Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Super 8

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Super 8 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Super 8 - 10/8/2011 2:27:39 PM   
DavidKing

Terrific review. One of the best I've read from Empire.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Super 8 - 10/8/2011 7:11:04 PM   
TrendMeUp

Jesus bloody Christ, if I hear one more person bang on about Spielberg's films in relation to this one I may actually explode. Yes there are some obvious homages but that's all. These comparisons are so lazy. I found the film to be fairly unique in some ways. Anyhow I thought it was moving and fun and fascinating. The main 3 kids were particularly excellent (much better than the scene chewing adults) and I even thought the slighty smaltzy ending worked in context. Lovely stuff.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to DavidKing)
Post #: 62
RE: Super 8 - 10/8/2011 7:35:48 PM   
Dr Lenera

February 1979, in the town of Lillian, Ohio.  Elizabeth Lamb has been killed in an accident, leaving young Joe just with a father who has never really been there for him due to his job as the Sheriff. Four months later it is summer, and Joe and some friends are making a short zombie movie to enter in a competition.  Joe is also starting to experience the pangs of first love for the Alice, the female lead of the film.  Whilst shooting a scene at the railway station, they are witness to a dreadful train crash, possibly caused by a car on the track.  Lot of strange white cubes are scattered about and their science teacher is discovered, dying and warning them not to tell anyone what they have seen.  Soon after that the military start showing up and something is possibly stalking the town………..

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a detailed review of Super 8, but the film did provoke a curious reaction as I exited the cinema though, namely that I wasn't sure if it was a good film or not.  I'm still not convinced.  For most of its length, it's a nicely low key story with considerable charm and a real sense of time, place and that moment when a child starts to develop slight characteristics of an adult.  The film has considerable flaws though, and I wonder if its basic idea should have stayed an idea, because, though certainly beguiling [it was of course influenced by J.J.Abrams' own childhood]  it's somewhat botched as seen here.  Of course it's largely a tribute to films like The Goonies and Stand By Me and reminded somewhat oddly of The Iron Giant; unfortunately it's also a partial tribute to the horrid E.T.The Extra Terrestrial, a film I dislike with a passion [though I adore Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, so it's probably just this critic again demonstrating his bizarre taste], though it's considerably better than that!

The early moments set the stage with considerable economy, with just a few short scenes somehow transmitting some of the pain and sadness of Joe's mother's death, and we get a sense of all the characters almost immediately.  This is one really great thing about this movie – virtually all the main protagonists, including the adults, are believable, convincing and undergo some form of character development without it seeming false and put in just for drama's sake.  The first half hour of Super 8 really is quite superb, having a wonderful nostalgic glow about it.  You really feel like you are watching a film from the late 70s or the early 80s because the setting is so convincingly rendered and the film is even shot like one.  Scenes showing the kids making their film are wonderfully charming and very funny, while Joe's growing interest in Alice is genuinely sweet.  Then the movie makes its first misstep with the train crash.  It might be spectacular, but the train in no way looks like it's part of the film, the CGI being really bad here.  Still, tension now starts to develop and Abrams shows how good he might be making a straight horror film, with two scenes of people being stalked by the 'monster' being very good indeed, with especially effective use of sound like a gentle wind blowing or a railway signal creaking.  Sadly, after one quite scary little scene which is a variation on the terrifying 'birthday party' bit from Signs, tension than begins to quickly evaporate with lots of scenes involving the military, which quite frankly could have been cut; I think it would have been much better to show everything from the children's point of view.

Towards the end, the pace suddenly becomes very fast but the film almost goes off the rails, lost in a glut of shoddy CGI and terrible editing.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's the Curse Of The One-Second Edit, The Random Close Up and The Shaking Camera again, so that during the action you can't really see what's going on and just get sore eyes.  Now I didn't actually mind it too much in Star Trek and it suited Cloverfield, but for a film set in 1979 and ostensibly in the style of a much older movie, this approach is a disaster. One scene involving being trapped in a van and glass starting to crack shows how much better Steven Spielberg can do this sort of thing.  As for the effects, I wondered at one point if they were deliberately fake looking, in an imitation of the effects you may find in a '79 film, but then I decided that probably wasn't the case, because most effects from a film of that year look so much better.  The actual creature looks okay in close up but when he's moving about – well, I was never convinced he was actually there.  The film as a whole gets almost disastrous towards the end, with the kids running to seemingly every building in town for whatever reason, and shouting "what's happening?” every minute, the army shooting at seemingly nothing, and two of the most idiotic "huh?” scenes, both involving the creature,  I've seen in ages.  The ending really wants to be uplifting, but just feels fake, forced and rushed.  I never thought I'd say this, but despite enjoying a great many films about aliens, I would much rather had the whole film be about the making of the zombie film, the romance, in fact everything except the alien and military stuff, because those elements of the film are so well judged and likeable. The rest just feels tacked on and just hasn't been thought through.  I wonder if Abrams realises this, because he treats us to the completed zombie film at the end, and it's a joy to watch, better, in fact, than the proceeding half an hour.

I've already said how the direction is all over the place, and in addition to what I've already mentioned, there are countless Spielberg – like shots such as the 'people looking up at something in awe', which is annoyingly overused, and a ridiculous amount of lens flares. I know it's an Abrams trademark but really overdone here.  The acting though is quite superb by everyone, including the younger cast.  They are mostly cast as stereotypes, purposely I'm sure – you know, the fat one, the nerdy one, the 'normal' one, etc, but care in the writing and perfectly pitched performances really make them into real people, maybe just a bit like you may have been when you were young.  I was especially impressed with Elle Fanning as Alice; she manages to convey both childlike innocence and a kind of 'wise beyond her years' wisdom.  Her scene when she gets carried away acting a major scene is simply wonderful.  Michael Giacchino's score sounds so much like John Williams I actually thought it was him at first [even though I know Giacchino usually does Abrams' stuff], it replicates his chords, his instrumentation, everything, though Giacchino doesn't really have Williams' knack for memorable themes.  There is a lot of good stuff in Super 8, and it's an easy film to like, but there really is a great deal of crap in it as well, as if Abrams wasn't really sure what film he was trying to make.  I sure as hell wasn't sure what film I was watching.
6.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 63
RE: Super 8 - 10/8/2011 9:35:26 PM   
evil bill

Well how do you top Cloverfield and the Star Trek re imaging,well do a film based on your favourites from your childhood.And here we we have a well-crafted heart warming homage to Steven Spielberg's early films like E.T,Close Encounters and Jaws.And ones he didn't actually direct himself like The Goones,Arachnaphobia,and Poltergeist to name but a few.There also nods and winks to so many other films,to many to list,in this look back to a better time with better films,that had heart and story over effects.A story of kids making a Zombie film while a mother dies,a train crashes,and an alien walks amongst them.But the alien is a sub plot,for this is more about childhood and lost innocence,about growing older and the choices you must make while grief haunts you.

The acting was very convincing on the whole,with a cast of unknowns,and young characters played extremely well by Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney. They interact well,and add to the main plot in that rose-tinted view of childhood so favoured by Spielberg, who is the producer on this film,giving that added interest.Though for such a well produced film the CGI is a bit ropey at times,and i did not like the digital look,for this is suppose to be nostalgia.It should have used good old fashioned film stock,and did with out the shaky camera work,which in a film like this is off putting.

J.J. Abrams once again though proves he is the best at this sort of B movie blockbuster,with the first first 40 minutes full of suspense,some amazing scenes,a great opening,and superb script/story.This is missing from the current crop of CGI laden, lacklustre adventure flicks,aimed at the popcorn teens who are brought upon a diet of X Factor and brainless pop videos.Super 8 distinguishes itself by having a a heart and brains,by being more than the sum of it's maybe flawed but wonderful parts.Though it is also let down by a predictable dull ending,but maybe they just added to much to the mix,and ran out of a final blast.All in all i still enjoyed Super 8, it was a terrific film experience,that needs the big screen,and loves the big screen,it's where film belongs,not on downloadsMe feeling like a chunk of genuine nostalgia is needed well here i got it in spades,and so i give it 7/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 64
RE: Super 8 - 10/8/2011 10:00:44 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

Jesus bloody Christ, if I hear one more person bang on about Spielberg's films in relation to this one I may actually explode. Yes there are some obvious homages but that's all. These comparisons are so lazy. I found the film to be fairly unique in some ways. Anyhow I thought it was moving and fun and fascinating. The main 3 kids were particularly excellent (much better than the scene chewing adults) and I even thought the slighty smaltzy ending worked in context. Lovely stuff.

Agreed.  When I see these citations toward Spielberg and "Spielberg-lite" I have to ask myself where in any of the homaged films is there a scene or scenes as good as the ones here between actual humans?  Anthropomorphising a piece of rubber or a glove puppet can surely melt the heart of an audience.  You might even call the oohs and ahs that E.T. elicits genre exploitation.  Exploitation in the sense that the film maker knows the buttons he's pressing with the audience and pushes them with intent.  But Abrams has affected much the same thing here between human characters, shy of the mawkishness of course.  His film has great naturalism to it and shows great faith in the young actors to express their warmth and sensitivity in a measured way so obvious devices of sympathy aren't needed.  Is a bereavement a device of sympathy?  You know what?It might be, but then again it's handled with such evident dignity that I certainly wasn't going to resent it when I saw it. (I think the opening shot is one of the most tactful and discrete forms of exposition you can possibly get). 

The monster stuff I could take or leave.  I thought it was fine.  Despite the fact that I, like everybody else, went in for the monster movie I was beguiled in the first hour by something much more interesting.  I thought it was a fantastic period piece as well.  This is not over thinking a Summer entertainment.  The fact is that if you grew up in that era and were familiar with these seminal movies then creating that sense of nostalgia is a big bloody deal.  In the 00's there was a rash of films wryly depicting the 80s as the new period playground.  Everything from Boogie Nights, The Wedding Singer, Donnie Darko right up to Adventureland and yes, even Hot Tub Time Machine and you get the sense from watching these that the period is captured by dressing the actors, giving them the haircuts and making dialogue references to 80's TV shows (ok, Donnie is an exception, it absolutely captures the spirit too) .  Abrams here, has really applied the science of how these amber-cast blockbusters of yore were visualised, and does it brilliantly.  It's positively grin-inducing to see the blocked shots of the anarchic Kaznyk household, the same too with the orchestrated shambles of directing the train station farewell (best scene in it, in my humble onion).

So to my mind, Abrams has made a brilliant kids-based drama (it's a family movie, it's allowed to err on the side of twee), then a brilliant period film...and all this before we get to the monster.  Then Abrams has to get out of bed in the morning and begin worrying about monster design, set-pieces, effects and God knows what other soul-destroying practicalities of a digital creature feature.  It may not be perfect.  I think he has excelled at two massive challenges and made a bloody good fist of the third.  But whether or not you think it's perfect, or far from it, the idea that Spielberg or anyone else could toss this off in their sleep at any stage of their career is an effing joke....and I do believe this is where I came in.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 10/8/2011 11:13:31 PM >

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 65
RE: Super 8 - 10/8/2011 10:35:16 PM   
BatFan

quote:

JJ Abrams has gone on record as saying that the whole idea behind Super 8 was making a film that could have been directed or produced by Spielberg in the 80's.
If the idea behind the film was to be like these films, then to complain when people actually compare these films is ridiculous.

< Message edited by BatFan -- 10/8/2011 10:36:14 PM >

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 66
RE: Super 8 - 10/8/2011 11:08:01 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

JJ Abrams has gone on record as saying that the whole idea behind Super 8 was making a film that could have been directed or produced by Spielberg in the 80's.
If the idea behind the film was to be like these films, then to complain when people actually compare these films is ridiculous.

If that's the underlying premise then by the same token the Spielberg influence goes without saying.  "He's mimicking Spielberg", yes we know, that's the point.  "Yeah, but he's copying Spielberg", yes, we know, that's the point.  So taking the Spielberg stick to beat this film with is kind of pointless too.  Trend has said, and I agree, that the film earns its own identity, and I think it is very distinct in a lot of (possibly overlooked) areas.  To keep coming back to the Spielberg model is valid yes, but it's also blatantly obvious, and in the grand scheme of things, short sighted as well.    

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 67
RE: Super 8 - 10/8/2011 11:58:42 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

If that's the underlying premise then by the same token the Spielberg influence goes without saying.  "He's mimicking Spielberg", yes we know, that's the point.  "Yeah, but he's copying Spielberg", yes, we know, that's the point.  So taking the Spielberg stick to beat this film with is kind of pointless too.  Trend has said, and I agree, that the film earns its own identity, and I think it is very distinct in a lot of (possibly overlooked) areas.  To keep coming back to the Spielberg model is valid yes, but it's also blatantly obvious, and in the grand scheme of things, short sighted as well.    

Sorry,but "obvious homages,that's all",emmm no according to the bloody director of the film!How is that also "lazy"???
Is it not ruddy lazy to crank out such an idea?And in my opinion fail miserably.
Is the absolute irony here,that Spielberg himself cannot direct/produce to the high standard he set many years ago,and an attempt by someone else to do so is futile?
And stop knocking people who call Abrams out on it.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 68
overated seen it all before nonsense - 11/8/2011 12:23:30 AM   
johnas7

how this movie is getting good reviews is beyond me. seen it all before and done far better. very very poor nearly none excistant story and wow, a big alien. boring.

Post #: 69
RE: Super 8 - 11/8/2011 5:39:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

I saw this yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a loving (intentional) homage to Spielberg films. The kids were great, especially Elle Fanning who gave the film's best performance. Sure, there were moments of over-sentimentality, it didn't really bother me. As someone who has recently lost two members of his family in the space of a fortnight, the film actually struck a chord with me. I do have one (spoiler-filled) question though-

Were we supposed to actually feel sorry for the alien at the end? You know, the alien that killed and ate people? The alien that they let escape to get to it's own planet so it can bring all its mates down the buffet planet.......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to johnas7)
Post #: 70
RE: Super 8 - 12/8/2011 7:06:51 PM  1 votes
cerebusboy

Saw and loved this film, and it puzzles me that some thought it was 'just' a pastiche. The kids are at least as 3-dimensional as anything in the bloody Goonies. And some critics, generally sniffy about spielbergian "sentimentality", have rightly talked about the brilliantly observed and evocative 'zombie makeup scene'.

And
SPOILER ! SPOILER! SPOILER!

it's obvious that the character let go of the locket to effectively symbolise letting go of needless dwelling on pain. As he says to the Alien (paraphrasing, saw this last friday) : "I know it hurts, but you can still keep living".

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 71
Loved it! - 14/8/2011 4:44:50 PM   
oldstuff

Its not perfect, it seems to end a bit too quickly and without much logic BUT it was awfully reminiscent of early Spielberg, featured good peformances from the cast, had some great set-pieces and I was hooked from the start. I'd certainly recommend this film and everyone I've spoken to thus far has said that it just transports them back to the magic they felt watching the likes of E.T and that can't be too bad!

Post #: 72
RE: Loved it! - 14/8/2011 5:16:21 PM  1 votes
TrendMeUp

I'm aware that Abrams set out to pay homage to Spielberg. But I don't think that is the defining premise of the film and I don't think it's fair to focus 80 percent of reviews on it when A. We all know it's influenced by Spielberg and B. The film has plenty of more interesting talking points than a few homages. And I'm sorry, but I do find it extremely lazy reviewing, particularly when it is the focal point of the review. It's like when people write "it's Tarantino meets Memento!" or "it's Fight Club ON ACID". It's just drivel to try and describe something by comparing it to something else. I'm not saying mentioning the fact it knowingly references Spielberg is idiotic, but people keep banging on about it needlessly.

Also, the act of homage itself isn't lazy. It's a far cry from just ripping something off, which I cannot see how anyone could say Abrams is doing here. And Spielberg incapable of producing quality cinema these days? Did you miss Munich?

(in reply to oldstuff)
Post #: 73
RE: Loved it! - 14/8/2011 6:49:09 PM   
thetruth

quote:

I'm aware that Abrams set out to pay homage to Spielberg. But I don't think that is the defining premise of the film and I don't think it's fair to focus 80 percent of reviews on it when A. We all know it's influenced by Spielberg and B. The film has plenty of more interesting talking points than a few homages. And I'm sorry, but I do find it extremely lazy reviewing, particularly when it is the focal point of the review. It's like when people write "it's Tarantino meets Memento!" or "it's Fight Club ON ACID". It's just drivel to try and describe something by comparing it to something else. I'm not saying mentioning the fact it knowingly references Spielberg is idiotic, but people keep banging on about it needlessly.

Also, the act of homage itself isn't lazy. It's a far cry from just ripping something off, which I cannot see how anyone could say Abrams is doing here. And Spielberg incapable of producing quality cinema these days? Did you miss Munich?

I take your point,but....firstly,i have said this isnt a bad film.Ironically,most of the people talking it up are the ones using ET,Goonies references etc.
Let's not kid ourselves,it's no ET.
There are so many homages in this film i do feel it borders on lazy.You can say it isn't a rip-off,but it isn't original.
As for Munich,see Indy 4,War of the Worlds,The Terminal,AI etc.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 74
RE: Loved it! - 14/8/2011 7:00:46 PM   
TrendMeUp

Nowt wrong with War Of The Worlds. I'd argue the film is very original. But I don't really wish to argue.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 75
RE: Loved it! - 14/8/2011 9:27:34 PM   
CORLEONE

A good film. Good performances from the kids and some truly heartwarming scenes. Was a little light on the action, but I thought the alien was great. A nice mix between The Goonies and E.T. but nowhere near as good as either.

3.5 stars.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 76
RE: Loved it! - 14/8/2011 9:46:52 PM   
thetruth

quote:

Nowt wrong with War Of The Worlds. I'd argue the film is very original. But I don't really wish to argue.

Me neither!
Alien films cause me hassle for some reason!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 77
RE: Loved it! - 15/8/2011 10:57:13 PM   
barracute

I loved this film, a very heartfelt tribute to the films of you-know-who, the performances were all excellent, especially Ellie Fanning when she was acting in the film-within-a-film. The train crash was spectacular and the monster not as bad as some people are making out. But for me the relationships between the kids and between the kids and their parents were what made this so memorable. Seeing the two Dads together at the end and reuniting with the kids was a perfect ending - but also using the completed film-within-the-film during the credits was inspired and a great treat. 

Certainly the best film i have seen this year

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 78
RE: Loved it! - 16/8/2011 9:58:40 AM   
brucejackiejet

Saw this on the weekend and thought it was very entertaining. Good measures of heart, suspense and wonder. Having said that, the earlier criticisms about it being two different films melded together are probably justified. It didn't feel like there was any smooth transition between the childhood angst and the evil military/alien hunt for the vast majority of the film, and thinking about it now - it could've been interesting to see both stories given their own movie and consequently a bit more breathing space.

I thought the acting from all the kids was great, which was refreshing given how irritating they can sometimes be in films. To be honest though, as good as Elle Fanning was, I could have done without the love story between her and Joe. The relationship and banter between all the boys was far more interesting (and believeable) than the idea that the cool pretty girl in school conveniently falls for the geeky model-building kid with the good heart. If that's the case then I wish I'd gone to J J Abrams school  

For me I think if they'd focused less on the love story and more on a Goonies-style romp it could've been a real classic - especially given the talent of the kids.

< Message edited by brucejackiejet -- 16/8/2011 9:59:32 AM >

(in reply to barracute)
Post #: 79
RE: Loved it! - 16/8/2011 2:12:56 PM   
Deviation

Well that ending had me close to tears, so I think it did a very good job to suck me into the drama. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 80
The goonies Meets An Evil E.T, awesome film. - 16/8/2011 7:36:08 PM  1 votes
lewisb548

JJ Abrams has gifted our cinema with Cloverfield and Star Trek, well Super 8 is better than both and far better than the Bloody Goonies. Its fair to say that Super 8 is both a tribute to happier times and to happier movies, that said there are the few tragedesque scenes in Super 8.
Well the storys about Joe, his loud friends and the beatiful Elle Fanning who drive out to do a midnight shoot of a zombie movie their trying to make, but oh-oh! The train passes by and crashes into a car which deliberately drove onto the road causing a gi-normous train crash which resembles more of a battlefield in the after math rather than the scene of a crash.
And something uh-oh has escaped from the wreckage and is causing the "disappearances" of several townsfolks including the town sherrif and a stupid looking employee working at a garage.
While Super 8 is lacking in action and could have been darker too, its one of those rare films that actually has emotion unlike the Final Destination franchise which is determined to make their characters die as well as us for having to suffer through the shite sequels.
Now Super 8 is emotianal, our hero Joe is mourning the loss of his mother, who died in an accident at work, because she took the shift of her co-worker who happens to be Elle Fannings father. Joe and his fathers relationship is delicately handled, mostly due to Joe's fathers real, lack of care for his son, the two dont really talk and never saw eye to eye, and spend nights out eating in bars, rather than at home.
Was this a biopic of me and my fathers relationship? Probably.
Anyway, the two soon reconcile as Joes dad, a deputy police officer tries to save the town from the alien and the military, as unbeknownst to him, his son tries to do the same in secret. Nothing like an alien invasion/killing spree to bring a father and son together, well Bruce Willis won over Bonnie Bedellia because he killed a lot of people, maybe if Joe saves his town, he can can go out with Elle Fanning and reconcile with his father. Remember what I said about happier times?
Well the rest of the gang are given little resolution other than Elle Fanning and Joel Courteney, who have a little on screen romance which is surprisingly touching, there is a particular scene where he is dabbing her face with make-up and it is absolutely beatiful, because Courteney actually convinced me, he may have been in love with Elle Fanning at that moment, well who wouldn't be in love with her? Her performance bests the likes of her older sister, Dakota who I believe was a bad child actor. Theres a scene where Elle Fanning is rehearsing a line and tears are springing from her eyes, because she's so damn convincing as an actor. Rather than cry in movies, I get goosebumps at highly beatiful,touching and iconic scenes and moments in films.
Elle Fanning and Joel Courteney put on un-believably brilliant performances, as the two children seperated by a family feud and bound by their compatibility, the other kids in the gang admittedly put on good performances, most notably Charles the movie buff and director of the film the group are making, while Charles wasn't as funny as his character should have been, the boy can act and just like most of the main characters in this film, makes good use of his close ups.
And I have to make mention to a particullaryl touching scene where Fanning is dressed in zombie make up, and closing her eyes and doing a zombie impression she tries to wow! Joe with her zombie acting, moaning and shuffling etc. and as she closes her eyes mouth open as a zombie, its pretty obvious Joe wants to snog her, the comedic and romantic value of this scenes has made not only an impression on me but on fellow movie buffs and critics.
Super 8 was surprisingly gory for a 12 film particularly when it dealt with the death scenes of the both the baddies and the goodies.
And some comic relief does flow from the heart of a stoner Donny the group run into.
Super 8 maintains a serious,dramatic and both comedic and warm hearted atmosphere through out its run time, but the lack of focus on the actual alien and the realisation that the monster hidden away for most of the film is actually not as cool as you thought it would look, cause you to wonder, well this really wasn't about the alien was it? Thats true because the fucking alien is hidden in the shadows for most of the run time, and a sobby-telekintic goodbye to the supposedly misunderstood creature cause the alien to be neither respected or resolved with, you feel sympathy for the big thing, but did it really have to kill so many people? Well yeah, Godzilla and the thing from Cloverfield were misunderstood but like this alien were both bastards. 9/10 4 stars. Good film, reminder of better times,happier times, with surprisingly good acting and this may be one of the best films of the year so far.
And its nice to see that someone is making films about kids, who are as funny as they are human, and its also nice to see that this is a plot and character driven film which will ultimately please fans of this sort of genre. Just awesome, and Super 8 is almost as pretty as Elle Fanning and Charles' sister Amanda Michalka.

Post #: 81
Super 8: Review - 17/8/2011 12:52:34 AM   
Edward9630

Super 8 is a very good film. It has an excellent story, the actors did a great performance for their characters and there are alot of cool scenes. My favourite scene in the film is the train crash because it looked epic. The problems i had with the film is its a tad familiar to E.T and its a bit too loud. Really enjoyable film to see. I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 82
Super - 18/8/2011 8:57:07 AM   
trueborndjross

Film of the summer by far for me so far. There's no doubt it's a bit of a tribute to Spielberg but it stands on it's own as a great film as well. That's helped largely by the excellent leading cast of children with a standout performance from Elle Fanning. The train crash is superb (though perhaps a wee bit OTT) and even the alien looks pretty good when you eventually get to see it. And glad they put in the actual short film that the kids are making at the end.

Post #: 83
Super - 18/8/2011 8:57:09 AM   
trueborndjross

Film of the summer by far for me so far. There's no doubt it's a bit of a tribute to Spielberg but it stands on it's own as a great film as well. That's helped largely by the excellent leading cast of children with a standout performance from Elle Fanning. The train crash is superb (though perhaps a wee bit OTT) and even the alien looks pretty good when you eventually get to see it. And glad they put in the actual short film that the kids are making at the end.

Post #: 84
A SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER....WITH HEART - 19/8/2011 10:58:13 AM   
ROTGUT

Why didn't Mr. Berg direct this thing himself? The kids are all good performers and the plot - while nothing original - is told with style and elan. Can JJ get on with directing Star Trek 2 now please? Pretty please........FOUR STARS

Post #: 85
A SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER....WITH HEART - 19/8/2011 10:58:15 AM   
ROTGUT

Why didn't Mr. Berg direct this thing himself? The kids are all good performers and the plot - while nothing original - is told with style and elan. Can JJ get on with directing Star Trek 2 now please? Pretty please........FOUR STARS

Post #: 86
Brilliant! - 24/8/2011 2:21:01 PM   
Empo

Loved this movie! Great story, great acting, my only criticism it started to drag at the end.

Post #: 87
Super - 31/8/2011 12:12:41 AM   
DiaDhuit29

A film of character and love of the old sci-fi films. A big nod to Spielberg with a fast moving story and good performances from the kids especially. Having an alien which is destructive as well as understanding what it's purpose for being here or how he got here through the kids eyes. Great effects and totally draws you back to the era of Spielberg's early sci-fi classics. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already plus there is bonus super 8 footage of the kid's film in the credits.

Post #: 88
RE: Super - 1/9/2011 11:01:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

This film would have been so much better without the alien nonesense. Just a bunch of kids, influences by Spielberg and co, out making a film to enter into a contest. Character based, with love and loss and everything inbetween. But no, there needs to be a rubbish looking monster thrown in.

Three stars, but that is because I liked the kids and the first third of the film.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DiaDhuit29)
Post #: 89
Cloverfield 2 (for kids) - 1/10/2011 10:50:13 PM   
serious_syd

The monster even looked similar.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Super 8 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI