Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I don't get it....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I don't get it.... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I don't get it.... - 18/8/2011 8:09:14 AM   
Drew_231

Spoilers in review

So saw this last night and really enjoyed it. There are quite a few problems, and it does take a long time to get going, but overall quite fascinating and entertaining,

Obviously the highlight is the motion capture, with Sekins doing an exceptional job.
We all know what the best scene was, and its always great to hear an audience positively react to those types of character moments. My only problem was the shoehorning in of the 'dirty apes' comment. It just took me out of the scene completely which too a degree lessened the impact of the following line.

Cons of the film are as most people here have mentioned. The human characters are for the most part badly underwritten and in the case of Francos girlfriend, completely pointless. We also have characters simply dissapearing ofscreen never to be seen again (Brian Cox, Pinto). I know its about the Apes, but we still spend alot of time with the human characters, and should have more of a connection. Also Francos boss was a little too 'Im all about the money!!'.

I think there was alot left on the editing floor as well. There must have been more to the relationship between Jacobs and the one eyed ape which we just never got too see. There last scene implies some kind of relationship which we never get to see.

I thought the ending was quite smart, how they tied the virus effects on humans with the apes growing smarter. Not sure we need a sequel, but will be interesting to see where they take the story. 

On a side note, we saw a trailer for a film called 'Immortals'. What the hell was that all about?? Looked like the cheapest, 300 style knockoff ever. Awful in every way (including Mickey Rourke being in it)

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 18/8/2011 8:19:18 AM >

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 91
Agreeing with Kim Newman makes me feel dirty - 18/8/2011 4:18:25 PM   
sephiroth7

Top notch fx are the star of this. The apes show way more emotion than the actual actors and the action sequences are both hilarious and thrilling.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
Naughty monkeys... - 18/8/2011 11:42:14 PM   
bretty

Really enjoyed this one. Intelligently and satisfyingly written, this is a welcome addition to the franchise. Lots of clues and links to the series (one or two I would have missed without the Empire pointers) past and it did offer some logic about the rise of apes and the demise of humans.
There's something wrong when your sympathy is with the apes, but shows how well the film portrayed the 'humanity' of the apes.

Post #: 93
RE: Apes Will Rise Indeed! - 19/8/2011 8:24:00 AM   
bretty

Be nice to see a list of the references/homage to the original posted somewhere, I caught most of them, but has been a while since I saw the original.

(in reply to TALON1138)
Post #: 94
RE: Nouns Will Adjective - 19/8/2011 9:30:07 AM   
Invader_Ace

Absolutely loved it.
Pathos, action, spectacle.

Get it seen.

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 95
fantastic - 19/8/2011 12:01:49 PM   
SBandy

Spoilers! A film not originally on my radar, but good word of mouth made me go see it. I loved every minute of it, best movie ive seen in a long time. Only thing missing for me was a scene where Ceaser deals with the death of Lithgows character, think it would have had an impact on him.

Regarding THAT scene, I think the film makers were smart, they knew the 'dirty apes' line would draw a few laughs making what happened next all the more powerful. In the cinema I was in it stopped the laughs and made us gasp and fall silent, cant remember the last time a movie had so much control over its audience, quite genius really! 5 stars all the way.

Post #: 96
- 20/8/2011 2:20:12 AM   
tinribs27

There have been certain movies since the inception of digital effects that stand out for their use of new technology to assist the storytelling. Jurassic Park made us believe in dinosaurs. So much of The Lord of the Rings films hinged on Gollum, a CG performance-captured character. Avatar created an incredibly lush and dense alien world, populated with bizarre, photo-realistic creatures. In 2011, Rupert Wyatt's cumbersomely titled Rise of the Planet of the Apes represents the next leap forward in cinema effects. There is a human story here, but Wyatt wisely leaves it more or less in the background. and focuses the film on its strongest element: Andy Serkis as Caesar.

Rise builds audience sympathy for the ape characters right from the opening scene. Make no mistake, what happens later on in the story is our fault, the end product of insatiable human greed. The events of the film progress in a fairly by the numbers fashion, and anyone familiar at all with the Apes series knows where it's going, yet Wyatt and Serkis manage to surprise by crafting easily the most interesting and developed character of the blockbuster season, and arguably the entire year thus far. This film is all Caesar's, and the work done by Serkis and the wizards at Weta is truly remarkable. It was a risky proposition to make Caesar a completely CG character; if the effect didn't work, the whole film wouldn't work. Building on what they had done previously in The Lord of the Rings and King Kong, Weta and Serkis achieve what was though by some impossible, making Caesar and the other apes 100 percent believable, not just in look, but in emotion. Wyatt, fearlessly inviting close scrutiny of the digital characters, focuses a great deal on the eyes of the apes, and when Caesar looks at James Franco or John Lithgow, you really feel the connection between them. When the Oscar nominations are announced in January, is it possible that Serkis will get a nod for supporting actor? Probably not, but the streng

Post #: 97
Best film I have seen in ages - 22/8/2011 7:46:14 AM   
knave

Its not some dumb 5hit actionier (ie: Transformers, GI Joe etc)
and its noty a film that disappears up its own a55 (ala Nolan films) - It is a perfect mix of effects, story-telling and heart.

Film of the Year

Post #: 98
RE: Best film I have seen in ages - 22/8/2011 2:40:15 PM   
jackcarter

Saw the 'original' ROTPOTA, 'Conquest,' for the first time in years the other night and compared to 'Rise' its just laughable. Cats and dogs die out from some virus so humans turn to apes as their pets?...riiiiiiggght

i guess the next one could be a re-imagining of 'Battle' set 10-20 years later with the remains of humanity all 12 Monkeys blaming the apes for their downfall, the virus affecting the survivors so the humans slowly get dumber/mute (like in the original film) leading to nuclear war - then youd have final movie of the trilogy which would be another re-imagining of the 1968 film - the lost astronauts landing on an ape dominated earth in the far future (although thered be no need to have them think they wernt on earth for the duration of the film - maybe just the opening 10 mins or so until they see the ruined Statue of Liberty). Could work in some of 'Beneath' too (underground bomb worshipping mutants) and maybe even abit of 'Escape' (getting off the planet twist at the end?)

It’ll be like Nolan Batman, a separate series, or more accurately Superman - you got the original movies, then the failed reboot, then another go at it that gets it right..(hopefully Man of Steel will be as good a reboot as Rise of the Apes)

Itd work in reverse to the original ape series starting at the end (Conquest/Battle) and finishing on the beginning (original 68 movie)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 22/8/2011 3:46:26 PM >

(in reply to knave)
Post #: 99
RE: Best film I have seen in ages - 22/8/2011 10:18:50 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Saw the 'original' ROTPOTA, 'Conquest,' for the first time in years the other night and compared to 'Rise' its just laughable. Cats and dogs die out from some virus so humans turn to apes as their pets?...riiiiiiggght

i guess the next one could be a re-imagining of 'Battle' set 10-20 years later with the remains of humanity all 12 Monkeys blaming the apes for their downfall, the virus affecting the survivors so the humans slowly get dumber/mute (like in the original film) leading to nuclear war - then youd have final movie of the trilogy which would be another re-imagining of the 1968 film - the lost astronauts landing on an ape dominated earth in the far future (although thered be no need to have them think they wernt on earth for the duration of the film - maybe just the opening 10 mins or so until they see the ruined Statue of Liberty). Could work in some of 'Beneath' too (underground bomb worshipping mutants) and maybe even abit of 'Escape' (getting off the planet twist at the end?)

It'll be like Nolan Batman, a separate series, or more accurately Superman - you got the original movies, then the failed reboot, then another go at it that gets it right..(hopefully Man of Steel will be as good a reboot as Rise of the Apes)

Itd work in reverse to the original ape series starting at the end (Conquest/Battle) and finishing on the beginning (original 68 movie)
To be fair to the originals,which i loved and watched as a kid,they did the best with what they could in that particular era.
The new  Apes utilises modern effects better than most films these days,so i´d rather point to its quality than the originals negatives.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 100
A Good opening - 22/8/2011 11:31:38 PM   
DiaDhuit29

After watching all The Planet of the Apes films including Tim Burton's remake, I would rank this up with the best. It was thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining, not convoluted and over the top. Some great scenes and set up the end. I hope there will be sequels as I look forward to the next in the line.

Post #: 101
A Good opening - 22/8/2011 11:31:40 PM   
DiaDhuit29

After watching all The Planet of the Apes films including Tim Burton's remake, I would rank this up with the best. It was thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining, not convoluted and over the top. Some great scenes and set up the end. I hope there will be sequels as I look forward to the next in the line.

Post #: 102
RE: A Good opening - 23/8/2011 7:42:48 PM   
Fit Kisto

I'm wondering if David Oyelowo modled his character after Alan Johnson from Peep Show?

The similarities are uncanny.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to DiaDhuit29)
Post #: 103
RE: A Good opening - 23/8/2011 11:42:24 PM   
dolfinack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fit Kisto

I'm wondering if David Oyelowo modled his character after Alan Johnson from Peep Show?

The similarities are uncanny.

One million per cent brutha. A clear rip aff.

Just back from seeing the monkey movie and it was bloody good. Great action sequences and quite touching scenes from the hairy banana lovers. Obviously riddled with plot holes and silliness but overall, damned fun. The facial and body language emotions of the apes were spot on - no words were needed to explain what they were thinking. Highly recommended, though I could have done without the ton of plot exposition from the human characters.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 104
Brilliant! - 24/8/2011 2:16:45 PM   
Empo

Brilliant, can not wait for the next one!

Post #: 105
Brilliant! - 24/8/2011 2:16:46 PM   
Empo

Post #: 106
Brilliant! - 24/8/2011 2:18:53 PM   
Empo

Post #: 107
RE: Brilliant! - 24/8/2011 6:10:51 PM   
Coyleone

Wow. This was bloody brillliant. Admittedly I am not a fan of the original movies, and when I saw the first trailer for this I thought it might just be a silly, generic summer actioner, but then I read the reviews and they got me interested enough to go and see it, and my god I am glad I did. This was a thrill ride of a film, with real characters, heart, emotion and power.

THAT scene (I guess i'll call it that to avoid giving stuff away) was completely amazing, one second everyone was laughing at the pretty funny reference to the original film, and the next the entire cinema was silent with shock, such a powerful and emotional moment and easily my favorite scene from any movie this year.

The CGI is unbelievable and looks completely real in most cases. Caeser is a brilliant character with real depth, I havn't felt that attached to a main character for a long long time, and the best performance of the year by mr Serkis helps that along nicely. Franco was decent and I don't agree with the criticism's really, I thought his character was absolutely fine and played a vital role in the film. There were so many thrilling moments and from the moment the apes break out of their prison the film just becomes breathless, and although in does take a while to get going it is never boring and everything plays an important role.

The mid credits scene was great, and it made the idea of the apes taking over the planet seem extremely feasible. If I had one complaint about the film, it would be that there were definitely not that many apes in the prison and the lab, but that is pretty much irrelevant and just nitpicking. A seriously awesome film IMO, easily the best blockbuster of the summer without question, and probably my second favorite film of the year, not to mention my favorite film ever about apes lol.

9/10

(in reply to Empo)
Post #: 108
RE: Brilliant! - 25/8/2011 10:19:11 AM   
film man aidy

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. 3.5 stars.

I had a major issue with Caeser's primate, especially in his younger years. As good as the FX were, they still looked too CG, which pulled me out of the film at regular intervals. The motion capture process is all very well, but whats the point of realistic facial expressions when the apes are going to defy gravity at so many points in the film. I'm not just targeting the 'superman' style money shot with the helicopter, I lost count of different moments in the film when the laws of physics didn't seem to apply. Apes floated in the air for seconds longer than gravity allow...

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depite my misgivings over the CG, I did think THAT line, which really did draw a collective gasp form the audience (compare the emotion that "NOOOOO!" has when put against Vader saying it...)was well done, as was the final sequence on the Golden Gate. I liked the ending too, having the virus issue and the now wild apes making for a believable step towards a primate run world...

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 109
No sequels please... - 25/8/2011 1:02:41 PM   
Pelle

Yes there was a bunch of references to the other Ape-movies, but did anyone notice the in-joke about The Simpsons Stop The Planet Of The Apes I Want To Get Off -stage musical?

It was a very good movie, but in the future I can see only bad sequels.

Post #: 110
RE: No sequels please... - 25/8/2011 3:05:05 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Seen this the other week and enjoyed it, but it's still far from exceptional.

Caesar and the apes in general are brilliantly realised (big kudos to Mr. Serkis) and the film is compelling any time its focus is on them. Sadly the same cannot be said for the two dimensional cardboard cut-outs of the humans who have a distinct problem of their characterisations being motivated by the plot rather than the other way round. I also can't help feeling that if we got a film based solely through the viewpoint of Caesar we would have had a far more interesting (if admittedly risky) piece. Also, the individual in this thread who bemoaned the spoiler-enriched trailer is bang on the money, as pretty much every plot beat was revealed and that led to a disappointing amount of surprises (aside from what we're all referring to as that scene).

Like virtually all of the big-budgeted films this summer; a good, solid if flawed and unremarkable popcorn flick.

3/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Pelle)
Post #: 111
RE: No sequels please... - 26/8/2011 3:56:32 PM   
Invader_Ace

I've seen this twice now and it's still brilliant.  Best "blockbuster" of the year by far.
Don't think it will make as much box office or impact as it should though as most people are very sceptical when you try and sell it to them.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 112
Rise of The Planet of The Apes - 26/8/2011 10:12:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

Very pleasantly surprised, a superb summer blockbuster. The first half was a little slow at times but the second half more than made up for it.

Loved the subtle in jokes (or references to what may occur in the future).

The CGI wasn't 100% all the time but I was really into the story and characters so it was never a bother.

Like Star Trek a very good reboot.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 113
RE: Rise of The Planet of The Apes - 27/8/2011 11:33:24 AM   
thetruth

Do you think there´s a sequel(s) in it though?
They would have to move completely away from the former films surely.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 114
RE: Rise of The Planet of The Apes - 27/8/2011 11:55:06 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Do you think there´s a sequel(s) in it though?
They would have to move completely away from the former films surely.

This is a reboot so they can make a sequel and disregard the Heston films.

The majority of the people who saw Rise never saw any of the original films.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 115
Um... - 28/8/2011 1:27:14 AM   
Edward Nygma

Why cookie Rocket?

Post #: 116
BETTER THAN IT HAD ANY RIGHT TO BE..... - 31/8/2011 6:30:43 PM   
ROTGUT

Superb SFX and a story with half a brain. Still prefer Charlton Heston and his " Damn you all to Hell!!!!" speech to be perfectly honest - but this is a worthy addition to the apes canon. I'd shell out for a sequel most definitely.....
FOUR STARS....

Post #: 117
BETTER THAN IT HAD ANY RIGHT TO BE..... - 31/8/2011 6:30:46 PM   
ROTGUT

Superb SFX and a story with half a brain. Still prefer Charlton Heston and his " Damn you all to Hell!!!!" speech to be perfectly honest - but this is a worthy addition to the apes canon. I'd shell out for a sequel most definitely.....
FOUR STARS....

Post #: 118
RE: Why have you done this? - 1/9/2011 11:26:03 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Good. Some chimps 'n' that all angry and stuff

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 119
EXCELLENT, SURPRISE MOVIE OF THE YEAR - 5/9/2011 3:07:44 PM   
Jamie_M

I absolutely loved this film. More people need to go see it. It's not doin so great at the box office,, and it definitely deserves a sequel.
After the summer marketing bombardment for movies like Transformers, Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America etc,,,,,,,,,
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is by far the most superior blockbuster,, everyone should check it out.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I don't get it.... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI