Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 10:10:52 PM   
impqueen

Wow, I knew we would struggle to finish anything but 6th but Jesus that was fucking pathetic. I still dont understand why Coleman was chosen other than the fact hes Welsh. Its such a shame we really were improving* last year.

* Not getting hammered.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 11/9/2012 10:11:17 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 61
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 10:11:05 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Frank Lampard only needs 4 more to equal Alan Shearers tally. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

Four more penalties to go.

Alan Shearer took the penalties as well #justsaying

Yeah but he did it at a time when England didn't dive for penalties because the foreigners hadn't introduced them to diving yet.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 62
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 10:12:20 PM   
BigBadWolf

Did Lee Dixon really think Gerrard was magnificent and the 'best passer of the ball' on the field?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 63
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 10:15:23 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frank Lampard only needs 4 more to equal Alan Shearers tally. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

Yeah but he did it at a time when England didn't dive for penalties because the foreigners hadn't introduced them to diving yet.

I take it you never saw any of any of Michael Owen's England appearances?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 64
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 10:17:18 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I felt Gerrard was ok and minor his usual Hollywood passing atleast there was a better consistency to them.
I really found Lampard to be anonymous tonight.Its like he was unsure rether to be playing in a disciplined deeper role or as a central attacker.
Glenn Johnson was our best attacker,which says it all really.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 65
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 10:22:48 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Newcastle legend Michael Owen?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 66
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 10:25:02 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Newcastle legend Michael Owen?

I'm not familliar with this player at all

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 67
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 11:10:43 PM   
Olaf

The only club in the Premier League with a Ballon d'Or winner on its books is Stoke City. Let that sink in.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 68
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 11:16:08 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

The only club in the Premier League with a Ballon d'Or winner on its books is Stoke City. Let that sink in.

Is the Ballon d'Or the one just after the Gold Cup?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 69
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 11/9/2012 11:20:55 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Is the Ballon d'Or the one just after the Gold Cup?

No, you're thinking of David Beckham.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 70
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/9/2012 12:08:09 AM   
Saltire

Another shoddy performance. Levein has to take the blame for these two results; ok the players aren't great, but he is far too cautious. The only two positives that came out of tonight were that Croatia and Belgium drew their match, and at least we aren't Wales!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 71
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/9/2012 9:17:17 AM   
MOTH

At least Ireland got 3 points!
What?
Oh.
Never mind.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 72
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/9/2012 10:05:44 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Well, that was grim....

In fairness, Macedonia were a far better side than we initially gave them credit for & they'll cause problems for the other four sides in the group; but we were woeful (again) bar the last ten minutes of the first half & lucky to get a point.

It's pretty obvious that despite talking a good game & being seemingly popular with the players, Levein neither inspires nor breeds confidence in their own ability. I no longer have any faith whatsoever that he's the right man for the job.

I accept the argument that now may not be the best time to get rid of him (that'll probably come after Wales & Belgium), but in certain ways, why wait? All we'll be doing is delaying the inevitable & needlessly waiting for the campaign to be over before it's even started. I would love it if he & the players could prove me wrong & get 2 victories in October - but I just can't see it. Even the more realistic target of 4 points looks like a bit of a long shot. Crucially as well, after these 2 matches, that probably wouldn't even be enough in the long run anyway.

At the start of the qualifiers; I reckoned we needed at least 7 wins from 10. With 2 of the less daunting matches out of the way (of which both were at home), achieving that stat with 5 away trips to go & doubleheaders against Croatia/Belgium almost looks like an impossibility under the current regime. The only real cause for maintained optimism is the mathematics, nothing more.

If there's any case to be made for Levein's defence, it comes in the issues we have had in midfield. In both games, we have badly missed the likes of Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown & James McArthur; it's no coincidence the linkage between defence & the final third was non-existent due to their absence & the likes of Caldwell or Adam just don't provide an adequete alternative. Any slender hopes we have left is pretty much dependant on at least 2 of them being fit for the remaining matches. If not, we're in big big trouble - to the extent that finishing bottom of this group is not an unrealistic possibility. It is quite alarming how threadbare we are without that trio to call on.

Towards the end of next year, I'm planning on booking a flight to either Rio or Tokyo for the summer of 2014. It's beginning to look like there will be little doubt in what decision I'll be making.

Nothing like a pair of Scotland matches to make you feel down.

Still, at least we're not Wales. Although that's hardly a crumb of comfort. .

But yeah, bad night all round for the home nations.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 12/9/2012 10:09:06 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 73
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 1:21:18 PM   
Professor Moriarty

An interesting game in Dublin tonight in Ireland tonight as the home team hosts Germany.

What makes the match interesting is that Trapattoni's job is under serious pressure. Qualifying for the Euros was a double-edged sword. On the one hand, great to get there. But on the other the team was so poor that since then the media and many fans have been asking big questions about why some players aren't being selected and a lot more negative comments (he only flies over here for the games, he doesn't scout, what does he do for the money) are getting asked.

On paper the Irish team tonight would look as weak as any that they've fielded, so a potentially heavy defeat at home is possible and that might be the beginning of the end for Trap. Tied in with this is the fact that the Irish FA is not rich and so if qualification to the World Cup is not beckoning there might be pressure to get his team off the wage bill (even though a benefactor pays for Trap).

Of course, some fans might be careful to wish for what they want. Trap exiting could mean another Steve Staunton-type appointment. Or maybe Roy Keane might come in to end the sing song

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 74
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 1:40:40 PM   
Olaf

Sacking him isn't really a possibility either at the moment - the FAI gave him a new contract before the Euros and it'd cost a fortune in compensation (and money they don't have to spend) to get rid. It's a strange one because as you say, we were punching far above our weight to even qualify but the sheer mind-numbing awfulness of the performances can't be ignored. And that's without factoring in the number of players he's managed to alienate from the squad over the last few years.

But my main concern would be the question of who replaces him - the prospect of another Stan would be worse than anything Trap could do, arguably.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 75
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 2:32:49 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

What makes the match interesting is that Trapattoni's job is under serious pressure. Qualifying for the Euros was a double-edged sword. On the one hand, great to get there. But on the other the team was so poor that since then the media and many fans have been asking big questions about why some players aren't being selected and a lot more negative comments (he only flies over here for the games, he doesn't scout, what does he do for the money) are getting asked.

Those questions were being asked before EURO 2012.

I wonder what odds I could get on Germany trashing Ireland by a greater margin than England trashing San Marino.

Reus vs. Ward. Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Ozil vs Andrews, Fahey, McCarthy. Hohoho. LOL.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 76
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:16:28 PM   
directorscut

I'm betting RIGHT NOW that one of Cox's misplaced passes is going to lead to a German goal. It is inevitable. He's done it like 4--5 times already.

Post #: 77
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:20:31 PM   
directorscut

John O'Shea - ten full rosaries tonight before you go to bed.

Post #: 78
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:21:22 PM   
directorscut

Oh well, it lasted longer than I thought it would.

Post #: 79
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:24:04 PM   
Scott_

England/San Marino. The worst game of football in history.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 80
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:27:37 PM   
directorscut

Last five minutes possession: Ireland 2% - 98% Germany.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 81
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:31:44 PM   
Scott_

Really?! Fuck...

Must the same for England but we can't score. Ox is trying to make it happen but Roys dinosaur 4-4-2 is not working...no fluidity in the play.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 82
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:31:54 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

England/San Marino. The worst game of football in history.

Englands crap passing and control is somehow even more evident against San Marino than against decent teams.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 83
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:39:56 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Really?! Fuck...

Must the same for England but we can't score. Ox is trying to make it happen but Roys dinosaur 4-4-2 is not working...no fluidity in the play.

I'm pretty sure that 2% was all Westwood.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 84
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:47:08 PM   
Olaf

If England win by fewer than four goals, Roy must go surely.

Also, I heard Seamie Coleman nutmegged Schweinsteiger, glorious night for us. I'm happy enough to ignore the rest of the game.

Post #: 85
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 8:51:38 PM   
directorscut

Ireland - no changes for second half.

Trap earning his $$$.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 86
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 9:01:24 PM   
directorscut

LOL. Gain a bit of momentum. Force Neuer into a save. Long is on the pitch for 3 minutes. Looking a bit more positive. Concede completely unneeded penalty by player playing for Toronto.

Hohoho.

Ugh.

Post #: 87
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 9:07:07 PM   
directorscut

Classic piece of commentary from Ronnie Whelan tonight(Ireland 0-4 Germany): "This could be extremely embarrassing for Ireland."

Post #: 88
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 9:09:54 PM   
Olaf

A list of San Marino's squad and their full-time professions. It's hard not to be impressed by their effort when you compare it to the 'professionals' playing for Ireland.

GOALKEEPERS
Mattia Manzaroli, 21. Club: San Giovanni. Occupation: Office worker
Aldo Simoncini, 26, Club: A.C. Libertas: Occupation: Accountant
Federico Valentini, 30. Club: S.P. Tre Penne. Occupation: Bank clerk

DEFENDERS
Simone Bacciocchi, 35. Club: Sporting Novafeltria. Occupation: Hospital office worker
Gianluca Bollini, 32. Club: Sporting NovaValmarecchia. Occupation: Owns a removal company with his brother Fabio, who plays in midfield
Cristian Brolli, 20. Club: N/A Occupation: Student
Alessandro Della Valle, 30. Club: Scot Due Emme. Occupation: Bank clerk
Marco Muraccini, 21. Club: N/A Occupation: Student
Mirko Palazzi, 25. Club: N/A Occupation: Professional footballer with Rimini Calcio
Davide Simoncini, 26. Club: Santa Giustina. Occupation: Accountant
Damiano Vannucci, 35. Club: La Fiorita. Occupation: Gym owner
Fabio Vitaioli, 28. Club: S.S. Murata. Occupation: Owns a bar with his brother Matteo, who plays in midfield

MIDFIELDERS
Fabio Bollini, 29. Club: S.S. Murata. Occupation: Runs a removal firm with his brother Gianluca
Lorenzo Buscarini, 21. Club: Cailungo. Occupation: Student
Michele Cervellini, 24. Club: Juvenes Dogana. Occupation: Student
Enrico Cibelli, 25. Club: N/A. Occupation: Barman
Matteo Coppini, 23. Club: Atletico Montecchio. Occupation: Works for an olive oil company
Alex Gasperoni, 28. Club: S.P. Tre Penne. Occupation: Owns a company which fits lighting in farm buildings
Pier Filippo Mazza, 24. Club: Sant'Ermete Calcio. Occupation: Student
Marco Rosti, 23. Club: S.P. Tre Penne. Occupation: Student
Matteo Vitaioli, 22. Club: San Marino Calcio. Occupation: Owns a bar with his brother Fabio.

FORWARDS
Alessandro Bianchi, 23. Club: Folgore/Falciano. Occupation: Shop worker
Manuel Marani, 28. Club: U.S. Russi. Occupation: Works for a soft drinks company
Danilo Rinaldi, 26. Club: N/A Occupation: Works for a furniture company

Post #: 89
RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil - 12/10/2012 9:12:23 PM   
directorscut

PODOLSKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

Is on.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Word Cup 2014 - Brazil Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI