Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hilarious From Start To Finish...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Hilarious From Start To Finish... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hilarious From Start To Finish... - 29/1/2012 9:43:35 AM   
film man aidy

This didn't do a lot for me. Aside for Empire's glowing review, I had it recommended to me by several people, so watched it expecting  a**** rating at least. I just found it all a bit tepid. Blendon Gleeson was ok, but Don Cheadle pretty much sleptwalked through it, and don't get me started on Mark Strong. His worst 'rentabaddie' part by far. Liked him in Sherlock Holmes and Robin Hood, but this was like something out of drama school. Total waste of his talent. Rent Drive instead people. You WON'T be diasappointed!
**1/2  

(in reply to wgfuzzydunlop1)
Post #: 31
Curiously Unconventional, Brilliantly Memorable - 15/2/2012 9:14:04 PM   
blaud

The Guard is a strange film. I think it's fair to say that. Mashing up all the melancholy elements from a thousand drama films and cramming them into a chalk-and-cheese pseudo-buddy cop film was never going to be an easy task, but it's been done. Admirably so, in fact. Gleeson's character is among the most memorable characters to grace the screen in my lifetime, and while it would've been nice to see a few more scenes featuring him and Cheadle, the film moves along at a comfortable speed, introducing characters, some dry, some hilariously misguided. The script is excellent, and is definitely one of the standout elements (that and Gleeson's character). Treading water between intelligent ribaldry and taboo-busting smut, it's interesting to see what, yes,extremely quotable, line a character will come up with next. The ending is also excellent and bittersweet as the rest of the film would have you believe. I'm not sure I agree with Empire's rating, but it certainly is close. See it, savour it, quote it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
Brilliant Guard - 23/2/2012 10:38:49 PM   
lynnshep

Outstanding. Funny. Warm. Touching.. Best Dialogue of the Year. Why wasn't Gleeson Oscar nominated for this or In Bruges? Top Ten of the Year

Post #: 33
Kim Newman is clueless - 1/5/2012 5:12:09 PM   
david hayes

Between this and the 5 stars for "Melancholia" caN someone at Empire please relieve Kim Newman of her duties?

Post #: 34
Brilliant - 27/5/2012 10:25:40 PM   
garysimpson

This is no blockbuster. If you're looking for an action movie, or a laugh-out comedy, go elsewhere. Similarly if you're offended by bad language... but oh, I enjoyed this film for so many reasons. As mentioned elsewhere, Brendan Gleeson is superb. But so are the rest of the cast - there really isn't a weak link in the chain, and they are provided with a clever, witty script cracking with good dialogue. This is a black comedy which could only have been made on this side of the pond: make your way through the gratuitous profanities at the beginning which characterise our initially unlikeable hero and you'll be rewarded with a genuinely heart-warming, funny, exciting finale and an ending which is simply perfect.

Post #: 35
Very funny, very cool - 5/6/2012 8:24:40 PM   
danielthompson99

What a nice change of pace this movie delivers.
Wonderfully written, and totally owned by all the characters, it's a funny and surprising film.
I will be recommending this to all my friends, and then quoting the hell out of it too. "You went to Disneyland....by yourself ?!?"

Post #: 36
- 17/3/2013 11:05:27 PM   
danfacey711

Recycled storyline of the classic binary opposition - maverick cop vs. professional who become friends, redeemed with great performances, quotable lines and beautiful simplicity.

Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Hilarious From Start To Finish... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI