Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 14/9/2011 11:04:01 AM   
swordsandsandals

Not seen any Ozu, but given that I generally like a lot of the Japanese cinema I've seen, I really should check it out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 241
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 14/9/2011 1:57:05 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

(it's Good Morning)

No, it's Ohayo, you racist. It's also fantastic, hilarious and brilliantly-observed slice of life dramedy.

Next one is Cure and that's also pretty good. Not as good as Pulse though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 242
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 14/9/2011 7:54:56 PM   
Deviation

Watch it swords, it's a perfect entry for Ozu. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 243
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 14/9/2011 7:57:27 PM   
elab49

A lovely film and a nice choice. I hope you enjoy exploring Ozu further

I'd rank Cure above Pulse, probably. I'd have to watch them back to back to decide, though. But with the likes of Bright Future and Tokyo Sonata and Seance, it's hard to choose a favourite. I see he's heading back to TV next. ALthough it's more of an HBO equivalent so plenty of leeway I think. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 244
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 17/9/2011 5:05:59 PM   
Deviation

A string of unusual murders are going around Tokyo and there is evidence that a third party is involved, influencing the people to kill others in the oddest of ways. Takabe Kenichi is the one investigating the murders and the possible suspect but as he goes along with the investigation, his own sanity becomes at stake. Some questions are answered while others remain a mystery, the film is disjointed nature offers a perfect psychological view of the character as what he considers normal is shattered around him by the apparently supernatural powers around him, leading to surreal and horrific visions and possible hallucinations while making a great deal of uncertainty. Images are seen but not explained and will never be, any safe connection with knowledge, security and the natural is broken and Kenichi (a feeling that is felt on the viewer) is lost. It reeks with atmosphere, Kurosawa's distant shots add effectively to coldness and horror of the scene and the only two pieces of soundtrack are effectively used (one of which is ironically cheery). There's also the rather brilliant sociological and psychological aspect as well. Also, it is miles ahead of Pulse.

Best Bit: OH NO HIS WIFE HAS COMMITTED SUICIDEwaitWHAT?!
Next Up: The one thing worse Micheal Bay's Pearl Harbor, stomach cancer.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 17/9/2011 5:08:39 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 245
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 17/9/2011 5:25:53 PM   
swordsandsandals

82. is too low.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 246
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 17/9/2011 5:26:29 PM   
swordsandsandals

and by that I mean your clues are so obvious its pointless. Like you.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 247
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 18/9/2011 1:21:37 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

A string of unusual murders are going around Tokyo and there is evidence that a third party is involved, influencing the people to kill others in the oddest of ways. Takabe Kenichi is the one investigating the murders and the possible suspect but as he goes along with the investigation, his own sanity becomes at stake. Some questions are answered while others remain a mystery, the film is disjointed nature offers a perfect psychological view of the character as what he considers normal is shattered around him by the apparently supernatural powers around him, leading to surreal and horrific visions and possible hallucinations while making a great deal of uncertainty. Images are seen but not explained and will never be, any safe connection with knowledge, security and the natural is broken and Kenichi (a feeling that is felt on the viewer) is lost. It reeks with atmosphere, Kurosawa's distant shots add effectively to coldness and horror of the scene and the only two pieces of soundtrack are effectively used (one of which is ironically cheery). There's also the rather brilliant sociological and psychological aspect as well. Also, it is miles ahead of Pulse.

I'm guessing that line is a late addition to the review?

I think the atmosphere in Pulse takes what was done here to nerve-wracking extremes but this often feels more intimate. Thinking about it some more I'm still happy ranking Cure higher. But I do feel a pretty strong connection to Bright Future, even though that's often left behind these two.

WHat did you think of Tokyo Sonata Dev?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 248
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 18/9/2011 2:57:42 PM   
rawlinson

A couple of good choices, the next one is, as Swords says, far too low. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 249
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 18/9/2011 4:13:27 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I'm guessing that line is a late addition to the review?

It is.

quote:

I think the atmosphere in Pulse takes what was done here to nerve-wracking extremes but this often feels more intimate.

Pulse does have a great atmosphere but I do have some problems with the characters and the ghosts themselves who can turn a great moment into something rather silly.

quote:

Thinking about it some more I'm still happy ranking Cure higher. But I do feel a pretty strong connection to Bright Future, even though that's often left behind these two.

WHat did you think of Tokyo Sonata Dev?

Not seen neither but I'm very interested in them.

quote:

A couple of good choices, the next one is, as Swords says, far too low. 

Yeah but swords likes Forrest Gump, why should I care?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 250
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 4:22:08 PM   
Deviation

Ikiru is one of those films that actually enriches the soul and mind while watching it (better than The Matrix sequels, I might say). It might not be novel in its existentialist examination of life and death and it's possibly not even the best to deal with such a theme but it is certainly one of the finest examples of a film that takes such a theme and presents it in such a heartbreaking and thought-provoking manner. Ikiru starts with Kenji Watanabe discovering that he is going to die in a less than a year. Watanabe, a widower has worked in a monotonous bureaucratic for thirty years and lives with his son and daughter in law who only care about his pension, is obviously devastated but after much sadness and deliberation finally finds a meaning for his life in the form of a plan to build a children's playground. It's a very sad watch for most of the running time and great accliam has to go to Kurosawa and Shimura for achieving so well to channel both Watanabe's sadness and achievement. An incredible moment features Watanabe crushed in a bar, as he sadly sings a song about the brevity of life mostly consists of a close-up to Watanabe's face and Watanabe in that scene alone all the sadness of the film is portrayed. Kurosawa's stylish direction also helps in other moments, as Watanabe slowly walks on a street as all the life around speeds up around him. His attempts to find happiness in a much younger woman fail and give the wrongest of impressions, further showing how distant his family is from him. Then finally, Watanabe finds a meaning in a playground project. There, in an almost shocking transition, the film jumps to his funeral as the Watanabe's fellow employees discuss how the playground was made, where we see how Watanabe sees his lowest point and makes it his greatest. It's filled with many emotionally stirring scenes, it's both uplifting and devastating, both haunting and warm and it is one of the greatest humanist tales ever told on screen (or better, that I've seen). Add to that the social criticism on bureaucracy which is wittily told, Kurosawa's classy direction, Shimizu's excellent performance, the way the plot never steeps into wanton sentimentality, the great script filled with lines of wisdom, the stunning cinematography and it becomes one of the greatest films ever made that can greatly overcome its minor flaws.

Best Bit: Look at the dvd box cover above.
Next Up: Baby Geniuses.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 27/9/2011 4:23:45 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 251
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 4:26:37 PM   
matty_b

Overrated, boring and pretentious.

lol joke it's brilliant.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 252
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 4:44:35 PM   
Deviation

Fuck off...

... oh wait that's a joke lol.

OMG HERE'S AN SUB-LIST: The Movies that would have made the list had I seen them earlier.

- - Au Revior Les Enfants set in Chile during the Allende's term and ends with the Chilean coup de'etat. Probably better than the French classic becuase of its portrayal of the Chilean political and social sphere of that era and the ever present problematic nature of Chile's education which resonates till today.

- (Ashes of Time Redux) One of the most beautiful looking movies ever made and also one of the greatest. Also, it's meant to be felt, not understood.

- Review coming soon on Top 100.

- - It's really good.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 27/9/2011 4:54:02 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 253
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 4:47:45 PM   
matty_b

Hey, I watched Ashes of Time Redux last month and I really liked it.

Do you believe in co-incidences?

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 254
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 4:51:28 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Do you believe in co-incidences?

Yes. I think you should abandon your family and live with me.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 255
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 4:53:49 PM   
matty_b

OK, deal.

[image][/image]

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 256
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 5:03:04 PM   
Deviation

And thus, a beautiful romance begins.

Can I recommend more people to watch Machuca? It's excellent.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 257
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 5:10:46 PM   
directorscut

The original version is a masterpiece but the Redux removes several great scenes and music cues.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 258
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 5:21:39 PM   
Deviation

Yeah I've heard. Sadly this is the only version I found but on the bright it has new cues by Yo-Yo Ma, which is always a great thing. 

quote:

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 259
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 10:26:59 PM   
swordsandsandals

I've seen the Redux, too, as it came in a boxset. It was pretty good but In the Mood is still the best Wong Kar Wai film I've seen.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 260
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 10:27:35 PM   
rawlinson

What other WKW have you seen, Swords?

Post #: 261
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 10:30:17 PM   
swordsandsandals

In the Mood for Love - 4.5/5
Ashes of Time Redux - 4/5
Chungking Express - 3/5 (although that's a high 3, and likely to go up on repeat viewings)
Drive - 4/5 (although he was posing as this Danish guy when directing this one)

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 262
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 10:32:56 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Give Fallen Angels and 2046 a try.

Post #: 263
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 10:35:24 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Well next up is the other one in my boxset, but I can't remember what that's called, and my DVD shelf is currently about 3 paces away so I can't be bothered to go and look.

Oh, Happy Together, maybe?

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 264
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 10:44:20 PM   
directorscut

Happy Together is easily his weakest film. It's just two unlikable guys bickering at each other for 90 minutes.

And no, they're not unlikable because they're gay. They're just unlikable and happen to be gay. I know you were thinking that swordandsandals.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 265
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 27/9/2011 10:51:10 PM   
Rhubarb

Bit defensive.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 266
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 28/9/2011 9:37:50 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Well next up is the other one in my boxset, but I can't remember what that's called, and my DVD shelf is currently about 3 paces away so I can't be bothered to go and look.

Oh, Happy Together, maybe?

That's the one.

I also have that boxset and that is also the one I have left to watch.

This is weird.

quote:

Post #: 267
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 28/9/2011 6:50:00 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Happy Together is easily his weakest film. It's just two unlikable guys bickering at each other for 90 minutes.

And no, they're not unlikable because they're gay. They're just unlikable and happen to be gay. I know you were thinking that swordandsandals.

Um, ok.

quote:

That's the one.

I also have that boxset and that is also the one I have left to watch.

This is weird.

There can only be one explanation. You are actually me.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 268
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 28/9/2011 7:52:21 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Post #: 269
RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) - 28/9/2011 11:01:50 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Deviation's Top 100 List (better than Piles' list) Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI