Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Great Film!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Great Film! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Great Film! - 1/10/2011 4:15:50 PM   
darth silas

Havnt seen the film.Not really inclined as i find James Franco to be very annoying.Might give it a rent when it comes out on disc.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 151
good movie. - 1/10/2011 7:44:52 PM   
soulfood

Actor James Franco is very good in this movie & CGI is very.
Goods as well.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 152
RE: good movie. - 9/10/2011 7:15:37 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I'd rate it three stars, it's worth a watch but not one for my collection.  

(in reply to soulfood)
Post #: 153
RE: good movie. - 9/10/2011 9:11:51 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Harsh??

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 154
RE: good movie. - 9/10/2011 11:00:01 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

Harsh??

Three stars is a positive score.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 155
RE: good movie. - 9/10/2011 11:59:54 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Harsh??

There´s levels of positivity!Just thought 3 stars is an average film,and this is so much better than that.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 156
RE: good movie. - 10/10/2011 12:31:55 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Harsh??

There´s levels of positivity!Just thought 3 stars is an average film,and this is so much better than that.

I think it *is* an average film for much of its running time. I liked the film a lot, but it only rises above typical blockbuster average-ness on one or two occasions, and several of the performances (Cox, Pinto and Draco) are bloody awful.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 157
RE: good movie. - 10/10/2011 8:28:53 AM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Harsh??

I think it *is* an average film for much of its running time. I liked the film a lot, but it only rises above typical blockbuster average-ness on one or two occasions, and several of the performances (Cox, Pinto and Draco) are bloody awful.

Yes they are,but this is about Caeser and to a lesser extent Franco.The former is brilliant,and puts everything else in the movie to the background.The latter is decent enough too.
I still think this is way better than average though.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 158
RE: good movie. - 11/10/2011 5:04:25 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Three stars is good.  

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 159
Apes Will Rise - 25/10/2011 10:39:28 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

Brilliant prequel with great special effects from WETA and has a great story!!!! WAT DA FILM

Post #: 160
Awesome Special Features In Blu Ray - 16/12/2011 3:59:49 PM   
Bighousewill

Worth buying for the special features to see the performance capture and how they made photo real Apes, and showcases the genius of Andy Serkis.

Post #: 161
Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 19/12/2011 1:49:44 AM   
Excalibur667

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Rupert Wyatt, 2011) had a lot to live up to after the success of the original saga in the 70s. In my opinion it lived up to the reputation of its predecessor; unlike Tim Burton’s adaptation as many people believe. Rise of the Planet of the Apes follows the character of Will Rodman (James Franco) as he attempts to create a drug that has the ability to cure Alzheimer’s. By testing this drug on apes it improves their intelligence and Will is forced to take a baby monkey, Caesar (Andy Serkis), home after an unfortunate accident at the lab. The film then continues to follow Will and Caesar’s relationship until the inevitable rise of the apes.

Many of the actors’ performances in this film are unbelievable. Andy Serkis, king of monkey motion capture stars as Caesar, the eventual leader of the ape rebellion. He has outdone himself once again as he behaves, through facial expressions and body movements, just like a chimpanzee. Without letting Serkis take all the glory, the other motion capture actors provided thoroughly life-like apes for the film. Through their believable performances we are lead to believe from the start of the film that they are in-fact real apes acting alongside James Franco. Franco’s acting is as respectable as always, even more so in this film as he faced the difficulty of acting alongside Serkis, and many others, in a motion capture suits. The one actor that deserves recognition is John Lithgow, who gave an emotional and worryingly realistic portrayal of a father with Alzheimer’s disease. Finally Tom Felton, who we all know as Draco Malfoy, featured in his first film since the end of the Harry Potter franchise. Throughout the movie he delivers lines that had been said by Charlton Heston in the original Ape films, and although not doing these quotes justice he still presents the audience with a dislikeable antagonist.

This movie’s plot is a massive talking point for Planet

Post #: 162
Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 2/1/2012 9:46:47 PM   
the film man

Led by Rupert Wyatt's stylish direction, some impressive special effects, and a mesmerizing performance by Andy Serkis, Rise of the Planet of the Apes breathes unlikely new life into an almost dead franchise.

Post #: 163
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 14/1/2012 1:37:52 AM   
Spaldron

This film just keeps getting better. Seen it three times, need to see it more. I demand a sequel!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 164
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 14/1/2012 3:39:14 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Absolutely loved this film and I can't count the number of times I had goosebumps. The Apes were incredibly well created and (as I think I also read up thread somewhere) were more characteristic/ believable even, than the actors themselves, which I concur with also. Immense film 4/5....

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 14/1/2012 3:41:21 AM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 165
RE: good movie. - 14/1/2012 1:17:31 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Harsh??

Don't agree. It should be measured like this....

5 - incredible
4- very good
3 - good
2- average
1 - rubbish

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 166
RE: good movie. - 14/1/2012 1:21:24 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Harsh??

Yes they are,but this is about Caeser and to a lesser extent Franco.The former is brilliant,and puts everything else in the movie to the background.The latter is decent enough too.
I still think this is way better than average though.

That in essence is my problem with the film. Yes the Caesar stuff is very impressive, but that shouldn't be used to mask the sheer mediocrity of the human aspect. As Adambatman pretty much suggested, a number of the roles are little more than a cardboard cutout - casing points Frieda Pinto & Tom Felton.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 167
- 23/1/2012 5:52:19 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Solid movie. Although the chimps/apes/etc. are definitely the stars of the movie, James Franco's effort really dragged this down a notch for me. That said, Caeser/Serkis was amazing. An enjoyable watch.

Post #: 168
GOOD MOVIE...... - 4/2/2012 10:52:06 PM   
chrisdagnall

ENJOYABLE STORY, AND FRANCO NOT THAT BAD....

Post #: 169
RE: GOOD MOVIE...... - 19/2/2012 6:35:55 PM   
Super Hans

I finally got round to watching this last night - a very good film, very superior blockbuster fare by today's standard. Good mix of human drama, action and thrills. James Franco, John Lithgow and Brian Cox all pretty good, and Andy Serkis was again excellent in the kind of niche role he's carved out for himself. Effects were fantastic!

Apart from the Tim Burton remake, I haven't seen any of the other Planet of the Apes films, but for me it was a very satisfying origin story.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to chrisdagnall)
Post #: 170
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 22/2/2012 1:35:19 AM   
hamsterminator

Having just watched this on dvd, am I the only one who found this film thoroughly disappointing? You can surely only enjoy this film if you suspend disbelief for around 80 minutes and have no understanding of physics or nature.

Perhaps i'm being a little harsh- but the original Planet of the Apes is a classic science fiction which made you think outside the box and inspired generations of sci-fi fanatics. This film does nothing of the sort- it is in essence a hollywood action film masked over a classic apocalypse story. Science creates superdrug, man turns out to be at fault, creates his own doom while creating a "monster" who will replace him. Add to this helpings of running through sheet glass (count how many windows break during this film and you will run into the hundreds) breaking metal bars with bare hands, jumping from 3 story buildings onto the streets- are these Apes intelligent, or superheros?

The only saving grace was the interaction between Caesar and his foster family. When watching these scenes it was easy to be caught up in the story, but as soon as something "exciting" was happening the film totally lost me. Either make it a ridiculous film with explosions, girls and no regards to reality like Transformers, or make it a cerebral social struggle between different cultures, as the original was. Don't try to blend the two together.

Post #: 171
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 22/2/2012 1:35:27 AM   
hamsterminator

double post

< Message edited by hamsterminator -- 22/2/2012 1:36:28 AM >

Post #: 172
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review - 22/2/2012 10:33:46 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

Absolutely loved this film and I can't count the number of times I had goosebumps. The Apes were incredibly well created and (as I think I also read up thread somewhere) were more characteristic/ believable even, than the actors themselves, which I concur with also. Immense film 4/5....

WHAT!!? I'm beginning to wonder what the hell film I actually watched!

Hamsterminator welcome, and no you're not the only one...

"...did you just see a real bright light?"

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 173
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 22/2/2012 11:00:14 AM   
jobloffski

Would have preferred a bit more subtlety myself, but then a longer film might have been incredibly prohibitive expensive due to the cost of having so many effects on screen so often.

Subtle it aint, but I think it;s pretty good anyway, and using the 'blockbuster engine' to keep it mainstream enough allows the making of a film that isn't just a 'naive scientist goes too far' film, but also a 'those who preach and desire revolution take care you are not just setting yourself to be then next in line for the position of oppressor' story, as well as sensibly focusing the story not as the story of mankind, or apekind, but simply as the story of Caesar, and via a non human character looking at the desire and need to be free, and the consequences of actions beyond me, myself and I of individuals for their whole race (ape or human).

The indiviudual moments of the film such as Caesar noticing Lithgow not using cutlery properly, Caesar growing five years older during a tree swinging montage, his use of his bedroom windonw as a symbol of hope and then destroying the symbol, then it becoming a symbol of freedom, all little brushstrokes in a pretty cool picture.

The main sweep of the film is bang bang movie pace, it's weight is in the little moments, and repeat viewings address the balance of the themes and pace of the film. First time, the first chimp being observed seems cute enough, I didn't even notice the cellar round his neck and him being tethered to the wall to be honest, but then seeing it again, such things are differently tones, and ad a great deal of bitter-sweetness to the cutesy early scenes.

The human roles are often sketchy, but that's no problem really. Whether because by, or by design, the film conveys a certain truth about the viewpoint of someone trapped, or kept prisoner: life is very simple, there is your need to be free, and there is what is done to keep you otherwise. Complications dont arise until you are free, then there's more to being free than just escaping and if the film gets a fully justified sequel, that's where the funding to be more subtle with a slightly longer film may enter the arena.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to hamsterminator)
Post #: 174
RE: I don't get it.... - 23/2/2012 9:14:50 PM   
coljohnmatrix

Rented this from Lovefilm, I probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for a colleague who recommended it highly. I have to say, I'm glad I did watch it. When I heard they were making it I did think it was just going to be another pointless re-make/re-boot, but it actually was a very worthy addition to the franchise and I look forward to seeing follow ups to the film.

Before I was worried that the whole idea of a handful of intelligent apes taking over the world was a bit far-fetched, but the way they sow the seeds for the ape revolution does actually make logical sense, within the film and also within the context of the previous films. I liked the subtle nods to the space mission from the first film in particular.

There are a few bum notes, some characters are pretty one-dimensional (particularly Tom Felton's panto villian zookeeper) and a few bits that require a bit too much suspension of disbelief (e.g. apes apparently can repeatedly fly through panes of glass without sustaining injuries! Alzemiers can be cured within a few hours!) but otherwise it's a notch or two above most blockbuster fare.

4/5!

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 175
RE: I don't get it.... - 23/2/2012 9:14:57 PM   
coljohnmatrix

Rented this from Lovefilm, I probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for a colleague who recommended it highly. I have to say, I'm glad I did watch it. When I heard they were making it I did think it was just going to be another pointless re-make/re-boot, but it actually was a very worthy addition to the franchise and I look forward to seeing follow ups to the film.

Before I was worried that the whole idea of a handful of intelligent apes taking over the world was a bit far-fetched, but the way they sow the seeds for the ape revolution does actually make logical sense, within the film and also within the context of the previous films. I liked the subtle nods to the space mission from the first film in particular.

There are a few bum notes, some characters are pretty one-dimensional (particularly Tom Felton's panto villian zookeeper) and a few bits that require a bit too much suspension of disbelief (e.g. apes apparently can repeatedly fly through panes of glass without sustaining injuries! Alzemiers can be cured within a few hours!) but otherwise it's a notch or two above most blockbuster fare.

4/5!

Post #: 176
RE: I don't get it.... - 23/2/2012 9:15:15 PM   
coljohnmatrix

Quadruple post, when the website said it didn't post!

< Message edited by coljohnmatrix -- 23/2/2012 9:17:16 PM >

Post #: 177
RE: I don't get it.... - 23/2/2012 9:15:23 PM   
coljohnmatrix

< Message edited by coljohnmatrix -- 23/2/2012 9:17:59 PM >

Post #: 178
RE: I don't get it.... - 23/2/2012 9:16:12 PM   
coljohnmatrix

< Message edited by coljohnmatrix -- 23/2/2012 9:18:12 PM >

Post #: 179
Outstanding Apes - 23/2/2012 10:49:14 PM   
lynnshep

Great film. Completely unexpected treat. Great CGI, good script. Great homages to the series. Serkis stole the film. He was robbed of what should be his third Oscar (two for Gollum, one for this.)

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Great Film! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI