Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The First Avenger: Captain America

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The First Avenger: Captain America Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The First Avenger: Captain America - 26/7/2011 7:10:09 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Yeah, this is a great kids movie... - 27/7/2011 2:46:16 AM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

...but I couldn't make it to the end. So far, Iron Man 1(Iron Man 2 was terrible) is still the best Avengers movie and the rest are lagging way behind. This Marvel franchise is a bit of a disaster. Ang Lee's Hulk had more heart than any of these movies. Funnily enough, Ang's the only director out of the bunch to win an Oscar - coincidence?

Ang Lee's Hulk is terrible.  Slow, boring, pretentious.

The Incredible Hulk was much better.  Thor was better.  Haven't seen this yet but it looks decent enough, reviews have been kind. 

Major fucking spoiler Empire.
Post #: 2
RE: Yeah, this is a great kids movie... - 27/7/2011 6:41:48 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

...but I couldn't make it to the end. So far, Iron Man 1(Iron Man 2 was terrible) is still the best Avengers movie and the rest are lagging way behind. This Marvel franchise is a bit of a disaster. Ang Lee's Hulk had more heart than any of these movies. Funnily enough, Ang's the only director out of the bunch to win an Oscar - coincidence?

Hmm, I would say 'fair point' as I'm a fan of Hulk (and Lee in general) but winning an Oscar is hardly a confirmation of quality, and secondly, Kenneth Branagh's been nominated for numerous Oscars as well as winning shit-loads of BAFTAs and other awards.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 27/7/2011 6:42:33 AM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 3
RE: Cheers! - 27/7/2011 8:58:36 AM   
UTB

WHOPPING spoiler?

I know nothing about Captain American but the fact this film has been done in order to do the Avengers movie (set in the modern day) and this is set in WW2.. it's not rocket surgery, is it?

Post #: 4
RE: Cheers! - 27/7/2011 9:02:32 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

WHOPPING spoiler?

I know nothing about Captain American but the fact this film has been done in order to do the Avengers movie (set in the modern day) and this is set in WW2.. it's not rocket surgery, is it?

I think the issue is that not that everybody knew the event would take place but when it would take place, at the end of this one or beginning of Avengers.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 5
RE: Cheers! - 27/7/2011 9:17:57 AM   
UTB

Fair enough. 

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 6
RE: IDIOTS - 27/7/2011 10:22:55 AM   
lukeyboy

Yeah - I'm not usually one to moan about reviews and reviewers and because I know all about Captain America and The Avengers I'm not too upset, but that review was chock full of spoilers and has actually annoyed me quite a bit. Poor show Empire!

My one star is for the review - not the movie!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!
Post #: 7
The Spoiler - 27/7/2011 10:33:08 AM   
sowasred2012

Does suck that the ending was given away in the review, but I can kinda see why he brought it up - you fall in love with the period, and then the end happens and you're sort of slapped in the face with a "tough shit, he's in The Avengers now!".

Personally, I hope they do a few more Cap films set in WW2, they make room for other stories in that period during this film.

Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

http://www.srmason.co.uk/blog/
http://www.twitter.com/sowasred2012

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 8
RE: The Spoiler - 27/7/2011 10:38:36 AM   
swordsandsandals

It makes sense that he brought up the ending - it's apparently a massive whopping cynical negative in a film they otherwise enjoyed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to sowasred2012)
Post #: 9
RE: The Spoiler - 27/7/2011 10:41:12 AM   
Jansolo

To be honest this review is so predictable.

Empire gives all Marvel movies 3 stars as I don't think they have a knowledge of comics. These days a knowledge of films is not enough as the genres are blending. The line: "poor patriotic Cap turns out to be a stiff." shows they have no idea. Captain America IS a stiff. He is single minded and naive. That is the point.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 10
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 27/7/2011 10:42:49 AM   
waltham1979

Cmon Empire - I love you guys I really do; you rock my f*ckin world - but giving away the ending to the film???!!! To quote my teenage little brother "WTF!!"; he has never read a comic in his life and you've pretty much just ruined the film for him...I wanna defend you all against the bottom feeders that come on here and review the review...but geez you gotta help me out a little!!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 11
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 27/7/2011 10:49:16 AM   
Rob

Whoops! I'd say that's a massive spoiler for people unfamiliar with the comics. Oh well at least it gives us something else to discuss aside from the usual number of stars debate!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 12
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 27/7/2011 10:59:44 AM   
szoni

How lucky can be if you read the comments on review instead of the review itself!
The premier will be only the next week at our place, so I otherwise try to avoid the reviews.
After watching I will check...

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 13
RE: Get over it - 27/7/2011 1:21:45 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: bryanbotsareli

Jesus, just read the comments what a bunch of douchebags, once again its the reviewers opinion, we all new it wouldn't be a 5 star film it had 3 stars written all over it, which I predict Cowboy and aliens will get as will the Avengers movie, don't believe the hype !

Don't think anyone has criticised the star rating it got given - given that I don't think anyone could have seen it yet be kinda hard too. Just the whopper of a spoiler at the end of the review about how the film ends...bit shit really!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Enzino

To the people who moan that Empire gives away the ending, I want to say "Duh!" If you know about the upcoming Avengers film you could have put two and two together.

Your assuming that everyone knew about The Avengers film - I know plenty of people that will watch this but if I say Avengers at them they will think i'm off my fuckin rocker. Sorry, you can't excuse giving away a fucking whopper of a spoiler like that in the review!!

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 27/7/2011 3:27:41 PM >

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 14
RE: That's what's worried me since I learned about The ... - 27/7/2011 3:19:24 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Enzino

Ever since I found out they were making The Avengers I was concerned about how it would curtail Captain America's triumph at the end of his film. Since The Avengers is set today and Cap's story starts in World War 2 I knew there would have to be some sort of period where he is either cryogenically frozen or I thought the other solution would be that he was incredibly long lived because he's a super soldier (don't know that comics that well). So in other words when he gets to The Avengers his love interest and all his friends would be dead. What a bummer! To the people who moan that Empire gives away the ending, I want to say "Duh!" If you know about the upcoming Avengers film you could have put two and two together. But I'm still bummed and agree with Empire's suggestion that they should have left the unfreezing for the next film. Aren't they going to make any more follow-up standalone adventures for Cap then?

I think the intentions for any future Captain America standalone films are that they'll be set in the present day.
Post #: 15
RE: That's what's worried me since I learned about The ... - 27/7/2011 3:43:12 PM   
st3veebee

What a truly shocking review. No mention of Weaving, Atwell or Lee Jones? Ending given away. On the fence rating. From reading this he may as well have reviewed a quick synopsis of the film. Not impressed one bit.

Still looking forward to it though.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 16
RE: That's what's worried me since I learned about The ... - 27/7/2011 4:08:02 PM   
Gazdance

Oh boo hoo hoo! Bore off everyone.

Do people actually discuss THE FILM on these threads anymore?

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 17
RE: That's what's worried me since I learned about The ... - 27/7/2011 5:07:56 PM   
efc91

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

People are not discussing the film yet because it isn't out in most countries yet. So in the meantime we are talking about the review.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 18
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 27/7/2011 6:07:42 PM   
spamandham

Terrible film. Fills me with dread for the avengers next year; all of their films are crappy apart from the first ironman.

< Message edited by spamandham -- 27/7/2011 6:08:10 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 19
RE: That's what's worried me since I learned about The ... - 27/7/2011 9:50:23 PM   
UTB

quote:

Fuck off.. reviews of the film don't start until page 5 for summer blockbusters. Get with the programme.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 20
RE: Still wanna see it. - 28/7/2011 12:38:15 AM   
Hood_Man

That was a pretty dick move... it might not matter to some people but most don't want the ending spoiled for a film they're about to see. It doesn't have to be some earth shattering event movie, even the most cynical romantic comedy may not necessarily end with the man and the woman driving off into the sunset.

These things are subjective you know...

[EDIT]

I will still see it though, it's just a shame that the big moment at the end won't be a surprise

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 28/7/2011 12:46:56 AM >
Post #: 21
RE: DISGRACEFUL journalism. - 28/7/2011 11:30:39 AM   
Barry

I don't see the point in complaining about ratings and reviews as opinions are subjective, this reviewer is entitled to his opinion of the film and if he works for Empire, presumably he has some acumen to back up his views...

But giving away the whole ending of the film? Saying who dies? Saying what happens to the protagonist? Are you kidding me????

I genuinely, honestly believe that this review should be pulled. It's already been online for far too long. It is an appalling spoiler and it will ruin the film for anyone who reads it.

I'm astonished that despite these comments and people in your offices, I'm sure, saying so, that this review is still up.

< Message edited by Barry -- 28/7/2011 11:32:28 AM >

"We're gonna need a bigger boat..."
Post #: 22
RE: Wow - 28/7/2011 12:07:03 PM   
jpdisco

No surprises here - Empire reviews have been full of spoilers for a while now. The new breed of reviewers just don't actually seem to be able to write about a film without simply outlining what happens throughout. It's simple, avoid Empire reviews until you've seen the movie...
Post #: 23
RE: Wow - 28/7/2011 12:08:08 PM   
jpdisco

Would be nice to see one of the Empire staffers come on and comment on this - I'd like to hear their take on things....

Anyone?

(in reply to jpdisco)
Post #: 24
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 28/7/2011 1:51:04 PM   
Filmfan 2

Jesus Christ, thank you VERY MUCH Empire for spoiling yet another movie with your review! I usually read the last paragraph of your reviews for a summing up rather than the whole thing, as I've learned the bitter lesson in the past of having your guys ruin the ending of a movie in your reviews. I'll definitely be going back to reading your reviews post-viewing now.

Seriously guys, you might argue that mentioning plot points is necessary for your reviews, and perhaps that's true. If you must include plot points that are massive spoilers however, could you please signpost it at the top of the review. Printing the words 'Contains Spoilers' doesn't take up that much additional energy.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 28/7/2011 2:26:14 PM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to szoni)
Post #: 25
RE: The First Avenger: Captain America - 28/7/2011 3:33:42 PM   
princessa

Just seen this.  It was ok but nothing special.

The first hour really dragged for me IMO they spent way too long setting up the backstory.

The scenes with the Nazi's bored me, they should have cut them down.

The plot didn't really work for me.

Loved the last hour and the twist at the end was good.

Most of the actors were good here but the lead was wooden and lacked charisma.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 26
RE: That's what's worried me since I learned about The ... - 28/7/2011 4:22:30 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

What,.....you mean like yourself?

Hypocrite!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 27
A Review - 29/7/2011 1:07:24 AM   
hollerme

If noone minds I wanted to post my opinion on the film (final sentence contains spoiler for post-credits scene - which is not part of the plot for this film - and spoiler warnings are given again):

The major superhero films of the year ends with Captain America: The First Avenger, and having watched them all I feel the need to compare this to the other movies that have already been released...

... and in doing so I feel that while Captain America does not end the run of superhero flicks with a bang, it does provide entertainment during its running time. Above average, and providing enough material to make me intrigued at what a sequel could bring, it sadly has some problems that almost equal what works well.

From director Joe Johnston Captain America plays like a Saturday morning serial much like his earlier film The Rocketeer, and with that comes lighthearted fun, some fluffy action, and a lack of intense moments that makes it very different to Thor. Its message is simple as we see the meaning of courage in the form of Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) who will do anything to fight for his country. His intention to join the army is not to kill but simply to stop the bullying which he has been enduring his whole life, and which the world is enduring at the hands of the Nazis. It's admirable particularly in this era and I commend a film that can successfully teach this message to children.

Unfortunately while there are many elements of a Saturday morning serial which work with this material, there are also some that don't, its lightheartedness dampening moments where great emotion is required for the scene in order to move the audience with what has happened, whether it be a character's death or a moment of mourning as the odds stack up against our heroes. Alan Silvestri's score does not help matters either - while patriotic and fitting this superhero well, its persistence to remain throughout the film (not since the first National Treasure have I heard a score that is reluctant to stop playing) causes the impact of the music to lessen, the tune no longer underscoring the feelings it is intended to convey but instead overwhelming the proceedings. Still, we are presented with a musical number in the middle and a tragic score towards the end of the film which do work well.

The casting is perfect. Chris Evans matches his character perfectly, and despite the use of CGI it is his performance that makes it believable and his character worth rooting for. Ditto with Hayley Atwell as love interest Peggy Carter who is perfect in her role and other stars from Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones to Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark (a welcome member of the ensemble) and Hugo Weaving as Red Skull, playing a boo-hiss villain which fits into the Saturday morning serial aspect of this film, even if this iconic villain is far less memorable than a certain computer-generated character he once played.

Yet the best aspect of this film is Tommy Lee Jones who steals every scene he's in, has all the best lines (including one towards the end which had everyone laughing), and is fortunately a major presence in the plot. His ability to balance humor with drama makes me once again anticipate his performance in MIB III (and hope his role in that film will be large, considering Josh Brolin will play his character too).

While the final battle is pretty anti-climactic (a typical beat-em-up with nothing unique to bring to the proceedings) the subsequent scene is a memorable and emotional one, bringing to mind a certain character from '24''s own exit from the show.

Ultimately Captain America is fairly entertaining, features strong performances from the cast (particularly Tommy Lee Jones, Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, and Stanley Tucci) but is let down by in its inability to make an impact when it calls for drama.

[SPOILER FOR POST-CREDITS SCENE]It does however feature a wonderful post-credits scene: The teaser trailer for The Avengers which includes all the expected characters, the villain (), a hint at the humor and a peek at the action. I anticipate its release next year.[/SPOILER FOR POST-CREDITS SCENE]
Post #: 28
RE: I love Colin Kennedy! - 29/7/2011 7:28:40 PM   
Roykfrapp

Is this the year of the poor blockbuster at every turn? Well i think so anyway and this is another example of why. Get ready to yawn as the unexciting action unfolds.
Firstly, let me just say, this is by no means a bad film, just a generically, fundamentally average one. However if your a huge fan of the Marvel comic heroes you will not do any harm adding an extra half mark.
The film is heavy on good vs evil and thinks it is winning the audience over with its patriotism. Fine for the kids maybe but with the lack of an original story and depth in the characters this will be average Saturday night fare for the rest of us. In an age when America and its policies have become muddled, it is refreshing to see such common values placed on the stars and stripes shoulders but it quickly descends into a hell of a lot of Cheddar.
The script doesn't ever match Hugo, Evans and Jones's credentials and its all very run of the mill dialogue although Stanley Tucci, with a unique accent, brings about some feeling. There is some average Cgi in places and although one or two nice touches in the action scenes, it is all rather predictable. Its amusing really as for a few seconds during the start i did get a twitch of excitement because i felt they had gone down the Raiders of the Lost Ark route. But alas this never fully comes to fruition.
Three further things to note;
1. The scene where Evan's weak, scrawny character sacrifices himself on a grenade is too far-fetched.
2.Cgi is not in proportion for the said character before the transformation into Captain America and..
3. Its a real shame that Batman and the X-Men will not be in The Avengers because for all Downey Junior's efforts as Ironman, it will sorely lack that something special. But of course we will have to wait and see. As for Captain America, by all means it is no Transformers 3, but it will only satisfy until the next extremely average super hero movie comes along. What is it they say? Wait for the DVD.

http://www.freewebs.com/therewillbefilmreviews/
Post #: 29
RE: I love Colin Kennedy! - 29/7/2011 8:08:23 PM   
jmebaby25

Awful, awful film.

I didn't go in with high expectations (to be honest, I rate Chris Evans and wanted to be up to date for the Avengers), but I was still disappointed.

The film was perfectly fine until he became Captain America. I felt the way they'd made Evans look short and scrawny was very impressive (although his head was a little too large) and there were a few nice, if not clichéd, exchanges with Tommy Lee Jones and Tucci.

However, as soon as the transformation occurred, the movie descended into farce. I couldn't believe what was unfolding before my eyes. I'm not particularly familiar with the comics, so may Johnson was simply being faithful to the source material, but if so, it was a mistake. Nolan has the right approach, where possible ground it in reality and remove the ridiculous and outright silly aspects which may work in a children's comic book, but not on the big screen.

We'll ignore the fairly average screenplay and muddled story - it was poor. Enough said.

The Red Skull looked pathetic for two reasons - firstly the make up was poorly done, secondly, Weaving is walking around like an irate Skeletor for goodness sakes. Maybe it's how he looks in the comic book, but he just looked stupid. They should have simply made him horribly disfigured from the super soldier serum.

Then you have his henchmen dressed up like gimps at an S&M party. And what was with the ridiculous two armed salute? Then there's the array of hilariously cheap looking sets and vehicles. The whole thing after the transformation was simply awful. And then they had large glow in the dark ray guns! Ray guns! In the 2nd World War.... ray guns! This is before Tony Stark has been born, in that same universe where he was captured in Afghanistan. Favreau went to such lengths to begin Iron Man with a gritty war-torn Afghan setting, and Johnson has introduced glow-in-the-dark rays-guns into the same universe.

I can only suspend disbelief to a certain extent. Super Soldier Serum, fine... I'll buy into that, because that's the high-concept, but they should have played everything else straight and historically detailed. Cap vrs the Red Skull and a bunch of nazis rather than flamethrowing, ray-gun-firing gimps. He's not really going to be a fish out of water in The Avengers, because if anything, the time he was from is more advanced than ours based on this film.

As an aside... I didn't get chance to see Thor, did the cube that the Red Skull possessed have anything to do with it? Odin's treasure was mentioned and ***SPOILER*** there was no explanation for how the Red Skull died or what happened to him... but I got the impression it was again related to Thor, or Asgard. If so, I'm a little miffed that Captain America doesn't make sense if you haven't see Thor (or maybe it just didn't make sense period).

The film gets 2 stars simply because before the transformation, I thought it was pretty good. Tommy Lee Jones did his usual thing to good effect. The love interest was dull. As was Cap's relationship with anyone post Tucci. When (****SPOILER****) Bucky died, I didn't care less, sure Cap looked upset, but nothing presented on screen told us why.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Roykfrapp)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The First Avenger: Captain America Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI