of Champions?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 6
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 4:59:07 PM   
directorscut

My favourites were the sci-fi ones.

Freeway Fighter was a total rip-off of Mad Max. It was awesome!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 7:19:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Excellent work starting this thread

Fuck there's a few on here I haven't read/played.... I can't remember these sci-fi ones goddamit!!! The only one that springs to mind is this one..

I might have to bring the dice out of retirement.   I never played proper D + D where people are gathered around but these books were brilliant, an older version of the Choose Your Own Adventure books.

Looking at the list of books on Wikipedia  I only played about 8 or 9 of these 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fighting_Fantasy_gamebooks

The ones I played were the four Sorcery! books, Deathtrap Dungeon, The Rings of Kether, Appointment With F.E.AR. and Sword of The Samurai. The fact is I didn't even have a go at the vast majority. 

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 10/8/2011 7:26:09 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 8:38:15 PM   
DJ Satan

My favourite was City of Thieves (I think it was book 5). I always remember playing catch with a cannonball.

My brother is currently scouring all the charity shops looking for them and recently picked up a first edition of the first book for a pittance.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 9
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 10/8/2011 9:01:24 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

The ones I played were the four Sorcery! books, Deathtrap Dungeon, The Rings of Kether, Appointment With F.E.AR. and Sword of The Samurai. The fact is I didn't even have a go at the vast majority.

I had that one, it was absolutely epic - I must have re-read (re-played?) that 20 times

BTW - I take it everybody did the, leave the finger in the book at the last page just in case you die, thing.

I just wonder if you can get these on the kindle...

EDIT - apparantly not bugger.

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 10/8/2011 9:05:40 PM >

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 10
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 11/8/2011 12:06:17 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Trial of Champions?

'Twas. I found out yesterday and meant to edit. Might not even have been my favourite actually, now that I've been reminded of all the others.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

BTW - I take it everybody did the, leave the finger in the book at the last page just in case you die, thing.

No, you dirty cheating bastard!

Yes.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 11
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 11/8/2011 7:29:06 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Just found this - http://www.ffproject.com/

Fan-written (so probably shit) online fantasy fighting books!

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 12
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 11/8/2011 8:09:38 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I had that one, it was absolutely epic - I must have re-read (re-played?) that 20 times

Damn right! I used to cheat with the stats as well because you had to roll at the start for your strength and stamina.

I think an illustrated/ comic book version of the fighting fantasy books would work brilliantly on an I Pad.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 13
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 12/8/2011 9:00:53 AM   
Chief

quote:

Just found this - http://www.ffproject.com/

Fan-written (so probably shit) online fantasy fighting books!

I just had a quick crack at House of Horror. Dead after about 10 pages!

Seems decent though, might have another crack later on.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 14
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 12/8/2011 5:25:13 PM   
superdan

Man, talk about a blast from the past. I had quite a few of these, I used to love them:

Warlock of Firetop Moutain
Citadel Of Chaos
Starship Traveller (rock hard, never completed it)
City Of Thieves
Deathtrap Dungeon
Seas Of Blood
Sword Of The Samurai
Trial Of Champions
Beneath Nightmare Castle
Midnight Rogue (quality)
Chasms Of Malice (a proper moody one)
Armies Of Death (probably my favourite just 'cos of armies)

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 15
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 13/8/2011 12:56:19 PM   
Sledge Hammer

I will agree with two already mentioned - City of Thieves and Freeway fighter. I would also like to offer up the Forrest of Doom and a controversial suggestion....Appointment with FEAR

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 16
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 22/8/2011 1:41:14 PM   
Xanxiani

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan
My brother is currently scouring all the charity shops looking for them and recently picked up a first edition of the first book for a pittance.

Yes, yes I am. They're rare enough that you can scour whole towns without finding one, but they do pop up occasionally. I've paid anywhere between 2.50 and 50p for them in the shops, and managed to get three for 75p from a car boot sale. Got a couple of the Sorcery! books too. I'll not use eBay though - that's cheating!

My favourite was Appointment with F.E.A.R. as I loved the superhero aspect!

"But there's no sense crying
Over every mistake.
You just keep on trying
Till you run out of cake."

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 17
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 22/8/2011 2:47:43 PM   
Snake-Eyes

OH MAN!!!!! MEMORIES! I even remember the first two were called THE WARLOCK OF FIRETOP MOUNTAIN and THE CITADEL OF CHAOS. And I think there was one called the FOREST OF FEAR with that creepy-looking goblin on the front cover? AWESOME stuff! Takes me back to a better time when life was beautiful & carefree.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 18
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 22/8/2011 8:14:05 PM   
Funkyrae

Warlock of Firetop Mountain rocked!

Zagor you Warlock bastard, you killed me so many times. Until I just went back to the page I was on before I got to you and made a different choice.

I have to say, this is one thing that would make me potentially buy an iPad - http://tumblr.hostedlife.co.uk/post/1108254584/fightingfantasy

That's me that is!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 19
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 22/8/2011 9:14:58 PM   
Snake-Eyes

OH MY GOD!!! HERE IS THE VERSION I HAD!

Aw man... Such GREAT memories! Kids these days will NEVER appreciate the simple pleasures such as these.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 20
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 9:13:05 AM   
Chief

Wonder if these would be worth anything? I only need 5 or 6 to complete the set then I could flog them.

I remember my mum took one to work and photocopied a load of gameboards for me so I didn't ruin the books.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 21
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 12:38:00 PM   
blackduck

Man I used to love the FF books, still have a handful of them at home, tempted to dig out a set of dice and give them a go tonight.
You were also able to get them for the ZX Spectrum which was a lot harder as you couldn't do the thumb on the last page thing, ya know unless you bought the book too and used it to follow along with the game...which made a lot of sense at the time.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 22
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 2:45:28 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

OH MAN!!!!! MEMORIES! I even remember the first two were called THE WARLOCK OF FIRETOP MOUNTAIN and THE CITADEL OF CHAOS. And I think there was one called the FOREST OF FEAR with that creepy-looking goblin on the front cover? AWESOME stuff! Takes me back to a better time when life was beautiful & carefree.

Was it a Goblin on the front cover of Forest of Doom? I always presumed it was a shape-shifter you encountered during the read...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 23
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 3:05:44 PM   
Chief

Is this a can of geek worms that really needs opened?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 24
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 4:15:55 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Is this a can of geek worms that really needs opened?

Why is it that I can remember the front cover of fighting fantasy books I read many moons ago, but as a historian can rarely, if ever, remember dates of historical importance?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 25
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 4:33:10 PM   
Chief

If history contained Orcs, Goblins and Wizards you'd be the greatest historian of all time.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 26
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 6:02:01 PM   
directorscut

I bought the Warlock of Firetop Mountain game for the ipod Funkyrae linked to and I'm glad I did. Presentation is excellent, and you can call me a heathen but it's so much more fun playing it like this and letting someone(thing) else worry about keeping track of the rules and your stats and items. They also let you go back pages for the Chief Wiggums among you.

For my first game I rolled an okay 9-22-9 and was doing pretty well until a trap took 3 points away from my skill stat.

I ended up getting killed by a room of 4 zombies.

The next time I play I'll pick the skill potion.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 27
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 6:35:04 PM   
superdan

Can you only get Warlock, or can you get a bunch/all of them? Because if you can get all of them that could be the first thing that piques my interest in getting an iPad  

Post #: 28
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 23/8/2011 7:04:17 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Can you only get Warlock, or can you get a bunch/all of them? Because if you can get all of them that could be the first thing that piques my interest in getting an iPad

There's five in total (so far): Deathtrap Dungeon, Citadel of Chaos, Creature of Havoc and City of Thieves. Hopefully they'll continue to bring more out.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 29
RE: Fighting Fantasy Books! - 12/9/2011 12:09:04 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

So, the London Riots thread got a little side-tracked by a few nerds talking about the awesomeness of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's contribution to all things geeky, specifically the Fighting Fantasy books of yesteryear. So who is your favourite out of the duo and what are your favourite titles/memories of the books.

For me Creature of Havoc was probably the most perfect of all the books, both from a story-telling perspective (your some creature with no memory that acts on instinct), the difficultly of surviving and the quality of the puzzles. Remember if you missed learning how to speak the language of the locals then there was no way out of the dungeon! Pretty glad I found my copy of this and the numerous other titles held in my old man's loft a couple of months back. They have now been restored to the book-shelf where they belong!!

Just discovered this section-but this all the way!!!!
Used to multi play with my mates-awesome!Forget ps3 etc,this was/is entertainment!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Fighting Fantasy Books! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI