Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 1/8/2011 12:14:03 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The Pirates! in an Adventure with Aardman - 1/8/2011 12:14:03 PM   
clownfoot

Zing!

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 1/8/2011 12:17:04 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 1/8/2011 12:16:28 PM   
clownfoot

From my blog...

So, hands up who has actually read 'The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists'? (Yes, that exclamation mark is in the correct place). A couple of goofs at the back and… and… is that all? The rest of you have not happened upon this piece of literary comic-genius whilst browsing the shelves of Waterstones? Have you all been opting for the latest historical fiction bobbins from Philippa Gregory instead? You poor deluded fools! For you really are missing out on the antics of the irrepressible, yet perpetually clueless Pirate Captain and his unconventional crew of nameless wonders, as they deliver the pre-requisite adventure, roaring, shanties and grizzly running through alongside fantastically placed anachronisms and general silliness. It's the Monty Python of the high seas; stupendously daft, yet knowing and insightful. Where else are you going to get a lofty discussion on the best way to cook a ham to ensure the meat reduction is minimal that ends in a punch-up?

The good news, therefore, is those of you with bookphobia will soon be able to catch The Pirates! adventure's on a big screen sometime around May 2012. The even better news is rather than make it a live-action movie (which I don't think would have worked - look at Carry on Columbus for feck's sake) the decision has been made to make it an animated adventure. And perhaps the best news ever, those plasticine moulding, stop animation geniuses at Aardman Animations (Wallace & Gromit) are the ones in charge of delivering a plasticine shaped Pirate Captain to the big screen. And the creator of Morph is directing! I think I just let out a little bit of wee...

Okay, so the plot isn't a straight-forward conversion of the Scientists book and seems more like an amalgamation of various aspects of the four title's already written by Gideon Defoe (the Pirate of the Year competition opens The Pirates! adventure with Napoleon and Cutlass Liz only makes her first appearance in their Adventure with Whaling). So it will be interesting to see what they do with the story machinations, particularly the inclusion of Queen Vic (who hasn't appeared in an adventure as yet). Likewise, Hugh Grant as the Pirate Captain? Now you know why a live action version would have sucked. Yet going by the voice casting indicated by IMDB it all looks fairly positive. Anything with Jeremy Piven included is a bonus; Salma Hayek will likely produce the sassiness required for Cutlass Liz; and with Martin Freeman and Russell Povey looking like they'll play a couple of members of the pirate crew (please, please, please let Povey be the albino pirate) all seems well and good. And to top it off, booming birdman voiced Brian Blessed is voicing the Pirate King! Yay, this cannot fail to be awesome.

Anyway, why take my word for it. The first trailer has been released with a roaring shanty over-laying the action and I really can't wait for May next year now. Take a peek for yourselves…

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2011/jul/14/pirates-animation-hugh-grant

Joy! The only thing that could better this news is if any mention of the fifth book is due to be released. A quick scan of Gideon Defoe's 'Pirate Captain' blog reveals… that the next book is likely to be published at the beginning of 2012. This is indeed a happy news day!

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 1/8/2011 9:04:55 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 1/8/2011 12:26:13 PM   
shool

The trailer looks great.
I would like to say my kids will hopefully love this, either way I'll be taking them to see it for my own benefit purely.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 4
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 1/8/2011 12:32:19 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

The trailer looks great.
I would like to say my kids will hopefully love this, either way I'll be taking them to see it for my own benefit purely.

Good man. I'm hoping that it retains some of the books more adult themed nature rather than becoming completely kid friendly. Although I think the bit where the pirates rip all the monkeys up whilst looking for treasure, only to find monkey guts, probably won't be included (and neither for that matter the quality 'pieces of ape' gag from the ship's parrot). 

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 5
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 1/8/2011 12:39:01 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

The trailer looks great.

Good man. I'm hoping that it retains some of the books more adult themed nature rather than becoming completely kid friendly. Although I think the bit where the pirates rip all the monkeys up whilst looking for treasure, only to find monkey guts, probably won't be included (and neither for that matter the quality 'pieces of ape' gag from the ship's parrot). 

Aardman often throw in the odd adult themed gag. I still laugh at the "may contain nuts" gag in Curse of the Were Rabbit.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 6
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 3/8/2011 11:52:42 AM   
NCC1701A

Great Trailer looking forward to seeing this a lot sad that its out next year.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 3/8/2011 11:53:30 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 7
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 9/8/2011 12:52:30 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

Great Trailer looking forward to seeing this a lot sad that its out next year.

Well, stop animation does require patience and time...!

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 8
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 9/8/2011 1:30:21 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've been looking forward to this for months now. It could well be the film of next year.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 9
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 9/8/2011 1:30:55 PM   
elab49

I'm so pleased Aardmaan are doing this - it's one of those things where you assume the genius is utterly unadaptable until you see a marriage made in heaven. That trailer (which I'd missed till now) has just made my day

Can't wait - at the moment this'll be top of my list for anticipated films next year

< Message edited by elab49 -- 9/8/2011 1:31:40 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 10
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 9/8/2011 3:30:12 PM   
MovieAddict247

Agreed with everyone else who's looking forward to this - the trailer was fantastic! I always look forward to Aardman projects - there's so much love in the films and you can tell how much the work means to them. And they are always really, really funny. Bring on next spring (that's ages away!)

Now they've finished produciton on this, I'm waiting for Aardman to announce a new Wallace and Gromit film.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 25/1/2012 12:20:53 PM   
elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16692022

Aardman are too nice. Don't they know tiny orgs are gagging for this kind of publicity with their faux outrage? The story was absurd when they complained - it's disappointing the nice people fell for it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 12
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 25/1/2012 12:27:13 PM   
shool

Shame as thats a funny gag in the trailer.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 25/1/2012 12:32:01 PM   
elab49

It's the deliberate PRness of their intervention that's the offensive bit - a nasty bit of emotional blackmail. I checked their claims at the time of the complaint and I'm not even sure what they do here - it's a very geographically limited disease.

And they've also deliberately not gotten the point

SPOILERS

The joke is the pirates' incompetence and a visual timing gag.

quote:

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 14
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 25/1/2012 1:09:53 PM   
Rebenectomy

Seen the trailer for this last week before Puss in Boots, very excited, especially as it comes out just in time to be part of the wee man's Birthday celebrations. So an hour in Mookey World to get the kids well knackered and then a trip to the cinema afterwards.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 9/3/2012 7:13:35 PM   
Spaldron

I can see this film dying in the US, most Aardman films do sadly, The Yanks don't get the British wit and humour and in the case of Pirates it features Charles Darwin as a character which, considering Darwin is like Hitler for many Americans I cant see them taking their kids along to this.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 16
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists - 12/3/2012 2:38:30 PM   
st3veebee

Aardman can do no wrong in my eyes: Curse of the Wererabbit is one of the greatest animated films, or even films, ever made. However, the ad has made me doubtful of this latest entry. Didn't laugh or snigger once and the characers do nothing for me. Looks nice though.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI