Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The First Avenger: Captain America

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The First Avenger: Captain America Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 5/8/2011 9:47:56 PM   
hampstead bandit

quote:

ORIGINAL: pabloturner

Nope if you'd have seen it in 3d like I did you'd have given it 0 stars! So lacking in any light/colour whatsoever!

this is why I refuse to see any films in 3D anymore - after the huge disappointment of seeing the final Harry Potter in 3D and finding the film RUINED by the murky / low contrast "3D"

seems I am not alone, I've read many blogs and reviews, and overheard firsthand conversations in the cinema whilst queuing or exiting 3D films where other patrons have expressed their disappointment for the 3D format

thankfully we found a cinema in London showing "Captain America" in 2D

I quite enjoyed this film, especially the first half setting up the character

when I say I "quite enjoyed" the film, it was not an 'excellent' film...seemed to be lacking a little something, and I did not like all the "laser" style weaponary and fantasical weaponary in the WW2 era

film itself was a solid 3/5, great acting all round, action scenes seemed reasonable although often way too easy for the good guys

(in reply to pabloturner)
Post #: 91
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 6/8/2011 9:45:51 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I think within the next few years 3D in films will become an event thing maybe 10 films a year at most as it's been shown by retailers already slashing 3D TV sets down from over a Grand down to under 500 including I SHIT YOU NOT 4 PAIRS OF 3D GLASSES INCLUDED! & THEY COST NEARLY 100 EACH.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 92
RE: AWESOME SUPERHERO FILM - 7/8/2011 3:14:22 PM   
Marwood

Solid if unremarkable.

Like the previous in-house produced Marvel Studios films (Iron Man 1 & 2, Thor and The Incredible Hulk) the first hour or so is the strongest with great character work and scene setting but the film is let down a bit by a slightly weaker second half. The trend with these films seems to be taking care with the origin stories but being in too much of a rush to get to the end and while the action is largely good it also feels a bit inconsequential to those who know about the team mashup "The Avengers" coming in 2012.

However for the most part Cap is an enjoyable film with good if not great sequences and story, a little bit more corny than its contemporaries but considering the period setting and old school feel (Indy Jones is definitely an influence) it doesn't seem out of place. Evans is terrific while the supporting cast all do well enough with thin roles, Hayley Atwell in particular does a good job with what she has although her relationship with Cap is a bit underdeveloped. Then again during wartime there's hardly a lot of room for them to build the sort of relationship the rest of us have years to develop. The only let down really is Red Skull - Hugo Weaving is on good form but the character is straight from a cartoon and beyond the impressive makeup effects and ties to the super soldier serum there's not much to him. He wants power, he gets power and misuses it, has a big "take over the world scheme" that needs to be stopped. However that's very much in keeping with the Skull I remember from the comics so it's actually a pretty faithful translation.

The nods and winks to the other Marvel characters in this shared universe are better handled here than the other films although the end coda is a bit forced and would maybe have been better used in The Avengers or a sequel. Still, it does the job to explain his appearance alongside Iron Man etc. so that's all that really was needed.

As the last solo film pre-Avengers, Cap is a fun ride and efficient enough but hopefully the inevitable sequel will feel more like a complete film rather than (as with the other solo films) a stepping stone to the big event. Certainly the man out of time aspect is interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how it's played out.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!
Post #: 93
RE: Captain America: The First Avenger: Review - 9/8/2011 4:54:49 PM   
musht

This is a decent film, clearly the most kid friendly of all the 'Avengers' so far but it was enjoyable. I don't know why people are giving out about the spoiler, Captain America is in the Avengers which is set in modern times he had to get there without aging somehow.

Was glad I stayed for the post credits tease

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"
Post #: 94
RE: - 9/8/2011 5:16:25 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Captain America: The First Avenger
I can be quite short about this one: this is without a doubt the "worst" of all Avenger films that I`ve seen so far (haven`t seen Thor yet). The basic story line, the origin story is a great opportunity to make it (more or less) grimmy film. But director Johnston doesn`t doesn`t do that, leading to a so-so action flick, a bit of romance but noway near grimmy. In the hands of a more gifted director there could`ve be gotten more out of this.
The action is more than ok for the most part, making it not fall completely.
The fact that the ending is by far the best thing of the film says everything.
Let`s all hope that next year's The Avengers film is better than this.

6,5/10

What's "grimmy"?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
Post #: 95
RE: Better than Green Lantern but not as much fun as Thor. - 10/8/2011 1:02:08 AM   
thetruth

Tell Greg ill organise his next cinematic experience.
Hes due it after this.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos
Post #: 96
RE: RETRO FUN..... - 11/8/2011 12:16:09 PM   
Titanm21

Best Marvel Studios film to date...

Also class to see Spider-Man appear on the TV screens in Times Square

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]
Post #: 97
RE: Captain America - 11/8/2011 1:54:49 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

The Captain America cartoon was always a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine when I was younger, so it was with some trepidation I eventually saw the movie and... I'm still somewhat baffled as to how Chris Evans was so tiny! The things that can do with special effects these days, blimey. The movie was somewhat short - couldn't have been longer than an hour 15 mins tops, yet I think it was a good idea to keep it short and sweet.

Much more humorous than I thought it would be - Stanley Tucci was perfectly cast, as was Dominic Cooper as Stark Snr. As for Chris Evans, he should be pretty proud of his quiet strength in his beginnings of being Captain America. Looking forward to seeing him spread his wings with the other 'Avengers' next May.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 98
RE: Captain America - 11/8/2011 7:03:24 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

The Captain America cartoon was always a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine when I was younger, so it was with some trepidation I eventually saw the movie and... I'm still somewhat baffled as to how Chris Evans was so tiny! The things that can do with special effects these days, blimey. The movie was somewhat short - couldn't have been longer than an hour 15 mins tops, yet I think it was a good idea to keep it short and sweet.

Much more humorous than I thought it would be - Stanley Tucci was perfectly cast, as was Dominic Cooper as Stark Snr. As for Chris Evans, he should be pretty proud of his quiet strength in his beginnings of being Captain America. Looking forward to seeing him spread his wings with the other 'Avengers' next May.

It's actually 124 minutes. Guess time flies when you're having fun.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 99
Captain America: The First Avenger - 17/8/2011 12:50:43 AM   
Edward9630

Captain America: The First Avenger is a very good film. The story is very well told, the action scenes and the visuals are excellent. The actors did a very good performance for their characters especially Chris Evans, for me he was the right choice to be the role for captain america. Red Skull looked awesome in the film. The problems with the film is a bit earnest and cheesy. I enjoyed watching this film and is very exited to see The Avengers next year. I would recommend to go see this film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 100
RE: Captain America: The First Avenger - 24/8/2011 11:52:02 PM   
fuzzy

Just got around to seeing this. Enjoyed it, entertained me for 2hrs but wasn't quite up to the standard of Thor or Iron Man IMO. You wanted more from the ending(s) which definitely lacked emotional payoff. Even the final punch-up was a bit Iron Man 2, flashy but over very quickly. Performances were very good on the whole with Jones and Tucci stealing every scene they were in. And was that Dempsey from Dempsey and Makepeace as the Senator? . The links to the wider Avengers stories were nicely done though and better handled than Iron Man 2. A 3 stars I think overall. Maybe more if it had put more effort into the climax of the film.

Did anyone spot the nods to other unrelated films? Red Skulls mentioning of Hitler being preoccupied with 'digging in the desert' to find relics (Raiders). The forest bike chase was very Speeder Bike chase from Jedi - even including the Stormtrooper wilhelm scream when one of the Hydra soldiers cops it. And the blood spatter from plane propellers (Raiders again).

(in reply to Edward9630)
Post #: 101
- 16/10/2011 11:14:22 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

Good Enough Film. Great performances from Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving. Chris Evans was quite good to play the first avenger.

Post #: 102
Brilliant - 15/12/2011 1:10:51 PM   
AntGC

Alot of people have downed this film as boring but personally i think its one of the best actionhero films from the avengers characters (just below iron man) in my view. As usual Hugo Weaving acts brilliantly as the villain, Tommy Lee Jones Is fantastic in every role he plays and Chris Evans was surprisingly good. Watched it twice in 2weeks!

Post #: 103
Captain America: The First Avenger Review - 19/12/2011 2:11:48 PM   
the film man

With plenty of pulpy action, a pleasantly retro vibe, and a handful of fine performances, Captain America is solidly old-fashioned blockbuster entertainment.

Post #: 104
- 23/12/2011 2:06:35 PM   
Sutty

Watched this the other night. I liked it. Was very much an old fashioned serial actioner in the vein of say Indiana Jones or Flash Gordon. Loved the lack of cynicism and it's "pure" heart. Though it did feel about 20 minutes too long.

3 out of 5

Post #: 105
- 29/12/2011 1:18:46 PM   
UTB

Watched this on Blu Ray over Christmas, really enjoyed it. A good old-fashioned romp, and I think easily the best of this years superhero movies.

Post #: 106
Empire Review Spot On, but... - 30/12/2011 10:26:13 AM   
Ryan_D_Bell

the review is technically correct; an excellent hero genesis story followed by a less impressive montage of clumsily linked, average action sequences. Don't let these negatives put you off because the first third gets you to fall in love with Cap so you forgive his film the whole way. I would have said 4 stars, but cheesy lasers replacing gritty bullets, the cringeworth 'Hail Hydra' salute and not enough Cap super power on show - it has to drop to Three - but still "a good man".

Post #: 107
- 4/1/2012 8:09:31 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Very enjoyable adaptation. For my money Thor probably was the better of the two, but this one is not far behind. Chris Evans is perfect for this role. Tommie Lee Jones is his typical reliable self (Blown Away notwithstanding). Hayley Atwell was solid and gorgeous, which didn't hurt matters.

Post #: 108
The Cap Fits! - 12/1/2012 10:26:30 PM   
dannyfletch

After the very bad 90's version, Captain America was in dire need of a complete reboot and surely anything would be better? Well I was relieved to find that this turned out to be one of the most enjoyable superhero flicks of recent times. Chris Evans was well cast in the lead as he looked and acted the part perfectly. Hugo Weaving was as good as ever as the Red Skull too and it's always nice to see the ever reliable Tommy Lee Jones pop up. The action scenes were very well done and it was a pretty good origins story ( much better than Wolverine ). A good, solid addition to the francise that I will definately watch again.

Post #: 109
- 22/2/2012 8:31:36 PM   
coljohnmatrix

Pretty decent - entertaining enough, though not particularly memorable. It's a pretty spot-on review. The period setting helps it stand out from the raft of other comic book films.

Cap himself was a bit bland as a character though, I hope the review is right and they can get more out of him by setting him up as the "man out of time" in the Avengers.

Post #: 110
Captain America Rises Again - 23/2/2012 10:56:24 PM   
lynnshep

Brilliant film. Great action, acting, CGI. Evans is fabulous. Weaving is a great villain. Songs are great. Can't wait for the Avengers.

Post #: 111
Captain America - 23/4/2012 6:43:50 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I also really liked the retro futuristic vibe as the review states - it kinda reminded me of Sky Captain a bit with some of the design. I especially liked the flying bombs - a very cool idea and the massive bomber was also great. It was amazing how they turned Chris Evans into a puny weakling though and that's what you call a fantastic use of CGI. Generally the film looked pretty stylish and WW2 setting also set it apart from your average superhero movie.

I'd give it 7/10 I actually enjoyed it more than Thor which I feel is a bit overrated. The fact Captain America is coming from a real position of weakness adds to his character quite a bit and it's a step away from these normally over confident superpowered good guys. I have to agree the Heil Hydra chants were cringeworthy but the Red Skull looked great - I dunno why he decided to pick up the power-cube thing and stand there staring at it at the end though - it's like he'd never seen it before, a bit of a lame way to rid yourself of the bad guy. I also didn't feel there were any real killer set pieces in this film which is a bit odd but it still managed to entertain.

Captain America's final moments were probably as moving as I've seen for these comic book adaptations with him and Peggy rather touchingly arranging a date they both knew would never take place.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 112
RE: Captain America - 23/4/2012 10:54:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Overall I found Captain America to be a film I was rather unsure about.
I didn't dislike it nor did I overly like it. It was just a "meh"/indifferent film.

It had its stronger moments/parts, that being the performance of Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones and the good CGI effects, especially with regards to Evans slight-framed Steve Rogers.

The script was rather solid but simple, though I never got the impression that it was solely based in the World War 2,there were certain elements that took me out of that context while not combining it well with its comic/creative plot.

I found Hayley Atwells English accent extremely broad and somewhat irrataiting.Hugo Weaving was good but his Red Skull was severely missing his menace, edge and overall darkness and strangely in the process of this he was almost becoming the films comic relief alongside Tommy Lee Jones and Toby Jones. For a bad guy you dont want him to look like a joke, especially not Red Skull.

Overall I think this is a good, simple family film but it hasn't got that much edge of interest to keep the more older audience coming back for more.

3/5

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 23/4/2012 11:01:52 PM >

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 113
RE: Captain America - 24/4/2012 12:59:04 AM   
jobloffski

Of all the Pre-Avengers films found this the weakest by a very very long way, and any sense of drama at the end was totally spiked by the modern day framing device.

A longer time in the modern day over the course of the film with 'man out of his time' as the driving force would have made a far stronger film given the utterly perfunctory nature of the plot and uselessness of the threat provided by the red skull.

IM2, Thor and TFA, all left me thinking 'thanks Marvel, I just love films that are setting up another one and assume I cant fricking wait for the payoff and don;t need any real sense of the build up films being their own standalone tales' Even the rather flawed incredible hulk has more essential reason to exist in its own right than the aforementioned taster flicks.

Will never ever watch this film again. Even the first, stronger hour of it left a bad taste in the mouth, with the freaky effect for the weak Rogers and incredibly questionable, message (he was nothing before the procedure) and the LUDICROUS stupidity of someone with so many health conditions trying repeatedly to join the army. And the idealisation of the 'superior' athletic and tall Rogers is curiously 'nazi' in it's conception.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 114
RE: Captain America - 25/4/2012 5:19:02 PM   
Emyr Thy King

When I first saw the film in the cinema, I really quite liked it. I thought the film had plenty of "heart", it was at least sincere. Even when we have the tongue-in-cheek 'war bonds' scenes, they never devolved into parody nor treated the character with contempt. However, on repeated viewings I think the film doesn't hold up as well as the others in the Avengers series. Out of all the individual offerings, I certainly think Iron Man and Thor are easily the best so far (with hopefully the Avengers being the best). I think Chris Evans does a great job as Steve Rogers/Captain America and I never thought he'd be able to play such a straight-laced guy but he does. Tommy Lee Jones offers what he usually offers, grumpyness, sarcastic quips and a curmudgeonly presence. Hayley Atwill looks very lovely and she certainly plays a strong female character quite convincingly. Particularly amongst a heavily male cast. Toby Jones and Hugo Weaving ham it up and they are like cardboard cut-out caricatures but then it's hard to avoid such a thing given the source material. Whilst I liked the Red Skull's appearance despite the visibility of prosthetics, I didn't think he was menacing. He played it more like an eccentric than a guy who was cruel and evil.

I do think they skipped over a few things, such as the action sequences where Captain America & co attack the Hydra bases. Almost as if they wanted to tease the audience: "here's what he got up to but because of our schedule, we have to get to the Avengers!". In addition, I wasn't sure about the guy who played Bucky nor of the relationship between Rogers and Bucky. I think they should've cast Bucky with someone who had a better on-screen rapport with Evans. I also didn't feel much about Bucky's death. It felt more like a lesser supporting character had been killed rather than a major character. Stanley Tucci did a great job as Dr. Erskine and I quite liked the 'tender' moments he shared with Rogers. Quite touching. I agree about the stylisation of the film. I realise that this is a comic book universe but I do think the WW2 setting with directed energy weapons and two storey tanks was a bit much. Not to mention the presence of Hydra which should've been scaled back in favour of heavier Nazi presence. I would have much preferred it if they had actually used Tiger tanks and modified German kit (seeing as they were the most advanced of the war) just to give it a more grounded feel.

Jobloffski, to be fair I didn't see anything the matter with Rogers's repeated attempts at joining the armed forces. Those scenes were there to highlight his sense of duty, honour and his determination. Although I have to say you've got a good point about how the super soldier is pretty much a covert aryan ideal. What did you make of the performances and relationships established in the film? I think the only annoying bits of dialogue were the "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" moments.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 115
RE: Captain America - 25/4/2012 11:34:23 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

When I first saw the film in the cinema, I really quite liked it. I thought the film had plenty of "heart", it was at least sincere.

I agree - it really did feel like it had heart

Whilst I liked the Red Skull's appearance despite the visibility of prosthetics, I didn't think he was menacing. He played it more like an eccentric than a guy who was cruel and evil.

Actually that's probably a fair point - but as I've never really read that many comics with the Red Skull in it I probably wasn't a very good judge of the character.

I do think they skipped over a few things, such as the action sequences where Captain America & co attack the Hydra bases.

Some of the action scenes with Captain America seemed a bit rushed and speeded up and no doubt parts of those must have ended up on the cutting room floor.

I would have much preferred it if they had actually used Tiger tanks and modified German kit (seeing as they were the most advanced of the war) just to give it a more grounded feel.

That would have been pretty cool actually, I found the whole notion of Stark being inferior technologically speaking a bit crap as well although that is no doubt down to the energy source itself.

Jobloffski, to be fair I didn't see anything the matter with Rogers's repeated attempts at joining the armed forces. Those scenes were there to highlight his sense of duty, honour and his determination. Although I have to say you've got a good point about how the super soldier is pretty much a covert aryan ideal. What did you make of the performances and relationships established in the film? I think the only annoying bits of dialogue were the "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" moments.

Yeah it was rather ironic that Cap America was a blonde physical specimen . I also had no probs with his character repeatedly attempting to join up, I bet there were people just like that in WW2 and probably WW1 as well.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 116
RE: Captain America - 26/4/2012 9:38:05 AM   
jobloffski

Didn't mind the repeated attempts to join up, it was just the list of medical conditions as long as your arm that made the characterisation of the guy feel to me like 'he's a total idiot, of course he couldn't get into the army with all that wrong with him'. It's even said in the film that the asthma would have been enough to make him unfit for duty, so why not just have him with asthma? Pretty minor point, compared to the questionable 'he's a total nobody before the procedure and afterwards, though the girl liked him before, now she's totally wet for him' bit.

There was a better film possible, but I felt a little bit of the 'marking time until the Avengers arrives' on the part of Marvel, as with IM2 and Thor.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 117
RE: Captain America - 26/4/2012 1:37:15 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Actually that's probably a fair point - but as I've never really read that many comics with the Red Skull in it I probably wasn't a very good judge of the character.

Still, you can judge the character as portrayed on-screen without the need for an in-depth understanding of the character's history in comic lore. I just thought he came off more camp and eccentric than threatening or pernicious. I swear the scene where Toby Jones's Zola says "this will end the war!..." (before looking distantly off-camera) and the way the Red Skull stood beside him came off more like a scene off 'Allo 'Allo! than anything else.

quote:

That would have been pretty cool actually, I found the whole notion of Stark being inferior technologically speaking a bit crap as well although that is no doubt down to the energy source itself.

I had no problem with Stark's so called 'technological inferiority'. In the actual war, the Nazis were way ahead of the allies. They had jet and rocket powered aircraft. Radio guided anti-ship bombs and even radio guided anti-aircraft aircaft rockets among other things. I think even wire guided anti-tank and air launched air-to-air rockets were on the cards. So I think blending in the power of the cube with the Nazi's cutting edge technology would've worked. For instance they used what was ostensibly the Amerika bomber for that flying wing, a sort of proto-developed Ho 229 flying wing design. But using modified Me-163 Komets as piloted bombs would've been interesting (much like the Americans's XF-85 Goblin fighter) and again, adds to the retro-historical feel rather than have completely ficticious designs. Imagine a nazi firing a cube powered StG44/MP44 or Panzerschrek!

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Didn't mind the repeated attempts to join up, it was just the list of medical conditions as long as your arm that made the characterisation of the guy feel to me like 'he's a total idiot, of course he couldn't get into the army with all that wrong with him'. It's even said in the film that the asthma would have been enough to make him unfit for duty, so why not just have him with asthma? Pretty minor point, compared to the questionable 'he's a total nobody before the procedure and afterwards, though the girl liked him before, now she's totally wet for him' bit.

There was a better film possible, but I felt a little bit of the 'marking time until the Avengers arrives' on the part of Marvel, as with IM2 and Thor.

I see what you mean. It probably was a little overkill and I imagine it was just the writers's way of emphasising or perhaps over-emphasising Rogers's physical unsuitabilty pre-serum. I don't think it paints Rogers as an idiot. He knew that he wouldn't be accepted, but to him it's more about answering a calling, a call to arms that he feels utterly compelled to answer and one in which he feels enitrely obligated to follow. I do agree, not being the biggest I definitely get the comparison they were making and the inference that he's somehow not worth any value seeing as he's not initially a hulking 6'2" specimen. But again, this is true to the comics and you can't escape it. Maybe ironically there is a post-eugenics undercurrent here that would make Gene Roddenberry frantically press the airlock button. But to be fair, whilst the physical change is hugely important to Cap's physical prowess and his ability to execute the mission at hand. There's a lot greater emphasis on his emotional and psychological underpinning. He may physically be weak, but mentally he's a lion and this is where his true power comes from ultimately. If anything, there's a bit of a reversal in thinking within the film too. When Colonel Chester Phillips points out a fellow recruit is the clear choice seeing as he's "big, strong, mean and does what he's told". Dr. Erskine points out he's unsuitable because of his size and what that all endows having always been big. As he later confides to Rogers, the serum would most likely bring out the worst in a 'strong man' if they've always had that power and lost respect for it. So to be fair, there's a bit of both here so to speak.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 27/4/2012 1:59:10 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 118
RE: Captain America - 26/4/2012 8:35:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

Still, you can judge the character as portrayed on-screen without the need for an in-depth understanding of the character's history in comic lore. I just thought he came off more camp and eccentric than threatening or pernicious. I swear the scene where Toby Jones's Zola says "this will end the war!..." (before looking distantly off-camera) and the way the Red Skull stood beside him came off more like a sketch off 'Allo 'Allo! than anything else.

quote:

I had no problem with Stark's so called 'technological inferiority'. In the actual war, the Nazis were way ahead of the allies.

Yeah but we're talking about Howard Stark a fictional super-genius, not your average allied scientist there.

For instance they used what was ostensibly the Amerika bomber for that flying wing, a sort of proto-developed Ho 229 flying wing design. But using modified Me-163 Komets as piloted bombs would've been interesting (much like the Americans's XF-85 Goblin fighter) and again, adds to the retro-historical feel rather than have completely ficticious designs. Imagine a nazi firing a cube powered StG44/MP44 or Panzerschrek!

You shoulda worked on the film! I totally agree modified Panzers or Komets would have been fantastic - probably not appreciated by the masses though

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

I see what you mean. It probably was a little overkill and I imagine it was just the writers's way of emphasising or perhaps over-emphasising Rogers's physical unsuitabilty pre-serum. I don't think it paints Rogers as an idiot. He knew that he wouldn't be accepted, but to him it's more about answering a calling, a call to arms that he feels utterly compelled to answer and one in which he feels enitrely obligated to follow. I do agree, not being the biggest I definitely get the comparison they were making and the inference that he's somehow not worth any value seeing as he's not initially a hulking 6'2" specimen. But again, this is true to the comics and you can't escape it. Maybe ironically there is a post-eugenics undercurrent here that would make Gene Roddenberry frantically press the airlock button. But to be fair, whilst the physical change is hugely important to Cap's physical prowess and his ability to execute the mission at hand. There's a lot greater emphasis on his emotional and psychological underpinning. He may physically be weak, but mentally he's a lion and this is where his true power comes from ultimately. If anything, there's a bit of a reversal in thinking within the film too. When Colonel Chester Phillips points out a fellow recruit is the clear choice seeing as he's "big, strong, mean and does what he's told". Dr. Erskine points out he's unsuitable because of his size and what that all endows having always been big. As he later confides to Rogers, the serum would most likely bring out the worst in a 'strong man' if they've always had that power and lost respect for it. So to be fair, there's a bit of both here so to speak.

Essentially he was picked because he had massive bollocks, the repeated attempts to sign up, throwing himself on the dummy grenade. I was suprised how good Chris Evans was as well he brought warmth to the character. The one thing that was slightly out of place was his voice, it didn't quite sit right with the weakling body and I reckon they should have done something there.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 119
RE: Captain America - 27/4/2012 4:31:47 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Yeah but we're talking about Howard Stark a fictional super-genius, not your average allied scientist there.

Sure, but as he said to Tony in Iron Man 2: "I'm limited by the technology of my time". In addition, we can see Howard Stark here as still developing his designs and maturing as a designer. I mean he was pretty young. I just think the Nazis still being ahead of the allies despite Howard Stark's technical wizadry to be true to the 'reality' of WW2.

quote:

You shoulda worked on the film! I totally agree modified Panzers or Komets would have been fantastic - probably not appreciated by the masses though

Thanks! I just think it would've been the perfect blend of fantasy and reality. You're using potent imagery of the nazis clear technological superiority with an added fantastical twist that still fits the reality in which Captain America lives.

quote:

Essentially he was picked because he had massive bollocks, the repeated attempts to sign up, throwing himself on the dummy grenade. I was suprised how good Chris Evans was as well he brought warmth to the character. The one thing that was slightly out of place was his voice, it didn't quite sit right with the weakling body and I reckon they should have done something there

Good points. I think his voice was fine and they kept it to reinforce the idea that whilst his body was frail, his mind and spirit wasn't. And remember they were the things that made Rogers's "good man great".

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 27/4/2012 4:32:32 AM >

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The First Avenger: Captain America Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI