Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I don't get it....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I don't get it.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 10:22:03 PM   
CORLEONE

$54m opening weekend in the US is all I know. Strong opening, great reviews and positive word of mouth should give us more, hopefully.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 61
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 10:37:26 PM   
jcthefirst

Agreed. I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about this movie.

Although I haven't looked through this thread fully yet.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 62
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 12:06:48 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

So yeah - it was a brilliant film. This coming from someone who hasn't seen the originals so the in jokes/ expected stuff went over my head.

I had some minor gripes.

Pinto was practically a none character - she had a total of about 200 words in the entire film - I reckon her part got significantly cut in the editing room.

Tom Felton cannot do an American accent.

In the final battle scene (which was tremendous), I wasn't sure who I was rooting for - which in turn made the ending kind of flawed - we were never really told that Caeser wanted to be free (I understand he wanted to be free from Malfoy and whoever but- he seemed to enjoy being with Franco) - there seemed to be no inkling that he was troubled. Sure, he had a bad time in the "zoo" - but then that's such a localised thing specific to those apes/chimps - why did they feel the need to free those in the real zoo?

Nevertheless, it was brilliant, and the final - mid credit scene, and the subsequent credit sequence was genius IMO.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 63
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 1:26:19 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: andyswright

Why is this film getting great reviews? When a CG Ape delivers a better performance than the humans (who, to be fair, all have one dimensional characters), you know the film has issues. Also: WHY WHY WHY do film makers feel the need to include rather important plot points IN THE END CREDITS. This wasn't rise of the planet of the apes: It was 'bunch of apes take over a bridge, then sod off into the woods'. It was fine for a bit of in-one-ear-out-the-other entertainment, but it certainly wasn't smart, inspired or exciting. It could've been a 28 Days Later-with Apes, or even include a bit of Spielbergian scares for the kids. Instead its a toothless eco-thriller.

Admit it,you bought a ticket for the Smurfs but just stayed.
That answers all your questions.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos
Post #: 64
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 1:35:10 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

So yeah - it was a brilliant film. This coming from someone who hasn't seen the originals so the in jokes/ expected stuff went over my head.

I had some minor gripes.

Pinto was practically a none character - she had a total of about 200 words in the entire film - I reckon her part got significantly cut in the editing room.

In the final battle scene (which was tremendous), I wasn't sure who I was rooting for - which in turn made the ending kind of flawed - we were never really told that Caeser wanted to be free (I understand he wanted to be free from Malfoy and whoever but- he seemed to enjoy being with Franco) - there seemed to be no inkling that he was troubled. Sure, he had a bad time in the "zoo" - but then that's such a localised thing specific to those apes/chimps - why did they feel the need to free those in the real zoo?

Nevertheless, it was brilliant, and the final - mid credit scene, and the subsequent credit sequence was genius IMO.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was tortured,emotionally, about his family,and shown the building where his mother died.
He had seen the apes in the zoo before when he was a baby(monkey!) and had never seen a cage before,until he was in the "centre".He knew they were imprisoned.
His personal relationship with Franco was damaged when he abandoned him.He needed to be free in the true sense of the word.And took responsibility to bring the rest with him.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 65
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 1:37:15 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Does anyone think the old farts at the MPAA would ever consider Andy Serkis' performance as Oscar nomination worthy? Or even in the future with a character that has more lines? I can't see it happening....

He was denied for Gollum and for King Kong. There's probably gonna be so many 'normal' performances towards the end of this year like gosling in Ides of March or DiCaprio in J.Edgar that Serkis will probably be forgotten.

My guess is if he continues to work with Motion Capture he'll get an honorary oscar in about 15-20 years.

Yep,the movie mafia like to use technology,but not reward it!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 66
RE: AWESOME - 14/8/2011 12:01:35 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

This thread is for film reviews - if people don't want the film to be ruined for them - then they shouldn't come into the thread - especially as the film has already come out!!!!

R.I.P. Punchy
Post #: 67
RE: AWESOME - 14/8/2011 1:13:48 PM   
thetruth

quote:

This thread is for film reviews - if people don't want the film to be ruined for them - then they shouldn't come into the thread - especially as the film has already come out!!!!

Agreed,but,it's nice to be nice?
I avoid the film review section if the film is released and i havent seen it....but,sometimes i cant help myself!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 68
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 1:20:07 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

I had some minor gripes.

I didn't stay after the mid credits scene, what were the actual credits like?

But now that you mention it, Caesar's motivation was a bit unclear. Although I think it was the desire not to be a pet and/or tested on.

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 69
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 1:21:19 PM   
jcthefirst

I also think it was important that Caesar didn't, or didn't let any others, kill anyone (with the obvious exceptions).

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 70
RE: AWESOME - 14/8/2011 4:12:30 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

Agreed,but,it's nice to be nice?
I avoid the film review section if the film is released and i havent seen it....but,sometimes i cant help myself!

Well it's not the responsibility of others to cater for your urge to read a thread that is bound to have spoilers.

In fact, I do it myself and I know it's my fault that I read spoilers in a thread such as this, not the person who has written them which is why I have no sympathy.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 71
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 4:14:39 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

I didn't stay after the mid credits scene, what were the actual credits like?

But now that you mention it, Caesar's motivation was a bit unclear. Although I think it was the desire not to be a pet and/or tested on.

Because the pilot had dropped blood in the airport - it showed how his flight had spread the disease all over the world. Not in an actual clip, it was all animation - simple, yet effective.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 72
RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - 14/8/2011 4:59:38 PM   
TrendMeUp

I dunno. This was just a solid three star film for me. Good, well made, reasonably acted. I actually felt like the action scenes at the end were a little dull. Serkis was wonderful though, as was the animation. I genuinely cannot think of a single reason for Freida Pinto's character to have been in the film at all, aside from the fact that she is wonderous to look at.

I actually think my enjoyment of the film may have been sullied by the ridiculously lengthy and detailed trailer that I saw for it when I went to see Super 8. It revealed nearly every major plot point of the film and showed how Caesar came to be, why he was locked away etc etc. Really wish it had been less revealing.

I also found "that scene" created a combination of gasps and giggles. Personally I thought it was really powerful.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 73
RE: A v Z !!!! - 14/8/2011 7:34:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

After Tim Burtonís awful Planet of The Apes remake, there was only one way for the ĎApesí series to go and that was up.  This movie takes the basic premise of Conquest Of The  Planet Of The Apes Ė apes rising up against their human masters Ė and spins a very different story out of it.  The result is probably the best ĎApesí movie since the 1968 original and quite possible the best Ďblockbusterí so far this year, though itís far from perfect.  The majority of the film is build up but the plotting is very good and the film moves at a swift pace, with scenes mostly short and to the point.  Caeser is quite simply the most convincing character ever created Ė I for one am very critical of CG effects, basically because I think they are lazy and often very poor, but in this movie they are superb.  You really think Caeser is there and because of that you empathise with him greatly, resulting in some extremely touching scenes which are genuinely touching but not overdone, but the other apes are all very well done too.  The action climax is terrific, with the sight of apes running riot probably the coolest spectacle seen on cinema screens so far this year, though the film then seems to suddenly stop and I could have done with a bit more simian rampaging.  James Franco isnít given any chance to display his characterís moral dilemmas and Frieda Pinto just didnít need to be in the movie at all, in fact the human side of the story seems rushed, but itís the apeís show, and that works fine.  Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is a blockbuster crafted with great care, scripted and directed so it results in maximum audience manipulation.  Roll on the sequel.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 74
RE: Where do they go from here? - 14/8/2011 9:21:29 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveg66

Very good film but can't see where any sequels would be heading unless it's a rehash of Battle of the.....The original (definitive) Planet of the Apes has been done by Burton (so,so). They could do a Beneath for the timeline but not an Escape as the time loop now doesn't exist with this current Caeser. Any ideas anyone?

I say forget about the old ones (tho I love them). This is a completely new storyline. Apes take over the world in the old ones cos Caesar is the intelligent ape offspring of Cornelius and Zira, who travelled back in time to the 1970s and became celebrities in Escape!! Preposterous, but enjoyable. This is a much more plausible storyline in my opinion. In the old ones apes become the new pets cos a virus wipes out all dogs and cats!

So yeah, I believe this is a completely new beginning for the saga and I'm delighted the first in the series is as good as it is.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".
Post #: 75
RE: Where do they go from here? - 14/8/2011 9:51:20 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveg66

Very good film but can't see where any sequels would be heading unless it's a rehash of Battle of the.....The original (definitive) Planet of the Apes has been done by Burton (so,so). They could do a Beneath for the timeline but not an Escape as the time loop now doesn't exist with this current Caeser. Any ideas anyone?

I say forget about the old ones (tho I love them). This is a completely new storyline. Apes take over the world in the old ones cos Caesar is the intelligent ape offspring of Cornelius and Zira, who travelled back in time to the 1970s and became celebrities in Escape!! Preposterous, but enjoyable. This is a much more plausible storyline in my opinion. In the old ones apes become the new pets cos a virus wipes out all dogs and cats!

So yeah, I believe this is a completely new beginning for the saga and I'm delighted the first in the series is as good as it is.

Loved the originals,but surely this is the start of something better?And i say that with love!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 76
RE: I don't get it.... - 14/8/2011 10:44:47 PM   
pedros

quote:

When Franco came to get him Caesar saw the lead in his hand, and knew he would always just be a pet and considered as just an animal. He had already formalised plans of escape at that point, and he knew that he could actually be truly free.

After the disappointing mediocrity of X-Men and Super 8 I was absolutely delighted with this film. I forced my flatmate to come with me and she ended up loving it too. Certain scenes were truly heartbreaking, and the finale was just incredible. Quite possibly my favourite film of the year, it's definitely the most enjoyable. Not sure about a sequel though...

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

Post #: 77
RE: Best film of the year so far... - 15/8/2011 9:38:20 AM   
Rob

Film of the summer for me. Loved every minute of it.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.
Post #: 78
RE: Apes Will Rise Indeed! - 15/8/2011 6:52:28 PM   
TALON1138

Have just seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Really very good, a very 21st century and very plausible solution to how the apes begin to take over, and what happens to humanity to allow for their ascendance. Genetic experimentation and the fear of a global pandemic plays very much into the fears of today's society very much like how the original movie with its tale of the human race wiping itself out in a nuclear war played into the fears of that time. Which is why I think it works so well on so many levels. With regards to a sequel, that would be nice, but I think the mid credits sequence tells us pretty much all we need to know about what happens next. Though I suppose other movies focusing on other key events on the future/historical road map from this movie to the original Planet of the Apes movie could be fun and interesting to see.

Another nice touch are all the little nods, some subtle, some not so much to the original movies, and the sci-fi genre in general. Obviously the obligatory "Get your hands off me you damned dirty ape!" line is going to get shoe-horned in there somewhere, but it works well here and is actually used in a key sequence, other elements include news reports of the Icarus mission lift off (which also opens the franchise up for a sequel in that direction if they wish), another nice one is Caesar holding up a weapon in a fashion that calls to mind 2001, I almost expected him to throw it up and a spaceship spin into shot. There'll also be plenty others that I've not mentioned here.

The apes themselves are also pretty flawless, as ever Andy Serkis provides an excellent performance brimming with subtle physicality, and when it eventually all kicks off? Wow, you're just going to love that.

This was one of those movies that when it first started to appear on the scene I wasn't so sure about, and then as the promotion of the movie went into overdrive the more I saw the more interesting it became until it rose in my mind into a must-see movie, and on finally seeing it? It didn't disappoint.

Easily one of my favourite movies of the year, up there with X-Men: First Class.

< Message edited by TALON1138 -- 16/8/2011 12:34:17 PM >

"The Force is strong with this one."

http://www.fsmod.com/
Post #: 79
RE: I don't get it.... - 15/8/2011 11:56:20 PM   
st3veebee

As I've said before when I first saw the trailer for this the entire audience just burst out laughing. Monkeys with shifty eyes, attacking helicopters and a rubbish title.

Then I saw the film.

PROS:

-Constantly riveting and compelling.

-Great SFX

-Brilliant central performance from Andy Serkis

-Truly memorable set pieces and scenes.

-Exactly what a summer blockbuster should be

CONS

-Fairly two-dimensional human characters

-Forgettable score

-That Line

As I say above: it ticks all the summer blockbuster requirements. Thoroughly enjoyable with brilliant set pieces; with a director on top form.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 80
RE: I don't get it.... - 16/8/2011 3:02:06 PM   
superdan

This was much better than I thought it would be. I was never that much of a fan of the originals (sacrilege, I know) so I was probably helped by low expectations but I thought it was really good. Cesar was clearly the most interesting character in the whole film, and Malfoy's bad guy was almost too over the top for boo-hiss villainry, but the way it builds towards the finale is excellent. I was slightly disappointed by some of the CGI, it seemed to alternate between jaw-droppingly convincing to pretty shoddy at times (Jumanji popped into my head at one point), but it's not a major criticism and I'll definitely check out a sequel if/when it's made.

4/5

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 81
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 17/8/2011 12:55:07 AM   
Edward9630

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a fantastic film. The story is great, the actors did an excellent performance for their characters and the CGI was impressive. At some points in this film i literally believed these were real apes but ofcourse there not but still they did. It's very smart of how they show the apes escaping into the wild and some people believed how can apes with rocks and sticks beat humans with guns and bombs, well when you watch it you'll understand how they don't get shot or bombed. I must say this is probably the best film I've seen this summer. I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 82
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 17/8/2011 9:30:52 AM   
Mojo

Going to watch this today, can anybody tell me if there's a post-credits scene worth staying for?

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Edward9630)
Post #: 83
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 17/8/2011 9:48:19 AM   
MOTH

Should have been caled The Apes of Wrath (7/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 84
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 17/8/2011 10:18:16 AM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

Going to watch this today, can anybody tell me if there's a post-credits scene worth staying for?

It's only about a minute or so into the credits, so yes.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 85
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 17/8/2011 10:19:11 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

There's a short scene just after the beginning of the credits and then the background images durung the credits add a bit more to it, you'll know when you see it.

EDIT: What JC said.

Anyway I thought this was pretty great. Had an annoying audience again who laughed at moments (you know which one) that I thought were quite powerful.

4/5

< Message edited by talpacino -- 17/8/2011 10:22:59 AM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 86
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 17/8/2011 10:43:57 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Best film of the year so far for me. Powerful, emotional and action packed. Fantastic motion capture that worked really well.

On a side note about spoilers, if you're coming into a review thread about a film that you haven't yet seen then I'm afraid you get what you deserve. It would be nice for people to post spoiler warnings as a courtesy but they're not required by the rules of the forum....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 87
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 17/8/2011 7:33:58 PM   
thetruth

Seen it again today!While i look forward to a Blu-Ray extended version,this is edited quite well and flys along at such an entertaining pace.
Who was giving out about spoilers anyway?

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 88
I say it's tru-u-u, I wanna be like u-u-u! - 17/8/2011 11:36:59 PM   
danielthompson99

Good film, very nicely made and well acted by Franco (again), who seems to be on a bit of a roll these days.
The true stars are the apes, and when they finally make their stand, the emotional cement made me cheer them on. Down with those darned humans with their genetic experiments, and muscle cars and alsations!

Post #: 89
RE: I don't get it.... - 18/8/2011 12:34:30 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy
The Apes do not just disappear off into the fucking woods. This is what I meant by the clever ending. Caesar has reached the fully human levels of emotional complexity. He TELLS Will that "Caesar is home" out of deference to his emotions and their past relationship but the last shots clearly show him thinking of more power. It is brilliantly understated. It shows that the 'ape' Caesar is now as complex as any human - indeed, Will comes across as the 'primitive', mistakenly believing that someone as smart as Caesar is gonna be happy climbing trees. As I say, brilliantly understated, although seemingly too understated for the haterz in this thread

Now, it's interesting you mention the bit about Cśsar (sic) looking to extend his power. As I mentioned earlier, I think he could potentially be an allegory for the Roman emperor who loved power a bit too much and was eventually bertrayed and killed. If the series's creators (and it is the beginning of one) decide to run with that train of thought, we could see an interesting route in terms of future storylines and the evolution of an ape dominated world.

I'm far more interested in the next phase of the story as we have the Icarus ship, a ravaged Earth, an enslaved human population and the dominion of the ape. The only thing is how will one ape manage to rule the world without the global shrinkage effect of our technology. Maybe we'll just see a portion of the United States under his rule, whatever he is seen to control is deemed to be a microcosm of the rest of the world. However, I think it'll be interesting if they show the apes forcing skilled and reasonably intelligent men to operate certain advanced equipment. Perhaps it could lead to their downfall? I see this film very much as the 'wagging the finger' tut tut humanity has been a naughty child type thing. Which can get tiresome rather quickly, so it's a matter of waiting for the next installment and see what they do with it.

Going back to Cśsar, if this ape is meant to be as "emotionally complex" as any human then he will experience greed, jealousy, paranoia and hatred I imagine. The exact trappings of a Cśsar-like villain.

quote:

And of course it's going to take a virus or something for humanity to be weakened to a level where the apes take over. 6 billion+ humans in the world and the monkeys are, what, gonna steal sufficient firearms and win in a straight-up battle, despite the fact that human military strategy has evolved over centuries and current leading weaponry is the result of billlions of dollars and thousands of man hours? Ridiculous. There's little drama in showing endless scenes of people all over the world succumbing to the virus, so the sequences in the credits , like the rest of the movie, was brilliantly suggestive.

Well the deus-ex machina or shall 'we' (pluralis majestatis ) [click for reference] term it the 'annihilation catalyst' is the worldwide contagion. Therefore all those highly trained, experienced and skilled military men who would implement such well-thought out battle strategies with those advanced weapons will mostly be dead or fighting for survival with as little as a rudimentary stone-axe to fight off those raging hormonal chimps.

I think one thing they can establish in the series is the hierarchical organisation of their society. Will different breeds of ape fit into a caste type system? Perhaps the gorillas and the orangutangs with their great brute strength are the heavy hitters and therefore are relegated to do the fighting. They could also be the builders doing the heavy lifitng. Whilst the chimps like Cśsar are the smarter ones who control everything?

I think the last in the series will be termed "Fall of the Planet of the Apes" or something similar.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 18/8/2011 12:38:21 AM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I don't get it.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI