Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Super 8

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Super 8 Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Super 8 - 28/7/2011 12:55:21 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 28/7/2011 12:55:21 PM   
evildave69

What a beautifully written review. Thanks for that. But why isn't it on your website's front page yet?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
That was annoying (and dull) - 28/7/2011 1:00:23 PM   
Davros

Couldn't the reviewer think of any words for a collection of children rather than saying "boys (and girl)" 3 times?

As for the film, nice to see something not a sequel/reboot/plan for Marvel world domination this summer. Hope it's good enough to get a Super 9 next year (kidding).

Post #: 3
RE: That was annoying (and dull) - 28/7/2011 1:07:39 PM   
shool

Cant wait for this. It sounds like everything i love about movies.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Davros)
Post #: 4
RE: Super 8 - 28/7/2011 1:14:21 PM   
captainrentboy

Glad to see that it got 4 stars.
Skimmed through the review but it seemed a tad spoilery, (I'm trying to see this knowing as little as possible, which isn't easy considering how bloody long it's been out in the U.S) so I'll read it after the I've seen it.
Can't wait to Imax it up next Friday.

Post #: 5
RE: Super 8 - 28/7/2011 1:46:21 PM   
szoni

the film is slightly above the average, actually it's recycling of E.T.

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 6
Brilliant Read. - 28/7/2011 11:05:39 PM   
G Sanders

Really classy review, looking forward to this. Summer has been not too shabby. Highlights: X-Men, Bridesmaids, Senna and (in parts) The Tree of Life. Looking forward to the next couple of months.

Post #: 7
RE: Brilliant Read. - 29/7/2011 2:04:08 PM   
vernieboy

Had the pleasure of seeing this last month in the States on an IMAX screen. Probably my favourite film of the summer too far. The interplay between the characters reminded me a bit of the Goonies.
Make sure you stay in the cinema until the end as there is a great bit with the credits

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to G Sanders)
Post #: 8
- 30/7/2011 5:21:01 AM   
tinribs27

In 2010, amidst the flood of adaptations that filled the blockbuster season, Christopher Nolan’s Inception stood out for being not only an effective thriller, but more importantly for being one of the few original concept tent-pole releases of the year. This year you may hear similar things about JJ Abrams’ Super 8, but please do not be fooled. Super 8 is in fact arguably the most derivative film of the year, but for people of a certain generation who grew up on 80s family adventure films, it really is a rare treat. Working from the template perfected by executive producer Steven Spielberg in films such as Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and E.T., Abrams delivers a sweet, nostalgic, and often frightening film unlike anything seen in cinemas for many years.

While there is a lot to enjoy in many contemporary blockbusters, it takes a film like Super 8 to highlight the absence of a crucial ingredient in modern movies: heart. Most summer films released over the past decade have certainly been big on action set-pieces and visual effects, but everything else about them seems distressingly interchangeable. There’s a lone male hero. A love interest. A problem to be solved. And in many cases a kiss at the end. There’s no denying that it’s a successful formula (the box office numbers speak for themselves), but it is somewhat fleeting success. It really is a great shame that what people will remember about the films of the early 21st century is the style rather than the substance. In Jaws, it’s not the shark itself we remember so much as the pursuit of the shark and interactions between Brody, Hooper and Quint. In E.T., it’s the relationship between Elliott and the titular alien. Super 8 is Abrams’ love-letter to that period in cinema, and keen eyed viewers will undoubtedly spot many homages to films such as Stand By Me, The Goonies, and most obviously the early work of his mentor Spielberg. The film is rich with sent

Post #: 9
Flawed Goodness - 1/8/2011 9:46:26 AM   
pete_traynor

Saw it in San Diego last month. It is indeed good but perhaps slightly tempered expectations going in would be a good idea. A lot of nice ideas in here but the sci fi elements, rather oddly, let this down a little. The human drama aspect of it is so well played out and acted (by all, not just the wonderful kids!) that I really found myself caring for these characters and anytime I was away from them with ‘it’ I just wanted to get back to their company. The third act also feels rather rushed and seems to just spring out and kick you in the face a bit.

The whole back story and revelation of the aggressive entity involved is also a little disappointing after that wonderful teaser trailer. But this movie has heart and great intentions to spare and even though all the various elements don’t quite gel at times, I still walked out of the cinema rather misty eyed.

I’m a half star man myself! ***1/2

Post #: 10
Flawed Goodness - 1/8/2011 9:46:29 AM   
pete_traynor

Saw it in San Diego last month. It is indeed good but perhaps slightly tempered expectations going in would be a good idea. A lot of nice ideas in here but the sci fi elements, rather oddly, let this down a little. The human drama aspect of it is so well played out and acted (by all, not just the wonderful kids!) that I really found myself caring for these characters and anytime I was away from them with ‘it’ I just wanted to get back to their company. The third act also feels rather rushed and seems to just spring out and kick you in the face a bit.

The whole back story and revelation of the aggressive entity involved is also a little disappointing after that wonderful teaser trailer. But this movie has heart and great intentions to spare and even though all the various elements don’t quite gel at times, I still walked out of the cinema rather misty eyed.

I’m a half star man myself! ***1/2

Post #: 11
RE: Flawed Goodness - 1/8/2011 10:32:08 AM   
BelfastBoy

Given the vitriol often directed towards Empire's staffers for the quality of their reviews' contents and style (much of it misguided and unnecessary), I'd like to remark on how well crafted and incisive this Super 8 review is. It strikes the right balance between revelation and commentary, although am I alone in thinking that it reads more like 3* rather than 4* opinion? I think that the 4* is more for the kids / coming of age storyline, rather than the alien / military side - fair assumption?

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 12
Wrong reviewer methinks - 1/8/2011 12:56:40 PM   
The Voice of Fate

To sum up the review - it was all pretty good until it became a science fiction movie...

Well, Ian, if you hadn't figured out it was a sci-fi film from the trailer - perhaps you should just go see worthy films about gritty urban problems in future, and leave the inventive and the creative ones to others.

I look forward to the film - but based on the trailer - not on this grudgingly and qualified good review...

Post #: 13
Empire aren't wrong often, but sadly, given the calibre... - 1/8/2011 2:07:34 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

...Super 8 is not great. I found it to be an unengaging story and an unsympathetic creature.

< Message edited by Cameron1975Williams -- 1/8/2011 2:10:48 PM >

Post #: 14
Great review, wrong rating... - 1/8/2011 2:21:13 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

...sadly, this is a three star movie at best.

Post #: 15
RE: Super 8 - 1/8/2011 3:49:14 PM   
spamandham

Like all of his other films, the problem with super 8 is that jj is still stuck in a series of inferior spielberg 'homages' (i.e. rip-offs). Avoid.

Post #: 16
Monster squad- hell yeah! - 1/8/2011 7:11:50 PM   
shazam

Great film, actors are great considering a couple of them haven't been in anything before. Definitely reminiscent of the Monster Squad. One of my fave films.

Post #: 17
RE: Monster squad- hell yeah! - 1/8/2011 9:31:36 PM   
szoni

I don't mind if there is some nostalgia-factor in a film, although this is not the only old-style piece in the last two years. I think in this respect the response is excessive. Also does not bother me a little homage for Spielberg and Super 8 as the popular film format, though it's rather for Spielberg. I must confess for me it felt like rather self-polishing than homage.
Star Trek from JJ much more enjoyable. Kids in The Goonies much more charming.

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to shazam)
Post #: 18
beckettEve - 2/8/2011 2:07:18 PM   
becketteve

Saw this in Montreal 5 weeks ago and it was very good. Very well acted by the young cast.

Post #: 19
RE: Super 8 - 3/8/2011 9:24:47 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: spamandham

Like all of his other films, the problem with super 8 is that jj is still stuck in a series of inferior spielberg 'homages' (i.e. rip-offs). Avoid.

I'm confused, in what way were Mission Impossible 3 and Star Trek Spielberg rip-offs?

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 20
Film! - 5/8/2011 4:54:29 PM   
Bighousewill

Really worth a watch very good indeed very well made. Abrams loves that lens flare. Great acting all round and great characters.

Post #: 21
Excellent - 5/8/2011 6:24:53 PM   
cerebusboy

All the fear and fun and childhood, great leads, and a brilliant alien. JJ Abrams, as well as excelling in his usual twisty-plot beats manages to pull off some Spielbergien wonder too. Not five stars because a superb pastiche is, still, a pastiche.

After people, madly, called Ian Nathan's excellent Tree of Life review "pretentious" five stars for the piece of writing above, too. "Gummy with youth" is a great line.

< Message edited by cerebusboy -- 5/8/2011 8:02:31 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Super 8 - 5/8/2011 6:26:55 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: spamandham

I'm confused, in what way were Mission Impossible 3 and Star Trek Spielberg rip-offs?

Duh, Spielberg is famous for aliens, and Star Trek is full of 'em! And Tom Cruise was in Spielberg's Minority Report before JJ's MI:III too!

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 23
RE: That was annoying (and dull) - 5/8/2011 6:29:16 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davros

Couldn't the reviewer think of any words for a collection of children rather than saying "boys (and girl)" 3 times?

Is not obvious that he did so because the gender dynamics of the group (with the fat kid fancying Alice too) is an important dynamic, aptly reflected in his review? I disagree with lots of Ian Nathan's opinions, but he's easily one of the best writers Empire's ever had.

(in reply to Davros)
Post #: 24
RE: Excellent - 5/8/2011 7:57:01 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

All the fear and fun and childhood, great leads, and a brilliant alien. JJ Abrams, as well as excelling in his usual twisty-plot beats ( like the white rubiks cubes being a space ship, or the backstory of the teacher) manages to pull off some Spielbergien wonder too. Not five stars because a superb pastiche is, still, a pastiche.

After people, madly, called Ian Nathan's excellent Tree of Life review "pretentious" five stars for the piece of writing above, too. "Gummy with youth" is a great line.

Come on dude, I know jack about this film and wanted some peoples reactions as I'm off to see it tonight, spoiler alert would be nice !

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 5/8/2011 7:58:15 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Excellent - 5/8/2011 7:59:15 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

All the fear and fun and childhood, great leads, and a brilliant alien. JJ Abrams, as well as excelling in his usual twisty-plot beats ( like the white rubiks cubes being a space ship, or the backstory of the teacher) manages to pull off some Spielbergien wonder too. Not five stars because a superb pastiche is, still, a pastiche.

Come on dude, I know jack about this film and wanted some reaction as I'm off to see it tonight, spoiler alert would be nice !

My apologies!! Assumed that thread was by/for people who'd seen film but I apologise unreservedly - will use spoilers in future!

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 26
RE: Excellent - 5/8/2011 8:03:28 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Come on dude, I know jack about this film and wanted some peoples reactions as I'm off to see it tonight, spoiler alert would be nice !

Just edited and removed the offending lines - again, sorry.

Post #: 27
RE: Excellent - 5/8/2011 8:06:43 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

Come on dude, I know jack about this film and wanted some reaction as I'm off to see it tonight, spoiler alert would be nice !

My apologies!! Assumed that thread was by/for people who'd seen film but I apologise unreservedly - will use spoilers in future!

No probs, I prob should've stayed out of the thread TBH. Definately liking the general positive vibes regarding the film though. I've been excited for this one !

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Excellent - 5/8/2011 8:28:16 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No probs, I prob should've stayed out of the thread TBH. Definately liking the general positive vibes regarding the film though. I've been excited for this one !

Yeah, it's really great, and Cloverfield is the only JJ thing that I really liked previously.

Although one of the boys impresses the girl despite being into painting models, which doesn't accord with my misspent Games Workshop laden youth

Post #: 29
RE: Excellent - 5/8/2011 11:45:29 PM   
NicCagesEyes

It's really good, the train wreckage is a sight to behold, but the ending is far too saccharine from when they descend into that crater onwards. And there is no way this is a 12A, if I was a child, I would be terrified

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Super 8 Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI