Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 11/3/2012 2:18:22 PM   
DaleLawson

I really enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes as it took a fresh twist on the Planet of the Apes story. Was this remake needed though? Probably not. But the fact still stands that I couldn’t take my eyes away from the screen. The acting skills of Andy Serkis and John Lithgow were phenomenal, Patrick Doyle’s soundtrack outstanding and the motion captured apes story for freedom unpredictably entertaining.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 181
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 31/3/2012 2:42:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Another film I've got round to seeing.

And I enjoyed it alot.
Having been a fan of the Charlton Heston classics I was abit cautious in how they were going to reprise this films 'Ape' begining,and what route they were likely going to tell this origin story,but the route they took was a good and wise one.

The Director,Robert Wyatt, has made a film that combines both logical ideas and that of fictional ideas,and combines both reasonably well.
The acting is good and solid,especially James Franco who really grows into the film through its varying stages,special mention must also go to John Lithgow who creates a realistic tone in the film with his unfortunete sickness (Alzheimers).

And though I have slight issues with the appearance of Cesar and the Apes in general ie they were given,in my eyes,a very overly Human appearance,and the over-the-top english accent portrayed by David Oyelowo (token black in South Park springs to mind),I must stress everything else was in the Film rather solid.

4/5

(in reply to DaleLawson)
Post #: 182
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 1/4/2012 8:17:48 PM   
Diggler

One of my favourite films from last year. Never got to catch it at the cinema and rented it not expecting to enjoy it that much, even though the majority of reviews I had read were positive.

Checked online afterwards and was pleased to see a follow up looks to have been given the go ahead, although it's been pretty quiet since.

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 183
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 4/4/2012 8:01:20 AM   
Phubbs

The only 'Apes' film I have seen is the Burton 're-imagining' and I quite like that version as it was visually stunning and a good fun adventure, this new film right from the start I could tell was gonna be a different animal altogether..no pun intended.

The effects on the apes at first during the character build up and introduction of 'Caesar' was slightly off in my opinion, it was good but not 'wow!' the faces did look abit plastic and too obviously cgi, but as the film progresses and the apes become more aware with Caesar growing in intelligence it seems the cgi gets better as well hehe. By the time Caesar is really plotting his escape and takeover the cgi on his face and whole body movement is really quite impressive. This goes for all the other chimps and apes too especially the gorilla and orangutan which really look fantastic up close along with body motion and hand movements.

The film plot wise is decent and a good ride, it starts slow no doubting that, there is allot of character and story building with the experiments and slow evolution of Caesar, at first I was getting alittle twitchy I must admit but the story does hold you just about and I did find myself really getting into it quite quickly.

Really the human side to the film is rather boring to be honest with Franco and Pinto not really gelling whilst Cox and Lithgow are merely background props (good props I might add) and disappear very quickly but you don't mind, its all about the apes and for most of the run time your just itching for the apes to break free and kick some homosapien ass!
When they do its well worth your money as the finale will get your heart pounding as you cheer for the apes to reach freedom, the damn humans are in the way but luckily we see some great man stomping but with intelligent action.

What was impressive was how Caesar would not let his fellow primates kill humans needlessly, of course afew do bite the dust but if Caesar was around he didn't want it, wether that is to show he has evolved and won't sink to that level or the creators just wanted a family friendly film rating I don't know ;)
The finale is really the cherry on the icing on the cake, a full blown Hominidae rampage through San Francisco with lots of very well realised chimps one gorilla and an orangutan. It is good that the film doesn't resort to lots of guns and masses of apes being killed, there is a small element of that but it doesn't get over blown into silliness which is good to see. One or two moments of Hollywood craziness perhaps like when the gorilla leaps onto the chopper from the Golden gate bridge and the use (again) of that iconic piece of dialog, does that really need to be used again simply because its an 'Apes' film?

One of the best films of the year so far for sure, actually been made with some thought and intelligence behind it, fits in well with the franchise originals, a solid musical score to emit emotion and heights of achievement and has a good ending, albeit slightly going for a roaring iconic '2001: Space Odyssey' grandiose type ending :) kinda does it too.

(in reply to DaleLawson)
Post #: 184
rise of the apes - 19/4/2012 3:22:55 AM   
antosh25

I thought the apes were gonna take overthe world at the end, not a small forest ! Deserves a sequel.

Post #: 185
Very good - 8/5/2012 11:33:39 AM   
mentat72

Excellent apes, very well explained and realised. The intelligence of the creatures is very well realised, looking forward to more if they make them.

Post #: 186
RE: Very good - 16/5/2012 9:43:59 AM   
Sotto Voce

Finally got around to seeing it.

Though entertaining and well done, I was a bit disappointed. The film was about half, or even a third of the story I wanted.
It sets up the rise of the apes, but I was hoping to actually see it. I imagine that's coming in the next film. Years later humans have been decimated by the virus, the intelligent apes have proliferated and the two start to compete. Caesar wants coexistence, but a faction of apes (presumably lead by that nasty looking chimp) wants to dominate the humans. If that's right, it kind of follows the originals chronoligically. Rise is equivelant to Conquest, the next one is equivelant to Battle, maybe the third is equivelant to the original.

One glaring flaw- the unsubtle use of famous lines from the original.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to mentat72)
Post #: 187
- 24/7/2012 3:06:06 PM   
danfacey711

This film could have been terrible, but instead it was something of a great addition to a somewhat outdated franchise. Obviously, the original Planet of the Apes is a classic, but this film sets up so much potential for future sequels, with a good storyline, brilliant effects and a great cast. A pleasant surprise.

Post #: 188
RE: - 31/8/2012 9:07:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

Watching at the moment - pretty much beats every summer blockbuster this year.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to danfacey711)
Post #: 189
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 2/9/2012 1:34:54 AM   
Ref

Very much enjoyed this film. Like many have stated before, the apes are the stars of the show. Sheer brilliant acting from Serkis, the CGI was fantastic, I do freely admit to 'aww'-ing seeing baby Caesar . Only downside was the 1D humans, although I thought Franco's character was (somewhat) well written.

4/5

EDIT: need to engage brain before posting

< Message edited by Ref -- 2/9/2012 1:58:06 AM >

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 190
Best Prequel ever! - 9/4/2013 9:02:14 PM   
Ralph25

The film suprised me, when it was announced, I did not trust a lot. The 1968 classic is a Mastepiece, and over the years have been made ​​horrible remakes, and I thought this would be no different. After I saw the movie, I apologize to Ruppert Wart and Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa. The movie is fantastic, it's one of the best reboots ever made, is super loyal to the 1968 classic stories and characters, but also focuses on reality, what would happen if super intelligent monkeys started a revolution against humans today? The monkeys are not smart suddenly because of magic or steroids, it was all genetics, and it was not on purpose that any scientist wanting to be famous starts creating intelligent apes, it was all an accident (see the movie and will understand better).
After an accident in the lab because of an experiment of a medicine, all the monkeys are killed, and a scientist finds a baby ape and brings him to save his life. After a few days the scientist begins to see that the little monkey has an advanced intelligence. Months pass and the monkey grows to a fantastic evolution, that is where the movie touches a very good point, evolution. After a domestic accident, the poor monkey is taken away, and we see al the beginning of that evolution becomes revolution.
The cast is solid, James Franco is an actor who is fantastic here, but he is not the main character, but Andy Serkys that is the primate Ceasar. Another point where the film does a good touch, does not focus attention on the human but in primates. The monkeys are computerized and soo much realistics, Andy Serkis becomes a monkey in person. And he is a BADASS monkey.
Rise of the Planet of the apes is fantastic, not disappointed, just thought it could have been longer. And the sequels are confirmed, we'll see if there do not disappoint.

Post #: 191
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 21/8/2013 3:36:42 AM   
AnamorphicWidescreen

This is a revised post that I made on another board the year Rise of the POTA came out:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an amazing film - even though it came out two years ago this month, I haven't seen a movie since that has moved me the way this has. IMHO, this is the best Apes film so far - and, this is coming from a fan of all the previous films:

Great beginning, i.e. the capture of the Apes in the remote jungle - and it was very ironic that, in a sense, the beginning of the end for humanity started in a place far from civilization.

The CGI on the Apes was truly incredible - amazingly real movement & expressions - You really felt these were actual creatures, and not something created by/in a Computer. And, as I mentioned, the CGI re: the Apes in the film was far, far superior to the CGI creatures/characters I've seen in any other film, period. Caesar obviously stole the show, but the other Apes in the film were amazing as well, including the main Gorilla, the Orangatang, and the creepy-looking scarred Chimpanzee.

I was very impressed by the progression of Caesar from cute Chimp to the much more menacing adult Ape - the passage of time when he was climbing the tree in the forest was particularly effective; and, the later scene when he turned around and suddenly growled at the barking dog was both shocking & chilling, since you didn't see it coming.

The scientific explanation as to how the Apes became intelligent was very well-thought out and, from a fictional movie standpoint, completely plausible IMHO. The idea that Caesar was the most intelligent since his mother had been injected with the anti-alzheimer's toxin?! and he had been born with it already in his bloodstream made perfect sense. And, the later scene when he exposed the rest of the Apes in the compound was plausible also, given the idea that the toxin/virus was also shown to be airborne. (Note that in all of the previous Apes films, there was no reason given as to how/why the Apes became intelligent).

I liked how Caesar was at first bullied by the Apes in the compound until he later asserted himself - this established him as a leader & led to leading the Apes to freedom.

The sadistic worker at the compound was great as the guy you love to hate, and his death was classic. I felt his "Take your Stinking Paws off me..." line was very effective, and was a nice homage to the original film.

The "NO!" said by Caesar was a great jolt, since you weren't expecting this - very well-done.

The battle sequence at the end in the city streets and on the bridge were very well-done and plausible. I was not expecting a full-blown military-type battle with tanks & heavy machine guns against the Apes, so this small-scale battle made perfect sense in the context of what would probably happen if a group of 20-50 Apes escaped from a zoo/compound; The authorities would first try to contain this with the local police force/SWAT teams before calling in the military. The sequence when the Apes used the bus as a shield was excellent - their new intelligence really showed through here.

I enjoyed the scene when Caesar came riding through the smoke on the horse (on the bridge) - very effective & unexpected. I'm guessing this was an homage to the original film(s) as well.

I liked how Caesar was a nuanced character - he was not depicted as being completely vicious & violent, since he showed remorse when he bit the finger of the neighbor, and he also kept the gorilla from taking out the SWAT team member. Yet, the character was not always compassionate either, since he let the head of the research facility die when the helicopter fell off the bridge. I kind of saw him as someone who ended up being forced to do what he did, i.e. fight back when cornered & eventually lead his people to freedom.

The scene when the gorilla jumped at the helicopter was great (even though you knew this was coming from the trailer).

The virus that made the Apes intelligent & which is also presumably going to kill off a lot of humans was a very good plot-point, and made perfect sense in the context of the film itself; it made the eventual downfall of man & the eventual take-over of by Apes much more plausible. I.e., if the virus is already starting to take effect at the time of the Apes' escape, it will already have started spreading at this point, & humanity will soon be dealing with this horror rather than worrying about the group of Apes living in the forest. And, when the humans are dead/dying, the Apes will eventually take over.

Going along with the above, I also saw this toxin/virus as a classic case of "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"- The scientist (Franco) had completely altruistic reasons for making this substance, i.e. to treat Alzheimer's patients and give them back their quality of life. However, the head of the research facility where the scientists worked was primarily interested in the bottom line (i.e., $), and this ultimately led to humanity's downfall.

All in all, I really loved the film & am glad it did so well both critically & financially. In fact, there's not ONE thing I think should've been done differently, or been changed.

Now, I'm really looking forward to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes next summer...

< Message edited by AnamorphicWidescreen -- 21/8/2013 12:52:20 PM >

(in reply to Ralph25)
Post #: 192
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 26/9/2013 11:36:17 PM   
StevenKThomas

Loved this movie. Really like the aspect of focusing on the fast progression of evolution. No it may not have been physically, but mentally the transition is rather fascinating. The CGI behind this is incredible. Either that or the circus has been holding out on us with some serious shows.

www.youtube.com/TheSStandsFor

www.twitter.com/StevenKThomas

Post #: 193
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 15/12/2013 10:47:01 PM   
Biggus

A reboot of the much-loved Planet of the Apes franchise was not going to be an easy task. Just ask Tim Burton. After all, his visually striking 2001 attempt at resurrecting the Apes mythology not only gave birth to the risible term ‘re-imagining’ but with its gormless performance from Mark Wahlberg and undermining plot choices (like humans not being mute thugs – if they’re still intelligent why are they so easily ruled?) he almost nailed the series stone dead in one fell swoop

Almost.

British director Rupert Wyatt had only one screen credit to his name (2008′s impressive The Escapist) so to be given the task of handling one of cinema’s most beloved franchises was quite a risk. However one of the key strengths of Wyatt’s debut feature was the amount of humanity he brought to characters you wouldn’t ordinarily root for. So, experience aside, this actually made Wyatt an inspired choice for the job. The result is a spectacular sci-fi/action/drama which impresses more with each viewing.

One of the strongest elements of the film is how it builds the credibility of the apes’ backstory without ever being totally ludicrous. Yes we are most definitely in a cinematic universe here but thanks to the stunning use of technology and some smart casting/performances, not only do you believe that apes could take over a major metropolitan city but you also want them to. The film takes its time to build the story, carefully sowing its plot seeds in a way which, while you always know where things are heading, you’re never quite sure how. The eventual revolution, when it comes, is a sustained, remarkably staged set-piece culminating in a showdown on the Golden Gate bridge which remains one of the most memorable and well-executed action sequences in recent years. It is clever, thrilling and utterly stirring.

Now a film such as this could have oh-so-easily fallen apart. Firstly if the technology wasn’t up to scratch then it would surely have been a disaster. Thankfully it wasn’t and the ever-impressive Weta Digital improved further upon the work they started with Gollum and take performance capture to the next level. The apes are brilliantly realised beings all with their own identifiable personalities. Secondly if we were to believe that just one ape could rally his fellow simians into an uprising which would overthrow the human race then we would need an actor of immense calibre to don the spotted leotard and convince us. And it is here where Rise of the Planet of the Apes’ ace in the hole lies. Andy Serkis is as much a revelation as an actor here as he was with the aforementioned Gollum. Complemented perfectly by his CG make-up, Serkis delivers all the frustration, all the smarts and all the rage required to make Caesar the pivotal figure he needs to be. It’s a remarkable performance which never leaves the viewer questioning Caesar’s plight as his state of mind at any point during the film is perfectly conveyed by the Serkis/Weta machine. Oscar need to catch-up fast here. The scene in which a defiant Caesar finally decides enough is enough and stands up to the sadistic chimp handler played by Tom Felton is real heart-stopper.

As if all the relevant boxes weren’t ticked in re-establishing the mythology of the series, the end-credits sequence featuring one until-now minor character leaves a great sting in the tail to bring further coherence to the oncoming ape-ocalypse.

So with the franchise firmly back on track and a sequel on the way, Rupert Wyatt can consider Rise of the Planet of the Apes a bona fide success and has given the Apes series a reputation to once more be proud of.

Re-imagine that.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to DaleLawson)
Post #: 194
- 24/7/2014 10:29:16 PM   
livapr99

I love this film! It's perfectly told and stunningly emotional, but also full of references to the original film. I loved every minute and I thought that the acting was brilliant. Plus, it made me want to reconsider to original as I didn't think much of it on my first viewing. Wonderful reboot!

Post #: 195
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI