Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Solid!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Solid! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Solid! - 15/1/2012 12:37:25 AM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Having just recently seen this film I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.
Its not a classic in any stretch of the imagination but it is fun and exciting none the less.

The acting is very good and has clear comic intentions,especially from Daniel Craig.
The special effects are worth while in mixing a perfect blend of stereo-type sci-fi with a slightly less grounded Western backdrop.
The plot is basic enough but does have it fair share of little twists and turns,while it also has comical and blantant 'cheese'(cringeworthy) moments.

Another good family film,with a taste of homour along the way.

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 15/1/2012 12:38:22 AM >

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 61
RE: Solid! - 15/1/2012 7:46:14 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Sense of humour you mean? I'd stop eating those doughnuts if I were you.

There weren't any 'cringeworthy' moments in the film. Some revisiting of old tropes but nothing to make one's body shiver in protest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I saw "Blockbuster Blunder" and thought they were mkaing a new film about Ed Milliband!
For the record, I haven't seen the film.

Then again, Ed Milliband being cast as a lone ranger or alien would be apt. It goes with his politics.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 15/1/2012 7:49:49 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 62
RE: Solid! - 15/1/2012 8:46:40 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Sense of humour you mean? I'd stop eating those doughnuts if I were you.

There weren't any 'cringeworthy' moments in the film. Some revisiting of old tropes but nothing to make one's body shiver in protest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I saw "Blockbuster Blunder" and thought they were mkaing a new film about Ed Milliband!
For the record, I haven't seen the film.

Then again, Ed Milliband being cast as a lone ranger or alien would be apt. It goes with his politics.

You saying the 'indians and white boy cowboys team up' wasnt cringeworthy?
And the End when the humans won didnt remind you out of a certain famous sci-fi ending.
God when I heard the horns and drums I was certain I was going to see some blooming Ewoks banging the drums of the dead alien species heads.

But I still liked it.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 63
RE: Solid! - 15/1/2012 10:11:51 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Slightly saccharine if I had to put a label on it but far from 'cringeworthy'. Perhaps tropeworthy (sic). As for the ending, I would only have been worried if they had replaced the final image of Ford with his younger self. At least someone's ventured into a fairly new genre and I think it worked superbly.

May I have one of your doughnuts?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 15/1/2012 10:12:09 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 64
RE: Solid! - 16/1/2012 7:23:18 AM   
jonson

Maybe I've not seen many bad films this year, but that was the most tedious 2 hours I've spent watching a film for over a year. Awful, I cant even be arsed to say why, just watch it for yourself. In fact don't.
I can't even give it 1 star as there were no redeeming features in the entire film. Not one.

0/5

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 65
Stop Moaning! - 19/1/2012 9:52:45 PM   
dannyfletch

just for the recored I thought I'd rate this again as I feel some people are slating it unfairly! Just because they were expecting big, dumb, loud Independance Day on horseback! It's a great little western that happens to have aliens as the bad guys instead of Indians! Plus it's great to see Ford can still cut it when it comes to action!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 66
RE: Cowboys & Aliens - 23/1/2012 4:55:12 PM   
craig888

While the film wasn't a masterpiece, it certainly held my attention enough for me to call it entertaining. I think it could've potentially been a bit better in places, particularly in terms of it's pace, some parts felt quite slow and stretched. However this did allow the film to develope it's characters and give the veiwer some kind of connection to them. All in all an enjoyable film, but not without its flaws.

Post #: 67
Cowboys & Aliens Review - 2/2/2012 6:06:55 PM   
the film man

Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford are as dependably appealing as ever, but they're let down by director Jon Favreau's inability to smooth Cowboys & Aliens' jarring tonal shifts.

Post #: 68
Cowboys and Aliens - 23/2/2012 10:43:27 PM   
lynnshep

Decent film. Okay CGI. Okay acting. Wasted a bunch of great actors. No plot.

Post #: 69
Cowboys and Aliens - 23/2/2012 10:43:28 PM   
lynnshep

Decent film. Okay CGI. Okay acting. Wasted a bunch of great actors. No plot.

Post #: 70
Bland, uninteresting...no great characters...poor aliens.. - 25/7/2012 3:30:08 PM   
discodave101

Everything about this film was poor, especially when you consider the talent involved in writing/directing and acting. Not entertaining at all. I only just made it to the end without giving up. Just can't believe how below average it was. Dire! Avoid!

Post #: 71
Cowboys & Aliens - 11/11/2012 3:41:50 AM   
norgizfox

It gets points for atmosphere and visuals, but that's about it. Cowboys & Aliens doesn't have enough action to be fun, nor does it have enough plot to be interesting. It's not as terrible as Wild Wild West, but it still proves that sci-fi and western do not mix well.

Post #: 72
RE: Cowboys & Aliens - 26/11/2012 2:08:00 PM   
Vitamin F

A very, very below-average sci-fi adventure.
More violent than I was expecting for this sort of film, and a real mish-mash of unoriginal ideas, but...this has to have the WORST colour grading I've seen on a major fx blockbuster. I watched the BR Dir Cut and fiddled with my settings thinking it was my set up, but it's the film that's at fault. All the dark or dimly lit scenes are so contrast-free it 's like the colour grading was done by Dulux with a hand roller. Bloody awful picture quality at times, the backgrounds are too bright and it's like watching through a dense coloured fog.

(in reply to norgizfox)
Post #: 73
RE: Cowboys & Aliens - 26/11/2012 2:29:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I was very disappointed with this film. The premise sounded really awesome and the original comic upon which this was based was quite fun. But i felt very let down by the film. I agree with the above post; the colour was all fucked up. The scenes in the dark were unintelligable at times. The aliens themselves were shite. Hell E.T was more scary! They should've stuck with the comics idea of the aliens which showed them far more diverse than potrayed. In the comic it showed the lead heroine revealing her true alien form at the end, whereas in the film she's as exciting as some freshly discovered fossilised coprolite.

It had its moments, but it could've been so much better.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 74
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Solid! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI