Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Excellent

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Excellent Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Excellent - 6/8/2011 1:09:22 AM   
st3veebee

WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS

PROS

-Elle Fanning is great

-Train wreckage seen (and most SFX) is/are excellent.

-Setting/decade is well established.

-End Super 8 short film is great fun.

CONS

-Spielberg lite to say the least.

-The kids never seem to really connect with lackluster performances and poor dialogue.

-The monster sounds either like a transformer or a T-Rex. Quite distracting.

Overall its quite hard to really pinpoint what made this film ultimately forgettable. Abrahams clearly loves classic Spielberg and so has chosen to make a film that has parts of all his best films, but with none of the heart, Nothing unique, but nothing shambolic at all. I was never bored but left scratching my head as to what the point of the film was: a love letter to Spielberg...who produced?A throwback to the classic 70s/80s adventure, more analog films...but with tons of cgi? I worry that JJ has no directorial trademarks of his own and simply reproduces homages to previous, and better, directors best work. A shame, I was really looking forward to this film.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to NicCagesEyes)
Post #: 31
Celludroid Review - Super 8 - 6/8/2011 3:50:45 PM   
Celludroid

An Immensely enjoyable and carefully crafted, if slightly unbalanced, sci-fi mystery. Ok so it doesn’t quite rank among the best, but it’s a great reminder of what Hollywood used to prescribe with such unerring accuracy.

Check out the full review here http://bit.ly/pqM19J

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Super 8 - 6/8/2011 6:31:46 PM   
captainrentboy

Imax'd it up last night.
Really reeeally hoped it was going to be an easy 4/5 star experience, I've been hyping it up for months on end now, as it looked like the type of thing I'd love. Sadly I couldn't help but feel a bit let down by the time it finished.
For me it just didn't quite capture that same 70s/80s movie magic I was hoping it would. The type of thing Spielberg would've banged out in his sleep back then, Abrams couldn't seem to pull it off quite as successfully.

Don't get me wrong there were great sequences dotted around throughout. And most of the child actors were impressive, especially for first timers. It was just that a lot of the character driven moments seemed to fall flat for me, sometimes seeming to drag on forever. The last 5 minutes or so were quite emotional, it's just a shame not a lot before that really got to me.

The 'thing' itself and the CGI used to animate it also varied quite a lot in quality. For a film that was paying homage to 80s flicks similar in nature, maybe it would've been more effective to see some quality model/animatronic work now and then, rather than blatant 'standing out like a sore thumb' CGI absolutely everywhere.

I can just about stretch to a 3.5/5.

Post #: 33
RE: Super 8 - 6/8/2011 7:46:33 PM   
thetruth

The word i´d use here is frustrating.
A former poster mentioned blockbusters not having heart,with Inception being an exception.I completely agree,with the catharsis being tangible and emotional,leaving me with more feeling towards the story,despite the brilliant effects.
This is nowhere near that level,and is actually quite a mess.
Are we watching ET/The Monster Squad/The Goonies/50s B Movies etc??
The young cast are decent,though any initial connection gives way to usual stereotyping so that wanes.
The adults in this film are dire.Note to JJ,please see Inception re decent cast requirement,actually throw in a screenwriter too.
The monster is so so.Sympathy for it in the context of a friggin ET lite moment?No,blow the fucker up i say!
Overall,a barely there 3 star effort.Movie of the year?Not even top 10.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 34
Rose tinted review... - 6/8/2011 9:09:16 PM   
olyscott8

This review picks out the best bits of this movie and overblows them with multitude of floweriness that give the impression that this movie is a match for Spielberg's greatest works. Yes the movie starts well and sets a tone that matches Spielberg's earlier alien infested celluloid gems. As soon as the first big OTT, CGI set-piece is unveiled (the train crash) it goes downhill at high speed. A move just full of set-pieces strung together with a Spielbergesqe disfunctional family with one dimensional characters that we are given little time to care about. JJ need to get back to the Telly Box where he his more at home but still can't quite get the endings right either. The finale in this movie left me wondering why all the appliances, why the water tower, and why let go of that locket...give it to the girl you idiot!

Post #: 35
Decent - 6/8/2011 10:52:35 PM   
sephiroth7

Not a patch on the movies it riffs on but still, not bad.

Post #: 36
Excellent film - 6/8/2011 11:24:11 PM   
danielthompson99

The one good thing I can take from this summer of movies is Super 8. The film rewards by being smart, funny, emotional and at times, very tense.
The kids are amazing, and I look forward to seeing them again.
I saw Super 8 this evening with a real mixture of friends, all who emerged with big smiles, satisfied after a good nights entertainment.
Nice one J.J...see you in space!

Post #: 37
ET for 2010 - 7/8/2011 4:18:52 PM   
jeffamania

enough said....fun, romantic and funny!!!

Post #: 38
- 7/8/2011 10:14:41 PM   
TheGodfather

Super 8
That Steven Spielberg is the producer of this project is obvious every where you look. Everything that we saw in the 70s and 80s films that he produced and directed (Close Encounters, E.T., The Goonies) are featured here as well: an adventurous story filled with (young) people, lots of humour (giving it a kind of Goonies 2011 feel) and great action. Especially for that last thing you`re at the right place with JJ Abrams. In that area it is a feast for the eye and (especially) ear. Special notice needs to go out to the young cast who give wonderfull performances all around and really don`t need any help from the adults in the cast to carry the film.

It is a shame that all of this seems to fade away a bit in the second half, because if the the level of the first half was kept up for the etire film you would've gotten without a doubt the summer`s best blockbuster.
As it is, it's an enormously entertaining flick that does would blockbuster should do: give you a fun, unworrying night out at the movies.

8,8/10

Post #: 39
Excellent - 7/8/2011 10:19:16 PM   
tysmuse

I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed it immensely.

Post #: 40
RE: Excellent - 7/8/2011 10:54:48 PM   
JIm R

Beautiful, touching, a sight for a generation born in the 70's.

I laughed, I cried (a lot).

Perfection. Go see it.

5 stars

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 41
RE: Excellent - 7/8/2011 11:31:24 PM   
thetruth

May i ask what people were crying at?

Without love we are dead

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 42
RE: Excellent - 8/8/2011 9:51:34 AM   
Wild about Wilder

By far & away the best summer blockbuster of the year so far just pissed off we had to wait so long after US to get it . I thought considering some of the young Actors had little or no previous Acting expreience they did an outstanding job & the special affects especially the train crash were outstanding considering it cost much less than other so called blockbusters $50 million 1/4 of Green Lantern & 1/3 of the other big releases which I think after Star Trek & M.I.3 puts JJ up there with the best around at the moment shame he isn't doing Superman.
A thrilling 5* film.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 8/8/2011 9:55:57 AM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 43
RE: Excellent - 8/8/2011 9:54:11 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

I can only speak for myself obviously but....

All very personal issues related to the content, parental loss, film making and the burning desire to see your film completed, father-son dynamic of dealing with loss, falling in love, the time period and my childhood, that film making can be this good, feeling of hope and resolution.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 44
Has Speilberg written all over it - 8/8/2011 10:07:46 AM   
sjmlondon

Spoiler alert.

I found myself totaly engrossed for most of the film which is a rare occurance given Hollywood's recent output. The child actors are very good, as are the settings and the many great Spielberg touches throughout. I feel JJ gave us screen glare a la Star Trek, as well as the alien being a mishmass between the one in Cloverfield and the one that attacked Chris Pine in Star Trek as well. The ending is a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps I was hoping for ET or the creature to speak. Well worth seeing though.

Post #: 45
RE: Has Speilberg written all over it - 8/8/2011 11:35:34 AM   
Gazdance

This is a good film but not a great one. Whilst I can appreciate the sentiments of posters like JimR above (it's wonderful when a film connects with you for personal and emotional reasons) the film, for me, was simply good entertainment but a bit forgettable.

It is a little like wacthing the greatest hits of Spielberg; Jaws, Close Encounters, ET and Jurassic Park are all homaged here (intentional or not). That isn't a problem given Abhrams openness about the influences and the Berg's involvement but it did make me think that it's been far too long since I watched those films and pulled me out of the experience somewhat.

The first two-thirds of the film are very good, capturing the essence of the sorts of films anyone of a certain age is bound to call classics and I enjoyed the performances of all of the children.

Sadly, the third act lets things down by decending too far into a lot of noise and action and requiring little more from the actors than to shout above the noise. It's a shame because not only did I find this iritating but I began to stop caring. Things feel a little too rushed as well.

Whilst the ending is emotional for the resolution of the father-son-grief storyline, the resolution of the alien's story didn't resonate at all where I felt it should have done.

However, this is still an original story (although it borrows heavily) in an industry dominated by sequels and reboots. It deserves to do well and I hope that it does. It's a solid three star film.

(in reply to sjmlondon)
Post #: 46
RE: Has Speilberg written all over it - 8/8/2011 1:26:59 PM   
shool

Very good film. Like ET but a scary alien instead of a nice one.
The child actors are excellent and it made me jump several times. Even though it might not be the masterpiece like the films it tries to emulate it is still a great film.

4/5

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 47
- 8/8/2011 2:31:17 PM   
bubbagump9

loved it. the best movie ive seen this year so far

Post #: 48
RE: Excellent - 8/8/2011 4:22:33 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

All very personal issues related to the content, parental loss, film making and the burning desire to see your film completed, father-son dynamic of dealing with loss, falling in love, the time period and my childhood, that film making can be this good, feeling of hope and resolution.

Problem is these emotions weren´t put across on film.
It didnt feel like 1979.
Who did you connect with?The kids?The monster?The tone of the film?
Apart from the young girl(Fanning?),i felt little connection with the characters.
Both male parents were undeserving of sympathy.
The monster was simply that.It deserved to be killed in my opinion.
Hope and resolution?Nope,and i´m quite open to that.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 49
RE: Has Speilberg written all over it - 8/8/2011 4:26:42 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

This is a good film but not a great one. Whilst I can appreciate the sentiments of posters like JimR above (it's wonderful when a film connects with you for personal and emotional reasons) the film, for me, was simply good entertainment but a bit forgettable.

It is a little like wacthing the greatest hits of Spielberg; Jaws, Close Encounters, ET and Jurassic Park are all homaged here (intentional or not). That isn't a problem given Abhrams openness about the influences and the Berg's involvement but it did make me think that it's been far too long since I watched those films and pulled me out of the experience somewhat.

The first two-thirds of the film are very good, capturing the essence of the sorts of films anyone of a certain age is bound to call classics and I enjoyed the performances of all of the children.

Sadly, the third act lets things down by decending too far into a lot of noise and action and requiring little more from the actors than to shout above the noise. It's a shame because not only did I find this iritating but I began to stop caring. Things feel a little too rushed as well.

Whilst the ending is emotional for the resolution of the father-son-grief storyline, the resolution of the alien's story didn't resonate at all where I felt it should have done.

However, this is still an original story (although it borrows heavily) in an industry dominated by sequels and reboots. It deserves to do well and I hope that it does. It's a solid three star film.
Good review.
A definite 3rd act let down.It´s like Bay took over!
The monster had the most confusing role of all.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 50
RE: Excellent - 8/8/2011 4:33:07 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

It didnt feel like 1979.
Apart from the young girl(Fanning?),i felt little connection with the characters.

Sorry, probably didn't make it v clear, all those elements that I listed were transferable to my own life, from the experiences felt by the children and parents in the film.

It felt exactly like 1979 to me, the set design and attention to detail of props and costume was incredilby strong.

Ultimately, above all, it took the Joe's love for his mother and the necklace to be the final piece in order for the monster to make the journey 'home'.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 51
RE: Excellent - 8/8/2011 5:11:27 PM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It didnt feel like 1979.

Sorry, probably didn't make it v clear, all those elements that I listed were transferable to my own life, from the experiences felt by the children and parents in the film.

It felt exactly like 1979 to me, the set design and attention to detail of props and costume was incredilby strong.

Ultimately, above all, it took the Joe's love for his mother and the necklace to be the final piece in order for the monster to make the journey 'home'.
I wouldnt knock your personal feelings.
As for the necklace,the final piece of the jigsaw??
Come on,i get what JJ is trying to say,he just,like Bay,can´t say it.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 52
RE: Super 8: Review - 8/8/2011 6:33:45 PM   
thetruth

The Iron Giant is a much more emotionally engaging film with a child/alien/society theme.

Without love we are dead

Post #: 53
RE: Super 8: Review - 8/8/2011 7:05:11 PM   
thepluginbaby

I liked Super 8 enough, even though it was basically just a massive love letter to Spielberg. I did enjoy the film more during the first half, the second half goes a little too War of the Worlds for my liking. As for the alien's design, there was too much going on with the limbs and everything. It was good to see a decent standalone summer movie though. 

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 54
okay but over-hyped - 9/8/2011 8:04:01 AM   
bretty

It was okay but I was not blown away in the least. Slightly long with engaging leads it just didn't hold together at times. A few 'huh' moments (just why were the soldiers blowing up the town?) that didn't help the flow, but overalll it was okay, but not much more than that.

Post #: 55
RE: Super 8: Review - 9/8/2011 8:04:56 AM   
jonson

quote:

The Iron Giant is a much more emotionally engaging film with a child/alien/society theme.

True, but The Iron Giant is as close to perfect as films go. Very harsh to compare really....

Anyway, I loved it. Having sat in the cinema to watch ET, Stand By Me, The Goonies (all the films this has been vaguelly compared to) and every Spielberg 80's film, I adored it. I'm old, I grew up in those times, it was filmed and scripted absolutely bang on. Not as good as the pre-mentioned films admittedly (what are?) but not a million miles away.
The kids were all note perfect, every one of them, Joe suiting the lead well (he reminded me so much of Mikey in The Goonies - hence the obvious connection) I could have done with more interaction between the hilarious Charles and Cary, Elle Fanning as has been said was wonderful (even her "acted" sequence on the train platform was tear-inducing - a lovely touch I thought)

What let the film down for me was the monster. I was happy with these kids, hearing the interaction, watching them bounce off each other, even the vague love story in the centre between Alice and Joe wasn't too bad. Even the story and final get-together between the Dads was OK (when it seriously shouldn't have been), compared to that stupid fucking monster.
We don't need monsters. We don't need Cloverfield again.
Why ruin a wonderful film (and to be honest after the first hour this was slowly creeping into my Top 20 films) with some ridiculous 6 legged (I think) monster which has absolutely no reason to be in the film other than provide a back story which then threatened (and nearly succeeded) in taking over the film.
Sorry to compare thsi to Stand By Me (it's closest comparison IMO) but that had a back story (the body) which didn't wreck the film. It didn't need to. It wasn't given a chance to.
It was a nice concept, I loved the unusual silver Rubik's cube things, the idea that they had an alien captured - this was all fine, but then it got carried away with itself, the writers and directors painted themsleves into a corner, and then there the most idiotic last 5 minutes to completely ruin an amazing film. Very sad. I nearly took it personally.
It's the difference between an easy 5 stars and a reluctant 4 stars for me.
Thankfully, we're treated during the credits with the Super 8 film the kids were making. This leaves us with a smile on our faces, a happy moment, a delightfully acted amusing sequence with the most innocent and genuinely moving ending we could wish for.
Perhaps the filmmakers could have taken more notice of their film-with-a-film and learnt something from it.

It seems a great shame in hindsight now I have to spend more time moaning about this film than praising it. Don't be put off. It's the best film I've seen yet this year at the cinema. If like me you spent the 80's being a Goonie or Indiana Jones, you'll love this film, seriously, I just wish they had kept the concept that made the first hour so wonderful instead of trying to guess what the audience of today would want. I think they got that bit wrong myself.

< Message edited by jonson -- 9/8/2011 8:08:17 AM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 56
RE: okay but over-hyped - 9/8/2011 8:06:45 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretty

A few 'huh' moments (just why were the soldiers blowing up the town?)

I think the monster was making the "machines" shoot themselves.
I forgot about that bit, a lazy excuse to give the audience some bangs and explosions.
Again, assuming this is what we want all the time......

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 57
RE: okay but over-hyped - 9/8/2011 2:13:29 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretty

A few 'huh' moments (just why were the soldiers blowing up the town?)

I think the monster was making the "machines" shoot themselves.
I forgot about that bit, a lazy excuse to give the audience some bangs and explosions.
Again, assuming this is what we want all the time......

Ah, I must have missed that. It was the only part of the film I could fault actually. I even liked the monster, any scenes where it's attacking reminded me of Jurassic Park which is no bad thing. I also liked the ending, I thought it was nice and touching. Nice review above as well by the way.

I absolutely loved the film, up there with my favourites of the year. As has been said, if you grew up with and loved those films from the 80's, this is a treat.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 58
RE: okay but over-hyped - 9/8/2011 4:29:21 PM   
thetruth

I think they screwed up with the monster angle of the story.
For me it was almost an intrusion to the good story at the start.
It was sloppy looking and aggresive,and we had no opportunity to build any relationship with it.
For me with JJ here,he got the hard bit right,and the easy bit wrong.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 59
RE: okay but over-hyped - 10/8/2011 10:36:36 AM   
simonmckergan1

In a summer full of soulless loud CGI films, Super 8 was a refreshing change of pace.  A great script, well acted, heartfelt performances.  The alien was ok; it certainly had a brutal menace to it.   I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face and rarely for a film this year; I actually want to see this one again.  5 stars.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Excellent Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI