Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I love Colin Kennedy!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I love Colin Kennedy! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I love Colin Kennedy! - 29/7/2011 10:04:10 PM   
durelius

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

As an aside... I didn't get chance to see Thor, did the cube that the Red Skull possessed have anything to do with it? Odin's treasure was mentioned and ***SPOILER*** there was no explanation for how the Red Skull died or what happened to him... but I got the impression it was again related to Thor, or Asgard. If so, I'm a little miffed that Captain America doesn't make sense if you haven't see Thor (or maybe it just didn't make sense period).

Yes the cube does feature in Thor but it wasn't given any explanation really, so seeing it in Cap'n A is really the first info you get but it does show it's been around for a long time, and giving who has it near end of film and the fact it was featured in Thor in some aspect leads me to believe it'll be making a appearance in Avengers.

I'm not going to nuke the dog!

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 31
RE: Cap'n A - 29/7/2011 11:31:47 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: durelius

Having now seen the film the reviewers comments really don't give that much away to be honest, if you know the basic outline of the Captain America story then you already knew this it's not a surprise and how it's done in the film well you kind of know straight away what's going to happen.

As you say, unless you have no knowledge of the character at all then it is hardly surprising what happens and is a negligable spoiler.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 32
RE: Cap'n A - 30/7/2011 12:06:35 AM   
juanvasquez

Brilliant stuff. A really enjoyable superhero film, probably one of my all time favourites I reckon. Fun from start to finish. Though the big spoiler people are complaining about is revealed in the first scene in the film.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 33
RE: Until The End - 30/7/2011 5:34:28 PM   
st3veebee

PROS:

-Chris Evans does a good job in the lead role: handling the comic, action and slightly dramatic elements with aplomb.

-Atwell, Jones, Lee-Jones, Tucci and Cooper all make their mark on the film; sometimes with very little screen time.

-Never a dull moment in the film which flies along all the way to its conclusion.

-Nice nods to other marvel characters and storylines (Stark, Thor's background etc.)

CONS:

-Iffy special effects on several occasions (Evans suffering from "floaty-head" syndrome in several instances as well as odd cgi jumping and fire FX)

-Music/Score is forgettable at best.

-Action sequeneces were not engaging or original and ultimately forgettable.

-Suspect accents from several actors (this is also very amusing in several situations)

-Hugo Weaving is a little disappointing as Werner Herz, I mean, Red Skull: neither hammy enough nor straight faced.

-Ends rather abruptly.

Even though I have concluded with more Cons than Pros i overall enjoyed this fun, if forgettable, blockbuster. Well acted, proficiently directed by Joe Johnston and with enough grip on the absurdity of the premise to never get too serious: Captain America is a "does what it says on the tin" kind of summer film. Just don't expect anything too thoughtful or original.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5
Post #: 34
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 30/7/2011 6:04:18 PM   
captainrentboy

Saw it last night and overall I much preferred Thor. Although I did enjoy it more than First Class and Iron Man 2.
I'd agree with a lot of other folk in that it definitely needed more thrilling action sequences dotted throughout. Some of them were merely ok, (Train sequence and the last part) but a bit by the numbers and over far too quickly. Y'know that bit in Thor, in the middle of the Devestator smackdown, when he grabs his hammer as it's flying towards him towards the end? That left with me with a geeky grin ear to ear, bloody loved it, and sadly there's nothing even close to bringing out that feeling in Captain America.
Chris Evans did a good job and looked the part, it's just a shame that Steve Rogers/CA is such a straight laced all American hero (Boring), meaning that Evans really had tone back his usual witty and charming ways.
The supporting characters were all good in their roles, especially Jones and Tucci, although I expected far more from Weaving. The accent was terrible and The Red Skull in general is a bit too hammy and non-threatening.

Worth a gander if you want to be totally clued up for The Avengers, but it's definitely not one of the better comic adaptations out there.

3/5.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 35
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 30/7/2011 8:52:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

It is amazing how much they screwed the ending of this movie. You, me and everyone else knows when the emotional end of this film is - and the Marvel totally screw it over.

Film is ok - but the Capt never feels in danger, the action scenes never play to him being threatened, and for most of the movie the Red Skull is on the back foot, rendering his evil somewhat moot.

A three star film - another middling effort - let down by an awfully pegged on ending.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 36
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 30/7/2011 9:57:27 PM   
SWOTBM

Meh, not as good as Thor or either of the two Ironmen (my favourite comic book character so I'm biased ).  The love interest angle was so forced that it made me switch off every time Cap and that soldier-girl were on screen together.  Would have been better if they had just skipped it and had more time of Cap in the present dealing with his loneliness (all his friends/family dead) and his outside status (completely different culture from 40's America). 

Granted they would have had to re-jig the plot in order to accomodate that, but I really don't understand how Whedon is going to be able to give Cap enough screen time to explore those feelings in the Avengers movie, especially with all the characters sharing the time (Cap, Hulk, Ironman, Thor, Fury, Hawkeye, Blackwidow, and villain- I'm assuming Loki is going to trick Hulk and use him against the Avengers, but ultimately he realises he has been played and kicks the crap out of Loki ).  Evans was good, Jones was made the most of the time he was given and the Howard Stark cameo was a very nice touch, as was the appearance of the Howling Commandos. 

Average to solid film- 3/5

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 37
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 30/7/2011 10:48:02 PM   
superdan

It's entertaining enough, three stars is probably about right for me. The cast are likeable, it looks great and some of the action is quite well done. Basically, it's not as good as Thor but better than Iron Man 2. The biggest problem I had with it was the Mars Attacks alien villain, who seemed to spend most of the movie plotting or wailing that his plot was unravelling.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 38
RE: Until The End - 30/7/2011 10:58:54 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: leigham89

I saw this on Tuesday with some friends. The one thing we all agreed on? Samuel L Jackson shouldn't be breaking life altering news to anyone.

Haha!

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com
Post #: 39
RE: Until The End - 30/7/2011 11:18:58 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

crap, crap, crap! I would write more but all of the things i disliked about the movie have already been covered here. Worst Marvel production by far. I wont be paying to watch any more Marvels first time round now. I need to test the water first!

The most disappointing thing about it was the lack of one decent action scene. As an action movie it's completely unforgivable. Crap FX too. Really basic green screen was horrendous throughout. Another advert for The Avengers and nothing more.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 40
RE: Until The End - 30/7/2011 11:19:21 PM   
sanchia

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Firstly the spoiler in the review is from the first five minutes of the film so is not much of a spoiler.

Chris Evans provides a nice presence whenever he is on screen with his easy charisma going well with the character. Tommy Lee Jones, although not a particularly well used character provides nice dry humour and is another one who has a good presence on the screen. Stanley Tucci as Dr Erskine also provided a well rounded character in the very short time that he was on screen. The score was nicely bombastic and went well with the war time setting and set the scene nicely. The 1940's setting was well constructed and enjoyable although their science appeared ahead of their time when they they state "the secret of the super soldier serum is locked in your DNA" when was not discovered until 1954 , Plot wise it follows the comic origins quite closely with a few changes here and there.

There are a few flaws such as Hugo Weavings German accent and the final fight is rather underwhelming.

there were some nice touches for the comic fan such as the Howling Commandos, the original Human Torch being on display at the expo and Armin Zola being introduced via a distorted television screen much as when he is comic as an intelligence trapped in a mobile computer.

From my perspective it was a fine film which entertained me from the very start.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 30/7/2011 11:22:19 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 41
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 30/7/2011 11:21:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

it looks great

ahem, really? The worst green screen i have seen this year. it wouldnt be so bad except the whole movie looks like it was shot on green screen

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 42
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 30/7/2011 11:52:11 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

it looks great

ahem, really? The worst green screen i have seen this year. it wouldnt be so bad except the whole movie looks like it was shot on green screen

Yeah, I liked the look of it. I didn't think it was any worse for effects than X-men or Thor for example

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 43
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 31/7/2011 12:00:55 AM   
sanchia

I too liked the look of it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 44
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 31/7/2011 12:03:28 AM   
adambatman82

I also liked the look of it. Didn't notice any particularly glaring green screen-isms.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 45
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 31/7/2011 12:16:36 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

wow

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 46
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 31/7/2011 12:51:14 AM   
vad3r

Rule of thumb - the opposite is true for all of DONOVAN KURTWOOD's film related 'opinions'.

Yet again, I love the fact that the quality of every film ever made is solely dependant on how many action scenes it contains and the quality of it's FX.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 31/7/2011 1:02:01 AM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 47
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 31/7/2011 1:43:57 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

so that means that Captain America is a bonafide classic! Flawless script, great characters, amazing plot, perfect visual fx and action. All in all a world beater.

Using your rule of thumb of course vader

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 48
RE: Love it - 31/7/2011 11:00:47 AM   
Timon

Definitely a film of two halves. - the first was great, but the second was rushed, haphazard and lacked an emotional payoff. Roger's farewell should have been heart-wrenching as should have his awakening in the 21st century, with everyone he knows and loves now dead. Instead it is was over in a matter of minutes and handled in quite the ham fisted manner. Ditto with the death of his best friend which had no real pay-off for impact.

It would have also been nice to actually know the Howling Commandos.

Still, it was good fun and the tone was spot on. Some of the FX clashed with the 1940s setting though, especially in the finale where all the sets seemed to have been replaced by green screen. Also it's nice to see that in Marvel's take on WWII, the US Army has integrated units.

Still, Evans, Tucci and Lee Jones were excellent in their respective parts and it's always good fun to see a tank that is four storeys high.

3.5/5

< Message edited by Timon -- 31/7/2011 11:02:31 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 49
Great - 31/7/2011 11:57:02 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

It would have also been nice to actually know the Howling Commandos.

I'm holding out for a spin off! The guy playing Dum Dum Dugan was note-perfect, although I'm slightly disappointed that Nick Fury didn't feature alongside them (again, that'll no doubt be the spin-off).

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: Great - 31/7/2011 12:12:29 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

It did seem strange to cast someone good like Neil Mcdonagh and then give him absolutely nothing to do. Apart from run around holding a shotgun of course. The film should make it clear to non comic fans who these characters are. I had absolutely no iea who he was supposed to be until i got home and came on the internet. He was wasted.

Post #: 51
RE: Great - 31/7/2011 12:33:33 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

It did seem strange to cast someone good like Neil Mcdonagh and then give him absolutely nothing to do. Apart from run around holding a shotgun of course. The film should make it clear to non comic fans who these characters are. I had absolutely no iea who he was supposed to be until i got home and came on the internet. He was wasted.

But then you'd have been moaning that it had been overdone with the Marvel/Avengers references! I think they gave them enough character to get the job done in this film. As a fan of the material I would have loved to have seen more (I think this could have stretched to another 30 mins at least), but that would have alienated the same people that moaned about Iron Man 2 being an advert for The Avengers.

Post #: 52
RE: Great - 31/7/2011 12:35:23 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

as it is it's too much of an advert for The Avengers, i think an extra 30 mins would've made the film feel less rushed, sadly i dont think it would make it a good film. It really felt like Marvel couldnt care less. Theyre just so eager to get all the pieces in place for Avengers.

Post #: 53
RE: Great - 31/7/2011 12:43:59 PM   
sanchia

I have to admit the teaser for the Avengers after the credits failed quite spectacularly to whet my appetite for that film.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 54
RE: Great - 31/7/2011 12:55:10 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I have to admit the teaser for the Avengers after the credits failed quite spectacularly to whet my appetite for that film.

I tend to find that with any teaser trailer really, they're usually pretty crap. I never get excited until the full trailer comes along.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 55
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 31/7/2011 8:20:29 PM   
Timon

I'm still wondering how JJ Abrams could have a gut wretching farewell between two characters that we had only just met (first 10 minutes of Star Trek) and made it more emotional than a similiar scene between two characters we have known for the entire film (Captain America).

Joe Johnson really messed that one up. I can see what he was trying to do in a A Matter Of Life and Death kind of way, but all impact was gone. It would also have been more heartbreaking to see Rogers fight to get out of the wreckage, but succumb to the cold and essentially 'die'. The whole finale was just a missed opportunity for some real heart in a film that was actually doing well in that department for the first half.

< Message edited by Timon -- 31/7/2011 8:21:39 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 56
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 1/8/2011 8:38:24 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I'm still wondering how JJ Abrams could have a gut wretching farewell between two characters that we had only just met (first 10 minutes of Star Trek) and made it more emotional than a similiar scene between two characters we have known for the entire film (Captain America).

Joe Johnson really messed that one up. I can see what he was trying to do in a A Matter Of Life and Death kind of way, but all impact was gone. It would also have been more heartbreaking to see Rogers fight to get out of the wreckage, but succumb to the cold and essentially 'die'. The whole finale was just a missed opportunity for some real heart in a film that was actually doing well in that department for the first half.

I was thinking that myself. It's a pity because its a fun enjoyable film but the ending really is a bit of a damp squib.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 1/8/2011 9:53:20 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Enjoyed the film a great deal though would've liked 2c Zemo or Struker especially as he was the original head of Hydra. My only complaints are about Bucky's age & no Nick Fury with the Howling Commandos? yes I know they've gone down the ultimate route with a black Nick now but we could've had say a thing where all heads of SHIELD down the line are called Nick Fury after the original unless it's a girl hmmmm NICOLA FURY?
Anyway an enjoyable 4* experience

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 58
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 1/8/2011 10:00:48 AM   
JIm R

Saw it yesterday and was really impressed with what Johnston has done with it, Out of all the characters that are at the heart of the Avengers, I feel CA is the most difficult to place 'reality' into given the old school beliefs he holds and how these measure up in a world that has changed so dramatically in such a small space of time from WWII.

I hope this is narrowed in on in next year's film, a man who no longer fits into anything he once stood for.

This film gave us all we needed and heartedly disagree with the claim that there was no emotional depth to the ending, from where I was sitting I caught all the back lash of seeing two people who knew 'their time had come'.

Yes, it was very 'A Matter of Life or Death' but worked well and the Times Square piece at the end was the start of seeing a man lost I thought.

Good action, solid humour where required and good story. Evans was all from Rogers you expected and Atwell was brilliant.

A fine piece of entertainment.

Four Stars and the best of the summer comic book films IMO.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 59
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 1/8/2011 10:07:35 AM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Enjoyed the film a great deal though would've liked 2c Zemo or Struker especially as he was the original head of Hydra. My only complaints are about Bucky's age & no Nick Fury with the Howling Commandos? yes I know they've gone down the ultimate route with a black Nick now but we could've had say a thing where all heads of SHIELD down the line are called Nick Fury after the original unless it's a girl hmmmm NICOLA FURY?
Anyway an enjoyable 4* experience

You know that the film's set over a couple of years? Any sequels could easily place themselves in those years and have enemies such as Zemo.

Bucky was aged because no chance in hell would the army let a kid work with Captain America, let alone enlist in the army! They also did that so they can bring him back as Winter Soldier in sequels.

< Message edited by BatFan -- 1/8/2011 10:08:11 AM >

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I love Colin Kennedy! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI