Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 9/9/2011 5:41:14 PM   
directorscut

I certainly don't remember them!!!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 31
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 19/9/2011 2:08:15 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ynjjk2c7Y

There you go, maybe this will jog your memory

I LOVE Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score, it's brilliant!

As for the movies, fantastic stuff, and while stylistically I do prefer Tim Burton's Batman, Nolan got the character and story right, something that the Tim Burton and subsequent... other films didn't. Apart from Mask Of The Phantasm ( )

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 32
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 19/9/2011 10:09:00 PM   
Ref

Great cast, great direction, great story and fantastic score - that is all.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 33
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 20/9/2011 1:59:55 PM   
goldleader

Im a huge fan of these films.

I have been a life long Batman fan which started in the early 80s with re-runs of the 60s show which i used to love, even in its camp stilly way its loads of fun as a kid.  When The Burton films came out i loved them and was caught in the moment like everyone else at the time, as to how great the two films were, it did help that i was 9 when the firat one came out and then 12 with the next one ,so i was the right age for the target audience to be fair, none the less I loved them both then and still do today.  Once Batman forever rolled into town i had grown out of Batman so im one of the lucky ones who never really watched the last two films in this incarnation of the character.  I have wathed them both since and do agree they are best forgotton by all.

Now when Batman Begins was set to come out i was interested in the film but not in over blown hype mode to be honest, the scares from Star Wars were still to deep to ever get over hyped about a film again.  And at the time i was more excited about Superman Returns than a new Batman film, as Superman had been away from the screen far longer and i was hoping for a new superman film more than another Batman film about the bad guys.  Anyway i had seen the trailer and was a fan of Nolan's from Momento and thought Bale would make a good Batman.  I went in cold and have to say came out very hot.  This was a different kind of Batman to anything we had seen before.  Grounded in the real world with an orgin story that explains everything to the none fan and helps the fan understand were a lot of things have come from.  Care was taken making the film and it shows.  Everything Nolan believes in helped make the film stand out, no over use of FX just lots more real stunts, character and story are the main focus not the over blown set peices, although i have a feeling he had to give into the studio with the final set peice on the train before they allowed him free rain on the next film.  As others had mentioned the final scences between Batman and Gordon are just so damn good and really left us wanting more.

Now when The Dark Knight rolled round i stayed hope full that Nolan had done it again, so i stayed well away from any spoilers and only watched the trailer.  I was unsure how Ledger was going to pull off the Joker as i was a big fan of Jack's Joker, and how was Nolan going to create a new story within this world that was interesting and didn't just concentrate on the bad guys.  Well after coming out of the cinema i just don't know how he did it, within the same world as the first one and the stakes on all sides were rised and the story was just so deep.  Ledges Joker was amazing.  Much has been said about the film but it does remain one of the great films of all time and do love it very much.  My only let down with it is that it does feel like a crime film with Batman in and not a Batman film, but at least it doesn't go over old ground and repeat what Batmans strugles are(Spiderman 3 im looking at you) it tries to find new ones for him, with a bad guy who just isn't after anything but chaos.

Im not sure i want a third Batman film in this world as i don't know how Nolan is going to pull it off, but he did it with The Dark Knight and i hope he can do it again.  He has setup a great situation were Batman is the enermy of the Police now, so hope this plays into the story.  But as Inception showed he can create other great films so im glad this will be his last Batman film so he can work on other things and not become all concerned with Batman (like Lucas has with Star Wars).  And maybe Batman will be rebooted again with another young director with a totally different take on the character and Gotham?  Although i hope they wait around 10 years for this and not do a Sony and reboot Spiderman far to early.

< Message edited by goldleader -- 20/9/2011 2:16:07 PM >

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 34
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 21/9/2011 12:27:07 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: threshold

You didn't notice the themes????!!!!!

This

Meanwhile...

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 35
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 16/10/2011 12:51:11 AM   
JIm R

Need to watch these back to back asap

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 36
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 17/10/2011 12:54:26 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Epic cinema from both films on a scale that credit must go to Nolan and his team. Nolan saw what could be done and had the vision to place that on a screen.

Begins brought us a template that simply blew everyone away that summer, it just arrived and my experience of seeing it is my finest cinematic experience beacuse for the first time we saw a character many of us had invested years of love into presented correctly, effectively and with knowledge and passion.

I sat in tears at the end because here was a film I'd spent my life wanting and waitng to see.

The end dialogue between Gordon and Batman defines their relationship and Batman's with the city of Gotham.

I never said thank you

And you'll never have too *head turn and drop*

Perefection.

TDK equally gave us the Joker, not what we expected but a representation that harks back so well to Kane and Finger's concept. Heath's performance a measure of the man's ability.

In turn, Bale 'gets' the multi-faceted Wayne like no other actor before him, Wayne is the mask.

A crime drama with a heart and delivered with an elegance few can match.

The interrgoration scene alone is enough to warrent classic status, two men locked in their own battle for eternity.

TDKR will complete the finest trilogy in cinematic history IMO.

Both films simply beautiful.

This 100%

I wanted to stand up and start applauding at the end of both. I was so excited at the end of Begins, (When Gordon hands Bats the Jokers "calling card") I nearly threw up.

Filming scenes in TDK with Imax was a stroke of genius, as it allows the framing to be fully comic book in style. The scene where Joker blows up the hospital and walks towards camera in full Imax feels like he's going to walk off the screen and straight past you.

All in all, I think they are both works of genius.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 37
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 23/11/2011 7:39:08 PM   
Cool Breeze

Watching these two tonight as a double bill.Lookin forward to the inevitable triple bill around this time next year with TDKR.Might just nudge aside Bourne as the greatest trilogy ever!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 38
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 21/12/2011 8:33:23 PM   
Bill Murray

My problem with "The Dark Knight" is that it feels like a number of dramatic set pieces, serious dialogue and plot exposition all put one after the other, with no sense of flow and togetherness throughout the film. I noticed this on the second time of watching, and it surprised me, as "Memento" felt like the whole equalled the sum of its parts, and that Nolan had directed the flow of the film really well. What I found more interesting is that on rewatching "Batman Begins" I felt it flowed really well, and the film works better than "The Dark Knight" as a result.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 39
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 22/12/2011 10:32:51 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: goldleader

I have been a life long Batman fan which started in the early 80s with re-runs of the 60s show which i used to love, even in its camp stilly way its loads of fun as a kid.  When The Burton films came out i loved them and was caught in the moment like everyone else at the time, as to how great the two films were, it did help that i was 9 when the firat one came out and then 12 with the next one ,so i was the right age for the target audience to be fair, none the less I loved them both then and still do today.  Once Batman forever rolled into town i had grown out of Batman so im one of the lucky ones who never really watched the last two films in this incarnation of the character.  I have wathed them both since and do agree they are best forgotton by all.

Now when Batman Begins was set to come out i was interested in the film but not in over blown hype mode to be honest, the scares from Star Wars were still to deep to ever get over hyped about a film again.  And at the time i was more excited about Superman Returns than a new Batman film, as Superman had been away from the screen far longer and i was hoping for a new superman film more than another Batman film about the bad guys.  Anyway i had seen the trailer and was a fan of Nolan's from Momento and thought Bale would make a good Batman.  I went in cold and have to say came out very hot.  This was a different kind of Batman to anything we had seen before.  Grounded in the real world with an orgin story that explains everything to the none fan and helps the fan understand were a lot of things have come from.  Care was taken making the film and it shows.  Everything Nolan believes in helped make the film stand out, no over use of FX just lots more real stunts, character and story are the main focus not the over blown set peices, although i have a feeling he had to give into the studio with the final set peice on the train before they allowed him free rain on the next film.  As others had mentioned the final scences between Batman and Gordon are just so damn good and really left us wanting more.

Now when The Dark Knight rolled round i stayed hope full that Nolan had done it again, so i stayed well away from any spoilers and only watched the trailer.  I was unsure how Ledger was going to pull off the Joker as i was a big fan of Jack's Joker, and how was Nolan going to create a new story within this world that was interesting and didn't just concentrate on the bad guys.  Well after coming out of the cinema i just don't know how he did it, within the same world as the first one and the stakes on all sides were rised and the story was just so deep.  Ledges Joker was amazing.  Much has been said about the film but it does remain one of the great films of all time and do love it very much.  My only let down with it is that it does feel like a crime film with Batman in and not a Batman film, but at least it doesn't go over old ground and repeat what Batmans strugles are(Spiderman 3 im looking at you) it tries to find new ones for him, with a bad guy who just isn't after anything but chaos.

Im not sure i want a third Batman film in this world as i don't know how Nolan is going to pull it off, but he did it with The Dark Knight and i hope he can do it again.  He has setup a great situation were Batman is the enermy of the Police now, so hope this plays into the story.  But as Inception showed he can create other great films so im glad this will be his last Batman film so he can work on other things and not become all concerned with Batman (like Lucas has with Star Wars).  And maybe Batman will be rebooted again with another young director with a totally different take on the character and Gotham?  Although i hope they wait around 10 years for this and not do a Sony and reboot Spiderman far to early.

Warner Brothers has already confirmed that a reboot will take place after Nolan's finished with the franchise. I hope they take the old Bond approach and just keep making seperate films instead of constantly rebooting the series every decade or so.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 40
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 22/12/2011 10:43:48 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

Warner Brothers has already confirmed that a reboot will take place after Nolan's finished with the franchise. I hope they take the old Bond approach and just keep making seperate films instead of constantly rebooting the series every decade or so.

I hope with all my heart that they stay in the same 'vein' as Nolan, personally, I wouldn't want another Batman film UNLESS directed by Nolan, I know that is an utterly unrealistic hope, and studio's don't work that way. So the best I can hope for and would wish is that whoever takes the baton next (Fincher please !) continues the amazing ground made by Nolan & co and we don't have a re-boot again, keep the same territory generated in this trilogy and take the story forward from wherver we end up at the end of TDKR.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 41
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 22/12/2011 12:29:56 PM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

I hope with all my heart that they stay in the same 'vein' as Nolan, personally, I wouldn't want another Batman film UNLESS directed by Nolan, I know that is an utterly unrealistic hope, and studio's don't work that way. So the best I can hope for and [b]would wish is that whoever takes the baton next (Fincher please !) continues the amazing ground made by Nolan & co and we don't have a re-boot again, keep the same territory generated in this trilogy and take the story forward from wherver we end up at the end of TDKR.

Fincher's Batman would be amazing! If I had to pick one director to take up the mantle after Nolan, Fincher would be my choice too

< Message edited by theieuan -- 22/12/2011 12:30:36 PM >

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 42
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 21/2/2012 9:05:08 PM   
Spaldron

My local cineworld are screening TDK in IMAX Digital this weekend.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 43
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 22/2/2012 7:50:27 PM   
Cool Breeze

Iv never had the pleasure of watching a film in IMAX.Would love to see a classic like this in that format.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 44
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 23/2/2012 6:42:08 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I've been lucky enough to watch both these first time in IMAX, and even saw a IMAX double-bill of them one time! I remember the Tumbler test-drive sequence from BB being superb in that format. It's quite shocking how much of TDK is actually shot on IMAX film - you don't quite notice the first time round and then when you realise it's actually staggering.

I suppose thinking about it now, that's why they had Ledger do all the ADR recording before he left for Parnassus...

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 45
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 23/2/2012 7:04:39 PM   
rich

TDK in IMAX was great, real eye popping stuff particularly the opening and the car chase.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 46
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 23/2/2012 7:22:03 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Murray

My problem with "The Dark Knight" is that it feels like a number of dramatic set pieces, serious dialogue and plot exposition all put one after the other, with no sense of flow and togetherness throughout the film. I noticed this on the second time of watching, and it surprised me, as "Memento" felt like the whole equalled the sum of its parts, and that Nolan had directed the flow of the film really well. What I found more interesting is that on rewatching "Batman Begins" I felt it flowed really well, and the film works better than "The Dark Knight" as a result.

My feelings exactly.
One is a great film (Batman Begins) the other is a great spectacle (The Dark Knight).
Hopefully Nolans batman films continue its very good form for the final act.

(in reply to Bill Murray)
Post #: 47
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 23/2/2012 7:28:00 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

I've been lucky enough to watch both these first time in IMAX, and even saw a IMAX double-bill of them one time! I remember the Tumbler test-drive sequence from BB being superb in that format.

I didn't know they filmed BB in IMAX?

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 48
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 23/2/2012 9:29:55 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

I've been lucky enough to watch both these first time in IMAX, and even saw a IMAX double-bill of them one time! I remember the Tumbler test-drive sequence from BB being superb in that format.

I didn't know they filmed BB in IMAX?

Sorry, I've probably misworded it there. I just meant that particular sequence looked brilliant blown up to IMAX size - it was shot on 35mm.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 49
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 24/2/2012 11:15:33 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFuzz_1989

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ynjjk2c7Y

There you go, maybe this will jog your memory

I LOVE Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score, it's brilliant!

This isn't really a "theme" though, is it? It's music, it's a score. But it's not a "theme". The implied word in "theme" is "tune", and there is a lack of a tune here. Zimmer can do great themes (even if he pinches half of them from Holst) but Begins didn't really have a theme.

Although, that being said, listening to it now, the violins do kind of go "NANANANANANANANA NANANANANANANANA".

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 50
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 24/2/2012 3:23:26 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

If you can hum it, it's a tune! Takes a while, but this ones quite hummable.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 51
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 24/2/2012 6:10:50 PM   
rich

I figured this was it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dGUdE1GoG4&feature=related

Not sure how it has no tune myself

Meanwhile...

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 52
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 25/2/2012 12:19:34 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

The one above is not hummable!

And the one you link to, rich, is more of a motif. It's really not a "theme" in the true sense of the word. I don't recall that music from the film, really. Quite unmemorable, and I'm big on music scores.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 53
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 25/2/2012 4:27:22 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

And the one you link to, rich, is more of a motif. It's really not a "theme" in the true sense of the word. I don't recall that music from the film, really. Quite unmemorable, and I'm big on music scores.

I think the whole purpose of the Zimmerman scores was not to have obvious "big themes" like in the previous films but to go for something with a bit more depth and creativity. Ergo you have signature themes like 'Why So Serious?' (Joker theme) which consist of a single note in ascendancy.

Post #: 54
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 25/2/2012 5:18:56 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

I don't find it very hummable, but I do find it quite drummabble. When the music gets going I can't help but start drumming my fingers along to it.

Post #: 55
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 25/2/2012 5:34:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

Well, there are "dum dee dums" and that added, but yeah, you can hum it!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 56
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 25/2/2012 6:29:22 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

Hmm, there certainly isn't a definite theme for Bats like there was in Burton's and the Animated Series. Wouldn't quite say it has more depth though.

Apparently James Newton Howard is not doing TDKR... which is a shame because he brought a lot of humanity to the previous scores (listen to this for proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-wIg90lagk).
From what I have heard from the score so far though, Zimmer is trying lots of new things, so I'm still quite excited. Hopefully he brings back the Begins tunes, TDK was a bit too synthy for my tastes (part from the Joker's theme).

Anyways, I re-watched Begins the other week which would have been the first time in a while. I truly forgot how great it was, in my (probably unpopular) opinion better then The Dark Knight, mainly for the same reasons Bill Murray gave several posts above. It's the heavy exposition in The Dark Knight and the fact that Bats is a little sidelined that makes it falter for me. Still a great movie nonetheless.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 57
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 10/3/2012 12:19:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUFklia47WM&feature=player_embedded

Go to two minutes into the video. Ledger MUST have based his voice on this.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 58
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 10/3/2012 12:42:00 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Wow, nice find.
I think so, maybe the body language, too.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 59
RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT - 10/3/2012 3:37:30 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFuzz_1989

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Wow, nice find.
I think so, maybe the body language, too.

Holy fucking smoke Batman! Clearly Ledger must have seen this as a kid or something, and when you think about it isn't it a funny coincidence that Waits was in Doctor Parnassus?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI