Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Super 8 - Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Super 8 - Review Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Super 8 - Review - 14/12/2011 11:05:24 PM   
Super Hans

POTENTIAL MILD SPOILERS, IF YOU'RE A REAL PICKY BASTARD.....

Just saw this on rental - absolutely loved it!  I've never really been an ET fan (I'm more than overdue another viewing though...) but this kind of 'ET with a horror twist' was just my cup of tea.  Nostalgic, exciting, tense, thrilling and heartwarming, for me it has it all.  I loved the fact that Abrams really keeps us waiting when it comes to actually seeing his monster - exactly the way it should be.

Highly recommended by me!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."
Post #: 91
RE: Super 8 - Review - 16/12/2011 4:44:50 PM   
bozo

They don't make them like this anymore. Pure joy from start to finish. The freshest, most emotionally involving blockbuster of the year.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 92
RE: Super 8 - Review - 16/12/2011 4:46:51 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo
They don't make them like this anymore.

They did, this year

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 93
RE: Super 8 - Review - 17/12/2011 8:37:45 PM   
kargon

It was alright, not too bad, dont know what all the fuss is about though a 3 starrer in my book

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 94
Thoroughly good fun - 19/12/2011 12:59:10 AM   
jrewing1000

I love JJ Abrahams. He injects so much joy and fun into his movies, real flair for the spectacular.

While I really really enjoyed this film, the second half slipped away - I'd have to agree with the reviewer on this one. The first half was a beautiful study of growing up, having a crush etc. Then the film just opens up into a bog standard (although great fun) action movie.

Disappointing overall, but so much good stuff within, you won't regret the viewing. And the train crash is nothing short of astonishing (I watched it back three times in a row on DVD).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 95
RE: Excellent - 30/12/2011 12:28:18 PM   
narmour

I'm beginning to think that I watched a different film to everyone else... this was poorly acted (with the exception of the young girl), badly scripted, Americana tosh.

There was nothing in this film to hold my attention (after the train crash which it would seem used up the bulk of the budget, leaving nothing for everything else) and there was audible groans in the room at the disgustingly cheesy ending.

I am giving it one star because we made it to the end, but that was partly because it gave us 2 hours peace from my girlfriend's nephew who is too young to watch it (lucky him).

(in reply to NicCagesEyes)
Post #: 96
a big dissapointment - 3/1/2012 6:45:21 PM   
mclane1

it was classic style filmaking but it nowhere near met the hype, it wasnt a scary monster movie, it wasnt a goonies thrilling adventure, it wasnt emotional or moving. just a movie about some kids, albeit fleshed out kids, who find a monster thats not much of a threat in a small town we've seen many times before.

Post #: 97
RE: okay but over-hyped - 5/1/2012 6:40:52 PM   
anakin solo

I really enjoyed this movie as did my dad and mom, the creature was great and as were the acting of the human actors especially the four children and the girl, great acting from the actor from king kong as joe's father. The action scenes were great and their were some great laugh out moments from the kids themselves my favorite scene was the projectile vomiting from the kid with the specs in the back of the military bus.
But was surprised that I know like something that JJ.Abrams has done and not made confusing, but I guess that comes from spielburg's influence. But the film is great and look forward to watching it again to properly see what was going on due to sky box office pixelating due to the weather.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 98
RE: Super 8 - 6/1/2012 8:36:33 AM   
sugarbabe1978

This film was excellent, it had suspense, charm, excitement. I loved the characters. An updated version of ET. Lovely summer flick.!

Post #: 99
RE: Super 8 - 14/1/2012 1:15:12 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

An excellent film,one that is steeped in nostalgic 80's and early 90's classic family films.
The action scenes were great,the story was solid and above all the acting was extremely good,especially from the kids (once again american kid actors run the rule over there british counterparts ie Harry Potter,The Dr Who tv series,Attack The Block etc).

Super 8 is a super film.
Must see.

(in reply to sugarbabe1978)
Post #: 100
RE: Super 8 - 15/1/2012 3:11:06 PM   
Tech_Noir

SPOILERS

Good first half, predictable second. Elle Fanning was amazing throughout.

As noted in another post I would have preferred it if there was no alien/military, etc. just a fun coming of age story about these kids.

Also I couldn't tell if we were meant to feel sorry for the alien or not. Towards the end I was losing interest but was the alien eating those humans?

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 101
RE: Super 8 - 15/1/2012 3:26:48 PM   
Shifty Bench

That's the main problem I have with the ending too. SPOILERS BELOW

It's like we are meant to feel glad the man-eating monster got away. Doesn't matter that it can now bring its mates down to the buffet planet, apparently. Loved the film but the ending was rubbish.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 102
RE: Super 8 - 15/1/2012 5:11:00 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

It's like we are meant to feel glad the man-eating monster got away. Doesn't matter that it can now bring its mates down to the buffet planet, apparently. Loved the film but the ending was rubbish.

Surprisingly that issue flew-way-over my head.
See I was focusing more on the Father and Son relationship,but yes your right.How are we suposed to feel towards the Alien?
Glad he broke free but he also killed/ate humans for breakfast.

Sill very much enjoyed it though.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 103
RE: Super 8 - 15/1/2012 5:40:24 PM   
Tech_Noir

The father/son relationship didn't work for me, seemed very cliched (although that may be intentional). The interaction between Alice and Joe was probably the only thing that kept me interested.

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 104
RE: Super 8 SPOILERS IN POST! - 15/1/2012 5:47:31 PM   
JohnChard

SPOILERS IN POST!

I adore the ending, crowns it all off nicely. It's about letting go, new beginnings, the monster going home is very significant and we should feel glad that it is finally going home after years of being held captive by man. Saying the creature might return with its mates is irrelevant, it's going home where it belongs, and the two motherless families, in their own homes, can now rebuild a new life. The necklace metaphor is sheer class.

< Message edited by JohnChard -- 15/1/2012 5:49:02 PM >

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

Post #: 105
RE: Super 8 SPOILERS IN POST! - 15/1/2012 5:59:44 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnChard

SPOILERS IN POST!

I adore the ending, crowns it all off nicely. It's about letting go

It was a good ending, except for the 'letting go' theme, which couldn't have been less subtle if they'd have written it on their arse cheeks and all pulled a mooney at the end.

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 106
RE: Super 8 SPOILERS IN POST! - 15/1/2012 8:39:48 PM   
JohnChard

Do you honsetly think Abrams had any notion of that thematic being subtle?

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 107
good... - 22/1/2012 3:47:03 PM   
jackcarlin18

it was good... but not that good. they sholdnt have gave the monster emotions, or even showed its face for that matter...

Post #: 108
Outstaning Super 8 - 23/2/2012 10:50:42 PM   
lynnshep

Wonderful surprise. Moving, scary, funny homage to Speilberg. Well done film. Where is the Oscar attention for this film?

Post #: 109
Outstanding Super 8 - 23/2/2012 10:50:43 PM   
lynnshep

Wonderful surprise. Moving, scary, funny homage to Speilberg. Well done film. Where is the Oscar attention for this film?

< Message edited by lynnshep -- 23/2/2012 10:51:24 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: Outstanding Super 8 - 3/4/2012 2:36:19 PM   
Vitamin F

Whoever posted the "ET with lens flare" poster on another thread summed this up well. How fake and unnecessarily intrusive was that??! (I haven't checked if it IS fake but it sure looks it!)

It's a kids film, but a good kids film. Nothing 'blow your mind' but a good old fashioned yarn that's entertaining and not taxing...

And then there's that ending...dear o dear, why did they have to give it such a mawkish conclusion?

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 111
Super Lame - 3/4/2012 6:34:28 PM   
rich

Why bother trying to capture the 80s spirit of the Goonies or E.T. when it's all so ... boring? The kids are not bad actors and it's well made but who cares when it drags so badly? I didn't connect with any of the melodrama and had no idea if the alien was supposed to be sympathetic or not when it's killing people at random. Horror or adventure? Pick one, don't just choose some grey middle area. Total waste after Star Trek was so much fun.

< Message edited by rich -- 3/4/2012 6:36:18 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to serious_syd)
Post #: 112
RE: Film! - 7/5/2012 7:17:15 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

Really worth a watch very good indeed very well made. Abrams loves that lens flare. Great acting all round and great characters.

Just got round to watching it on this rainy BH today and I have to say it didn't live up to my expectations. I also found the forementioned lens flare very very iritating, at some points in the film it almost took up a third of the film.
I too thought there were elements of The Goonies with the interplay of the kids, who were all good, which I rather liked. To call the film Super 8 baffled me really. They hardly used their camera throughout the film and I would have liked them to have documented the events with their camera much more. Above average, but no more.

3/5

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 113
RE: Film! - 7/5/2012 7:17:24 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

Really worth a watch very good indeed very well made. Abrams loves that lens flare. Great acting all round and great characters.

Just got round to watching it on this rainy BH today and I have to say it didn't live up to my expectations. I also found the forementioned lens flare very very iritating, at some points in the film it almost took up a third of the film.
I too thought there were elements of The Goonies with the interplay of the kids, who were all good, which I rather liked. To call the film Super 8 baffled me really. They hardly used their camera throughout the film and I would have liked them to have documented the events with their camera much more. Above average, but no more.

3/5

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 114
RE: Super 8 - 7/5/2012 9:31:55 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

What I took from it was that the alien was lonely and wanted some sort of emotional connection. Hence the amassed collection of personal artifacts. And the actions of the young lad appealed to the alien's better conscience. It's pure Spielberg but with a chocolate salty pretzel-y mix. Although if the alien's made Earth a new interstellar Little Chef, I'm sure they happily munch on the plat du jour. To serve man springs to mind.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 7/5/2012 9:32:43 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 115
RE: Super 8 - 8/5/2012 1:12:04 PM   
UTB

Need to watch this again. Watched over Christmas and can't remember much about it other than the unnecessarily long shot of the necklace at the end and the kid 'letting go' which might as well have been written on the bottom of a frying pan and spange me in the face in 3D.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 116
- 15/4/2013 4:41:36 PM   
samzucca

Super 8 is everything brilliant about J.J Abrams and Steven Spielberg rolled into one. It has the real feel of the period and has traditional styles which are endangered nowadays. Super 8 is a masterpiece whoever may argue.

Post #: 117
NOT E.T BUT STILL BRILLIANT!!!! - 4/10/2013 10:14:20 AM   
*Dyn0mitedeck*

I don't want to be unfair about the film because to me it's more like 'the goonies' meets 'cloverfield' then meets E.T and the enjoyment of it is just fantastic everyone of these kids you can relate to at least one of them. compared to E.T it's a four star but as a film on it's own it's five

Post #: 118
NOT E.T BUT STILL BRILLIANT!!!! - 4/10/2013 10:15:31 AM   
*Dyn0mitedeck*

I don't want to be unfair about the film because to me it's more like 'the goonies' meets 'cloverfield' then meets E.T and the enjoyment of it is just fantastic everyone of these kids you can relate to at least one of them. compared to E.T it's a four star but as a film on it's own it's five

Post #: 119
NOT E.T BUT STILL BRILLIANT!!!! - 4/10/2013 10:15:32 AM   
*Dyn0mitedeck*

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Super 8 - Review Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI