Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

I know already son

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> I know already son Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I know already son - 10/8/2011 1:28:36 AM   
Emyr Thy King

Surely, if this true science fiction, the purpose of which is to provoke and stimulate thought then in that regards, there's no such thing as "too much analysis" here. Especially as judging by the quality of the film as stated by others, this isn't simply just summer fare but more engaging and thought provoking material. 

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 31
RE: I know already son - 10/8/2011 8:29:09 AM   
thetruth

When i see it,iŽll do that then.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 32
Cynical Cash in Of The Planet Of The Apes - 10/8/2011 3:27:12 PM   
spamandham

Chimp-animation: good
Andy Sirkiss: good

Everything else, hollywood pseudo-science, draco malfoy, incoherent plot, etc, etc: Utter Balls!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
RE: Cynical Cash in Of The Planet Of The Apes - 11/8/2011 11:38:40 AM   
Gazdance

Based solely on the overwhelmingly positive reviews...

Where did this come from?? We all knew about the film but did anyone expect that it would turn out to be so, apparently, good? Lots of hype and pre-release attention went to the other Big Names this summer and they have been a mixed bag - from average to disappointing - but this seems to be a winner.

I remain cautiously optimistic until I see it but it doesn't seem that this often happens these days with summer blockbuster films.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 34
RE: Cynical Cash in Of The Planet Of The Apes - 11/8/2011 1:03:01 PM   
Roykfrapp

First off i am trying hard not to sound cynical or repetitive, this movie is good and is worth watching and for fans of the original it will probably favor them more, but it just doesn't jump over the final hurdle needed to make it a great film.
The effects for the monkeys are superb and the character traits and mannerisms are fully realized. The concept, considering the source material, feels fresh and interesting and as Apes vs Humans goes it culminates in an exciting last half an hour. The Golden Gate bridge scene is technically brilliant and probably the best set piece this year and the way the apes communicate with each other is impressive as is the personal plight that James Franco faces up to regarding his father.It rollicks along at a good pace and i was never that bored or lost attention. However..
In an age where the social and economic climate in real life is at a beurocratical, lazy, antagonistic state, it rings all too true with the apes vs humans plight but in an embittered way where i felt cold and depressed, who was i actually rooting for? Ceaser was well developed but i did not think the relationship between Franco and Ceaser was fully formed which left an empty, hollow emotional pay-off at the end.
The film is a good, old fashioned, fun science project gone wrong and we get to witness the results but i cant help feeling that this is the first half decent summer film this year bar X-men, and people are fed up with half decent... We want full decent!.

http://www.freewebs.com/therewillbefilmreviews/

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 35
RE: Cynical Cash in Of The Planet Of The Apes - 11/8/2011 2:58:33 PM   
thetruth

This is THE blockbuster so far this year!
Fully delivers on the trailer.The ape cgi is superb.This is how Jackson should have done King Kong.
The story is engaging,the human characters decent but the ape interaction is the main event.
Franco is decent.While i agree with the poster above in the main,i disagree about FrancoŽs relationship with Caesar.It wasnt underdeveloped,Franco let him down.When people see the film theyŽll see what i mean.
Better than the originals,more please!
A solid 4 stars.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Roykfrapp)
Post #: 36
Go Ape! - 11/8/2011 3:07:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

This is a great film full stop. You don't even need to have seen the 60s flicks. It stands on its own two feet (pun totally intended).

There is a moment in this film which made my audience gasp (the first time it has happened this summer) and it wasn't robots fighting, or fake armies clashing. It was a simple moment, but so powerful that you wanted to cheer.

This summer has been a big disappointment - I thought I was getting too old for blockbusters. Rise has reminded me that no, they can make you feel genuine emotions.

The humans aren't much to do with the film - this is the Apes story. But stay till the first credit break where one of the big questions about this story is answered.

A great film. Go Ape!

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 11/8/2011 3:10:47 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 37
RE: Go Ape! - 11/8/2011 3:14:06 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

This is a great film full stop. You don't even need to have seen the 60s flicks. It stands on its own two feet (pun totally intended).

There is a moment in this film which made my audience gasp (the first time it has happened this summer) and it wasn't robots fighting, or fake armies clashing. It was a simple moment, but so powerful that you wanted to cheer.

This summer has been a big disappointment - I thought I was getting too old for blockbusters. Rise has reminded me that no, they can make you feel genuine emotions.

The humans aren't much to do with the film - this is the Apes story. But stay till the first credit break where one of the big questions about this story is answered.

A great film. Go Ape!
You know,iŽve been moaning about blockbusters so often i thought iŽd become some old Statler version of myself who was becoming an old moanbag!
These showed blockbusters can deliver.
Agree about THAT moment!
Could you pm me the credits reveal-i hate credits,didnt know there was anything to see!Ta!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 38
RE: Go Ape! - 11/8/2011 3:16:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

PM sent.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 39
RE: Go Ape! - 11/8/2011 4:15:11 PM   
thetruth

quote:

PM sent.
Ta very much.
I think anyone going to see the film should make sure they watch the credits!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 40
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 11/8/2011 6:49:05 PM   
impqueen

THAT moment was totally unexpected by me, my audience (which was incredibly healthy) audibly gasped too. I'm a nerd for the Ape films and this was one of the films I really wanted to work, in my view it did despite some of the humans being either boring or caricatures (but really it's all about the Apes and such) I found it a thoroughly brilliant film and I really hope there will be a follow up.

Yes, always.

Post #: 41
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 11/8/2011 8:18:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

Back home, still buzzing about this movie. Finally a proper blockbuster!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 42
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 11/8/2011 10:32:08 PM   
Timon

Best film of the summer (thus far) in my book.

Fantastic to see such economical storytelling and characters who actually had arcs and you cared about.

All those that have been moaning about the FX should actually see the film, because Caesar looked fantastic.

A wonderful 'rebooting' of a great franchise.

4.5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 43
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 11/8/2011 11:00:39 PM   
demoncleaner

Beset with more than just a few noticeable problems it might still be difficult for your inner film theorist to be heard over the whoops and shouts of "FUCK YEAH!!!" from you inner teen.  The fact is Rise is an immense amount of fun that panders to the lowest denominator of air punching, anti-hero backing entertainment.  The other sure fact is that with a lenghtier running time, more patience, perhaps even more self-importance this could have been so much better.  It's still good.  It's still a Porsche.  But it could have been Rolls Royce.   Its essential appeal is that it's basically a hairy Spartacus movie with a satisfying prison set second act and a rollicking sprint for freedom in its third.  Its only biggish problem is that it sprints too much. The poignancy promised in the promos relating to the domestic, pre-captivity scenes is here, but the scenes aren't elaborated on from what you've witnessed in the trailer, and so it's like sixty mile an hour poignancy.  The pacing is pretty ruthless with the intimate backdrop and this makes James Franco, a highly likeable lead, though essentially a cipher.  The unsavoury characters are resolutely two-dimensional with poor dialogue and there's the old conceit of a care home that looks pleasant on the surface but is actually a Turkish prison on the inside.  A conceit so old it's pretty much a comedic cliche now, last popping up in Toy Story. 

Having said that the cool and infuriating thing about Rise is that being aware of these problems doesn't necessarily block your receptiveness to a great many moments of effuse gratification.  Yes, it's all low denominator stuff, but the more you're asked to join with the snarling defiance of the ape race the more bestial your sense of entertainment becomes.  Probably.

The CGI gymnastics take some getting use to from the start but when you do, and by that stage have presumably given yourself over to a deliberately stylised form of popcorn movie then the action is thrilling and expertly handled from previous no-budgement director Wyatt.  The last act is fantastically breathless fare but I wished it could have been attentuated to milk more of that Spartacus dollar.  It's back to running time, but I would have liked to have seen the revolt camp overnight, take their next targets over a couple of days, turning each set-piece into a pitched battle with tactics and cunning and most importantly, a chance for the humans to get a real pervading sense of what is happening.  As it stands, it's a bravura break for freedom rather than a full scale revolution.  More prequels could have beckoned, staying with this immediate inter-species conflict but a parallel subplot neatly erases that potential and puts us right up to where the first movie started it all.  

Low on subtlety and grand ideas, it makes up for it in endorphins.  Now imagine if the endorphins took over the world!    
4/5

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 11/8/2011 11:18:24 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 44
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 12/8/2011 12:18:12 AM   
thetruth

Agree Demon Cleaner(like the Tinker Taylor pic!),this needed to be longer!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 45
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 12/8/2011 7:45:46 AM   
Timon

I can't help but feel a lot may have been cut such "what happened to Brian Cox's character" and a scene where Will must have told Caesar about Lithgow. However, it's nice to see a film so succinct in its storytelling.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 46
RE: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Review - 12/8/2011 11:36:32 AM   
thetruth

Defo one for the Blu-Ray extras and extended cut!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 47
RE: Good, good, good - 12/8/2011 5:26:07 PM   
CORLEONE

Self confessed Planet of the Apes geek here.

I absolutely loved it. Such a powerful film! It's probably the best film I've seen as the cinema all year. After Burton's disappointing "re-imagining" 10 years ago, I thought the Apes franchise was consigned to history, but thanks to Rupert Wyatt (keep your eye on this lad), amazing work by Andy Serkis, and astonishing effects by WETA, the series I love will hopefully begin again with this new (and let's be honest, more plausible) storyline.

THAT scene: everyone in the cinema fell silent, mouths agape. The silence was deafening! I even had to hold back the tears on a couple occassions. Call me a pussy, I don't care. It would be typical behaviour of a nasty human!

Apes Rock! Hail Caesar!

5 STARS

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".
Post #: 48
RE: Good, good, good - 12/8/2011 6:45:09 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Self confessed Planet of the Apes geek here.

I absolutely loved it. Such a powerful film! It's probably the best film I've seen as the cinema all year. After Burton's disappointing "re-imagining" 10 years ago, I thought the Apes franchise was consigned to history, but thanks to Rupert Wyatt (keep your eye on this lad), amazing work by Andy Serkis, and astonishing effects by WETA, the series I love will hopefully begin again with this new (and let's be honest, more plausible) storyline.

THAT scene: everyone in the cinema fell silent, mouths agape. The silence was deafening! I even had to hold back the tears on a couple occassions. Call me a pussy, I don't care. It would be typical behaviour of a nasty human!

Apes Rock! Hail Caesar!

5 STARS

I love how that has become 'The scene we dare not speak of' because we don't want to ruin it for anyone. And everyone that has seen it knows what someone means when someone says THAT scene

Best line of the film: "Why cookie Rocket?"

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 49
RE: Good, good, good - 12/8/2011 6:52:17 PM   
CORLEONE

Haha! That orangutan was fantastic. Special effects on that guy were superb.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 50
RE: Good, good, good - 12/8/2011 7:01:21 PM   
cerebusboy

Saw this today. Superb!! And the (character) ending is actually very clever, which I'll elaborate when it's been out a few days and we're having more spoiler-y discussions. Although some of the criticisms here are inane; the untreated orangutang was in no way sharp as Caesar, who stuck to the equivalent of baby-talk when signing* with him. I was also slightly disappointed that the apes didn't beat up any creationists but, aside from that, it's all good!

And I'm pretty confident that Caesar is a more compelling character, better acted, than at least some of those who'll end up getting Best Actor nominations.

( * I nearly always write 'singing' when I mean 'signing'......good as this film is, there are sadly no musical monkey moments)

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 51
RE: Good, good, good - 12/8/2011 7:03:13 PM   
cerebusboy

It would also have been cool if a character had said "this shit is bananas!'' at one point.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 52
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 7:07:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: andyswright

Why is this film getting great reviews? When a CG Ape delivers a better performance than the humans (who, to be fair, all have one dimensional characters), you know the film has issues. Also: WHY WHY WHY do film makers feel the need to include rather important plot points IN THE END CREDITS. This wasn't rise of the planet of the apes: It was 'bunch of apes take over a bridge, then sod off into the woods'. It was fine for a bit of in-one-ear-out-the-other entertainment, but it certainly wasn't smart, inspired or exciting. It could've been a 28 Days Later-with Apes, or even include a bit of Spielbergian scares for the kids. Instead its a toothless eco-thriller.

The story isn't about the humans, it is about the Apes.

And the CG Ape delivered one of the best performances of the year. The humans were there for him to bounce off of, not the other way around.

Post #: 53
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 7:14:49 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Why is this film getting great reviews? When a CG Ape delivers a better performance than the humans (who, to be fair, all have one dimensional characters), you know the film has issues. Also: WHY WHY WHY do film makers feel the need to include rather important plot points IN THE END CREDITS. This wasn't rise of the planet of the apes: It was 'bunch of apes take over a bridge, then sod off into the woods'. It was fine for a bit of in-one-ear-out-the-other entertainment, but it certainly wasn't smart, inspired or exciting. It could've been a 28 Days Later-with Apes, or even include a bit of Spielbergian scares for the kids. Instead its a toothless eco-thriller.

The story isn't about the humans, it is about the Apes.

And the CG Ape delivered one of the best performances of the year. The humans were there for him to bounce off of, not the other way around.

Also - AND SPOILER WARNING

The Apes do not just disappear off into the fucking woods. This is what I meant by the clever ending. Caesar has reached the fully human levels of emotional complexity. He TELLS Will that "Caesar is home" out of deference to his emotions and their past relationship but the last shots clearly show him thinking of more power. It is brilliantly understated. It shows that the 'ape' Caesar is now as complex as any human - indeed, Will comes across as the 'primitive', mistakenly believing that someone as smart as Caesar is gonna be happy climbing trees. As I say, brilliantly understated, although seemingly too understated for the haterz in this thread

And of course it's going to take a virus or something for humanity to be weakened to a level where the apes take over. 6 billion+ humans in the world and the monkeys are, what, gonna steal sufficient firearms and win in a straight-up battle, despite the fact that human military strategy has evolved over centuries and current leading weaponry is the result of billlions of dollars and thousands of man hours? Ridiculous. There's little drama in showing endless scenes of people all over the world succumbing to the virus, so the sequences in the credits , like the rest of the movie, was brilliantly suggestive.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 54
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 7:18:40 PM   
BatFan

quote:

It wasn't a CG Ape, it was an actual actor doing everything but CG was used to make him look like an ape. It's exactly the same as make-up. Is John Hurt in the Elephant Man any less of a performance because he's under prosthetics?

The important plot point in the credits was hinted at during the film.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see once the character gets ill, then makes the next door neighbour ill that a plague is starting. The mid credit scene just showed how it spread so quickly.

Post #: 55
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 8:48:00 PM   
CORLEONE

Does anyone think the old farts at the MPAA would ever consider Andy Serkis' performance as Oscar nomination worthy? Or even in the future with a character that has more lines? I can't see it happening....

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 56
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 8:52:06 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Does anyone think the old farts at the MPAA would ever consider Andy Serkis' performance as Oscar nomination worthy? Or even in the future with a character that has more lines? I can't see it happening....

He was denied for Gollum and for King Kong. There's probably gonna be so many 'normal' performances towards the end of this year like gosling in Ides of March or DiCaprio in J.Edgar that Serkis will probably be forgotten.

My guess is if he continues to work with Motion Capture he'll get an honorary oscar in about 15-20 years.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 57
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 10:04:45 PM   
jcthefirst

Just back, and I thought it was fantastic.

One of the summers best, and I'm assuming the scene that must not be named is the SPOILERS the 'NO' scene END SPOILERS because that was damn powerful.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 58
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 10:17:46 PM   
CORLEONE

That's the scene! Loved how everyone was shocked even tho we kind of knew it was coming at some point. It was done so well. I think I need to watch this again....

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 59
RE: I don't get it.... - 13/8/2011 10:20:19 PM   
jcthefirst

Although I had some dickheads in my cinema who just laughed.

It does neatly dovetail, with the hints given, into the original Apes, in the event there's no sequel. What are the opening numbers for this, as a matter of interest?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> I know already son Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI