Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 2/9/2012 1:34:25 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

...the caped crusader finally got the definitive big screen treatment in Christopher Nolans Batman Begins in 2005.

I think Burton's 1989 film was pretty darn definitive.

Nolan knows crime fiction. It's all he's ever done, and he's bloody good at it; so it makes sense that (a) of all the superhero characters, he'd tackle Batman, and (b) he'd place Batman in a seemingly realistic setting. Unfortunately, this leads to a real lack of visual imagination in Nolan's films, which is passable since crime fiction doesn't need to be visually imaginative, although it is by far the preferable state of affairs.

At this point, I'd quite like to see a film treatment of Batman that's a little more expressionistic than what Nolan's given us—more in the vain of Burton's films, though perhaps not pushing it quite that far.

< Message edited by max314 -- 2/9/2012 1:35:35 AM >

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 61
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 2/9/2012 12:24:13 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUFklia47WM&feature=player_embedded

Go to two minutes into the video. Ledger MUST have based his voice on this.

Funny that Waits' character is actualy quite Joker like, mischievous and evasive.

Go to about 8:18 in the video where he goes 'Hmm mmm ... yeah'. Half expected him to say after that 'Now we're talkin', from his Agent of Chaos speech in TDK.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 62
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 2/9/2012 12:24:46 PM   
vad3r

In the next Batman film I'd like to see Gotham City and not New York City.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 2/9/2012 12:31:49 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 63
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 4/9/2012 12:58:53 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

...the caped crusader finally got the definitive big screen treatment in Christopher Nolans Batman Begins in 2005.

I think Burton's 1989 film was pretty darn definitive.

Nolan knows crime fiction. It's all he's ever done, and he's bloody good at it; so it makes sense that (a) of all the superhero characters, he'd tackle Batman, and (b) he'd place Batman in a seemingly realistic setting. Unfortunately, this leads to a real lack of visual imagination in Nolan's films, which is passable since crime fiction doesn't need to be visually imaginative, although it is by far the preferable state of affairs.

At this point, I'd quite like to see a film treatment of Batman that's a little more expressionistic than what Nolan's given us—more in the vain of Burton's films, though perhaps not pushing it quite that far.

Expressionistic in what sense through? If you mean the style then you maybe have a point, to be fair the point of the Nolan's films was to make Gotham a more modern city and to be a bit more gritty. However if you mean expressionistic in the story sense I totally disagree, these are very deep and emotionally films.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 64
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 6/9/2012 11:39:41 PM   
vad3r

Kevin Smith on the Batman saga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhLUVtGCR6M

80 minutes long.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 65
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 15/9/2012 12:49:59 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Love them both, but Begins drops the ball in the third act in terms of the themeatic arc of Bats and the whole "not killing anyone".

I'm sure I'm going to receive groans from the gallery for bringing this up (but at least it'll entertain them), however I always find it a fascinating subject to discuss and the relative grey area it occupies. I used to think it was Batman who sabotaged the controls, but now I'm not so sure. Here's the scene in question:

Batman vs Ra's al Ghul (click)

You need to forward to the 30 second mark. The problem is the editing cuts quickly, so it's difficult to see exactly who did what at times. But to me, it looks like Ra's pulled out the controls from one panel when he attacked Batman from behind. He also must've stabbed the controls with his blade as I don't see how Batman could have grabbed it off him. For me, the look of surprise from Ra's is because he thought Batman had only planned to stop the train, where as his contingency plan was to de-rail the train with the aid of Gordon in the Tumbler if the train couldn't be stopped. He did say to Gordon beforehand: "I'm gonna stop him from loading that train, but I may need your help". If Ra's was the one who smashed the controls, despite Batman getting Gordon to blow the tracks. Then he would not have a moral obligation to save Ra's since he put himself there to incite mass murder and mayhem. So the line "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" is not problematic. If Batman's the one who destroyed the controls, irrespective of what Ra's was planning to do then it would have made Batman the executioner (something he professed not to become) but in an indirect manner; like the guy who 'flicks the switch' so to speak.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 15/9/2012 12:43:56 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 66
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 15/9/2012 2:32:58 AM   
giggity

It's definitely Ra's that sabotaged the train. You can see his black gloved hand stabbing the control panel while he's holding Bruce down.

For me I see it as Bruce saved Ra's earlier when he burned down the hideout of the League of Shadows, and then Ra's came back to destroy Gotham again. When Ra's asks in that scene if Bruce has finally decided to do what is needed which to Ra's is for Bruce to execute him, what he wanted Bruce to do to the thief earlier. Bruce sees that he can't execute him because he would be like Ra's after that but he can't save his life again because he could come back and do the same all over again to Gotham. So he just leaves Ra's to his own devices and let fate take care of it. Very grey area indeed but I see it as Bruce not killing him.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI